Forever Alone Cooking Tips

The majority of cookbooks you will find on a shelf are filled with recipes....for a family of four. It's like cookbooks don't even recognize that anyone could possibly live by themselves for a spell or be 'forever alone' by choice or circumstance, or that single people do in fact also love to cook or want to cook from time to time. Just because you live alone, doesn't mean you should just live off take-out and frozen dinners. You just need to be a bit more resourceful so you can avoid a fridge full of rotting leftovers.

Forever Alone Cooking Tips

1. Use your bulk wisely

Inevitably you may end up with extras of most items because you're cooking for one. When you buy packages of meat, some do come in half sizes, but even those can be a lot, so as soon as you get the meat home, divide it up, and put what you're going to use immediately for the week in the fridge and freeze the rest.

Conversely, you can benefit from freezer cooking. You can make roughly 6-8 burger patties out of a pound of meat depending on thickness and size, and simply freeze the extra patties for a fast meal in the future, or when you make a pot of spaghetti, with a pound of meat, take out enough for the night and maybe some for lunch the next day, and then simply freeze the leftover sauce in individual size bags or containers for later.

2. Go for frozen veg

Forever Alone Cooking Tips

Vegetables are often the first things to go to waste because they don't tend to last very long even in the fridge, so if you cook infrequently, or you are tired of the waste, buy your vegetables for soups, stews, and stir fry frozen and use as needed, and chuck the rest in the freezer until you need them for another meal.

3. Visit your local meat or farmers market or bakery

Avoid giant supermarket portions by visiting these markets. You can order much smaller sizes of what you need and not have a bunch of stuff lying around that you can't use.

4. Make the appetizers

Forever Alone Cooking Tips

Appetizers and tappas are meant to be smaller tastes or bites. You can get creative with trying different small bites for a full meal without having to make 10 portions of one just one dish.

5. Get a Solo Cookbook

The recipes in these books are geared so that you won't have a pile of leftovers when you are done. If you don't want to buy, see if you can check them out at your local library or view digitally online.

Cooking for One Cookbook for Beginners: The Ultimate Recipe Cookbook for Cooking for One!
by Claire Daniels

The Single Guy Cookbook: How to Cook Comfort Food Favorites Faster, Easier and Cheaper than Going Out
by Avi Shemtov

Cooking for One: A Seasonal Guide to the Pleasure of Preparing Delicious Meals for Yourself
by The Culinary Institute of America and Mark Erickson

Forever Alone Cooking Tips

Going Solo in the Kitchen: A Practical and Persuasive Cookbook for Anyone Living Alone-with More Than 350 Easy, Delicious Recipes and Strategies for Food Shopping, Storing, and Recycling
by Jane Doerfer

175 Best Small-Batch Baking Recipes: Treats for 1 or 2
by Jill Snider

Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook
by Joe Yonan

88
BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• ... Cook in bulk & freeze your leftovers , used to do that regularly , lived totally solo for many years , now a solo parent... with a fussy eater daughter !! The single / stay single population is ever increasing.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm going to have to check out the cooking for one books. I didn't know they existed

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 7

• Good stuff. I pretty much do the same but sometimes wonder if keeping food frozen instead of eating it while it's still fresh can cause harm. I mean, if I freeze a piece of meat for 10 years, no way can it still be good as new. I'm exaggerating, but you get what I mean. So I try to limit the amount and time I freeze food.

• I think that's more on the common sense side that you don't keep or eat frozen food that's been frozen that long. Most freezers, come with manuals that indicate how long frozen food is actually good for, and many will contain a sticker on the inside or out of the freezer with time limits for frozen food stuff in case you don't read the manual. The only food that can be safety eaten that long on, is usually the freeze dried variety found in like military or camping MRE's.

• Great tips! I could certainly improve my cooking now 😎👍

Now I need to buy a freezer to store the vegetables. I usually buy them fresh from the stands in the market and they last 3-4 days if not consumed soon. Any tips for storing fresh vegetables when I have only a fridge without a freezer?
    I mean I could pack 4 tomatoes, 4 sweet-peppers, 10 onions and potatoes (they can last long enough), 500g radish and that will last for 3-4 days for me until they start to rot and turn inedible.

• Ahh okay.

Looks like you had a birthday recently (if yr age is correct here). Or at least I think you were listed as 21 a week or two ago.
      If so, then, happy bday lol

• @redeyemindtricks Funny. Just a few minutes ago another lady (lizziepooh) wished me happy birthday but my birthday was in the last year.
      My next birthday is coming in a few months.

• Thanks for sharing!

• Nice tips :P

• pizza fo life.

• Cook simple stuf in bulk you can reheat

• Great take and tips!

What Girls Said 7

• thanks for the nice tips but i would still prefer to go for fresh vegetables from the local market which sell food at a much cheaper price than the supermarket. also the market has fresh fruits and vegetables

• many YouTube cooking channels also feature recipes that are for 1-2 people only

• I need this, lol thanks :)

• I'll remember this when I'm living on my own

• good take

• I prefer fresh ones instead of frozen

• Very interesting !