Do you commit any of these 5 mistakes with your Online Dating?

On-line dating is here to stay! Here's how to make it work for YOU!

For better or worse, online dating is here and it is NOT going away any time soon.

Tinder, Bumble, OurTime, OKCupid, Match.com. eHarmony: they are all ready for you to sign up, look around, and turn someone on.

But, sometimes online dating gets a bit overwhelming, becoming almost a second full time job! Here are the 5 THINGS the experts say you should and shouldn't do when you're online dating.

1. DON'T BE LAZY!

More details = better match potential. Don't be lazy!

Complete your profile as fully as possible. Take the time to write down information about you that will help others know about you, your likes and dislikes, etc. By doing so, you will save yourself a lot of time, headaches, and maybe even the heartache of dating the wrong people.

2. DON'T TAKE REJECTION PERSONALLY!

Expect disappointment. Don't get discouraged. Move on!

Once in the online dating sea, expect to be disappointed and rejected! This is normal: when it happens, don’t take it personally. And don't get discouraged! There are plenty of fish in the sea! Be happy that you didn’t waste your time with someone who isn't even ready to give it a try with you!

3. DON'T PLAY GAMES!

Leave the game playing to the kiddies. Be honest, for better or worse.

Games are useless, especially when finding a potential partner. If you enjoyed your date, let the other person know. If you like them, say it and don’t try to play "pretend" to make them want you or chase you more. Instead, make it clear! If the feeling is mutual, you can easily figure it out from there. It’s time to grow and be mature about potential relationships.

4. DO HOLD OTHERS TO CLEAR COMMUNICATION!

Clear through the
Clear through the "bla, bla". Take the time to communicate frequently and well.

... and set an example by communicating clearly yourself. We are all busy people and have many things to accomplish each day. But, we should want to MAKE the time to speak with the important people in our lives! If they want to communicate, they will and nothing will stop them! Poor communication is a common issue in online dating, but it really doesn’t have to be.

5. DON'T RUSH THINGS!

Finding that special person is a marathon, NOT a sprint. Pace yourself!

Take your time and enjoy things (as much as you can, at least, in some cases). Good dating is not that easy! Online dating statistic studies show that about one-third of online dating never go out on an actual date. Still other studies show that number at high as 70% never follow through.

Think of dating and finding that one special person as a marathon, not a sprint!

819
Massageman is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girls

• I'll just put this here... I met my ex husband online... Now if I use it which I have over last summer it was to find a friends with benefits... which was very successful. Key is being honest and laying out exactly what you want... HONESTLY. Otherwise you set an expectation you never will fulfill and hurt people. Meeting people face to face is best for actual relationships. My ex had a glowing self review that never wouldn't taught me who he'd be post marriage. It can happen with anyone... we just tend to put higher stock in online profiles. It also seems those we find online we marry quicker then ones we meet in person. Thinking it's because most online engagements are long distance. Not worth it. Get to know them for awhile... try out all the parts... then decide if you want to live with it forever or can't live without it forever..

• So, don't play games. Thanks for your points.

• Right! What’s the point? Hurts everyone involved. Too old to not just lay out the expectation from the start and make conscious choices from there!

• The first and foremost is finding a site that is not full of fake profiles, people who don't really want to date and are just on the site for chatting, and of course you want to avoid cat fishers. One of the keys to that is to stay away from free sites like OKCupid and Plentyoffish. You get what you pay for. People wanting to just chat, catfish, or create fake profiles don't want to pay for that so I would think a pay site like Match may work better. eHarmony is another to avoid. I was on there 8 years ago and have not been active since and I am still getting matches and having people message me. Seems like they never delete old profiles there and keep matching people to others who haven't been active in years. Maybe that is why no one ever replies to you. They have been long gone.

• Or you could go out in the real world and meet people for free!

• @EclipseoftheHeart I would actually argue that online dating is more time consuming because you don't really know someone's intentions whereas in person you can build interest quickly or get rejected and move on straight away.

• And you can go on a date straight away often as the person is right in front of you when you approach them if they have 30 minutes or less to spare.

Most Helpful Guys

• As an online dating coach, # 1 is the most important in a way where you need to answer the questions honestly. Don't say you enjoy hiking, camping, and fishing if you don't own hiking boots, haven't been camping since you were a kid and haven't held a fishing pole in 20 years. This kind of laziness is the worst. Just don't try and fill your profile with cliche filler material... it never works. Be honest as possible about your likes and dislikes and you will match with people who you will find a better chemistry with. Good MyTake.

• Yeah, but pics are still 90%...

• @zagor Which are mostly crap anyway because no one wants to invest in 150 bucks to get some photos taken. If Men just invested a little they would be killing it.

• This was nice. I've been on and off online dating for years now and I can confirm. It's very hard!!!

I do believe it can work but your right about it being a marathon. I think even for the people who were successful with it, it probably took them along time with a lot of consistency in order to meet the right person.

Join the discussion

617
  • Another one to add: make sure you have GOOD pictures on your profile, pictures are KEY when it comes to online dating. Bare minimum there should be one full body portrait that clearly outlines a picture of your height/figure, and one upper body portrait that clearly shows your face (no sunglasses, no hat, etc). After you have those two pictures covered you can (and should) post a few more photos that outline your hobbies, show you and your pet (if you have one), or maybe even one with you and a couple of family or friends. For these few more photos you can relax the rules a bit, a sunglasses or hats are fine here as long as there are pictures that clearly show your face and body.

Avoid pictures that aren't recent, pictures where you're only with one or multiple members of the opposite sex, group photos, photos where you aren't in them, or photos where your face is completely covered.

I had a very low match rate on Tinder until I started taking better photos and optimized my profile, then I was getting minimum one match per day.

• Honestly, I've found online dating a waste of time.

• Don’t do online dating. Instead, go to a coffee shop or a strip club. Women will date anybody at those places.

• 6. Be aware of all the bots and fake profiles that are among all the real ones just to make things even trickier!

• 1. Don't send money.

2. Stop responding to botnets and and Nigerians scammers on gmail.

3. Use trusted services.

I know too many gullible dudes who have lost thousands because some scammer sent them photos of some pretty women.

• Depends little what you're after and what kind of person your after how you construct your profile.

In many cases you don't need to completely fill the profile or have more than 1 pic and gender.
    The reason is people have been lying to much in to many years. females aren't an exception.

• All the more reason to have many pics and a complete profile so you won't look like you are a fake with one stolen picture.

• Doesn't really matter.
      To many have made serious profiles to get all from attention to just sex.
      It doesn't really matter if you fill it up with pics facts.
      It's how you construct the whole makes what you attract as individuals, very rarely what those are after.

You have a very funny effect.
      The more facts you give in a profile about yourself the more trash you get. you get those that are idealists, only looking fo a perfect on paper that they fake they are in love with the person but are only in love with the perfect on paper (trophy partner complex).

Do you write emotional in a romantic way you get those that lives in a fantasy world that are after someone because they lives in a romantic fantasy, they fall in love with the fairytale not you. or on the thought of love (in love with love not you).
      This one tends to be serial monogamist.

You have those that suffers frome silver plate complex.

Even goods gifts for men.

and so on.

Most off those and other groups aren't really after serious relationship that's on online dating.
      Only from attention to sex. A huge bunch of female's are there for getting dating kicks of some sort there sex many times are counted in , nothing else.

No matter who it is of those non serious ones they uses the thing we wasn't right after they have gotten what they are after to appear innocent and serious.

• Good points. Thanks for reading and the input.

• I'm horrible at communicating. I prefer face to face but it can be dangerous on dating apps.

• I don't blame you. Thanks for reading.

• It would seem easier for some to communicate in writing as you wouldn't have that nervous first meeting. If you talk to someone on line for a bit you will be much more at ease because you know something of the person to begin with and probably know what things you have in common. Conversation would not dry up as fast that way. It also allows you to not waste time by being able to rule out those you would have no interest in.

• @EclipseoftheHeart Good points. Thanks for reading.

• "DON'T TAKE REJECTION PERSONALLY!"
    Everything's personal if you're a person. I think you mean "don't let rejection by any one particular person effect your self-esteem as your own person".

• If you are confident person and someone rejects you for some superfluous reason, you learn to just ignore it. Thanks for reading.

• I've been guilty of some of these. But I realized online dating is pointless for the most part. You're better off doing it the old-fashioned way.

• 1) Full profile, plenty of pics, description of what I like/looking for
    2) Even if I get a response, I don't take it personally, I'm not expecting a yes.
    Emoji I'm open and honest with others, don't try to be chased (far too much effort to run:))
    4) I try to be clear and communicate as best I can... I lack skills but do my best.
    5) If you added up my total years membership of dating sites, it is probably closer to 100 years than nothing.

I try to avoid all the obvious issues but online dating is about as soul destroying as looking for a new job. Either you send your cv to hundreds of places you don't want to work or you concentrate on a few worthy places. Both end up with rejection until they don't.

• Ya gotta be joking. You mean a dating service?
    The women are there for validation and attention. The vast majority have zero intention of ever meeting anybody, let alone dating. They'll state right in their profile, "Don't waste me time", or "I'm not going to settle". They actually think there's some price charming out there that is going to swoop in and sweep them off their feet. After all, they've been told this from the time they could talk. Even Disney gets in on this shtick.
    And the guys are just looking for sex. A hook up, some cheap quick sex, and then NEXT.
    It's really a dynamic combination to see and experience.

• "Do hold others to clear communication"? There are few enough interested women as it is without holding them to a standard they can't meet.

• I must go on the wrong sites, all they want is to meet up for sex...

• 1

I haven't deleted my tinder app, but whenever I get a notification I ignore it.

• Online dating sucks and the same inactive profiles stay up forever.

• Yeah I do lag with #1; just too lazy to fill everything out.

• Online dating is impossible. Women never respond back to messages so there is no point.

• They never respond back to YOUR messages. If there weren't some guys who know how to create value to women through messaging the women would disappear from dating apps.

Don't ask boring questions, you have to be unique, funny, and flirty.

• @MusicMayhem

"Don't ask boring questions, you have to be unique, funny, and flirty. "

Hurrdur, thanks for the lame advice. It takes two people to communicate. Women don't respond back. It doesn't matter what you send. It takes two people to communicate.

• @ThirtyEight But only one to start the interaction which is you as the man. If you want girls to respond to you you need to show value to differentiate yourself from the boring guys who just say hi and ask the same shit.

• ONline dating is pointless

• I'm not sold on it either.

• If any relationship is temporary it's pointless and waste of time. Agree?

• I met my current boyfriend through an online dating app, we've been together for over a year now, and it's looking like a forever thing

• I don't do online dating, so I'm safe. :-)

• Wow I love it

• My first mistake was creating a profile

• i've made these mistakes with my online dating

• I don't do online dating