The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .

RolandCuthbert
The Problem with a Black Bond. . .

First, I would like to say the British Film Industry can do whatever the hell it wants. And I am not saying that "race" relations in Britain are anything like race relations in America. In fact, this take is about the weird American reaction to race.

The funny thing is that in America this is spun as some political issue. As though supposed liberals and supposed Conservatives are on different sides of a debate. It is if someone has beaten America silly with a baseball bat for a few centuries. Of course, they are on the same side of the debate. For obvious reasons. The main one being;

They are both unable to understand "race" relations beyond talking in terms of the "White" people and the "Black" people. And it so strange that both groups think it is perfectly healthy to continue to talk about these two fictional groups within the framework of a classification system based upon mythology that leaves out the vast majority of human beings on the planet.

Well, sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. It really depends upon the political argument being put forth at the time. Sometimes it is great to pretend that racial issues are only "Black" and "White". Sometimes other groups previously classified as being "White", are brought into the discussion with a new "racial" definition. Decades ago, Arabs were technically classified as being "White". I mean "technically" they still are. Though I know very few who feel "White" now. That was actually a discussion we had at several meetups in my discussion group.

But anyway, if they wanted to actually do something cutting edge or shocking. . .they could just cast James Bond as an Asian gentleman. They have more than a few Asian actors who have splendid English accents and could pull off the role effortlessly.

Lee Byung-Hun would be okay.
Lee Byung-Hun would be okay.
The lead from Crazy Rich Asians would be perfect, Henry Gould is actually British.

And then if they wanted to address the issue of diversity, it would make more sense to look at the conversation within their own nation which primarily involve "Asians". Of course the term in the UK is used differently. It is actually used to reference folks from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc. But I don't know enough about the issues there to understand if it is one over the mythology of race, (technically the guy below is "White". . .well, sometimes. . .) or if it is one of culture. I think everyone would agree that British Culture and Cultures from the Middle East and Asia are different. But again, we are talking about a character would have had been born and breed in the United Kingdom.

The Problem with a Black Bond. . .

But we know that will not happen. The conversation will stay stupid and both groups. . .the supposed liberals and the supposed conservatives will pretend they are being diverse by having this discussion limited to these "Blacks" and "Whites". That conversation is not going to change until the folks being excluded demand inclusion. Because the political incentives to keep the conversation weird are too great.

Man. . .race is just a weird, messed up, insane, fruitcake way of talking about people.

The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .
13
25
13Girl Opinion
25Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• ChrisMaster69
    I sort of answered a similar ish question on this the other day. Here is what I put.

Quote:
    Not hugely bothered but it would likely kill the franchise.

they are based fairly well on the books and the description of Bond as an ex RN Commander, public school etc.

Apart from that Tom Ellis is highly likely to play him.

the times about right as Lucifer as finished. Unquote.

to expand on that, I feel at times there is a equality tick box lip service that says ‘oh we need a Black lesbian,’ that way all categories are sort of ticked.

i personally do not like how they need to do changes to an existing character simply as a tick box exercise at times for the equality card, it should really be by the introduction of a new character, even better with an up and coming actor that matches the storyline.

We went through the Doctor Who thing needing to be a woman after x number of doctors, yes we have one, I highly suspect the next doctor will be Chinese to appeal for sales in China.

You are very correct with the comment about Asians, when I say that or hear it, I am thinking of Indians, Pakistani’s, Nepalese etc and not Chinese, Japanese. The press here will report on say Asian restaurants and mean Indian (which are predominantly Bangladeshi and Pakistani lol) restaurants.

as for Race, Ethnicity, we still do it when we refer to a country, English girls and people are assuming you mean typical white girl with blonde hair and blue eyes, or red hair with green eyes, in fact it could be from a plethora of ethnic backgrounds and mixes therein.

i really don’t care who plays Bond, however a few things need to remain.

he’s a Commander in the Royal Navy (Daniel Craig is an Honorary one).
    He’s a twat with women.
    he can go anywhere in the world without any problems

The latter does present some problems going to the likes of Russia and even the US (we used to do escort duty for our logistics officer as he was a Sikh and local police would stop him even in uniform, the only way around it was a white guy to drive with him, ditto with some of our Black airmen and airwomen).

if they do bring in someone new, please make sure he’s British with a proper British public school accent, if he’s not white, then make sure there is a very good back story as to why he is, not just expect the audience to believe it is so.

We already know there are other 00 agents, all licensed to kill, promote 008 to 007, that would be more believable than dropping in someone.

While I am not overly worried or bothered etc, I still think Tom Ellis would make a brilliant Bond, also he’s been doing a hell of a lot of gym work for the last series of Lucifer,… he’s now free of commitment I believe.
    Is this still revelant?
    • I have to admit that Tom Ellis would be excellent.

But I have to thank you for your post. It is so good to have someone from the UK chime in and give an opinion. I mentioned the word "Black" a couple of times and Americans just latch onto it like a rottweiler. They can't get past the word to see what the Take actually says.

Anyway, back to the topic. I would say that racial issues in the UK while still present are decidedly different. Because even as there is a builtin assumption about skin color, hair, and blue/green eyes. . . being British is about language, culture, history, tradition. . .

in the U. S. many people pretend that being "White" American is about skin color alone. Then we get into weird discussions about history, "White" replacement theory, and so on.

I think that is what has set Europe on a different trajectory with respect to understanding cultural differences. You have an actual foundation for having conversations.

We do not.

I am an outsider to your culture. From the outside looking in, I am still baffled over the issue of James Bond not having "White" or white skin. Why would they need a believable explanation? Do you think they would have to write the issue of him being non-"White" into the story?

Like Shazad Latif, why would there need to be a change to the backstory? Isn't Bond just fantasy?

The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .

• @RolandCuthbert the back story to bond is that he has a Royal Navy rank of commander, he went originally to Eton, then public school in Scotland (public being private here).

Yes granted it’s fiction and not real as such, however Fleming based it on people he knew and his experiences.

His parents were landed Scots.

As I said Fleming and others describe his appearance in the books.

en.wikipedia.org/.../James_Bond_(literary_character)

Again, no problem them changing character but there needs to be some explanation on the major change from Flemings work and description.

This is how he is described,

The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .

• I guess I will never get it. Because to me, culture is culture. But perhaps that itself is a "cultural" difference. If I were British, it would be tough for me to understand.

But I am not British.

I am American.

Thanks for your post.

Most Helpful Girl

• siseñor
    it really isn't outlandish to cast a black actor as bond, there are so many black brits & to complain about the colour of a person's skin - that's like being gifted an aston martin & then saying you don't like the colour.
    Is this still revelant?
    • But that isn't the issue. They cast a "Black" Bond in hopes of trying to appear to be progressive or being diverse. I mean it pisses off racists. . . which I am all for. But for the rest of us who are trying to have these conversations it really does not help.

No one is taking up on my idea of an Asian James Bond. Because not many here can talk about these issues beyond the "Black/White" dynamic. That is the problem with these conversations.

My group has members from more ethnic groupings than I can count and even I have to admonish them for this.

• siseñor

bruh sorry the title says black, honestly there are a lot of Asians in london too. seeing an Asian bond would garner the same opinion from me.

i agree with the intent being a problem. you can never know for sure what a company is thinking, they could just be doing it for the sake of political correctness. however, isn't it true that the more this happens, the less 'progressive' it will be? if everybody starts doing it it won't raise as much of a conversation & it will be less forced.

• I don't think the "reason" matters. They don't cast ugly guys as James Bond because they want to give women some eye candy. Craig even as he disliked that part of the role, did his part to make sure he fulfilled his obligations there. There are a lot of "base" reasons for any production. I am just saying if they want to really do something in this space in terms of culture and "race", cast an Asian male lead.

We have so very few but so many capable and willing candidates.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1224
  • ADFSDF1996
    Good luck to British cinema getting an Asian James Bond that has a British accent.

The only way they can make it work is if they go with the James Bond code name theory. Which they might considering how the newest James Bond film ended.
    • Dude, I have never seen an Asian dude, so messed up when it comes to understanding Asians.

I posted about Henry Goudling. Do you think he has an issues with his own damn British accent.

What is wrong with you? This is Henry Goulding. What accent do you hear? What in the entire fuck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmW6QZAqqgw

• ADFSDF1996

Dude what is it with your attitude? You assume that everyone that comments on your posts is attacking you. This is why I almost never comment on your posts, you are quick to get defensive for no reason.

But that’s besides the point, you really think the liberals within British and Hollywood cinema are going to be happy to give the James Bond role to an Asian actor? Come on man, how naive are you?
      nextshark.com/lee-byung-hun-squid-game-actor/

• My attitude?

Let me just take some time to say. . .

fuck you.

A so-called Asian waddles into my thread saying "good luck finding Asians with British accents"?

Get the fuck out of here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id1xxIT0W_E

• GoldenCage
    People issue is not in giving opportunities to black actors or other ethnicities. People are saying create new ethnic heroes like Black Panther and Shang Chi and many of the recent movies even for kids such as Luca and Raya and others.

I'm not white and I'm not conservative or liberal. However, I think the idea of going back and changing old heros into black ones just to score points is pathetic. The assumption that this is the only way you can jump on top of a fan base that already exist rather than building one from scratch for a new hero and story.

Having said that, the way they done that in the black spider man movie Into the Spider-Verse and the black Princess and the Frog was amazing to say the least.

Again, people are not against the idea and the ones who are it is not simply because they're racist as many online mop would want to believe.

And I do agree with you. people are sick and tired of these classifications of the complicity of human race. And people are tierd of it being politicized. Even black does not mean the same everywhere. It's used sometimes only to refer to African Americans and not the first generation I mmegrants or workers who came to America two years ago. It is used to reflect on a group within a group who shared a historical events/ trauma in the US. What's funny as you said is when media try to project that understanding on every black person on the planet.
    Like 2 People
    • I thank you for posting something that somewhat addresses the topic. I think you are dead wrong of course.

The most important thing about Bond is his culture. Not his race. Or even the sex. A she would be cool.

The point is that this is the property of British Culture. It is a product of British Culture. And if he wasn't a Brit it would like having a Frenchman play Captain Britain.

But to complain about his "race" while simultaneously claiming his race doesn't matter is nonsensical.

If his race is important to you, then just say it is important to you. I think that will be an honest conversation. And one of the main reasons why people want to play around with his ethnicity. Because the British keeps saying that being British is about history, culture and tradition.

If it is about race, then someone lied somewhere along the way.

• GoldenCage

It's not upto you to determine what's honest or not about someone own beliefs or opinions. All you said was your opinion back but I don't have to accept your claim of hypocrisy just because I have different prospective than yours. And you never addressed my point by the way. but that's cool. Each to his own.

Having said that, casting the hero itself is not really about British culture. It's called acting and that's what they do. They'd act British. However, casting someone British for a classical British spy movie obviously would make more sense than casting a black American or Black Nigerian actor. I mean really! you thought that was the argument I was making?

Anyways, like I said before if they do it well I will watch it. Because I honestly don't care about this race debte. But you guys never address the real question on why not creating a new hero and build a fan base from scratch. Why the easy short cut?

I lived in the UK and people adore Idris Alba and this whole debate is irrelevant to anyone but Americans by the way. people were happy for Idris in the UK when they announced it.

• This is not your "take" this is mine. And I did address your point. You just disliked my response. That's on you, not me.

Not sure where I am hypocritical. My "take" is quite clear. I am not here campaigning for Idris Elba. As for your claim that this is not about being British, explain why every actor who has played Bond has a British background. I await your response to that.

I won't respond to the rest of your post. I have to see if you can have a rational discussion first.

• doopayo
    I agree, people say America’s not racist as a country yet we have a bunch of ridiculous people claiming that a black man playing a fictional character that used to be portrayed as a white guy is “black washing” . I remember it actually used to be like this in 2012 as well.

In 2012 when hunger games came out, two characters who were canonically described as being black in the book were (surprise, surprise) portrayed by black people, and the internet was not having it. The way they treated little Amanda standberg (who was only 14 at the time) was absolutely disgusting, people were calling her racial slurs. Saying they shouldn't have choosen a black person to play a role that was made canonically for a black character, etc etc? It was ridiculous, and I can see some similarities in how the internet’s handling James Bond being black.The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .And here’s the backlash I could find on black James Bond: The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    • doopayo

Lmao, apparently James Bond is apparat off white culture 🤔 the more you know

• Well, I don't think it is a straight apples to apples comparison. I mean the folks you are talking about are just fruitcake racists. I think when we are talking about James Bond, we know one thing for certain.

HE MUST BE British.

That's is critical to the character. Only Americans would make the insane claim that his skin must be "White" or white or whatever the hell they are trying to say.

Anyway, I am sure in Britain the conversation is quite different. They have even had a "Black" woman Dr. Who. I don't know if you are a fan of the series.

Because again, the point is, Doctor Who must be a Brit. His/her sex or skin color does not matter. But the culture does. Because the Brits invented the series.

The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .

• doopayo

I can see how that makes sense, I’ve never watched James Bond though so I don’t know much about the character

• BlacklightShade
    Idris Elba would be great. I'm such a fan of him. I know the Bond franchise is an institution but I don't care.
    LikeFunnyDisagree 5 People
  • SmokinAces2000
    In all honesty I don’t see why anyone would be mad about this unless they have some racist tendencies, the race of the character is irrelevant to the story line of James Bond so the fact that people are so disgusted by this is pretty appalling.
    LikeFunny 2 People
    • Well, I can definitely see him being by played by a non-British character as an issue. But of course, race is different. The funny thing is the racists here can't even define what they mean by "White". Racists Americans, of course see Bond's staple as his skin color and not his Britishness. So fucking weird man!!!

I mean, racism is weird anyway, but fuck!!!

• lightbulb27
    There’s always problems. Do it right with the right actor and script and it works. The character is more than color but society quickly dumbs down discussions to some basic attribute.

I’d rather keep characters as they were done originally. Invent new ones w offshoots. But Hollywood is not concerned w my opinions… and I don’t spend time or $ on this junk… I’d rather see history of real people or talk to real people.
    • Eon Productions is in the UK.

It does not reside in Hollywood or even in the United States.

British folks make Bond films. James Bond is a British Secret Agent working for MI6. . ."Her Majesty's Secret Service".

I would recommend you watch a few of the flicks. Some are quite good.

The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .

• cool, didn't know that. Not sure what value movies adds to my life.
      I did enjoy the spy museum in D. C. which demonstrated a lot of history... it's based upon real issues. I also like the occasional facebook post with the lives of real spies.

• Oh so you are saying is you don't watch movies at all.

Got it.

I like movies. And I was just writing about this particular franchise. Again, I am not a Brit. But if the Brits want to take the franchise in a different direction, I think they should entertain a Bond that is neither "Black" nor "White".

I know you have it out for Hollywood. Unfortunately, this thread is not about Hollywood.

• bamesjond0069
    It makes no sense to change preexisting characters. In fact its racist/sexist to change characters like this. Do blacks not deserve their own characters or are they not good enough and need to latch on to prexisting white characters? Same with every miniority. Why make superman gay? Do gay characters not stand on their own? They are so poor they can only work if a white hetero base is used? I think doing that is generally done poorly because to make bond black or superman gay, its not a real black or gay character, its a straight white character overwritten to be black or gay or whatever. shouldn't a black 00 agent have a background that is built around that character to give some believable development? Should a gay superhero have a back story that gives him a deep character depth? They both should if its to be a quality character. But no. Superman has a hetero backstory until bam he's a fag. And bond is a stereotypical white man until poof magic he got a tan. Total nonsense. And yeah they try and make a story sometimes but its never a good one or believable one.

Nor is diversity diversity. Its not realistic to be in a room or on a team or with any group that has 2 blacks 1 Asian 1 mexican 2 whites and a gay of any race and one trans. When i see that shit in a show its now pure fantasy land because THATS NOT NORMAL.
    • I don't think much of what you posted actually addresses anything in the take.

1. You appear to think I am here campaigning for Idris Elba. You seem obsessed with limiting "racial" discussions to "Blacks" only. My preference is actually for an Asian Bond.

The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .

2. You introduce a gay superman. Which has nothing to do with my take. If you want my opinion on it, I don't have one. I ain't gay. And I am sure as hell not obsessed over who or what is gay.

3. As for what is believable, this is complete and utter fiction/fantasy. Was Inception believable? Was Terminator believable? It is incredible to me that your mind is capable of accepting that machines from the future can travel backwards in time to murder the mother of a boy who brings about their downfall as a premise for a movie.

But you can't wrap your head around a Bond, who might not be "White" or male.

Fascinating.

• "Do [asians] not deserve their own characters or are they not good enough and need to latch on to prexisting white characters?" Does that address your concern? The race doesn't matter. Changing preexisting characters is stupid no matter the race. Lets remake a movie about slaves in the south and use all indians instead of whites and hispanics for slaves. Why not? Dont you like diversity? Smh lol its just dumb asf.

• You don't realize, you do not own the Bond franchise. You don't own the rights to who can be British or even be "Bond". So what is your deal?

What will you do, if they nominate Shazad Latif to be the next Bond?

I am really curious.

The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .

• FreyaRed
    It's marketing problem. East Asian countries are big markets for movies. Even though Europeans wouldn't bother much about black Bond because it's anyway an anecdotal Character like King of Wakanda, movies with black protagonists are flopping on Asian movie markets.
  • snowgirl123
    look if were a business man and owned the rights to James Bond, I am not silly, I know that a black James Bond for 10 years is way too much for the public to endure. it's liking making black panther white

however I do think that diversity is important, and I think that 2 or 3 movies with a black James Bond would be great in a span of a few years. he could also be like another agent as well and a friend of James Bond and his equal, his friend and work partner. but in at least 2-3 movies I would like to see a Black James Bond certainly.

if you're a business man you have to know how to sell, period. bring news and adapt, dance with what your costumers want, know that you will be selling a product to people of the whole world.

even if you make movies with mainly white people or if you make white characters people of color everybody is going to complain. i would just make my research and take the most intelligent decision.
    Disagree 1 Person
    • It makes no sense to change preexisting characters. In fact its racist/sexist to change characters like this. Do blacks not deserve their own characters or are they not good enough and need to latch on to prexisting white characters? Same with every miniority. Why make superman gay? Do gay characters not stand on their own? They are so poor they can only work if a white hetero base is used? I think doing that is generally done poorly because to make bond black or superman gay, its not a real black or gay character, its a straight white character overwritten to be black or gay or whatever. shouldn't a black 00 agent have a background that is built around that character to give some believable development? Should a gay superhero have a back story that gives him a deep character depth? They both should if its to be a quality character. But no. Superman has a hetero backstory until bam he's a fag. And bond is a stereotypical white man until poof magic he got a tan. Total nonsense. And yeah they try and make a story sometimes but its never a good one or believable one.

• Sorry not supposed to be a reply to you

• @bamesjond0069 I don't think much of what you posted actually addresses anything in the take.

The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .

Fascinating.

• purplepoppy
    There's a lot of promoting black culture in the UK at the minute. Not sure how getting a black guy to "act white" would go down.
    Then are we going to have a chinese bond, indian bond. We've already had Scottish Bond so why not
    • I don't get the whole "act White" thing, because there are many Americans who keep saying there is no way to act "White". Everytime the reality is stated about "White" American Culture there are all these denials and handwringing.

Perhaps one day, we will embrace "White" American Culture as a real thing. Then we can talk with some sanity about acting "White" or "White" Americans. But that day is certainly not today.

Besides, the thing about James Bond is the actor's ability to act British.

Another guy who could do it with no problem is Shazad Latif. And like Goulding, he is already a Brit.

The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .

• humpbackjack
    Wow I didn’t even know there was this deep of an issue over James Bond I mean who even watches movies like that anymore when you got way better classics or will be classics like Kung fu hustle or come on I know everyone loves pootie tang or best movie ever cool hand Luke I say break down all racial barriers and combine all three movies. Now that would be ground breaking
    • Hey Kung Fu Hustle is a absolute classic. I loved Shaolin Soccer too. But this has been talked about for a few years already. And I just wanted to chime in. It would be cool if they do this, they just avoid "Blacks" and "Whites" altogether.

• Yeah man it’s a fucked up deal because it seems like a lot of people just blindly want to keep perpetuating the hate when nobody wins no matter how it goes because it will come back around somewhere down the line. As far as Bond I don’t think very many of the younger generations even know anything about him to understand he has to be British. I mean I met an 18 year old dude that didn’t know who Bruce Lee was. Come on BRUCE LEE one of the greatest people to walk he planet

• Wester1967
    Bond is an imperial agent. A puppet of the Queen and the oligarchic monarchy. Nothing particularly redeeming about an African or an Asian. They would be complicit in the exploitation and domination of their own peoples and cultures. I will make a hard pass on all of them, including the pasty face unmelanated imperialist Bonds. Thanks for your consideration
    • zagor

The crown hasn't had real power for over 200 years. Quit whining about shit from 100 years ago.

• Uhm. . . no.

James Bond is a fictional character, doing fictional stuff in a fictional world.

• DiegoO
    I don't know, man. Scientist already clearly stated that there are not races in our species. We are one race of homo sapiens who adapted, according to each enviorment. I do understand your point, but I honestly don't know what to say. It looks like we humans aren't capable to set aside tribalism and work together.
    • I don't understand why everyone can't simply read my take.

This conversation about diversity isn't not going to be resolved by having a "Black" Bond.

Why not think outside the usual? Make him Asian. Make him Middle Eastern. Just give him the standard British backstory.

I mean there are Brits who are Asian looking.

The Problem with a "Black" Bond. . .

• DiegoO

I know what you mean. My response was in general. To be specific, we haven't aknowledge that skin color doesn't make us superior, inferior or more human. It makes us one species more on this planet; therefore, centering on a black or white james bond, doesn't ad no effort in ending the ignorance many find captivating because is the only way they can feel better about their self.

In other words, what you mention is totally true, and it brings to light the narrow view about ethnic diversity, which persist up to these days.

• I dunno know. I had a racist here tell me that "Whites" are being replaced. Because of the replacement of fictional characters.

The Lone Ranger is based on the life of Bass Reeves.

What the hey man?1

www.history.com/.../bass-reeves-real-lone-ranger-a-black-man

• JamesRandiDebates
    I see no reason to race swap any franchise movie character. They could just as easily make a new spy character who happens to be Asian or black.
    Like 1 Person
    • How is it race swapping? And why does his make believe race matter over what the reality of the character's British background?

I mean I don't understand raciologists. I don't understand why race is more important than culture. Can you explain?

If an Indian man was born in the UK, grew up going to English schools, and being a member of English culture, what makes him less English than one with "White" skin? And why on earth would the British be inclined to listen to race experts who's only expertise is the weird American society?

• Babygirl_S
    Any white majority country is under no obligation to have a black Bond. People want to see someone who looks like them. I have understood that by now. It is, however, nice to see some representation as black people do live in those countries even though they're outnumbered.
    • Another swing and a miss.

Maybe try to post about your obsession with "Black" people in another thread. And please try reading my take. It is right up above.

• Babygirl_S

My reply is not about obsessions. It is the harsh truth. This is why many Indians don't make it to the top in those countries. It is the reason why 100% white actors fail to become major stars in India. People like to see beautiful people on screen who are still relatable.

• Yeah nothing you say makes any sense. James Bond has to be "White" because "White" is beautiful?

Haha!!!

You internet trolls are hilarious.

• intotheunknown101
    Yes there is a problem with black bond the character is white. You don't want a black main character just suddenly become white do you? No. exactly my point. People are not used to characters race coaching out of the blue, thats like moving all over the place and not being stable ya know?
  • Archerer
    It’s weird that anyone even mentions race when being cast for a role in a fiction movie. Who gives a shit what race James Bond is? As long as it’s a good movie and he’s a good actor… nothing else matters, at all.
    • Well, just mentioning Bond's make believe race caused all of this. I am not suggesting changing his race for folks who are angry over the change. When a person is concerned about race, then they are concerned about race. There isn't any room for negotiation. I think for the rest of us, it forces the conversation in a direction not previously discussed.

• andreasderjuengere
    The world has no need for Bond any more.
    To continue the franchise simply is movie industry greed.
    They can produce whatever they want and with whomever they want.
    I don't need to watch that.
    • Dude, they will make Bond movies long after you are dead.

Find peace with that.

• I am at peace. I just find that Bond as he was thought out once (1953), is not longer Bond.
      So I find the continuation of the series to be somewhat absurd. 70 years of active service is a somewhat unconvincing story line :)
      When we consider that the present generation only can come up with power rangers or Ninja Turtles, a geriatric Bond looks like conceding defeat :D (of imagination and of creativity).
      To borrow 'our' heroes from the past means that we lack of them TODAY.
      Therefore, I'm indeed looking forward to be dead. Heh heh.

• Well, I know you think you are writing about something that is logical. But uhm James Bond is complete and utter fiction.

There hasn't been a movie, a book or a cartoon about him suggesting he has been in service for 70 years.

• SafiyaHearts
    I don’t think it’s a problem. But for Ariel I’m going to be mad if she turns black! They already have two movies!
    • So if they made Ariel Chinese, that would be cool? I mean that is what the take is about. I argue against a “Black” Bond. I would argue against a “Black” Ariel for the same reasons. Did you read the take?

• MuddyMole
    I suggested something similar in the Idris Elba discussion.
    It's not just about race or even gender though. There's been a clear effort to "modernize" Bond movies, with the aim of making them appeal to a new generation, because obviously a lot of the traditional content would now be considered clichéd and misogynistic - and "modern" tends to be synonymous with having characters who are younger, more working class and more racially diverse.

The movies themselves are also more generic action blockbuster types than previous instalments, and so those kinds of characters are more relatable to their new target audience (the same young, uneducated males who like all that Marvel shite). Avoiding criticism for being too discriminatory is probably just an added bonus.

I wouldn't call it "dumbing down" as such, because Bond movies were never exactly highbrow cinema to begin with, but it is a kind of "chavvification".
    • But Craig's Bond was misogynistic. He even said so. It is just that the women have changed. They are no longer just eye candy. They are agents themselves with their own agendas.

time.com/.../

• Yes, the Bond character is misogy... ah hell, I can't even write out that stupid word. James Bond is a FICTIONAL CHARACTER; that is, he's NOT REAL. When the character was created all those decades ago, the way that the Bond character relates to women was how the vast majority of men related to women. That is, they weren't the little wimpy incel/MGTOW shits that we have today. Most Western men are utterly incapable of even standing in the presence of a woman that is a couple of cm taller than he, because most of them have been brainwashed by feminist propaganda. Is that the kind of Bond you want? A clueless, indecisive, wimpy coward who is both shaken and stirred whenever he hears someone using the "wrong pronouns"? Yeah, I wouldn't go to see that movie!

• @Rachelspiks Is there any point to following me around this thread? Do you have any opinion on the thread topic? Why don't you create you own thread, invite me, and I will respond. I have no idea what you are trying convey with these hit and run posts.

• Show More (16)
o;?