Should I be offended that my boyfriend called me a bimbo whilst with a group of friends?

So basically I just got back with my ex and I guess for me it's still a bit of recovery phase (rebuilding trust etc.) I was playing online games with by boyfriend , a not so close mutual friend and the friend's friend. When I got on the mutual friend started teasing me by saying "Can you hurry up you bimbo?/Can you stop being a bimbo... etc" Then his other friends also joined in (just repeating what he said). Immature for guys in their 20s I think even though I think they didn't really mean it (I hope). Nevertheless, my ex - now back again boyfriend also called me a bimbo. After putting some thought into it, I feel pretty unset and angry at them for calling me such. For me, I would've thought that a reasonable boyfriend will defend me or at least not join in calling me your current girlfriend a bimbo even though it it was in a teasing tone. Plus the fact that, whilst we were broken up, I heard from a mutual friend that he actually called/labelled me dumb - which he also rmbs saying but said it was a long time ago and that it was fairly close to the time when we just broke up... etc. Now I'm thinking, does he really think I'm below him/dumb/bimbo/someone that he doesn't respect or am I over-reacting? What does everyone think?

65

Most Helpful Guy

• He should have seen or felt that you didn't take this joke very well, and stopped calling you that. He should have called you Ms. ____ instead once he realized that he and his friends had hit on one of your sore points.

But no, he didn't mean seriously you were stupid.

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely a dick move. My ex did this all the time when we played games online with his friends... but well... Even worse really. There was this one "mutual friend" who I couldn't stand. He was so arrogant and thought he was gods gift. He didn't like me either. Constantly being called a "b*tch" by him and to "shut the f*ck up" basically. My ex wouldn't even say anything or put them in their place even though he was the "alpha" one in the group and put them in their place all the time with other stuff. When I defended myself he would tell me to shut up and stop causing drama/over-reacting.

With the guys that I actually got on with, well they would tease me too. I don't know if it's just because they forget you're not "one of the lads" or what. I was always the butt of the joke and even went as far as saying I felt bullied. They all told me that they liked me and I was part of the group (although I always felt like I was just his annoying girlfriend). I don't know if it's just how boys are or what. There was only one guy in the group who would actually tease me in a "nice" way. Pretty much in a flirty way to be honest. He would make sure I knew he was joking. Jokes on my ex tho because that guy ended up being my boyfriend after him hahaha.

Looking back though, I feel like part of it stemmed from my own insecurities. Apart from with that one guy who f*cking hated me. Just talk to him about it and tell him you don't like it. Especially when he joins in because it's hurtful.

What Guys Said 4

• He was an ex for a reason. If you didn't know what that reason was before you should certainly know now.

• No thats not ok.. In relation there's a king and his queen.. And they should be against those who are against you.. They never disrespect each other

• That's pretty dicky. Tell him to go fuck himself. Talk to him. Like seriously.

• i have massive respect for that guy tbh

What Girls Said 5

• Are you serious? I'd call them a bunch of wankers, break up with your boyfriend in front of all of them, and fucking leave.

• You are not over-reacting. I do think that he doesn't respect you. Whenever this guy is with my boyfriend and i (our close friend) and calls me stupid in a jokingly way. My boyfriend kicks him and defends me. If he can't defend you from his friends, then there must be a reason whyyou broke up in the first place. he's not worth it, girl.

• You can do better.

• This us why you don't get back with exes

• dump his ass