Coronoavirus facts

Twalli

There is a belief that a face mask is ineffective against the coronavirus, that is a lie. It is true that it is ineffective against the airborne virus. Yet there is another way the virus can be spread, and thus another way to get it. If you touch an infected surface and then touch a mucous membrane on your face, you will also get the virus. There are only a few on your face (people touch their face more often that they realize). These are the eye, nose (nostrils), and mouth. If you touch these with infected hands you can also get infected. How do you prevent touching these. Glasses make it less likely you will touch your eyes. A mask (like the one pictured below) that covers your nose and mouth protects you from touching those two mucous membranes too. Therefore even if you forget to use hand sanitizer (second picture) you can still mostly prevent getting the virus that isn't airborne.

All information is gathered from a practicing doctor.

Wear this in public
Wear this in public
Use this often
Use this often

STAY SMART

STAY SAFE

Coronoavirus facts
4
8

Most Helpful Guy

• dthomas89
    face masks, will HELP, but, ultimately, will not PREVENT it
    Is this still revelant?
    • Twalli

Hence why people should not forego the mask, which some people are.

• dthomas89

Chances are, you won't get the virus. Yes, it's killed a few people here in the u. s. already but, you're more likely to get struck by lightning than you are to get the virus

• Twalli

6 peoplein the US are 6 too many.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

47
  • backdoorman
    In theory, masks should help keep you from touching your mouth and nose, but some studies have shown that in practice people wearing masks may actually touch their face more to adjust the mask, scratch itches and because it gives them a false sense of security.
    • Twalli

Touching your face is okay. It's the nose mouth and eyes that you need to avoid

• reptocarl
    The mask is mostly to prevent you from spreading it to others
    • Twalli

If it's airborne and the mask won't stop you from getting it, it won't stop you from spreading it.

• reptocarl

Yes it will by catching sneezes and coughs

• JyuuKaMoon787
    I carry N95 masks with me be it to hand them to others in need, or for me to wear. I usually wear one whenever I go into public. And be sure to include that the best hand sanitizer to use is those with an alcohol level of 60% or more.
    • Twalli

The mask can be like the ones doctors use iij n surgery. The only reason for it us to stop you touching your nose and mouth.

• The mask you're talking about is not good for something like this. N95 masks that I have are filtered.

• Twalli

The goal of the mask is to stop you touching your nose and mouth. I have both kinds.

• DeeDeeDeVour
    Good point! Face masks & glasses act as deterrents/reminders to make one think twice before touching her or his own face.
  • EmmaMary
    I wouldn't worry about it, according to all the fucking idiotic scaremongering, the world is about to come to a sudden and drastic end.
  • WhereAmI
    I disagree. Most viruses are larger than 3 microns which is what an N95 mask or greater can filter. Surgical masks do nothing.
    • Twalli

I am not saying a N95 mask isn't helpful. It is just not any more helpful than a surgical mask for the coronavirus.

• WhereAmI

I disagree.

• Twalli

You have that right, but you are wrong

• DomTreddo
    If you notice the stats it is more older people than younger people.
    • Twalli

The CDC said anyone old or with preexisting conditions (me) should limit the times they are in public

• user1908
    This virus has been around and is making it's normal cycle through like all others. Is it a pandemic... no! Is it going to kill people yes it is and will. Once it runs it's course though it is going to become dormant again until the next time in it's cycle. We as a society create fear by using to sell the shit pictured above. It is amazing humans survived before this was at the entrance to every store after the cart rack so if you were going to get infected you push the cart to the sanitizer which is further inside than the cart!
    • Twalli

Surgical masks and hand sanitizer shouldn't break your bank.

• user1908

You are correct... I don't use either. Cost nothing! If I catch it, I'll most likely live. People can and do die from illness every day. I'll take my chances.

• Twalli

See, with me I will most likely die. One of the downsides of not having an immune system.

• Creepazoid
    I thought I read carnivorous farts
  • SecretGardenBlood65
    Nice take
  • berkegrey
    Thank you