Hitting CTRL+Z on Closed Questions

DiogoRibeiro
Hitting CTRL+Z on Closed Questions

As part of an effort to make GirlsAskGuys even more valuable for our community, we introduced the ability to close a question a while ago.

The rationale behind Closed Questions was that you could close a question once you were satisfied with the opinions, allowing us to give space to new questions that needed attention. Ultimately, the idea was to balance supply and demand between questions and the most valuable thing our great community produces: opinions.

But, when we poured over the data from the past few months, it became clear that the number of opinions isn't necessarily related to the amount of questions asked. A social network is something wonderful and complex because people too are wonderful and complex.

This is why we decided to stop closing questions automatically. Askers will still be able to do it if they feel they got the help and opinions they needed for their questions, of course. On top of that, we have reopened all the questions automatically closed so you can take full control of the content you created.

Last but not least, we have reverted back to the daily asking limits for creating questions. Please check this updated FAQ entry to learn more.

Hitting CTRL+Z on Closed Questions
7
19

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• CheerGirl38139
    Is this still revelant?
    • Please fix it so that people can't send invitations to questions that are 6 months old...

• Yumix

it would be also nice if they don't hide the age of questions on those that are older than 7 days -_-

a 10 day old question the QA probably still cares about, a 2 year old one most likely not. If it's an anon then I can't even see if the person is still active... waste of time.

if they wanna hide the date on older questions, put the limit on 30 or 60 days but no 7 <_<

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

618
  • dangerDoge
    • dangerDoge

Hey, I'm noticing a bit of a bug. Now "recommended questions" after answering a question seem to be from many different times (6 years ago, 10 months ago, etc.)

• ^ Yeah me too

• @YourFutureEx @dangerDoge Thanks for reporting that, guys. We'll take a look into it.

• Hans222
    Thanks for sharing the rationale and some evaluations on the closing questions change. My experience learns that hardly any opinion (comments) come in after the first week a question is live.
    So closing a question automatically after 7 days would probably only have a minor influence on the number of posts.
  • madhatters4
    i like this change
  • jp612612
    YES! I can finally answer that "Star Trek" question that closed six months ago with no opinions. It used to tease me every day knowing I wanted to answer it but couldn't. The thing is, now I can't find it.
  • YourFutureEx
    Thanks Diogo and other devs :)

Now hit the ctrl+z on private opinion too because they don't make sense right now. They're nothing but facsimiled private messages. We cannot even choose them as MHO. And people like me feel uncomfortable in 'messaging' someone or replying to such messages. They often go out of the topic (while on questions, people are more inclined to stay on the original topic).
  • Falling4UTC
    I kind of want an option of permanently deleting questions from the site. I know there's at the very least ten questions I wish I could delete and have them gone from gag forever
    • blondfrog

there already is

• @blondfrog what? How? I know you can close a question and have it be anonymous but can you take it off the site permanently?

• blondfrog

you go to the 3 cirlces things that go down vertically right beside the time of the question posted. You press that button and hit delete.

• Yumix
    didn't see that one coming... oh, wait! I literally said that once you look at your data, you'll go back shortly after you introduced it lmao

it pissed everyone off, didn't do what you want and was especially at the beginning poorly implemented. I'm glad it's gone.
  • menina
    It's good to know that now our questions can remain open for more time. I didn't like the idea of having to close my questions, when I didn't have enough answers.
    Good job!
  • Girly1710
    Frickin finally. Can't believe it took this long 🙄
  • sovetskii13
    I am very happy about this change. This will make GirlsAskGuys more helpful and enjoyable.
    Thank you.
  • ΉOMO_乇尺乇CTU丂
    lol after reading the titles, am i the only dumb one who hit ctrl+z expecting something cool to happen? Please say no im dumb 2
    • jp612612

I admit, I did several times. I thought that they had done some sort of cool Javascript programming to capture the Ctrl+Z and bring up the feature.

• BubbleQueen
    Awesome! This will help me find quality opinions on my questions! :)
  • Raymond_Reddington
    About fucking time. Now give us the ability to like and dislike opinion comments!
  • scooogy
    And what about the "Most helpful opinions" chosen in automatically closed questions? Are these undone as well?
  • TripleAce
    Awesome, as long as the data supports it why not
    Sounds great. Two thumbs up
  • CyberToothTiger
    Thank you ! Glad GAG made this change and or update.
  • pooper89
    It doesn't take analysis to know this.
  • dogbert444
    Nice one!! Thanks!!
  • Anpu23
    Sounds good!
  • Bandit74
    I approve!
    Great job (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
  • John_Doesnt
    This seems helpful.
  • Maxemeister
    ALL HAIL THE GAG LORD DIOGO
  • legalboxers
    WOOT!!!
  • Anonymous
    Thanks, but I think it would be more useful if we could now bump our old questions.

A few of mine were closed when I didn't get many answers, which I guessed could be that not many people saw them, as it seems to depend what time you ask sometimes.