Is it wrong for a white girl to have box braids?

So I've been wanting to get box braids for a long time. I'm white. I feel that if I get them I will get accused of appropriating black culture. That's not my intention at all. I think the style is absolutely beautiful and I get bored of my hair fast. I don't want to dye it or constantly be using heat on it. My hair doesn't get greasy often so that's not a problem. Would it be wrong of me to get them? And if it's not, could y'all give me some tips on keeping it looking good?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Couple of things:
    1) Other race people telling you this is not cultural appropriation... is really not the same thing as someone of that culture saying, you know what, this is or isn't cultural appropriation to me. I mean, it's like me telling the traffic cop that I don't believe I was speeding because I don't want a ticket, and I don't want to take any responsibility for my actions. Another race doesn't want it to be portrayed as cultural appropriation because they may feel that that this is unfair to them ironically, so keep that in mind as you read some of the comments whether you truly care about that or not should you have future discussions or questions on the topic.
    2. HOWEVER, I will say, that it's just hair. It can be completely cut off, it can grow, every race just about has every color and mixture, and uses wigs, weaves, braids, curls, and everything else. If you wear box braids wear them, but wear them with the knowledge that some may take offense, but at least it sounds like, you at least have an inkling why that is, and you just will deal with it, how you deal with it.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• Stop listening to the racists. What you're doing is not cultural appropriation. If you wanna do it, then do it.

0|0
    1|0
  • Wrong? No. But white girls look disgusting with braids.

2|0
    2|1
  • Lol white women who do this look trashy as fuck. I don't fuck with them. They might like braids but for the sake of human-kind never wear braids, they don't suite you guys.

1|1
    1|0
  • don't worry about that bullcrap "cultural appropriation" stuff. u do your hair how u like. If anyone has a problem with it because of your skin color, they're the f*cking racist. It probably would look good on you so no reason to shy away from it.

0|0
    1|0
  • You mean corn rows? Yeah I have seen some white girls with them

0|0
    1|0
    • It may look ghetto to some people though so you might get looks but if you don't act it then don't worry about it

• Box braids are NOT cornrows. Two very different things.

• @existing_not_living oh then maybe you can pull it off and see how it goes, at least you can change it back if you get bad comments

What Girls Said 13

• i dont think so. but some call that cultural appropriation.

however, with the globalization era, almost everyone does some cultural apropriation at some level.

The thing is some cultures tend to be sensitive about it. Try not to be disrespectful. Other than that, I think box braids are ok for you to wear...

1|0
    1|0
  • I've heard that some people might find it so. And you're right, box braids are beautiful: but you're not going to have the right hair texture to pull it off. I don't even know the boxed hair would stay in.

1|0
    0|0
  • First things first i'm Black, for future reference. I don't think it's cultural appropriation because its a hairstyle i don't think we have staked claim on braids.
    I mean you do you. End of the day it's your hair and you should wear and try out new looks if you want to.

0|0
    1|0
  • I think it would be okay to get them they look cool and if someone might accused you of appropriating black culture it's stupid I mean some people that are black make there hair look like a style that would be natural for someone who is another race you just do you

0|0
    1|0
  • No... I think I want some to be honest.
    She loooooks so pretty in them :o

2|0
    0|0
  • It might not be you intention, but it will be hella offensive. It's a big ass hit to the tit when white people wear hairstyles black people are usually shamed for. You'll probably hear shit like the mess you see in the comments about going for it and ignoring "SJW's" and how it's "reverse racism" for Black POC to have a problem with it, but those comments are wrong. Don't do it.
    www.huffingtonpost.com/.../its-a-slap-in-the-face-when-white-women-wear-black-hairstyles_us_55c0c153e4b0b23e3ce3f27b

0|1
    2|0
    • the problem is you also see black people dying their hair blonde and somehow that isn't cultural appropriation...

in th global era almost everyone apropriates something... i think it should rather be caled sharing cultures than appropriation.

some people tend to only see the bad side of things.. as long as she is not mistreating anyone. i dont think there should be a problem with it...

• Show All
    • of course i won't deny that what white people do tends to be somthing most people tend to want to immitate. it's stupid in a way.

i wish we could look at each other less like strangers and more as all human. but there is still some way to go.

• It's not because times are changing because people still bash Black women for it and have never stopped. It's only because we've become a trend that people are only okay with it on someone who isn't black.

• I had braids before & got a ton of compliments on them. Do what you like :)

0|0
    1|0
  • I think it's fine and I know a lot of white girls that have gotten corn rows

0|0
    1|0
  • No, it is not. If you want box braids, get you some box braids. Some people are just idiots.

0|0
    1|0
  • no it is not wrong you can get it

0|0
    1|0
  • More like a mockery. You can duplicate but you can imitate like the real deal.

1|0
    1|0
  • Wrong no just odd

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no problem with it but the SJW's will lose their shit

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes