What’s your opinion on Steven Spielberg saying a female might get the role of Indiana Jones one day?

Steven Spielberg is reported to have said that a female may get the role of Indiana Jones in the future. He said it’s only a possibility and it’s not a guarantee that will happen. He also said that he knows that change will upset many fans, which hopefully means it’s unlikely. Harrison Ford is still set to be Indiana Jones one more time in Indiana Jones 5 though.

personally I think that change would ruin the franchise and would definitely cause those films to get lower ratings as can be seen with the 2016 ghostbusters. Politicizing iconic franchises is why Hollywood has such a negative reputation.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/5966069/steven-spielberg-indiana-jones-queen-ready-player-one/amp/

• It’s absolutely ridiculous
    Vote A
  • It’s bad
    Vote B
  • It’s alright
    Vote C
  • It’s good
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I don’t feel good about it. Instead of female actors, writers and directors proving their creativity, worth and talent. They are just using men’s stories and swapping for females. That’s nothing to be proud of. They should stand on their own as the men have.

1|8
    0|0
    • My thoughts exactly! Instead of rebooting old male characters as female, women don't need to step in the men's shoes to play badass characters they can stand on their own.

• Exactly tomb raider was a good example that its possible for women play these roles with good feedback.

• Why would they change a male character to a female? It makes no sense at all. Isn't Lara Croft already a similar female character?

3|12
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• They could always just stop making sequels when the actors are not capable of delivering the same performance. Might actually see something new come from Hollywood.

It makes no sense to change Indiana Jones from a man to a woman on the basis that change is a good thing. New Ideas are better.

Look at the Alien franchise. No one thought "we had better change Ripley to a man because men are tired of seeing this woman play the lead role, how can they ever draw inspiration from a woman" - how dumb and detached from people do you have to be to think like that... The important thing is the characters and the story.

Indiana is an established character, he's gruff and a dick and rouge like. You can't just go ahead an change the gender and expect those things to read the same to people; be it because of sexism, coding, or just because it's a different actor. Its also just lazy and boring.

Look at Ghostbusters, the film was a bad film - entertaining to some, but the story was crappy and the characters where poorly developed. Not too much of what was rehashed from the original film made sense for those actors to play on screen. Its like they tried to just carbon copy the jokes and humour and story of the first films but replaced the leads with people who just don't think that \ wouldn't act like that. That film could have been awesome, if they had developed the story and the characters uniquely to the originals. Instead the guy directing it just kept up with the rhetoric that people are being haters and women are funny this film will show that (which basically implied women had never been worth being in lead roles or had ever been funny before and he was there to stand up to misogyny - but then again Mary Poppins exists so... Sorry fella). So why not focus on new characters new story, develop the world a bit more and give the audience a fresh take on the story?

To bring it back to Indiana Jones, look at the last film. Its just awful. The people behind this film clearly aren't capable of funding, producing writing and directing a film with an established male character, do you really want them butchering the next Indi film and destroying what ever potential a new female Jones character could be?

I say if there must be a new film remove it from being a sequel to Indiana. Start it after 1980 and have the character related in some way to Indiana Jones. Basically make it a better Tomb Raider film.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm against it. People need to stop replacing characters by switching demographics, it's stupid, it's also the least creative form of fiction. Why not a Dakota Jones who is Indies' daughter? There are a lot more women named Dakota who could identify with that than there are ladies going by the name of Indiana.

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed with what they did to the Ghostbusters, it's not as good of a franchise anymore which was shitty for peoples' childhoods. It's too comprable to the first movie, it could have been a unique experience but it looks more like a revisionist history take with women in mind.

0|4
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 34

• Interesting. I think it would be a good movie

0|3
    1|1
    • Why? Just because a woman is the lead doesn't change the plot any.

• Show All
    • Lara wore tight an somewhat revealing cloths. A bit unrealistic for a lot of her environments, but eye catching. Juniper legends (that's what I'm calling her for now and she's indies basterd-possibly also orphaned- child.) I'm thinking she could dress like the crocodile hunter and his kin. Or she could be Indian or African or something and dress in whatever's popular there. Indie went all over the world and obviously didn't use protection (as evident in his unexpected son, who is already an adult)

• I've gotta say, I'm liking the idea of a spinoff series more and more. They could just pit the old logo in the corner and make her her own new thing.

• How about instead of taking male characters and making them female for the sake of equality, we make women characters who are just as good and have their own strengths? No one wants Wonder Woman to be played by a man so why make Indiana Jones female?

2|3
    0|0
  • you'd rather see a 100 year old Harrison Ford keep doing it? Once he's out, having an open mind as to who plays the next Indy, can only revitalize the franchise.
    Remember what they said about the blond Bond and how that would ruin the 007 franchise. Daniel Craig is considered by many to be the best bond there ever was. (not including my dad who is forever Connery)
    Oh and there's also the female wolverine, who's nothing short of a total bad ass.

1|1
    0|0
    • A female wolverine? Thats from the comics though so not really a remake of the male wolverine. She is a character of her own. It gets a little out of hand when the original display of the character is altered to the point where the character isn't even recognizable anymore.

• Chris Pratt would be his replacement not a female actress.

• Not surprised that you’ve got your knickers in a twist over this, key smash boy.

3|1
    0|1
    • I have the right to express my opinion.

• Show All
    • So you’re definitely on a soapbox. Cool. Have fun with it.

• Are you taking about the black panther? Because I’m not the one who had a issue with it.

• See this is why we've gone back to hang nerds. Y'all could be smart about anything but no you out all your energy into hating hypothetical women and yelling about shitty meme sauce.

3|4
    1|6
    • Show All
    • @Ahsthen purred while she slapped by sausage around

• @PervinMervin29 : hey, I like to watch.

• can't we have our own character? why reboot indy? if it happens i think i want emily deschanel or felicity jones and no aliens whatsoever.

2|7
    0|0
    • I don't know who those characters are, but that is exactly my stance. Why ruin a good series by trying to rework it a to make it fit major changes. You could just build from the ground up and make something fantastic. They'd own the writs to something they made just as much as something they bought. Rule 69-ing the charters is the job of the Internet and cosplayers. They do it better, anyway.

• Show All
    • @Teddy51 for fucks sake

• Oh, sorry

• I neither like or dislike the idea.

The best way to describe my feelings would be to compare it to Doctor Who. LOVE that The Doctor is a woman now. But it makes sense for that sort of franchise, because of the regeneration aspect.

0|3
    0|0
    • Correct, it makes sense since the role of the Doctor is supposed to change over time. Indiana Jones is one guy, and the same person. It would be like getting a white guy to play MLK Jr. in a biopic. Like, what?

• I agree, definitely!

• I don't see the point in suddenly changing up the gender of an originally male character to get more women on the bandwagon. Never have understood that, never will. It's not like we as women can only ever identify with, or empathize with characters that share our genitals. Most of us as human beings SHOULD have the capacity to empathize with other human beings without that being influenced by whether or not the character gets to bleed out of their genitals.

0|1
    0|0
  • I love how the same people who get upset over this are generally the ones flocking in to see Americanized remakes of other films. It's perfectly okay to white wash characters but the minute gender gets changed people fly into a tiz. It's a movie, if you don't like it don't watch it. A female reboot isn't going to change the originals. There are far more important things at stake in the film industry right now. Generally the lack of creativity and originality in anything lately.

1|1
    0|0
    • I don't know i knew people would rather have Bruce lee than some girl remake, or will smith opposed to a white guy playing hancock 2 or i am legend 2.

• Show All
    • Have you ever seen Prometheus? All reboots are not bad. Tomb raider was actually a really good movie in my opinion because while it was clearly inspired by other American movies it stood in its own light.

• Female indiana jones is just... Well you know. An indiana jones in female form.

• In my opinion.. i always thought that was a name better suited for a woman.. so it seemed gay for a guy to be Indiana Jones... weird! It should have always been a girl or change the name to something more masculine... if it was gonna be a dude!

0|2
    3|1
    • It anyway! What’s Donne is done... why change the sex now or the name even... it’s annoying.

I hate that they made a gay in beauty and the beast... just because the original didn’t have it... that’s the reason I hate it... why add that. Just seems unnecessarily Stupid.

• Show All
    • It's dumb and I'll tell you why. He already exists. He's already established. He's already a he. Why can't people simply grow an imagination and WRITE AN GOOD ORIGINAL CHARACTER? Ghost Busters weren't the daughters of the ghost busters. They weren't they're students, or just women who also found out about ghosts and wanted to exterminate them. THEY WERE THE GHOST BUSTERS. The only ones to ever exist in the universe, with nothing to do with the past material, completely upsetting cannon to make a half-hearted movie half-hearted rule 69 of Ghostbusters. Anyone watch the animated series? They had women, but they never existed anymore. They just waisted the franchise. It doesn't really matter, I guess. They can do what they want with it. It's their property. Eventually they'll see that they're killing off their fan base, hapefully they'll actually come up with some fresh ideas at that time.

• Don't forget, in BatB, they had tons of aristocratic black people... in France. Not Othello types, French types, like from established families. Again, if they want to waist their money, they'll just see a decline in their audience. It's not really going to keep me up at night.

• As a reboot? I mean sure, why not. I'm just generally not a fan of reboots and remakes. Why can't Hollywood come up with new ideas? It would be way more exciting to see new, original strong female lead characters.

1|2
    0|0
    • Because humanity is in a confused state of dramatic need. The human pasttime is to tell and listen to stories. They could be doing better things.

• When we say we want more strong female leads, we want original characters. We don't want to replace males we want to get our own heroes

1|6
    0|0
    • Become your own hero. Or, simply not need the concept. NOW THAT'S PROGRESSIVE.

• I would rather we leave Indiana Jones and create a new character. Getting real tired of all these reboots and stuff, can't hollywood do something original this decade?

2|2
    0|0
  • y. do. u. care. so. fucking. much. its. just. a. woman. playing. a. fictional. character. 😧😩😫😑

3|5
    3|5
    • why do people care? Because indiana jones is an established character, you can't just cut his dick off, it's part of who he is, that old dog lol

• Show All
    • @Greatcat 'an established character' 😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 im fucking rollin

• bitch yu drunk? Yeah he's an established character, you don't just change somebody's character fundamentally once it's been established. Is peter griffin going to be a griffen in family guy from now on? Is the next uncharted going to feature nathan drake as a woman? How about a female batman, but not batwomen because that already exists, we'll call it 'batmom', it's brilliant! Yeah let's release a school of rock where jack black is actually jaquila black and is a sexy strong independent black woman because female minority's can rock too!

Just make new characters and new stories if you want a female indiana jones make a lara croft WHY NOT JUST USE LARA CROFT FFS

• I'm all for equality but all these female reboots are getting ridiculous. Not every male character needs a female version. What's next? Wonder Man and Cat Man? FFS..

0|2
    0|0
  • It would make more sense if the person (male or female) is continuing on the work of Indiana Jones rather than they are Indiana Jones.

1|5
    0|0
  • It’s absolutely ridiculous. That's an horrible idea too are they changing Marion gender?
    The only ways I would be ok with it would be if it was his daughter then it's ok even though I would personally prefer if it was a guy (his sons) to continue his adventure.

0|2
    0|0
  • I would rather have indiana jones stay a male and not hop on the LETS CHANGE THE GENDER CAUSE ITS MODERN TIMES AND BE CONSIDERED REVOLUTIONARY.

1|5
    0|0
  • Lara Croft comes to mind first.

Not like he’s bringing to the table something unique so I’d probably just check out. Spielberg is sometimes so far off base it’s ridiculous.

0|3
    0|0
    • Yeah let's make the next "Lara Croft" into a guy. But still call him Lara Croft.

• I think its alright. Indiana sound like a girls name anyways. Maybe they’ll be the next Alice from Resident Evil or Lara Croft (think Angelina, not this new girl).

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah and bridget jones might be a guy one day just for the sake off political correctness... silly and does not help the equality cause..

0|5
    0|0
    • When females en masse are willing to die for the cause, ya all will be plodding up hill.

• Rather, you won't be/until you're ready to die... jeez, terrible writing.

• I thought we have Lara Croft for that. The last movie was terrible. end the Serie already

2|5
    0|0
  • Most guys would hate that, me too actually. I don't see the point in this, it's a male character.

0|1
    0|0
  • I personally think that change is good and if done properly it could be a very entertaining movie. However, for realism and sticking with a franchise, Indiana has been a man for so long and should remain that way. I wouldn’t dislike a female Indiana, I just feel like the story needs to remain consistent. How would you explain 5 movies with a male lead, and then suddenly a female one. If they could make a really good storyline for it, that explains why it’s a female now, give a back story. Maybe a curse? Maybe they’ll make Indiana have a daughter who follows in his footsteps? I just feel like it would need a lot of context to fit with the franchise.

0|2
    0|0
    • The daughter idea is fantastic, just like with Nathan Drakes. It's already been established that he had a son that he never knew about, and he's definitely had a lot of unprotected intercourse. She could not even know about him but have been interested in the same courier because "it's in her blood" and we just find out through her mother looking through old photographs and it never actually being declared, but hinted at... though that would mean a different last name.

• Show All
    • Or she was raised in an orphanage and (I'm sort of joking but also not entirely) she goes to university ( doesn't have to be in America, and she doesn't have to be an American... or completely white, necessarily.) And she uses one of the DNA ancestory things and finds out she's related to him, but she's never really heard of him, until this point, and she starts researching him and reads his books or whatever and starts her fist adventure of trying to find him (like indie did). But the movie doesn't have indieanna jones anywhere in the title. Instead, it's a spinoff called Jane Ann and the city of Eldorado, or something like that. They'd just have the old logo in the corner or something.

• I like the name jasmine, but it needs to be catchier. Juniper Legends, or something foreign to the west entirely. Indie went all over the world, after all.

• I don't really care but I think that's taking feminism a little too far. At least call it something different

0|2
    0|0
  • Gender bender reboots are dumb as fuck. I'd rather see new stuff with female leads

0|3
    0|0
  • What's the point? Humans can't change sex, only some frogs can do that.

0|3
    0|0
    • Just frogs? There are also fish, snakes, lizards, and slugs that can as well

• Show All
    • @MidnightCowboy Interesting, Clownfish and Wrasses, good to know and the only accurate example in the article.
      Corals are not much of an animals, they look more like plants, but ok.
      As for the slugs, it just comfirms what I said: Slugs are hermaphrodites, they don't change sex, they have both male and female organs, and they use them simultaneously.
      Snakes are reptilians, just like lizards, so it's not unusual for some species of snakes to reproduce by parthenogenesis, but that's not "changing the sex", it's just unisexualism (aka Gonochorism).
      Some birds can be both sexes simultaneously - that's not changing the sex, is't hermaphroditism.
      Lobsters and butterflies - it's possible because they are arthropods.

• I like the idea, either way, I will keep watching Indiana Jones

1|0
    0|0
  • it’s like saying tomb raider will be a dude one day

0|2
    0|0
  • Let’s leave Indiana Jones as a man.

2|6
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 93

• Maybe if Henry Walton Jones Jnr and Marion Ravenwood had a daughter, decided to name her "Indiana" after her father's nickname (and after her dad's first dog), and she became the new central character of the franchise. Otherwise, no thanks. Especially if they just did a reboot and do away with the entirety of canon just for the sake of "inclusiveness".

0|1
    0|0
  • There's already a female Indiana Jones, her name is Lara Croft from Tomb Raider, and she's way more badass than Indy will ever be.

1|1
    0|1
    • Tomb raider is alright, but is more of a Indiana Jones ”knockoff”.

• I don't care if woman are leads in movies, but MAKE YOUR OWN MOVIE STOP USING WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE, HAVE YOUR OWN IDEA

0|2
    0|0
  • So it's basically gonna be Tomb Raider? We all know how well that did...

Look I don't mind having a female archeologist fighting for her life to steal some jewel or artifact, but she literally can't be Indiana Jones. She could be his daughter that he had after a wild night in India but that's about it. Otherwise, she should be her own character who at the most idolizes Jones for his accomplishments.

0|2
    0|0
  • I'm all for equality in the sense that women and men can both excel in any area they choose to put effort into...

But...

Indiana Jones and similarly, James Bond are male guilty pleasures of a time gone by... Of men not needing to apologise for being men... And screw up as men would... Yet work it through with persistence, ingenuity and some luck to get to the finish...

I can enjoy Lara Croft for who she is and for doing similar things to Indiana... But in vastly different ways just because she's a woman... That difference makes her interesting and embraceable as a heroine...

Saying there'll be a female Indiana Jones is patronising for the sake of being politically correct...
    Likewise having a female James Bond would never be the same... So she beds guys all over the world, throws out cheesy one liners, and flashes the latest gadgets... I have a feeling even women won't watch her...

There are plenty of female leads in spy movies but we enjoy them precisely because they don't act like James... For having a sensitivity that James lacks but no less ruthless and goal focused.

I dread the day they think we should have a male version of Snow White... Or a male version of Mary Poppins...(of course he'll turn out to be a paedophile as the twist of the story...)

All this is politically correctness gone crazy...

0|0
    0|0
  • Some complain about the lack of films with a female being the main character - why don't they just create films with female characters rather than always aiming to replace male characters with female ones? I can't understand it myself. A female Indiana Jones would be as ridiculous as a male Lara Croft.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't care. What matters is if the movie is good. If she's a good actress and the movie is written well with a good story and plot and action. And it is a good movie. The sex of the main character will be irrelevant or not matter to me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do think that the franchise should have died after the trilogy was finished. It had a good run.

I would not have a problem with creating an Indiana Jones-esque role that is a female. I mean, Lara Croft exists. However, if they simply swap an established character's sex … well, that'd be mere lazy writing.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would be fine if they roped it into Harrison ford's last movie as Indiana Jones. Kinda like him passing on the torch. If they make it good with a female character with good character development, good attributes, and all that. I would be interested. I just want to see another movie with a Mary Sue stereotype that makes the films boring.

0|1
    0|0
  • I find it hot and badass. I like tough female characters who are adventurous, not those princess types.

1|0
    0|1
  • Is it fine to REBOOT the series with a female lead sure I m I don't mind or care, CONTINUE the series with a female lead it's a stupid idea.

If they full on reboot Indiana Jones okay but to say between the cold war and Afghanistan he had a sex change is stupid even for a series with aliens, and fantastical elements.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why should you care? Let Spielberg do whatever the hell he likes, and deal with the economic consequences. If the public likes it, good for him. If they don't and it ends up being a flop, then he learns a hard lesson.

Bottom line, movie makers just want to make money, just like the rest of us at the end if the day. If turning Indiana Jones into a woman will do that, then they will.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can see that, let’s not forget of real life women such as Amelia Earhart, Jane Goodall or Margret Mead who basically have done things, adventurers, explorers and just as daring as their male counterparts. It’s not a far-fetched idea

0|0
    0|0
  • Aye. I personally wouldn't mind it, but I can understand his concern and the reasons against such action that you've listed. A female version would be better started as a new story, making her a new character -- not a replacement actor for a well-known character. Hell, it could start as a spin-off to give her background in the Indiana Jones universe.

0|0
    0|0
  • Could be a great movie, or could be an awful movie, but that's overshadowed by them breaking the immersion with a sudden sexchange. I'm perfectly fine if they use a similar character and a similar plot, but give it it's own Person, e. g. Lara Croft, or Abner Ravenwood.

0|0
    0|0
  • We already have a female Indiana Jones! Her name is Lara Croft!

Why do feminists want to change existing characters, isn't that just the "patriarchal habit" of "put a bow on it" which is considered misogynistic? Like when they put a bow on Pacman to create Mrs. Pacman.

If you want strong adventurous female characters, then freaking create one, but leave existing characters as they are!

0|1
    0|0
  • Honestly it could be cool done RIGHT, that being said it would most likely end up bad. I'm also not a fan of just changing characters to different races/genders just for the hell of it. Hence why I feel the Ghostbusters reboot was awful. It just takes away from it in my opinion as it's being forced to conform to what ideals Hollywood wants to put forth.

0|1
    0|0
  • And I think a male should get the role of Lara Croft one day.

Contrarily to Doctor Who being a female, which I think is absolutely fine, for Indiana Jones it's ridiculous

0|1
    0|0
    • For Doctor Who, it's no problem tbh since it's been firmly established in the lore itself that time lords can regenerate into a different gender prior to it happening to The Doctor, so it fits well within the universe--doesn't feel like fanfiction or anything.

Doing something like making a completely human character suddenly go from white to black or male to female, however, without any story backing said transition is problematic though, mainly because you're basically creating a completely different reality/universe.

• I agree, Lara Croft should be male if they make that radical change to Indiana Jones.

• I hope she turns out to be as entertaining as the 11th Doctor (Matt).

• as some sort of spin-off of perhaps the off-spring or relative or simply indiana jones-esque person i understand it and i'm fine with it

but simply putting a female in the character role seems incongruous to the story

0|0
    0|0
  • I hate it when people think we need to make characters black, female, or whatever just to be inclusive.

If the best actor for the role happens to be a white male, he shouldn’t be ignored just because he’s white and male.

It’s like handing out participation awards in school, just so people feel better for performing badly.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont give a damn who plays a role. So long as it is done well and is entertainung what does it matter. It's fiction. Things change. Its a nrw spin on something

Damn, we complain about stupid things these days -_-

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds about right, he likely wants to reboot the franchise but it will crash and burn if you do what they did with Ghostbusters. This is the problem with Hollywood today they think all that's needed is to change a charcters gender race or sexuality will make a movie an automatic blockbuster rather than coming up with orginal movies and charcters. The Push of SJW bullshit hasn't worked out finacially for movies they should drop it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who is politicizing it? Wtf?
    It's a work of fiction, there is no one politicizing anything.
    The exact same discussion was brought by the female Dr. Who, even for a genderless "God of time", and now this.
    Most of you didn't even remember Indiana Jones franchise even existed and now are whining. That's bullshit

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as a man gets to play Bridget Jones then cool. And Lara Croft. And Wonder Woman.

1|2
    0|0
  • I have a strong feeling that whoever will make that move would ruin it, just like they did with ghostbusters, classic ghostbusters was really awesome, but the remake was literally too boring and weird, i think there are some roles in movies, that men can do it better, and there are some movie roles that women can only do it better, so its a stupid idea to throw a woman in a man's role

0|0
    0|0
  • Fucking stupid. Feminist women are ruining EVERYTHING. They think that females have to do every little thing a man does. THIS IS A MALE CHARACTER FOR GODS SAKE! You know what women remind me of when they try to do everything men do? They remind me of the younger brother who whines to his mom because his older brother gets to do certain things. “But mooooooooommmmm, why does HE get to do *fill in the blank* but I canttttt?”

1|0
    0|0
  • If you watch movies over 20 years you will notice, that happens more often than you think... for me its more a problem that some movies are made from comics but the story isn't the same, or is mixed with another story which has nothing to do with the orginal one (like the last thor movie, 2 different comics in one movie

0|0
    0|0
  • The PC pressure in Hollywood is obviously very strong!

0|1
    0|0
  • There's already a female Indiana Jones. Her name's Lara Croft!

0|3
    0|0
  • Not exactly groundbreaking, it would be a remake of Indiana Jones and a copy of Tomb Raider rolled into one. It's just for the money, any other justification is ridiculous.

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes