The Little Mermaid isn't White. Just Like Jesus.

purplepoppy

Ok there's been a lot of moaning on GAG about the black Ariel so it's time for a poppy slapdown. We all know jesus wasn't white but artists have turned him into a white guy, just like they've done with Ariel.

ARIEL IS GREEK

Ariel's father is King Triton, who is Poseidon's son, according to Greek history. Thus, Poseidon is Ariel's grandpa.

SKIN COLOUR

In the original story she is described as "Her skin was as soft and tender as a rose petal, and her eyes were as blue as the deep sea, but like all the others she had no feet. Her body ended in a fish tail."

Nowhere in this description is there a mention of skin colour. Given people of that time were a little bit racist I would have expected him to mention if she was black. The blue eyes does suggest northern European but they are also found in the med.

Ill let you jump to your own conclusions on this pic
I'll let you jump to your own conclusions on this pic

Early images of her by Vilhelm Pedersen show her with a Mediterranean appearance.

In fact most early illustrations show her as dark haired.

Very Mediterranean
Very Mediterranean
Doesnt look north European to me
Doesn't look north European to me
Again more Mediterranean looking or perhaps Japanese

Some books like this one from the 60s show her as blonde

Perhaps shes died her hair
Perhaps she's died her hair

So there you are. She's been reinvented and whitened up over the years. Just like Jesus.

32
7
7Girl Opinion
32Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• MCheetah

I agree with you on everything except the story of The Little Mermaid was a Danish fairy tale/folklore story, and the father being King Triton, was kinda added in later on. So not Greek, but Danish (not that either culture naturally had redheads). But yeah, she definitely wasn't black, and she definitely wasn't a man-hating feminist "who don't need no man, mmm-hmmm gurrrrrrl!"

The reason people are pissed with this movie is, besides the blatant sh*tting all over the past in order to push more anti-white racism and propaganda towards CHILDREN, the movie is also pointless, should have never been made (along with all the other horrible remakes), and looks like low budget trash, from top to bottom.

Even if she was white, this movie would've been unpopular due to it being yet another soulless cash grab made by Disney. But add in the anti-white racism, unironic "cultural appropriation" of Dutch culture (not that I even care about such a thing, but the hypocrisy is astounding), and the stupid f*cking a-holes like "Mark" in the comments on this page, saying the most punchable sh*t imaginable, and it pisses ME off through the internet, even though I'm the type of "person of color" this hyper soyboy bitch thinks he's using his whiteness to defend.

In short, this trailer and movie, was only made to piss people off and Disney knew what they were doing with it: stroking more hate and flame wars, hoping they're profit off it, when all they're doing is burning more bridges.

But yeah, you're also right that Jesus wasn't white either (assuming he was even real). He would've been Arab.

Is this still revelant?
    • about the Jesus part I agree with you on him not being white. that white Jesus that christians and catholics been worshipping for a while is Cesare Borgia

however I disagree with him being arab as well, I believe he was black for the fact that Israel was broken down into 12 tribes at the time he was born and those 12 tribes were scattered all over the world during the slavery era and here they are...

• MCheetah

Thank you for the Most Helpful Opinion.

• @Filthy_Immigrant The children of Israel weren’t American or Indian. Neither they or their forefathers have ever been to America or doubtfully India. They were Palestinians/Israelis and possibly Africans or Arabs.

• AviatorTom

@purplepoppy Your talent is showing once again, great description.

I've been to Copenhagen to the Little Mermaid statue, and she's not white, not black, she's a bluish green.

The REAL Little Mermaid in Copenhagen
    The REAL Little Mermaid in Copenhagen
    LikeFunny 5 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

730
  • lightbulb27

as you noted, she definitely wasn't black... so why make her black? The culture she'd be from was European, probably more light colored. this is agenda being pushed by wokism of the day. Only this day and age would we be so lost in race rather than examining what the story is about and the joy of the story.

I have no issue with a black, brown, blue, orange mermaid. heck, maybe she'd be related to an Orca and have a big fin on her back? But invent something new.

What next... superman is black? I know what I'll do... I'll make a movie about Major Taylor, but he will be... Chinese!! The story of the early 1900's greatest bike racer who won globally, he was really a black African American, but portrayed by Jackie Chan!

The real major taylor... God rest his soul!
    New revised !.. to be released in theaters near you soon...

Nihow!

Can we stop the Bullsh_?

Reply
    • HollyK21

There’s a lot of other comments here, but I’m choosing to comment on yours since you took the time to write (and include pictures) such a hateful and ignorant take on this topic. Major Kelly is an actual person, so do you know what a movie about him would be? A documentary! Regardless of The Little Mermaids author, no where is it stated specifically that she has to be a white woman, and if you’ve even red the original story there is nothing joyful about Ariel losing the love of her life, dying and turning into sea foam. Ariel is a fictitious fish woman, who’s dad is the king of the ocean carrying a fork, and Ursula is an octopus with purple skin. My point is that it doesn’t matter what race Disney chose to cast Ariel as. What does matter though is representation and inclusivity for all races. You grew up with a white superhero, and many of your favorite movies and actors mainly being cast as a white person, so representation doesn’t register for you. But there’s no way you can sit there and say you’re not racist when you wrote out this whole Take on how Ariel just cannot possibly be anything other than white. A lot of little black girls are finally being able to see themselves in their favorite princess, and you shitting on that is just hurtful. I don't know what you’re so pressed about, but you should really practice having some tact before acting so entitled.

• Guffrus

I'm not an expert on this but from the poking around I have been doing it seems that there is no 'Ariel' in Greek mythology.

The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson is from what i can see a bad story that really doesn't stand up to the scrutiny that it's fame forces it to bear and is nothing to do with Greek mythology but rather the Christian faith.

What this means is that 'Ariel, the Little Mermaid' is, as it copyright holders will also tell you, is an original work, albeit one that is inspired by other stories, as is true for many stories and as such Ariel is and always has been, half white, THE OTHER HALF BEING A FISH.

Though its not even accurate to say that she is 'half fish' at least with regard to the Hans Christian Anderson story because it is made perfectly clear that she is not half human, she is 100% mermaid.

Now, I have nothing against the idea that there are mermaids with dark skin etc but saying Ariel now suddenly has black skin is bullshit, I'm not going to accept that anymore than I am going to accept Superman being black.

These are established characters so when you change their skin colour, there is only one message and it is perfectly clear: it is not ok to be white.

You want to make new characters with dark skin, female, non binary, gay, autistic, whatever, that is totally fine, but don't tell me that the Ghostbusters are all women now because that is bullshit.

Reply
  • jshm2

To be fair. Ariel was a fictional character invented by Disney, as they didn't want to pay royalties for using the original works.

Hence she's actually "offbrand" to begin with!

Like a lot of American stories, they are jus rips of real stores from older cultures.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Havthrills

So true. There was also one painting that was Arabian. The Little Mermaid has been shown in many different ways. I also wondered when she went blond. Lol. Then again, I wondered how she got red hair in the cartoon. She didn't have clothes either until she got legs.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • DubiousIntentions

Exactly! Jesus was a Jew, and not quite white.. She should have been a greenish hue, just like the rest of the fish are.

Reply
  • motownplayer2000

Yeah. Kinda stupid that grown ass people are fighting over a fictional character. Like they have nothing better to do with there lives. Watch the movie or done watch the movie. It’s that freaking simple. But stop being simpletons and acting like this is actually important because it’s not. Ugh, the human race is fucked if this is what we fighting over

Funny 1 Person
    Reply
  • Pot8o

The author of The Little Mermaid, Hans Christian Andersen, was quite effeminate and possibly gay. Wonder what he would have thought about this whole kerfuffle.

Reply
  • HippieVeganJewslim

I’ve read The Little Mermaid translated into Russian, and the name Ariel wasn’t in there. Ariel is a Hebrew name, meaning lion of G-d. Since Greece is a European country, don’t Greeks classify as White? If Jesus (peace and blessings upon Him) ain’t White, how come the dang US Census classifies North Africa and the Middle East natives as White? We all know He is from Palestine.

I still deny Jesus as White, though, and the name of the Little Mermaid as Ariel.

Reply
  • Staximus

Who cares so much about a fictional mermaid and fictional son of a fictional god? God and Jesus are a fairy tale just like the little mermaid. If there was a Jesus, he sure as hell wasn't white. He would have looked just like any other dude descended from the Levant region. Middle Eastern, dark skin, dark hair. Not like some blond white European.

Reply
    • Staximus

Anybody who thinks Jesus was white or black is an idiot.

• bean2k21

This is total rubbish. Fact is, Jesus was THE SON OF GOD. Everyone who has seen God knows that he is a bright, WHITE light.

Funny 2 People
    Reply
    • A large portion of the world reckons that G-d has no children and no parents and no one is like Him. That ain’t a fact, but merely a belief.

• bean2k21

@HippieVeganJewslim Oh so what are you saying? Jesus was a black bastard? Yeah, we'll see how far that gets you when you're on your death bed.

• Jesus (peace and blessings upon Him) wasn’t Black nor a bastard. I plan not to have a bed when I die.

• tafarrier

I guess the Mermaid is lucky she's not in 50s and 60s South. so many here in the South think that was all settled in the civil war. wrongo

When Lincoln died and Jackson took over rebuilding the south,, by doing Nothing.. Blacks didn't get the vote till mid 60s. Black ladies later.. so its not finished with the Bigots still talking shit.

Reply
  • ohsheeT

And this is why I like you so much gag members need more poppy slap Downs I can't wait for December it's just right around the corner

Reply
  • Lliam

Greeks have Mediterranean skin but aren't African or black.

In the end, I couldn't care less about Disney or the Little Mermaid.

Reply
  • Vendela

The Little mermaid was also originally supposed to be a man, written about the authors gay lover. Obviously he wasn't dating a merman, but his gay lover inspired it.

Reply
  • FilmGuy93

That’s not quite accurate, because a Mediterranean person is still pretty damn pale.

LikeHelpfulDisagree 4 People
    Reply
  • Juxtapose

Mermaids would actually be translucent creatures that would be horrifying look at since they would be classified as deep sea creatures. You would be able to see her full skeletal structure.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • Juxtapose

So putting more melanin in the skin of a deep sea creature is the opposite of making sense.

• I think you made an excellent point. The race applied to human historical figures, and maybe some mythical gods and goddesses, but certainly not any aquatic myth. The skin would have to be scaly or adapted to water. Green. Algae-looking, or translucent, as you said. Definitely a few translucent marines out there as is. Interesting points mentioned in the post, but your claim holds a lot of weight in this, as well.

• Juxtapose

@Rosexøxø yeah, either way I'm sick of this woke shit that doesn't even make sense.

• Zolly99999

I don't know why people are freaking out.

First of all it's a fictional character.

Secondly who cares about skin color. This 2022 not 1773

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • God_of_Thunder

I keep hearing about this Little Mermaid crap, and literally every time that I do, all I can think of is, "Why do so many people even care?"

Seriously, WTF? They act like someone just farted on their mother, for Christ's sake. It's a FICTIONAL character, from a FICTIONAL story! She could be White, Black, Asian, or Klingon, and it wouldn't change anything.

Now, if Nelson Mandela was played by a white guy, or Sun Tsu was portrayed as a black man; I could understand the anger, but it's a freaking story book character. She's not a real person, and she never was.

Argh!

/rant over

Reply
    • MCheetah

People are bothered by the anti-white racism message Disney is sending out, as well as the hypocrisy of changing her race literally for no reason, then contradicting themselves by saying "mermaids aren't real, so race doesn't matter" which then goes back to the "then why did you blatantly change her race to begin with?" question. They also lose their sh*t when people use Photoshop to make Ariel look white again with red hair. If this was pre-2015, people would still be annoyed by it, but wouldn't think politics or race had anything to do with it and just chalk it up to horrible casting. But people "care" because it's blatant propaganda and race-baiting aimed at children, and it's f*cking DISGUSTING how insidious it is.

• Hey, those mermaids taste better with tartar sauce.

• KelleyNice

The original story states she has the whitest legs.

Reply
  • 007kingifrit

greeks are white, ariel has red hair, redheads are white

she is white.

jesus was also white. whites migrated out of that area and didn't return until much later.

Reply
  • Show More (17)