Important Things To Know About Hair!

Hey everyone! So, I just wanted to talk about some important things you may want to know about your hair! I have been natural for almost 3 years and trust me, I know the struggle of getting started when you have no idea what to do first. I know that it's extremely tempting to want to try EVERYTHING like a kid at a candy store. But unfortunately, that's not how our hair works. Everyone has different hair necessities. But I think that knowing the basic characteristics of your hair is the most important step prior to getting started so that you can understand what allows your hair to thrive! So, I will divide this Mytake into 3 sections: Hair Type, Hair Density & Thickness, and Hair Porosity.

HAIR TYPE:

Hair type chart
Hair type chart

This chart helps you to determine your hair texture. Keep in mind that this chart cannot help you determine what products you should use on your hair but it can give you an idea of ways you can style your hair.

1a hair tends to be soft, shiny, oily, poor at holding curls but difficult to damage.

1b hair is characterized by body and volume

1c hair tends to be bone-straight and difficult to curl.

2a hair has definite "S" pattern and is usually receptive to a variety of styles.

2b hair can tend to be frizzy and a little resistant to styling.

2c hair is frizzy with thicker waves; often more resistant to styling.

3a hair is curly hair that usually presents a definite "S" pattern and tends to combine thickness, fullness, body, and/or frizziness.

3b hair is curly and is as 3a but with curly like a spiral.

3c hair is curly with coils. It has well-defined tight coils with a lot of strands densely packed together.

4a kinky hair tends to be very fragile, tightly coiled can feature curly patterning.

4b hair is kinky and as 4a but with less visible curly patterning.

4c hair is as 4a and 4b hair but with almost no defined curly pattern.

Your hair can have a mixture of different hair textures. In fact, that is very common. I have a mixture of 3c and 4a hair!

Hair Density & Thickness

First 3 is density and the last 3 pertains to thickness

Hair density pretty much refers to how much hair is on your head. One way you can find out your hair density is by pulling your hair to the side and seeing how much of your scalp you can see through your hair. If you can't see any of your scalp, your hair density is thick. If you can see a lot of your scalp, your hair density is thin, and if you see a little bit of your scalp your hair density is medium.

If you were take a single strand of your hair, you may notice that your hair may feel like a very thin line, medium, or coarse. One simple way to find out your hair thickness is by taking a single strand of hair between your fingers and continuously rub it. If the strand feels like nothing between your fingers, it is possible that you have thin hair. If the strand feels like something between your fingers but if your were to take your mind off of it, you may forget it's there then your hair is medium in thickness. If you can clearly feel your hair strand and its difficult to not notice it as it's rubbing through your fingers, then you have thick hair.

The reason why knowing your hair density and thickness is important is because it helps you to figure out how gentle you need to be with your hair. If your hair is very thin, it is better to use light hands when handling your hair because you have less hair to lose.

Hair Porosity

Hair porosity chart
Hair porosity chart

Hair porosity is one of my favorite topics when dealing with hair because in my honest opinion, it is the most important thing to know about your hair. Understanding your hair porosity opens up your understanding and can change your life! My household is full of ladies and not every product works the same for each of our heads. I have high porosity hair, my younger sister has low porosity hair, and my older sister has medium hair porosity. So we have to all use different products. So lets get into the differences between these porosity types!

A simple way to find your hair porosity is by taking a cup of room temperature water and a strand of your hair. Make sure your hair is freshly washed with zero products on it because it may alter your results. If your hair falls to the bottom of the cup, you have high porosity. If your hair floats in the middle, you have medium hair porosity. If your hair stays at the top of the water, you have low hair porosity.

Low Porosity Hair

Hair does not easily allow moisture in or out. Strands have a tightly bound cuticle layer with overlapping scales and hair is more prone to product buildup. Hair may feel dry.

Tips:

- Limit protein products and heavy oils and butters which can cause build-up.

- Use warm water when washing hair to open cuticles.

- Use clarifying shampoo to help remove build-up.

- Use light, water-based products like light oils.

--Before moisturizing hair, use heat (such as a heating cap) to help open up cuticles.

Medium Porosity Hair

Hair allows the right amount of moisture in and out. This hair porosity needs the least amount of maintenance, holds styles better and usually doesn't suffer from dryness.

High Porosity Hair

Hair is usually damaged by chemicals like color, heat, or relaxers. Cuticle has gaps that make it easy to receive moisture but loses the moisture just as easy. Hair is more prone to frizz and usually does better with heavier products like.

Tips:

-Incorporate regular protein treatments in regimen.

- Do protective styles such as buns, braids, and twists with your own hair to help close cuticles and lock in moisture.

- Use heavier products like heavy oils, cream, and butters.

- Always wet hair with liquid (preferably water or aloe vera juice/gel) before applying moisturizer

-ALWAYS seal your hair. You can do this by using LOC method which is :liquid, oil, cream. There are other ways to seal but that is one of the most popular ways.

I hope this Mytake was beneficial for you! I will be doing a protein treatment using rice water for my hair. I was thinking about doing a mytake of my experience with pictures and advice after a couple of months of doing it. If you are interested in me doing a mytake like that, please let me know so I can remember to take pictures of everything :)

2018

Most Helpful Girls

• This was really fun to read! I'm kind of obsessive about my hair products just because I'm the only one on either side of my family with my hair type, or anything even remotely close to it, so no one in my family knew how to manage my hair, and by the time I started doing it myself, it was pretty much dead. It took forever to make it healthy again, mostly because the dead parts are all cut off now, and now I'm kind of nutty about maintaining my hair. I didn't know how to test for hair porosity though. I knew mine, because I had checked with professionals, and because I know which kinds of products worked for me, but didn't know that there was an easier way to test it.

• I'm so glad you enjoyed my Mytake! And I'm happy that you understand your hair! It's so important. I didn't know anything about my hair either so I'm just now really understanding what my hair needs and i just felt lead to make a Mytake on it because this stuff can change people's lives you know lol😂

• This was a really good take- thank you ma'am!
    I've been natural about...5-6 years now? No chemicals or perms anymore and I love it! I mostly get my hair twisted or curled since that's easy to take care of and wash.

Texture wise my hair definitely falls between the 3 to 4 range for sure.

• Thanks!! And that's good☺ I'm glad u like ur natural hair! I'm still working with mines😆 do u think i should do a mytake on my rice water experience? I'm planning on using rice water on my hair maybe once or twice a month

• I just that hair test and apparently my hair is low porosity- which makes sense because my hair does NOT hold moisture very well and tends to be dry if I don't keep it moisturized regularly. Outside of my conditioning products I use to twist my hair, I really only using coconut or tea tree oil on it, along with grease on my scalp (mostly because I don't like putting too much on my hair to gunk it up)

• Yea ur doing it right. Low porosity hair works best with light oils☺ my sister has low porosity 4c hair and when she uses heavy products it just builds up on her hair. But its the opposite for my hair. Another good thing for u to do is when u moisturize, use a shower cap or something sith heat to trap that moisture to help open ur cuticles☺

Most Helpful Guys

• Great my take, so great that I am going to make a PDF of this. So I can save this for offline use.

Now do any tips for 50 year man that just start loosing hair. I have Really thick and Course hair.

I have long hair to about middle of back maybe a bit longer. It all started when tried this new hair system and now it seems my hair is leaving faster than growing.

• Okay i will☺ I am trying a lot of new natural hair growth challenges so if one works then I'll make a Mytake on it!☺

• Well I just home and waiting for water to get to room temp. So far also (because of you) I found out I have wavy 2B, Thick, course Hair. Now just trying to find out my hair porosity? Now I have to learn the next step

• So when the water gets room temp, take a strand of ur hair and let it sit in the water for about 5 minutes. The rest of the details are in the Porosity section of the mytake😊 im so glad that this mytake has helped u!!

• Wow! I never knew girls had to do so much to grow their hair. Glad I'm a guy

Join the discussion

1816
  • Love the take! I got a ton of thick-ass curly hair. Sadly i have a few short gray strands by my face caused by stress but im gonna let it grow out. My hair i usually keep pretty long, like to the middle of my back.

• dang this was educational and helpful. never thought i'd see this on gag. on google yes. not on gag. see, my hair used to be thick. i could never see my scalp. now i have no trouble seeing it. Sob.

• There are ways to fix rhat if u want thicker hair! Just find out what ur hair porosity is and it'll help you figure out what products you should use on your hair. Right now I am trying to get my hair to be longer and thicker and im using rice water. I just started so I don't have much to say about it yet except that it made my hair VERY soft and it didn't shed that much. But I am planning on doing a Mytake on my experience after a couple of months of using it.

• cool. i want to follow you so i can see how it turns out for you. and rice water? dang, i need to try it. anything to minimize shedding after a shower.

• Okay i accepted ur follow request🙂 thanks!! And rice water is a protein treatment good for high porosity hair so make sure u do a lot of research on it before you do it😊 Have a wonderful night/day

• Very informative! Thank you. I didn’t know you could test your hair porosity that way and never thought to test mine. I’d love to see the tutorial!

• Yes!! Someone who is not completely ignorant when it comes to advice on hair!!!
    Great job girl ☺️

• this is great :) i have 3b hair so seeing things like this really help

• Fact no. 1 is that it doesn't grow on dolls' heads 😂

• Thanks, I have learned quite a bit about my hair, specifically what works!

• You're welcome! Thanks for taking the time to read my Mytake. I'm honestly surprised so many people read it lol wasn't expecting it

• Thanks soo much!🙂🙂 I'm so happy it helped

• And by the way your hair is beautiful😊😊

• I could already tell you my hairs wavy-curly lol don’t need a chart for that.

• My hair is wavy (the really loose wave type), medium ( I think? I'm actually not sure), thick with high porosity.

• Important Thing To Know About Hair:

The longer they are, the better it is.

• Some people like their hair short and it can be just as healthy as someone with long or medium length hair.

• " Lead us not in to temptation, but deliver us from evil "

• What does this have to do with anything😂

• Maybe that you had way too much free time in your hands to search the information and post this long post.

• Maybe I do, maybe I don't. Guess you'll never know🤷🏾😂😂

• So I got
    Type 2b/3a
    Course
    Medium

They're all ok but I don't like my hair being course that's all. I wish my follicles can change.

• My hair was grey when i was 21 it's never stoped growing I have to have it cut every 5 weeks

• Very interesting and informative.

• You just took me to college👍❤️

• This is very informative!

• Great post will revisit to read again

• Good take - very informative and insightful

• Great take hun.

• Very interesting information❄️

• My hair is straight and I would say medium thick.

• Do you know your hair porosity

• Okay that's good☺ honestly, not everyone's hair id the ssme so do exactly what u feel is good for ur hair. Ecspecially if u see improvement from it. But one thing i will say is that if u are low porosity then try and stay away from hair products that contain protein in it

• Ok I will. Thank you. 😀

• very interesting take on hair, thanks for sharing

• Good take

• My hair is 3b-3c nice myTake!

• Interesting. :)
    I love long wavy hair!

• Its a great to read your take

• Thank you

• Noice 😘

• informative snd interesting

• Very informative take. Thank you!

• 11h

lot to know. lol