Is a woman's looks the most important factor for men?

Not the only factor, but the most important.

• Yes
  • No

1866

Most Helpful Girl

• Most important? Depends on how you look at it; most people are drawn to others by their appearance initially so you could say so, but for many if you have the personality of a Nazi crap-sack, how hot you are won't do much for some.

Most Helpful Guy

• No... its the first important factor not the most... because that is what draws a man in...

• Nailed it - very accurate answer.
      One caveat: not all that glitters is gold. ... though I guess you implied that.

• If a man isn't drawn in, then no relationship or sex occurs. Nothing compensates for looks, so I think it _is_ the most important factor.

• Agreed. It's the same for women. If there's not an initial attraction then there's nothing to begin with. No one goes at the someone says "hey I'm not attracted to you, but you look like you're really nice".

What Girls Said 17

• Oh definitely.
    Why? I've seen plenty of guys who go on dates because they love how the girl looks, they lie to themsleves that she's also funny and smart... and perfect for them until the reality hits them, but they still stay in the relationship because they don't want to give up the sex... and how his friends view him as some sort of a hero for pulling off such a hot girl.
    He's also, of course, shopping around for someone equally as hot - with a hopefully better personality. When he thinks he finds her, he leaves the first one and moves on... And the cycle either goes on, or the girl dumps him first...
    Either way, they would make all sorts of excuses for the hot women and date them proudly and despite of their actual emotional needs... because looks, although not everything, are what's most important to the majority of them.

• I think looks determines whether the relationship will start while personality determines whether the relationship will last.

• I think a lot of men also care about personality, but it depends on what stage of life they are in and what kind of partener they are looking for

• Most if not all of us care about personality.
      What she is like to us, avoiding money grabbing types and likes us for the right reasons , looking for someone that wants complimentary things , trustworthy , trusting of us but not naive.

• It might be for a very shallow man. But I don't think that's the case for the most part.

• I think it's important to have that initial attraction not just for men but for anyone - the first encounter between two people will be solely based on looks and if that doesn't light the spark then I'd argue that it would be a means to an end.

• Most guys will go for someone who is attractive to them or easy on the eyes. That doesn't mean you have to look like 10 or have a supermodel body. I never cared how people perceived me, or if any guy liked me. Stuff like that is way to overwhelming.

• Looks are like 95% to guys and 5% is personality. And any guy who says otherwise is straight up lying. Guys are totally visual creatures.

• Obviously you hangout at bars too often.

• @GraveTruth I don't hate men at all. I love men. I have loads of male friends and I grew up with two brothers who I adore. I just don't put up with bullshit from any gender. And I just want people to tell the truth. But that line is pretty cringey TBH.

• @GraveTruth just call a spade a damn spade! Men are visual. That's why they date girls who with no personality who are hot but vapid.

• Sure, most people want the best they can get. I do think guys will settle way more often though.

• I think that something needs to attract them physically. Like the legs, ass, eyes, face, body, etc.. But not every part of a woman has to be attractive. Personality is a must unless he's just planning to fuck her.

• hell no. as its not for men. there are millions and millions beautiful people on this earth, but only a handful beautiful hearts... .

• Those who said no are idiots.

Psychology research will say yes. The most important factor for guys when dating is in fact looks.

For girls, it's status and wealth

Look it up

• Im sorry but thats certainly idoitic to label everyone the same.
      For me it has never been the most important factor by far, if anything its kinda completely meaningless.

In either case you are already proven wrong with just that, and obviously too not every girl care about status and wealth.

• @Tanuron awww You two sound butt hurt...:(((((

@Appleandoranges22

1- that's a fallacy. My argument still holds the same
      2-yeah right. Completely Meaningless? Forget about attraction. Looks play a huge rule in "who" you are/ turn out to be. Following that, if you dismiss someone's looks you're dismissing a part of who they are. A HUGE PART OF THEIR IDENTITY. So how could it not be an important factor

• butthurt about what?

You dont really have any argument beside sweeping everyone with the same broom.
      Not everyone care about looks as much as you do, so no. can't really change the bone structure (or well maybe with crazy surgeries etc) and make up simply hide or enhance what is already there, so stupid to base anything on your own imagination or false perceptions other than, "hey this girl put on make up" the reasons why is a personality thing. Clothing for example could say more in many ways really, but how about just simply accepting people for however they may look, whatever they may look like and just take it step by step judging by their personality. You seriously dont think that is possible?

• For a lot of men, yes. I've seen men admit to it. If you're not going to give a woman the time of day just because of the way she looks, what do you call that?

• It depends on how the guy looks at it, but in all honesty, the appearance of someone does attract you to walk over to them and strike up a convo!

• Men care for looks more than women, but it's not the only thing they want... I hope.

• I know society makes it seem like it is nowadays but I actually wonder the same thing. When I was in my early to middle teenage years I wasn't exactly attractive and always felt sad that I couldn't get male attention. Now that I'm in my twenties I look a lot better now than I did then but I wouldn't say I have the best luck with men. They don't really approach/flirt with me. I know that men can get intimidated about approaching as do girls but sometimes I can't help but wonder if something is actually drawing guys away from me.

• It's not, they just need someone to fuck.

• it is important

What Guys Said 65

• Depends on how you look at it, pun intended. Looks are not completely separate from personality. Being unhappy is probably the number one cause of overeating, and ultimately obesity. Thinner women are more likely to be happy and fun to be around. Same for men too.

Also, many women are completely delusional about how fat they are. I'm 5'9" 180 and I'm pretty muscular, I can bench 335 and deadlift 500, I would consider myself overweight, little bit of a spare tire. A woman who is 5'5" 160 is obese, despite these women often describing themselves as average.

For reference, here is a woman at an ideal weight. She is 5'8" and 120 lbs.
    https://i.imgur.com/JWMpL.jpg

I don't mind women who have some flab. Women who are a little overweight can still be very attractive as everyone carries weight a little bit differently. But obese is definitely a deal breaker. An average woman who is 5'4"-5'5" should be wary when they start getting into the 130s and 140s as you're probably approaching obesity if they aren't a weightlifter.

• That's not an ideal weight. That's underweight. That may be your preference but being underweight is just as unhealthy if not more unhealthy than being a little overweight. Don't tell women to starve themselves to be 'ideal' when it's complete rubbish.

• @Blonde401 BMI is not a useful measurement of health, but even if you insist on using it 5'8" 120 is within the margin of error of a normal BMI, so you only refute your own claim she is under weight because BMI says she isn't.

BMI doesn't take into account whether you weigh more because of fat or muscle. Athletes or even just people who work physically demanding jobs are ranked as obese even with an average % of body fat and sometimes even when they have six pack abs.

BMI is not based on scientific data. BMI was simply based on how long people of certain weights lived. If a cancer patient loses weight and dies, that doesn't mean they died because they didn't eat enough, they died from cancer. Same for any other degenerative or muscle wasting disease.

BMI is garbage and any doctor who uses BMI is garbage. You can clearly see this woman has low body fat and that she has a normal level of muscle for a woman, which shows she is completely healthy as far as he weight goes.

• No. She's underweight. It doesn't fit your agenda. End of. She's unhealthy.

• For most men, looks are NOT the most important factor. After all, you have to connect on a personality level for something to work. There are some guys however, even here on GaG, that will moan about how they just can't find a girl. I have a suspicion that THEY'RE the ones who only want a hottie. For them, looks are the most important factor.

• Well I would say looks are the most important thing for women too.

Your personality generally only matters AFTER you meet that person's looks criteria first. If you don't, then it doesn't matter what your personality is like, you can't be with that person. Looks are the biggest predictor of what kind of people you are able to date.

Also an attractive murderer probably has better odds of having sex and getting into a relationship than an ugly law abiding citizen would.

• Nope, not true. I don't think I've ever legitimately thought a guy was attractive until I got to know him. Its like what others might see as the ugliest guy around, I'll think he's the cutest one I know because what I like about who he is makes me 100% attracted to him. After I usually find out he's a jerk though, I almost instantly see him a lit less attractive then the world does.

• I wouldn't say "most important" no but important yes. I believe you must be attracted to anyone you're with and that goes for both men and women. Not that they have to be models, but YOU have to find them attractive as well as like their personality. Looks are also generally what guys notice first. But certainly not the "most important" Unless a guy wants only a purely sexual relationship.

• You phrased this question rather well. Yes, I think looks are the most important thing. I believe this is true for both men and women. Hasn't it been written somewhere that people - including women - decide whether someone is fuckable/spongeworthy within five minutes or less?

Quoting @RJGraveyTrain , "if you have the personality of a Nazi crap-sack, how hot you are won't do much for some." This is also true, but I have slept with a few women who I later learned might secretly be Nazis. Those relationships didn't last, but we got laid.

Looks buys you a ticket; personality keeps the show going.

• www.court-records.net/.../miles-crossed(c).gif

I think it is but she doesn't have to be drop dead gorgeous. He just needs to find her sexually attractive. There are plenty of girls who aren't so good looking but they turn me on so fucking much.

That being said, I think it's not that hard for girls to sexually attractive to men than vice versa. If a girl simply keeps in shape, that's enough to make most guys want to bone you (even with the most mediocre face).

• It's not the most important but it's a decisive factor.

I mean if you look like a fat worm then your chance of having a guy striking a conversation with you is astronomically low. It's not that the guys are being shallow or anything but that's sort of how a guy run a preliminary check before he attempt to look like a fool.

I mean, if you are a decent looking girl and you are in a bar to fish some guy (or hunt? What's the term women use these days?). You see a couple guys walk into the bar. One of them have the look that even his mother couldn't love him. He makes the next guy looks positively decent. What are your chances of walking up to him with a smile and fish?

• It isn't but you know, it helps a lot if a guy meets a girl who is pretty.

For me, despite the perception that all guys just want sex with a pretty women, I think the main thing you need to understand is that the majority of women are very beautiful to us men. They have sexy curves, exacerbated by womens clothing styles that expose flesh. Add in how much time women take to look pretty before going out doing their hair, picking a great outfit, and their natural flirtyness etc. and it's hard for a guy not to put a lot of importance on a women's great looks!

• Not even close. That's superficial. What is inside is so much more important. Good looks are just the wrapping. It gets old like the paper.

• Well, the guys that said 'no' are clueless. Or dead.
    A woman's youthful beauty is her most valuable asset - it's what puts her at the peak of her SMV. After that it's just, well, starting to get past it's 'sell by' date.

Peak value rounds out a lot of things for men, so theirs comes much later. But no, for a woman, it's her youth and purity, her beauty.

• There are some very beautiful older women tho. Everything you said is true except for your focus on "youthful" beauty. Looks usually fade but not always.

blog.soirmag.lesoir.be/.../mon.jpg

• @brain5000 You're just proving the point that looks are important. LOL

• Looks ARE the most important thing!! I already posted my own comment in the main thread to that effect.

• Looks matter more because personality often time changes to accommodate each other if you really want it to work. But looks will be the same relative to each

Which is why you almost never see people dating someone they find unattractive, that is because from what it seems, personality does not matter more

• To mess around with? Yes

To date? Yes, but then she needs a good personality and other traits too.

• I've said this many many times. She doesn't have to be a super model, in fact I'd rather she not be. Also what fun is it if she doesn't understand my quirky personality and gets offended by everything I say? So to sum it all up our personalities have to get along, and I have to be attracted to at least a few of her physical features.

• some men sure. but not all men

• can't believe how many voted yes. What a sad world we live in.

• Eh... It's what attracted me to my girlfriend initially but after knowing her, it wasn't the most important.

I don't really know which to pick.

• It's a starting point. attraction is needed, and a certain level of this will come from looks. How much varies with the guy; but for most looks only spark sexual desire, anything more, like a relationship or into navy requires a good personality.

And again for most men, even if they find someone sexually attractive based on their looks, they won't won't to actually do anything unless their personality meets their standards

The thing with personalities is you need to spend time with someone to get to know them. And you can't spend time with everyone.
    So when you want to fuck or have a relationship withsomeone attractive and with a good personality, looks are the place to start because they're immediately obvious

• Looks are needed to draw me in, personality is needed to keep me there.
    But since ugly people are just as likely to have a shitty personality as pretty people, I'm not going to bother with them and go for someone who meets more of my requirements from the get go.

• Yeah, usually they come for looks and stay for personality.

• Looks are what gets your personality's foot in the door. Long term, personality is more important.

• No. I've met far too many plankboards with no substance

• The most important? No, not for all guys. Not by a long stretch.

• at first glance yes
    but later no

• Obviously not. It's important, but not the most.

• Most important factor? No
    Mandatory "minimum bar" to be accepted as potential partner? Yes.

• Since it is impossible for all men to think the same way, we cannot answer yes to this question.

• Growing up with women taught me a lot. Like women don't like to be objectified. Looks are cool but there not everything. Like I personally try to get with women who have a quirky Cuteness. Like braces or short hair small chest area likes comics.. those are things GS I enjoy and if she has em and wants to date hell yeah just off of her being herself.

• It usually is at first, anyway. When you first meet someone you usually know nothing about them beyond how they look, right now. It isn't realistic to see someone across a crowded room and think, I bet she has a great sense of humor.

• Personality?
    Intelligence?
    These can stay longer than looks. Looks fade.

But Personality and Intelligence aren't also permanently. However these both are choices. Looks aren't.

My final answer is NO!

• It's a factor. I'm not sure I'd say it's the most important, though. Her attitude/personality matters just as much - or even more so than looks, in my opinion.

• More from Guys
    35