What’s your opinion on Steven Spielberg saying a female might get the role of Indiana Jones one day?

Steven Spielberg is reported to have said that a female may get the role of Indiana Jones in the future. He said it’s only a possibility and it’s not a guarantee that will happen. He also said that he knows that change will upset many fans, which hopefully means it’s unlikely. Harrison Ford is still set to be Indiana Jones one more time in Indiana Jones 5 though.

personally I think that change would ruin the franchise and would definitely cause those films to get lower ratings as can be seen with the 2016 ghostbusters. Politicizing iconic franchises is why Hollywood has such a negative reputation.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/5966069/steven-spielberg-indiana-jones-queen-ready-player-one/amp/

• It’s absolutely ridiculous
  • It’s bad
  • It’s alright
    Vote C
  • It’s good
    Vote D

3695

Most Helpful Girls

• I don’t feel good about it. Instead of female actors, writers and directors proving their creativity, worth and talent. They are just using men’s stories and swapping for females. That’s nothing to be proud of. They should stand on their own as the men have.

• My thoughts exactly! Instead of rebooting old male characters as female, women don't need to step in the men's shoes to play badass characters they can stand on their own.

• Exactly tomb raider was a good example that its possible for women play these roles with good feedback.

• Why would they change a male character to a female? It makes no sense at all. Isn't Lara Croft already a similar female character?

Most Helpful Guys

• They could always just stop making sequels when the actors are not capable of delivering the same performance. Might actually see something new come from Hollywood.

It makes no sense to change Indiana Jones from a man to a woman on the basis that change is a good thing. New Ideas are better.

Look at the Alien franchise. No one thought "we had better change Ripley to a man because men are tired of seeing this woman play the lead role, how can they ever draw inspiration from a woman" - how dumb and detached from people do you have to be to think like that... The important thing is the characters and the story.

Indiana is an established character, he's gruff and a dick and rouge like. You can't just go ahead an change the gender and expect those things to read the same to people; be it because of sexism, coding, or just because it's a different actor. Its also just lazy and boring.

Look at Ghostbusters, the film was a bad film - entertaining to some, but the story was crappy and the characters where poorly developed. Not too much of what was rehashed from the original film made sense for those actors to play on screen. Its like they tried to just carbon copy the jokes and humour and story of the first films but replaced the leads with people who just don't think that \ wouldn't act like that. That film could have been awesome, if they had developed the story and the characters uniquely to the originals. Instead the guy directing it just kept up with the rhetoric that people are being haters and women are funny this film will show that (which basically implied women had never been worth being in lead roles or had ever been funny before and he was there to stand up to misogyny - but then again Mary Poppins exists so... Sorry fella). So why not focus on new characters new story, develop the world a bit more and give the audience a fresh take on the story?

To bring it back to Indiana Jones, look at the last film. Its just awful. The people behind this film clearly aren't capable of funding, producing writing and directing a film with an established male character, do you really want them butchering the next Indi film and destroying what ever potential a new female Jones character could be?

I say if there must be a new film remove it from being a sequel to Indiana. Start it after 1980 and have the character related in some way to Indiana Jones. Basically make it a better Tomb Raider film.

• I'm against it. People need to stop replacing characters by switching demographics, it's stupid, it's also the least creative form of fiction. Why not a Dakota Jones who is Indies' daughter? There are a lot more women named Dakota who could identify with that than there are ladies going by the name of Indiana.

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed with what they did to the Ghostbusters, it's not as good of a franchise anymore which was shitty for peoples' childhoods. It's too comprable to the first movie, it could have been a unique experience but it looks more like a revisionist history take with women in mind.