myReview 1 mo

4 Book Recommendations I Have for the Bookworms of GAG

I'm 14 books into my 50 book goal for 2020 and I'm ready to talk about the best so far.

1. The River at Night by Erica Ferencik (2017)

When I turn the book over and read the blurb I was instantly captivated. It reads like a survival horror movie. If you're into that genre of book or you have trouble staying interested in a book I think you'd love The River at Night. This book follows the story of a group of girlfriends in their mid 30s going on vacation and getting lost deep in the wilderness of Maine. There's a horrible accident while they're rafting, and Wini and her friends are left to find their way out of the wilderness and protect themselves from the wild and supposed saviors they meet along the way.

If you're sensitive to gory details, I'd skip this one.

2. A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly (2003)

This book takes place in 1906 and follows the life of a 16 year old girl named Mattie. Grace Brown is a guest staying at the hotel Mattie works at who gives her a pile of letters to burn. Grace later turns up dead in a nearby lake before Mattie made up her mind on what to do with the letters. Those letters end up being Mattie's only way of piecing together Grace's mysterious death. The whole reason I brought this book home with me is because I was expecting to be thrilled by a suspenseful murder mystery which isn't actually how things worked out. Hear me out, Mattie is a clever young character trying to pursue her dreams of being a college student while struggling to gain the approval of a father who doesn't agree with her dreams, younger siblings she's left taking care of after her mother died, and in the midst of the damage her brother leaving home caused. Mattie's story ended up being far more interesting than the sprinkled bits of Grace's murder which is something I think is important to mention.

3. The Lost Girls by Heather Young (2017)

Where to begin with this one? In the summer 1935 a 6 year old girl named Emily goes missing from her family's vacation home in Minnesota and never returns. The story starts off with Emily's older sister, Lucy in her final days writing in her journal to the grandniece she'll be leaving all of her possessions to. Lucy's journal entries of the past are sprinkled between Justine's present point of view. Justine leaves the state with her two daughters to get away from her manipulative boyfriend and start over. This book covers 5 generations full of a lot of dark backstory. There's a very repetitive theme of emotionally damaged female characters making poor decisions which grew tiresome at times. Overall, I still think it's thrilling enough to be worth a read.

4. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (2016)

This chilling graphic novel seems like the perfect way to end this Take. I'm sure many of you have at least heard of the Netflix series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I tried giving the show a try but couldn't get into it for the life of me. The art style is gorgeous and it's filled with a bunch of new words just waiting to be discovered. I find the book much better than the show. It's a pretty busy story line so I'm not even gonna try summarizing it in my own words... On the eve of her sixteenth birthday, the young sorceress Sabrina Spellman finds herself at a crossroads, having to choose between an unearthly destiny and her mortal boyfriend, Harvey. But a foe from her family's past has arrived in Greendale, Madame Satan, and she has her own deadly agenda.

If any of you have any book recommendations, I'm all ears.

15
13

Most Helpful Girls

• _gigi18
    Eleanor & Park Rainbow Rowell
    The memory shop Ella Griffin
    In cold blood Truman Capote
    A clock work orange Anthony Burgess
    The conquest of bread Peter Kropotkin
    The magpie Murders Anthony Horrowitz
    Alex rider series (I know we're too old to read it but everyone should before they die)
    Jo Nesbo books Harry Role series
    Bitter end Jennifer brown
    Mind hunter (its a netflix show but still a very good read)
    Ten types of human
    Talking with psychopaths
    Run riot Nikesh Shukla
    100 things a bright girl can do
    Is this still revelant?
    • Alex rider is a good series

• _gigi18

My favourite is point blanc book 2

• Whoa, In Cold Blood sounds extremely interesting. Talking with Psychopaths makes me think of the Mindhunters. I'll have to keep these recommendations on standby for the next time I'm stuck picking a new book to read.

• Anonymous
    Please add any book written by Josette Sona. She offers them for free to download from lots of online book websites. They're great for women in relationships as well as single pringles :D who have difficulties with bosses, co-workers, annoying family members, etc. They're short and easy to read and I've learned so much from them.

Thank you for sharing your list of books with us. I haven't heard of some of them but I'm always looking for book recommendations. :)
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guys

• Suhailadil89
    I have a question to all the bookworms out there, not all but some of you think that most waste time by being too much into movies and series while books make u look smarter.
    Well, if you are gonna keep reading novels and fiction, i highly doubt it. If you are gonna spend spo much time on reading, why not read something meaningful.. like actual history, maybe religious books and try and understand what you do not about them.
    Is this still revelant?
    • _gigi18

We do there are a vast number of books out there to read. I do like non fiction books they're interesting but fiction books are just good to relax and read before bed or if you're bored. As I like to write fictional stories in my spare time reading new books expands my vocabulary and makes my imagination more vivid. When you read it's like you're in someone else's mind. People who like books are stereotypically into fiction books. I'm a bit of both purely reading fiction or non fiction doesn't make you a true book person. Being able to read both is a wonderful gift.

• _gigi18

Sorry just to add on you can learn a lot from movies documentaries and TV shows I encourage it

• Most movies maintain the vocabulary of a fourth grader for the sake of capturing a large audience. Most books no matter the genre use a broader variety of words helping expand the reader's vocabulary. Reading also keeps your comprehension skills sharp. You can by a stupid person whether you read tons, watch movies or shows 24/7, or do neither so that's not really an argument I stand be. Reading nonfiction books is a great thing that anyone can do. I didn't feel like getting into that recommendations about history and religion because this is still GAG and my goal is only to open a conversation and keep the interest of passersby for longer than 2.5 seconds. If fiction novels aren't your cup of tea then you were given the opportunity to recommend books you feel are worth reading.

• LazyMan
    I'll recommend authors. You'll just need to have a bit of a Google as to what you should read by them first.

These are based on my personal taste.

Edgar Allan Poe.
    Friedrich Nietzsche.
    Derek Landy.
    Dianna Wynne Jones.
    Stephen King.
    Eugene Thacker.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1113
  • 1truekhaleesi
    Interesting recommendations! I'll definitely check these out.

My recommendations? Literally all books written by Khaled Hosseini. He's one of the few authors that I've thoroughly enjoyed every book of his. A favorite book of mine I read this year was Red, White, and Royal Blue. Great LGBT fictional book. It's hilarious. A few points I had to bookmark my page and put it down because I was laughing so hard and it also accurately represents bisexuals.
  • confusedgamer
    Chakka my wolf-child is a big recommender from me. It is a book about a woman who adopts a baby wolf, and during the book you read about him growing up. Combine funny anecdotes with learning about how a wolf brain works. It has always been my favorite, actually destroyed the paperback by reading it too much
  • DorkVader
    I don't know how you feel about Rom Com, but my favorite author is Jennifer Crusie. All of her books are genuinely entertaining and laugh out loud hilarious. If you like snarky humor. She does have a few collabs with another author and those are pretty entertaining as well.
  • lunaminx
    I would personally recommend reading: Maybird and The Ever After by Jodi Lynn Anderson

It’s an amazing series in my opinion
  • Enchanteddaydream
    I’m currently reading “The Selection” series by Kiera Cass. I would describe it as “The Hunger Games” meets “The Bachelor.”
  • itsallaroundtheworld
    I suggest you read The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. It is my favourite book so far!
  • CowMilky
    I'm not exactly a bookworm but I've been wanting to get into reading so I can read faster, express myself easier, and just learn new vocabulary. I'll be looking into these books, thanks! I'd appreciate it if you can recommend more for beginners
  • arabgoddess
    Unfortunately these books weren't my cup of tea.. I'm more into the books that would enhance me as an individual.
  • Agape93
    Great ones! Number 1 has my interest, I live in the Boones of Maine lol
  • Tessa01
    Aight will check it out, Sabrina looks lit 😂, the tvshow was shit though
  • themomo84
    Thanks! My Goodreads challenge this year is 100 books and I'm 20 in thus far.
  • Littlemissbrat
    I like The Giver. But to enjoy nothing beats The Chronicles of Narnia for me.
  • Luukas
    You really can't recommend book to person you don't know..
  • SecretGardenBlood65
    Good take
  • Jjpayne
    Chilling adventures of Sabrina! Im on it!
  • I'm thinking of checking these out. ☺
  • Deku2009
    Those are all great books
  • andrermm
    I recommend the richest man in Babylon
  • Smegskull
    Any of them have a map in the intro pages?
  • Tunasub
    The last Lecture.
    Randy Pausch
  • sonu789
    Woow
  • crickets92
    The Warded man series
  • Anonymous
    I hope they make them into movies.
  • Anonymous
    Jojo's bizarre adventure
    • _gigi18

Bonjourno giorno giovanna

• CowMilky

You were expecting book recommendations, but it was I, Dio!

• _gigi18

Jojos are books so technically it's a recommendation