Is it wrong for a white girl to have box braids?

So I've been wanting to get box braids for a long time. I'm white. I feel that if I get them I will get accused of appropriating black culture. That's not my intention at all. I think the style is absolutely beautiful and I get bored of my hair fast. I don't want to dye it or constantly be using heat on it. My hair doesn't get greasy often so that's not a problem. Would it be wrong of me to get them? And if it's not, could y'all give me some tips on keeping it looking good?

146

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Couple of things:
    1) Other race people telling you this is not cultural appropriation... is really not the same thing as someone of that culture saying, you know what, this is or isn't cultural appropriation to me. I mean, it's like me telling the traffic cop that I don't believe I was speeding because I don't want a ticket, and I don't want to take any responsibility for my actions. Another race doesn't want it to be portrayed as cultural appropriation because they may feel that that this is unfair to them ironically, so keep that in mind as you read some of the comments whether you truly care about that or not should you have future discussions or questions on the topic.
    2. HOWEVER, I will say, that it's just hair. It can be completely cut off, it can grow, every race just about has every color and mixture, and uses wigs, weaves, braids, curls, and everything else. If you wear box braids wear them, but wear them with the knowledge that some may take offense, but at least it sounds like, you at least have an inkling why that is, and you just will deal with it, how you deal with it.