What is true beauty

This isn't me just a very beautiful woman

The definition of beauty

A combination of qualities, such as shape, colour, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight

Yet Confucius said of beauty:

Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it.

So what is beauty? (This is a question if you guys have opinions) Is it defined by the symmetry of your face, is it your age, colour, race, bone structure, gender, body shape, weight or how flat your stomach is? Or maybe it's defined by what you see in the media or by popular culture and trends, for example a big butt and big lips are in, simply because of certain celebrities.

Different cultures believe beauty to be different (yes I did my homework for this)

From the Kayan tribes who believe that long giraffe type necks are the ultimate sign of beauty and from age five, start stretching their necks with heavy brass rings, to several parts of Asia where pale or white skin is seen as a sign of beauty

Or maybe beauty is the ability of the makeup artists

Watching a very pretty girl on TV sadly describe herself as "not being very pretty and not even attractive" I wondered what that really meant

Have you ever come out of a steamy hot shower and tried to look at your reflection in the mirror when it's completely covered in steam(yes annoys me too mirrors need windscreen wipers)

I often think that is how we tend to view our beauty through fogged and distorted mirrors. We are seeing ourselves but the picture isn't exactly what is truly there and we have limited visibility! The mirrors have been fogged up through different life experiences and memories the traumas and the process of growing up and now come together to form an adult beauty

The first mirror is formed as a young child and is often based on what was said about us from our parents and those around us. I remember being told that I was a cute child, so that when I got a little older and was around six or seven and another child (not surprisingly a little boy) tried to tell me I was ugly maybe I was - everything within me rose up against the statement and I completely denied it. The statement was in such contrast to what had been drilled into me, that my self-belief in what my parents had said stood strong.

The second mirror is the mirror of the teenager for me I was homeschooled and I had a bit of a hard time loving myself around this time a lot happened and that mirror morphed into a strange daemon of self hate and in a lot of ways it's still there but I am starting to rebuild the child like me having a better confidence in myself

The final mirror comes from socially constructed ideas of beauty. When you see the actresses and the singers and the models with perfect bodies and faces and we are all trying to force ourselves into this no rowing gap of perfection

I believe that real beauty is acceptance of yourself, perceived flaws and all and to realise that they are a part of what makes you, you. It's a radiance of spirit, having character, kindness to ourselves and to others, it's strength and self-confidence to know that with or without makeup the real beauty is you.

Part of beauty also has to be about the things that make you feel beautiful. For me that's anything from lounging at home with my hair up in a bun minus the makeup, to a compliment from a stranger when I'm not even trying, to wearing an amazing new outfit combined with a bright red lipstick.

I say beauty comes from within - you are beauty and beauty is you. You are perfect it might not seem that way but you are

I think it's about starting to appreciate yourself as you would any other perfect being

If you look at a flower or sunset, you don't tend to judge it; you simply accept and appreciate it for what it is.

So maybe it's time to create a fourth mirror, a new mirror that is wiped clean and is minus the fog of comparisons, accusations, judgement and expectations.

Now this isn't easy I'm struggling with myself to do so and it's hard but I'm here to fight with you and win with you a message to. Every insecure or hurting person out there I feel you and I'm here

Take a look, a real hard look and embrace and accept you as you are - beautiful

What is true beauty
21
3

Join the discussion

Most Helpful Guys

Most Helpful Girl

• advices9290

Beauty is technically everywhere. Everyone is beautiful in their own way to someone else.

Is this still revelant?

219
  • MadWorld111

Wish I could see it in females, but 99% of it is covered and ruined in makeup.

• Dav1ss

Most true thing I've read in a while

• Piteka5

Beauty for us is very visual, but it can be more than that, if we're talking about girls even I don't fully know what traits make me consider someone beautiful, I've been trying to analyse that in fact

• I don't think I have the words to tell you how beautiful this take is.

• Dav1ss

Thank you โ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธ

• Dchrls78104

Beauty is defined as that which pleases the eyes; but real beauty comes from within and often radiates to the outside.

• Thank you for doing this! And I hope you can let some of this help you too :)

• Poormanscomedian

the type of person you are inside , this will determine the kind of guy or gal you marry. Yes marry is the way to go.

• LowSelfSteem

Beauity is define by different things.

My step-mom always used remind me of the ugly duckling.

• Avicenna

Good thoughts. To me it is a beautiful heart that attracts others.

• zagor

Beauty walks a razor's edge
    Someday I'll make it mine

• I would lick her armpit she's so pretty

• Rangers

I still have a lot of work to do

• bklynbadboy1

Awwww I love this

• PLAIN_SPOKEN

A sense of humor

• Me.

I am true beauty.

• Liam_Hayden

True beauty radiates outwards.

• daddy1995

2k19 true beauty = wealth

• HereIbe

Well, she always looks prettier on her knees.

• Johnq408

Beauty is in the eye of beholder of beholder..

• Allin8888

All natural weight no make up. Is hot

• great personality an treats people nice

• Anonymous
    • Dav1ss

Why are you watching that?