Do guys really prefer women with no makeup?

It just seems whenever a girl asks whether a guy prefers a girl with makeup or without, almost all say that they prefer girls without. But when I see people interacting irl, they will always talk to the girl with makeup than the no makeup girl. I've seen guys telling girls to put on mascara or lipstick so that they can look less "sick". Or online when a girl takes off her makeup guys say "this is why I have trust issues", does that mean she's ugly without makeup? Otherwise they wouldn't say that-? So do guys really prefer girls without makeup? Or do they just say it to make themselves look good to the eyes of others? Do guys really prefer women with no makeup??Do guys really prefer women with no makeup??Do guys really prefer women with no makeup??

3|3

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I've always thought this was ridiculous. Some men say they prefer no makeup but...
    1) they will still think the girl with makeup is more attractive, women who wear makeup usually get approached more and receive more male attention.
    2) most can't tell the difference between "natural" makeup and legitimately no makeup. I've seen men post pictures of girls who clearly have makeup on and say "see! girls look so much better without it!" Lol

In reality, makeup is designed to enhance beauty, that's the whole point. So naturally, nearly every woman will look better with it. Women who don't wear makeup get told they are unattractive, tired, lazy, etc. but then when they DO wear it, they're "fake" and "lying to men." Haha! We can't win either way so you might as well just do what you want. :)

*Note: not all men are like this, it's mainly a phenomenon I've noticed online. Guys I know in real life don't seem to care whether or not a woman wears makeup.

8|0
    0|0
    • No, see it's like ya I somehow feel attracted to the girl who has makeup & for example (taking the example of lust, leave love) I don't really enjoy sex, or even making out when she has makeup on, ya that natural kinda makeup is fine in these situations (lust), where it's very minimal. So basically it's for some reason maybe attractive at first glance, but haven't really encountered anywhere where it stays more than that.

(I took in account ur note, but just said this in case that maybe many other man who say they don't like make-up think/feel like this, cause I don't know, cause I haven't really thought/discussed about it)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 284

• I think when guys say "we prefer girls without makeup", we really mean "we hope you still look good even without any makeup on". It's not that we find makeup to be ugly, it's just we find it to be fake. Thus the "trust issues" thing you talked about. If you look pretty with makeup on, we won't really know if you actually are pretty.

2|4
    0|0
  • Some makeups fine. But the girl on the right is too much, i dont like caked on makeup or unnatural looking makeup. Usually girls who put on that much like the girl on the right, end up looking like the girl on the left without it... makeup does that to yalls face.. think about it. If they sell you make up to cover up pimples, wouldn't it be a smart marketing move to have the make up make you break out more to buy more make up?

4|2
    0|0
    • Exactly!

• Right? Its a horrible scam. I actually have advice for you girls to try this. Keep a bunch of wet whipes in the fridge, use a cold wet whipe before you put on make up, and then take off make up with what ever, use hot water to clean out the pores, then use the cold whipes again to close the pores before you go to bed. Do this for 3 weeks straight and your face won't break out from makeup any more.

• The pictures you have chosen are very one sided.

Equally, the reason women look 'ill' is because they Constantly wear make-up, do you honestly think that it isn't going to damage your skin clogging it up with crap all the time?

2|1
    0|0
    • Not everyone uses foundation, I just took those pics off Google.

• Most people that wear make-up do. And then the pictures you picked from Google are very one-sided.
      Some of those pictures aren't a before and after shot.

Make-up hides imperfections. Imperfections make each person differently human.

• They were pics that had with makeup and without makeup so I just chose those

• Acne is really not fair to get involved in this example. When the acne is gone she will be pretty and the last one from selena is even worse of an example because this was here after 4 concerts that week and in the evening

0|2
    0|0
    • Acne makes her ugly? This is why I chose that pic because I still see her as pretty even with the acne. Last pic isn't Selena

• Show All
    • WOOTT? Omg i feel kind of embarrassed right now, sorry

• I thought it was Selena at first too

• The reason I'd say I don't like it, is because it deceptive. That first picture is a great example of that. I'm an older male now so the makeup use and why it's being used is probably one of the first things I look at. But in my younger days, I have woke up next to some women only to realize it was a bit more than my beer goggles that's fooled me. Imagine my young teenage shock when I first found out my girlfriend doesn't have eyebrows until she draws them on.

Makeup worn to accentuate on the other hand just looks cool, like eyeshadow (or it might be called eyeliner [both maybe]). Dudes wear it a lot in performance art, like being the guitarist for a band or a pirate in a movie. It gives chicks an edge... and did I say it looks cool? On a chick it makes my dick hard.

Makeup worn to deceive on the other hand... uuuuggghhh. I'm just glad it doesn't fool me anymore, and feel like a fool for the times I was fooled. There's a reason lighting isn't great and alcohol is served in clubs... just saying. When I run into 'deceptive' use of makeup... like that oily looking powder they put on their face to cover up their excessive drug use or chocolate/soda indulgence (i. e. your first example picture), I get a vibe from it. Fake. Manipulative. Deceptive.

To sum it up essentuative makeup is so hawt, but deceptive makeup... I call it fakeup for a reason. Take the last example picture for instance... she's actually kinda hawter without the makeup. That girl obviously partied a bit and probably didn't sleep well, but she'd get the business.

1|0
    0|0
  • Guys prefer women without makeup just like girls like guys who never lie ("Do these pants make my butt look big?") It is something that we say because it makes us sound like we are so much more "real" than the the other guys.

Some women are more attractive without makeup. But the absence of makeup does not make a girl go from beautiful to ugly. I have never woken up the next morning and cringed when I looked at my partner sans makeup.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well as you can see , imagine the guy going out with lets say the first image girl and he didn't know her or went with her on a blind date and she looked pretty ( the one with makeup ) but later when they get to know each other better or even get married when he sees her without make up it's like a different person that's why they say we have trust issues or don't trust girls now a days , there's a huge difference between the 2 girls , but there's something , when a guy say with no makeup he means he probably doesn't like you dipping your face in your makeups , may be a little make up wouldn't hurt , l mean like to hide a little something ( like in the second photo ) but only to hide what's under her eyes nothing more if you know what i mean , but actually some girls look prettier without makeup , i keep telling my sister so as she looks pretty without makeup and i say she doesn't need any ( but she's married and he husband doesn't mind so am really happy for them :D ) so yeah , if i see a very pretty girl with tons of makeup and then see that she was only with makeup this will shock me and may cause a lot of problems between me and her and you can't compare the last two photos with each other due to different hair style and cloth and camera angle , some makeup wouldn't hurt , but just don't completely change how you look , like the second photo just hide some things like the black under her eyes but nothing more i think she looks good if only she hides this little black

1|0
    1|1
  • Makeup obviously makes a woman look more attractive. That is what gets guys to take notice and approach a woman. However, on a day-to-day basis as a girlfriend, guys would rather deal with a woman with no makeup.

The reason is that if a guy dates a girl who uses tons of makeup, they end up waiting for a very long time for the girl to get ready to go out every day. We also lose all out bathroom space (all her makeup shit is everywhere). And the makeup gets all over our stuff.

0|0
    0|0
  • Makeup has to enhance the features, not be the features. It's when there is a massive difference between the made up faced and the real face that you get those types of comments.

We are all attracted to someone who puts in a bit of effort to look good, because they often feel good and confident about how they look because they put in that effort. We're more attracted to that confidence than anything else.

1|0
    0|0
  • You should be ashamed of yourself for that first pic. The poor girl has a terrible case of acne, and you ask if she looks better with make-up? And what's that... Mila Kunis after a two day drunk?

1|0
    0|0
    • I don't know just took the pics off Google that had with and without makeup together. I didn't want to do a full analysis on what pics to use. Plus I had acne that bad in high school, people made fun of me but when I put on makeup I was treated so nicely so it just gets me wondering.

• Not much to wonder about, is there?

• Yeah there is because if they say they like girls without makeup because it shows confidence and all then why become extra nice and kneel at the feet of girls with makeup on and basically ignore those without.

• These aren't really fair comparison. The first girm has a serious skin condition and all those actresses are always tired af when they're not doing a public appearance.

0|0
    1|0
    • I just searched online to what I think represents friends that I have and myself as well as other girls without posting actual personal pics. Teens have acne and some are as bad as that, my acne used to be similar to that 1st girl. A lot of girls look tired without makeup, ofc people never really look as bad as candid pics make them to look.

• didn't you have skin problem when you were a teen? Lucky you if you didn't have any

• Lmfao!!! Such a dramatic comparison... You know that makeup gives you acne? I stopped using any kind of products on my face including soap and it all went away!

1|0
    0|0
    • Make up doesn't cause acne. It can certainly block your pores and worsen your acne but if you use quality products and cleanse properly, it doesn't. Acne is genetic. Some people can have a very healthy looking skin despite caking on make up and some have the worst acne despite never having used any make up. I had horrible acne in high school even though I hadn't used any make up on my skin. Now that I do use make up, my acne is way better.

• Show All
    • No it's genetics. Buddy you gotta shut up or get empirical facts to what you're saying before you make yourself look dumb. My fingernails are much stronger than average because it's genetics, nothing to do with how much I put or don't put chemicals on it.

• If I linked you facts would yo even read them? People just like to argue because they want to be right or feel superior. The answers are out there and I'm not going to force you to look at them.

• I'm a guy, and I prefer girls with no make up (natrual beauty).
    Some girls probably don't even need to use make up at all.
    And if she had spots/acne, it will soon go away if it's looked after and treated with cream properly.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think that there should be a "too much make-up" category here as well but it all comes down to personal preference. I know women who don't wear make-up and look absolutely gorgeous and there are women I've seen who wear way too much make-up and I find they look way too fake and as if they are trying to get the airbrushed magazine cover look. In the end, it comes down to how the woman wants to do her make-up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Concerning the first photo, how would a guy react going to bed with the one on the right and waking up with the one on the left. The thought reminds me of Jack Nicholson on "The Shining" with the woman ghost in the bathroom horror scene. If a woman needs that much war paint to look attractive then I prefer not only, no make-up, but also no woman.

0|0
    0|0
  • Girls that don't wear makeup are sincere, confident in themselves, loveable, and simple. Women should wear makeup if it is part of their job and or to be presentable at events. Acne and rough skin along with scars do require attention for health reasons, but putting on makeup for the hell of it or to attract others when it is not part of your job or an event I can't understand.

2|0
    1|0
  • I think that girls need to stop being fake, I think that girls need to stop taking hours to get ready. Get a hobby where you use your brain and your hands. And stop worrying about your weight.

Workout/be active, shower, hobby, work

0|3
    2|0
    • It's not being fake... Using make up is a skill. And it needs brain. Not everyone can put makeup correctly and having make up skill can get you money if you're serious in it.

• @NomNom16 I never said it didn't take skill, but in the end you are doing a disservice to yourselves

• Well it depends. If its for a one night stand or perhaps just occaiosnal hookups then how a girl looks without makeup isn't usually important.
    But if you aren't attracted to a girl you're either in a relationship or want to be, then whats the point? Most of the time she probably isn't going to be wearing makeup

0|0
    0|0
  • Its good and healthy to care yourself and your image but when you sleep with someone you will wake up without make up with him and then as a man you want to see the morning beauty of a happy girl/woman... and sometimes we want to imagine this face bedore it happens later to steal the fantasy

0|0
    0|0
  • How about this question.. why do girls wear makeup period? Don't they wanna be seen in natural form all the time? I already can tell girls who don't do makeup are the girls that are always more stress-free and have themselves a real man. Girls that cake their face with makeup just screams: "am I pretty enough now?"

0|1
    0|0
    • Many girls (not all of them) wear make up, among other accessories and products, because they want to artificially appear having better genetics. Thus, alluring better males. That's of course an unfair trade, because they demand from their male counterparts to be biologically an 8 for example, when they are actually a plain 5 themselves. They do the same with other artificial boosts. A girl who is 160cm wears heels and becomes temporary 170cm, so she says I want my man to be 180cm tall because I wear heels... Forgetting the fact that she is really 160cm and she doesn't have the genetics of a woman who is naturally 170cm, she demands from a man to be naturally tall though. Again, not all women do that, but those who judge people so unfairly, just because society is tolerant towards them changing their appearance on the spot, are to be avoided like the plague. Judging others for their real traits, from a position of artificial "empowerment" is an indication of bad personality.

• Not reading that

• why? do you feel it's untrue?

• More from Guys

What Girls Said 72

• japanese men like with makeup but only heavy on eye makeup

0|1
    0|0
  • When they perform scientific study of it, men DO respond favorably to accented eyes, younger, healthier looking skin, and color on the lips. A lot of times they don't realize that they are responding favorably to make-up if the make-up is subtle enough.

3|0
    0|0
  • Men have no fucking clue what "no makeup" looks like. They'll literally post a picture of a celebrity with the caption "x looks so much prettier without makeup but maybe I'm weird" while she's clearly wearing foundation, blush, mascara, eyeshadow, and nude lipstick at the very least.

4|0
    0|0
  • Honestly I think some men feel like it's a bait and switch kinda thing. They go to bed with one girl and wonder what the hell happened to the girl they slept with when they wake up. I try to keep myself pretty au natural so that I'm not pulling a bait and switch. I wear lipstick and that's about it, rarely mascara.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think a lot of guys just have no real idea what the average woman looks like without a drop of makeup, so they think the "no makeup makeup look" is bare-faced and it's pretty. I can't speak for men but I think that may be part of it.

3|0
    0|0
  • Okay okay okay.

Often make like the 2nd make up look because they don’t even realise there is make up. But there are two issues with this question.

1. That first picture is completely unfair to both genders. She clearly has a skin problem that she’s probably insecure on some level and is covering for her own sanity, not just attracting men. Also, it’s like posting this: http://i.imgur.com/H3C3Ixu.jpg
    And expecting everyone to choose the man on the left.

2. There is a difference between putting make up on and using a spade for it. Most men don’t mind make up that’s been applied properly (not saying correctly). There are many styles and most men don’t mind a bit of powder and a bit of masacara. They do mind this:

https://data.whicdn.com/images/97272384/large.jpg

Make up is supposed to enhance features, that’s its whole function. And then women get pissy that men liked that it enhanced their features and complain when men say they don’t like make up. Most don’t like BAD make up.

0|0
    0|0
    • I decided on the first pic because she has a skin condition but she still looks very pretty in my opinion. This is where I wanted to really see whether people see acne/skin conditions as automatically ugly and to be fair, most people do see her as ugly without makeup covering her skin.

• I don’t see her as ugly but I do see it as an insecurity and something she probably would want to cover.

I think the after look for her is OTT personally.

• Correction: they prefer girls who still look hot without makeup to not wear makeup lol.

8|6
    0|0
  • From what I can tell, when guys say they like a ”natural” girl, they mean girls with natural looking makeup that just enhances the beauty they already have and only hides small imperfections.
    Has been proven by the fact that guys have asked me before if I’m sick or if I got any sleep just because I’m not wearing any makeup. But when I do wear (natural looking) makeup, they’ve told me I look pretty/cute/beautiful.

1|1
    0|0
    • Why do you think it's called fake advertisement!

First of all if you looks like you are sick not been sleeping enough it is because of that. the body looks like shitt when you treat it like shitt with a shitty life style, no matter the excuses or attitude.
      The whole you have needs, if those needs don't get profiled you get reaction just like a engine if you give it shitty fuel or lubrication it will deteriorate (age faster).

• @crazy8000 lol calm down. I just have very pale skin which means my veins are very prominent, especially under my eyes where the skin is very thin. The people around me are just not used to seeing it because I hide it with makeup, so when they do see it, they think I'm sick and I haven't been sleeping enough, even if I'm totally fine and got nine hours of sleep.

• You know not every girl has skin that looks like the one on the right. Outside makeup my skin looks the same I don't use foundation. I only highlight my eyes because I want too and don't care if men don't like that. I live for myself not anyone else. I will do as I please and if that makes me ugly them so be it. I do love red lipstick though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I couldn't care less about what guys think. I think I'm cute either way.

Nowadays there isn't really such thing as "natural beauty", I mean guys go to gyms to not look scrawny and have abs and alter their styles. So I find it pretty ironic and funny when a guy brings a girl down for what she's doing when he does all of that shit

2|0
    1|1
  • Men don’t really understand much about make up. I think they just like a natural look because they don’t understand women are more prone to eye circles and break out at least once a month. Also they are just afraid of being deceived because as pictured above the girl probably wouldn’t be considered even remotely pretty until she covered her skin.

3|0
    0|0
    • When a guy says ‘no makeup’ he means minimal or very natural looking... & that when he wakes up to her he does not want to be shocked or feel like a stranger snuck into his bed.

But he does not mean you can’t cover minor stuff... MINOR. Lol

• Show All
    • You’re playing victim but it won’t fly. I have too much respect for women to believe you, especially a master level, don’t know how the site/app work.

• @hahahmm why should women care about what men like?

• I think guys prefer girls with natural make-up, one that accentuate the features. Not one that is over the top, with extreme reds and blues and greens, like a clown. Personally, I have pale skin undertone which makes me look sickly. Make-up definitely helps to make me look better in that sense.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wear makeup for YOURSELF and not to impress anyone especially some dude bro who doesn’t understand the first thing about makeup or the time it takes to feel confident and look good.

3|0
    0|0
  • I have a few acne scars on my face and i walked into a retail store where there were cute guys working. I was literally only wearing yoga pants and a long sleeve white t shirt. I swear that was the most times I’ve gotten a have a great day and guys making small conversations with me. Then i do when I’m wearing makeup. It’s sooo weird

0|0
    0|0
  • Foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, eye liner, blush and lipstick I personally don't see a need for, but hey if that's what you like than go for it. I will say tho that a tinted moisturiser and a good lip balm has never failed me. Keep it light and natural is the key ladies!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think heavy makeup is always noticeable in real life (as in the first picture) and that's not attractive for most and I think most guys can live with a little undereye bag when the girl takes her mild makeup off (like the second girl), so I think there's not really a problem.
    For the guys who say they prefer no makeup are just saying that they like to see the girl who she really is and mild makeup still shows that. So in the end it really doesn't matter.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well they sure looks nice with make up but its fake
    I would feel weird if my boyfriend wear make up or have fake stuff on himself to look better, no, I want my guy natural, I some feel guys feel the same way about girls

1|0
    0|0
  • I wear make up because I used to have really bad acne, and I think the problem is, is that some girls wear a shit ton of make up that just looks awful and makes them look fake and that’s when guys say, “this is why I have trust issues.” However I rarely wear make up and it depends on what I’m doing or where I’m going but sometimes I’ll wear a little more or I’ll wear just some eye shadow, foundation, and mascara.

I’ve been told multiple times I look better without make up but I don’t think so.

1|0
    1|0
  • There is a saying from a book i read.
    "Men fall for what they see, Women fall for what they hear"
    It's either love at first sight or friend at first sight.

0|0
    0|0
  • I found that when I stopped using makeup my face cleared up.

1|2
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes