Once a cheater always a cheater.. True or False?

• True
  • False

76104

Most Helpful Girls

• I would say it’s, for the most part, true. I do think there are exceptions. I think different things can cause a person to cheat. Perhaps they’re immature, high school/college age for example. I can’t tell you how many things I’ve thought back on and to this day shook my head and asked myself why did I do that? 🤦🏼‍♀️ I could see cheating being one of those, “oh god, that was so dumb and shitty of me”
    I think there could be mental issues, self esteem/worth issues, things of that nature that can cause you to do something stupid. So basically behavior issues, perhaps it’s something that can be treated with medication. So for example, it’s my understanding that bipolar disorder can cause someone to be more promiscuous, so are they now medicated? Perhaps it’s just an imbalance and now their state of mind is better. So was that something they would have done in their right mind?
    I think there’s also the question about what is cheating, everyone has a different definition of what cheating is, for one person it could be just looking at someone else, another it could be watching porn, and even another could think it’s only cheating if there’s sexual contact of some sort. Where exactly do you draw that line to share and be open about your past? And then the ex felt porn watching was ok but the new person thinks it’s cheating. So are you a cheater or not? Your ex wouldn’t think so but this new one does. 🤔
    While past behavior can be a good indication of what the future will hold I don’t think you can exactly guarantee it. And when does that “probation” time run out? So let’s say I cheated ten years ago, been faithful for the last ten though, which history do you take into account? And for every cheated there was a first time so there was no past history to indicate that was going to happen..
    I also think a lot of times there is a WHOLE story, not making excuses, but not everyone that’s cheated woke up one day and thought, “hmm, I think I’m going to cheat today for no reason other than I just feel like it”. I am not saying cheating is right at all but I do think there are sides to a story and sometimes there’s way more reason behind a persons actions than they’re truly wholeheartedly selfish assholes. Most are but you can’t lump them all.

• I believe it false, the person might feel guilty for what he or she did and never will go back to it. Cheating once might be due to circumstances and some might be genuinely be repented of that crime and some other might not have been repented of it and will continue but that shouldn't be used to judge the person over and over

• I find this to be a pointless axcuse, if those circumstances were to repeat, what are his/her incentives to not cheat again... she already done it once, i mean its not a crime, just a (maybe) guilty feeling.
      It shows character. If i was to go and beat up an old grandmother, break her legs, rape her, then later come ask you not to judge me based on that. Would you in your right mind be able to ignore it? Little extreme but just to show people are always responsible for their actions... cheating doesn't accidentally happen, he/she didn't trip and fell onto a new relationship.

• Lost me at “axcuse,” brother.

Most Helpful Guys

• I would say that this is a perfectly fine assertion as a proximal truth. Here is another proximal truth to explain what that is and why it's important.

"All snakes are poisonous."

There are a few things wrong with this assertion. Firstly not all snakes are. Secondly those that are posses venom; Not poison. Thirdly many of the ones that are venomous are relatively harmless to humans given that their venom is too weak to really effect us or they are ineffectual at delivering that venom to animals of our size (the mouth may be too small, perhaps this is coupled with something like being rear fanged etc.)

But none of that matters on the proximal level. "All snakes are poisonous." Keeps one safe from the snakes that can harm them by giving the individual an aversion to snakes in general.

A proximal truth as we can see here is something that's 'true enough' to keep one safe and help one operate well in the world. I think it wouldn't be unfair to say that if given a choice between someone who has cheated and someone who hasn't (all other things being equal). That the objectively better choice is to go with the one who hasn't cheated.

That's not to say that a someone who has cheated in the past can't change. It's also not to say that they shouldn't be given a chance. Just understand that if you do give them a chance, you are taking more of a risk than you likely need to.

• I voted "true" because I think it is true more than 50% of the time.

1. What constitutes "cheating" among 16 year olds is different from one adults consider cheating, so sometimes the term is used too broadly.

2. If someone has a relationship at 17 and is unfaithful to a partner on one occasion, I think it is possible that they could learn from that mistake and never repeat it.

3. If someone cheats on numerous occasions or with numerous partners, I think it is far less likely that they will reform their ways.

4. If someone cheats in a marriage and they are in their 20's or older, I think it is less likely that they will learn a lesson and change their ways.

• I agree with this. More often than not it is true - once a cheater means always a cheater.

Another scenario i can think of is a miserable marriage and a divorce is already initiated but not done yet. The couple can consider itself done before the official divorce takes place.