Reasons Why I Hate Reading Books

Reasons Why I Hate Reading Books

I am a 22 year old man and i still hate reading to its core. I never touch a single book the moment i graduated and i don't think i will ever going read another book. here are my reasons why.

1) I've been force to read ever since childhood. One of the idea i can let is slide is schoolwork. If the teacher or professor tells me to read a specific chapter or section, i will do it ,otherwise, my grades are going to plummet. Outside of school, My family and relative have been forcing me to read constantly. been force to read after eating dinner, force to read after playing video games, even force to read after reading my assignment book. Ever since then, I feel like i am going crazy and and want to burn every single book i see. It doesn't matter i enjoy it or hate, all that matters in the end i have to read a book.

How i actually feel
How i actually feel

2)I get headaches or get exhausted from reading. During high school, i begin to have headaches after i did some reading. after that, i sometimes get exhausted for some reason. i assume i am very bored out of my mind but either way, its not something i enjoy feeling everyday.

Reasons Why I Hate Reading Books

3)There isn't really action in a action book. I read some action books for the sake school homework. i find them interesting at first, but then i lost faith in every action book. Every action genre book I've read, its just one hit one kill or usually one movement. compare to action movies, i can get more action than a book can offer me.

4)Reading isn't entertaining to me. As i mention before, i am fine reading only because of work. reading for entertainment? it is not true when i do it. i prefer watching movies and play games because it is entertainment to me. i am a visual watcher. reading a book does not give me any visual.

Reasons Why I Hate Reading Books

These are my reasons why i hate reading and why i do not ever wanting to read another book again. if there's anything you think somewhere is confusing, feel free to ask me and also, don't get confuse of the idea of a person who hates reading and assuming that person is slow at reading or dyslexic, i am fine reading at normal speed, i just prefer burning books, thats all.

3549

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 35

• Aww, I’m sorry. I hope someday that changes and you find something you love.

Sincerely,
    A Book Lover

• That sucks to hear since I'm a writer. I adore reading but only particular books. I'm a fiction gal. I hate that no fiction shit most of time. I'm too much of a inner kid for it.

I do have to ask you though have you ever tried "Audiobooks?" They usually work for non readers. It's like having a story being told to you.

• I'm sorry you feel this way. Like all hobbies, reading isn't for everyone I guess. I love books though. When I find something that truly captures my attention, it's like a movie reel in my head. I can envision the characters, the plot, and see the scene as I'm reading it.

If it's a book I really like, I can keep reading for hours and never get bored. Reading for me is like an escape. It's about exploring different worlds, increasing my knowledge, and exposing myself to new things which I love. :)

• Coming into this take as booklover myself, it was interesting to see your reasoning. Honestly, I get it. If it weren't for the fact that I find reading good entertainment, I would hate how much it is pushed on children/teens. But personally, I find that the images my brain produces when I read are better than any movie could ever produce.

• Thats pretty sad, I loved to read ever since I learned to (around the age of 4). But yea, my parents also didn't made the mistake to try to force me into liking it. Instead I've always seen them reading in their freetime during my childhood and I also loved bedtime stories.
    For me, a movie can never be even nearly as exciting as a good written book.

But yea, I hated most of the books I had to read for school, most of them were boring as fk.

• Then find a book that sounds actually good to you. Not that was shoved on you. But just that you see that might be good.
    School books always suck. Especially "classic" literature. Like sorry English teachers the world over. Ernest Hemingway just isn't good

• I guess you dont have a very big imagination. Books are interesting because they allow you to create the scenarios and get immersed in them.

• It's kind of funny, you don't like reading, but you managed to write a mytake and get to xper 5 already so you do read for fun, just not in actual books. I get though.

• Even my bro who hates books managed to find some that he is interested in when we were younger. Outer space and cars history is something he was into somehow. Now he only reads online so no need to really read a book but maybe a novel or other good reads

• Same to me as well. The reason why I don't enjoy reading is because I need a physical view of what's going on or I won't get what is happening, HOWEVER I will read horror books but ONLY horror books.
    I'm a visual person.

• Show more from Girls
    25

What Guys Said 49

• There are four primary types of learners: visual, auditory, reading/writing, and kinesthetic. Each learning type responds best to a different method of teaching. You are most likely NOT reading/writing and you admit that you are visually focused. I am a very visual learner, but that never stopped me from doing class reading plus reading on my own. I was reading my grandpa's Popular Science mags when I was 8 or 9. Perhaps if the information had been presented to you in a different manner, life would have been easier. Score a point for homeschooling, where the parents/teachers can tailor the input to the learner. Check out www.sensiblehomeschool.com - that might hep. As far as headaches, have you had an eye exam recently? Staring at little phone screens all day takes it's toll. I had driving glasses, computer glasses (20" focus) and reading glasses (10" focus). And instead of burning your books, take a charitable deduction and donate them to a local non-profit's library for someone who IS a reading/writing learner to enjoy. Thank you.

• I'd have to say, your detestation of reading shows in your writing. Those who read often tend to be more educted, at least in language usage, then those who do not read often. Your poor grammar illustrates my point.

As for not finding action in action novels, that could be the result of poor imagination. It's possible that you were simply unlucky enough to have chosen a string of badly written books but the odds favor at least one of these books you read being good. I've read thousands of books over the years and the percentage of books that were genuinely bad is small. It's been my experience that books are far better than movies, offering much more depth and a great deal more action.

Most people I know who hate reading are simply not very smart. There are exceptions, of course. The woman I love hates reading also buy she has actually written a book of her own. She's pretty intelligent! But i find that most people who don't read just don't have the attention span to get through a novel.

I have discovered a writer named Carlton Melick III who writes something called bizzaro fiction. His books are totally insane, absolutely engaging, and only about a hundred times a hundred fifty pages each. They might be right up your alley. I tend to read epic novels spanning hundreds of pages but this guy has become a favorite writer of mine.

• i see. you what you are saying that people should love books or else they are uneducated. i guess watching documentary video and actual education video on youtube isn't worth it. i don't want to be cocky but i draw, paint, or even make photoshop images and i never find that i "lack of imagination"

• And yet, i still don't see your point in all of this. you are just telling me that my grammer sucks, nothing related towards why i should like reading.

• Reading not only helps with grammar, it expands the mind in ways that TV and movies can't. Video experiences are entirely passive. Everything is presented to you on-screen. While reading you are forced to use your imagination to "see" what is happening. There is also a great deal more depth to books. Even documentaries often have companion books which contain much more information. There has been much research proving that reading exercises the brain while sitting passively and watching a video does very little for the brain.

But really, if you don't want to read, don't read. Who cares? But you should limit your forays into writing.

• I read 2 books a week and I love it. I love it because I don't read them the way normal people do. I use MENTORBOX. MentorBox is the new way for people to be able to read great best sellers without all the page turning. Check it out! It's great!

by the way I only pay 7 bucks a month and do it all online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEFGW1DCmok

• Maybe some people's brains just don't like the type of task that reading is.
    But I disagree about action books, some action books can be crazy thrilling. I prefer action books, and there are some great ones that I've read in one sitting. Maybe look for recommendations.

• Been reading novels since I was 5. I dont say that as a bragging point but more to give some context. The amount of reading I've done has given me a vocabulary and ease when doing things like essays i wouldn't have had if I hadn't. Since my mum didn't let me near computers reading was what I went to for entertainment. And i do't regret it for a second. I'd rather have vocabulary than be pro level in bowling on the wii1

• I never cared for reading assigned books. Very few of the authors I read as assignments I found interesting.
    Later though, I tend to read everything that even remotely interests me.

• I've read hundreds of books, maybe you just haven't found the one that captures your imagination.

There's usually vastly more depth to a book than a film, films have to leave out a lot of detail.

• I never liked reading books as a kid. As I got older I found that reading was more fun if the book was interesting to read. I started reading Stephen King's IT and it was a really good book. Even started reading Jurassic Park and it really goes into much greater ideal than the movie did and is entertaining. I have a nephew who hates reading and he is forced to read and doesn't like it. Mainly doing school work and reading for his reading log is chore for him.

• No actions in books? you don't read the right ones, Assassin's Creed, World Of Warcraft, Metro 2033, The Witcher... if you lack the brain power to see it, then it's not the book's fault.
    They forced you to read, yeah that's the point of school : learning
    Headaches? So you can pass an entire day on a screen playin games or watching videos, but immobile words on a page is too hard for you?
    The more i read your MyTake the more i realize the book isn't the problem, the one holding it is

• Please prove me wrong that there a 5 min action in a book similar to the movies, not just one hit. You shouldn't missed the point i said "idea i can let is slide is schoolwork." school did force me to read but i do it for the grade, outside of school, it was my family that force me to do it. yes, i prefer playing video games than reading because it doesn't give me headaches. and? who said the book is the problem? i simply said i hate reading.

• Yeah books can be a love/hate thing, I love them - Only thing headaches/tired after reading, have you had your eyes tested straining to read could bring those symptoms

• Show more from Guys
    39