Women’s Day

#PressforProgress

The British Female Artists Dominating The Music Charts in 2018

You may have already come across these gorgeous and talented women in the music charts recently. They're all doing incredibly well and some are pretty new on the block! They're creating music I can't get enough of and I thought that they deserved some more appreciation! This is also to celebrate women in music and UK artists who are getting noticed world wide.

Mabel McVey

Mabel, although born in Spain, is Swedish-British and currently lives in London. She is the daughter of Neneh Cherry. Her musical career started in 2015 when she released her first album but it seems that 2018 is becoming her year; the song below is currently at number 7 on the UK R&B charts! Her career is only just coming to fruition but I can imagine her music career will be a successful one.

Anne-Marie Rose Nicholson

Anne-Marie was born in Essex and at the age of 26, she won the British Video Of The Year in 2017 for 'Rockabye' and was nominated for 8 other awards. The song below is not only catchy but it's at number 5 in the charts despite being released less than a month ago. Her music career seems to be steadily going up in success. She says that her years of training in karate has helped her success.

Jorja Smith

Jorja, from Walsall, is a fresh face in the music scene and for good reason - she's gorgeous and her voice is stunning. At only 20 years old, she's already worked with Drake and Stormzy - she is on two tracks on Drake's album 'More Life' and her song 'Let Me Down' is sung with Stormzy and it has made it to third position on the UK Indie charts. I have chosen the song below because it demonstrates her effortless singing talent and the beauty of her voice. She also won Brit's Choice Awards this year - congratulations Jorja!

Dua Lipa

Dua Lipa is her actual name (which she says she disliked when she was younger but has grown to love it). Her name means "love" in Albanian. She was born in London in 1995 (22) to Albanian parents and got discovered at age 14 from covering songs and uploading them on Youtube. In 2018 alone, she has already won three awards (all on the same night!) and has won a further nine awards in previous years! Her father is singer and songwriter, Dukagjin Lipa.
IDGAF is currently #3 in the UK charts.

Rita Ora (Sahatçiu)

Rita Sahatçiu was born in Yugoslavia but moved to London when she was one and her career began in 2007 but she was given a breakthrough when DJ Fresh was looking for a female vocalist for his song 'Hot Right Now' in 2011. She also played her hand at acting when she was younger and has had a couple of roles in more recent films, such as Fifty Shades of Grey. The song 'Anywhere' (below) peaked at #2 in the UK charts and she has accumulated 16 awards during her career.

Who's your favourite British female singer?

1938
Hannah591 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Rita ora always looks like she is in need of a good wash.. bargain basement Rihanna

The rest I don’t kno as I’m getting to old to listen to the charts now

• Yeah I don't know what to think of Rita either lol.

Never too old! I don't monitor the charts, I just browse Youtube music and listen to the radio - that's usually how I find new music! :)

• @Levin she might *suck* but she doesn’t look a grub like ora

• Harsh girl, harsh!

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 37

• Jorja smith is from my home town its such a small horrid poor town we are all very proud of her, i can proudly say i had break fast with her one time :)

• All beautiful and talented artists. Nice Mytake on this

• I also have never heard of any of these talented women. I'll introduce their music to my daughter.

Thanks!

• I have only heard of Rita Ora.

No idea who the rest are.

• I think Rita Ora spends a lot of her time in the US so maybe that's why? Mabel and Jorja for example are predominantly in the UK and are just starting out. :) Dua Lipa is now breaking out world wide.

• the first girl and obviously the last one have interesting voices/singing styles and I could agree on them going big.

I feel like the first girl needs better music text and a music producer. likely Trap from a producer like San Holo together with her voice and some meaningful texts would do.

Rita Ora is already on many EDM songs to see so nothing to say here.

you may check out Kerli I really like her voice

• Dua Lipa, Rita Ora, and Charli XCX... if only Charli could just release her new album. :/

• Honstley all these people have bad songs i can only say friends is okay but only in nightcore. But even if i liked them what so important about them been British.

• Garbage!

The only British female artist I like is Lindsay Schoolcraft of Cradle of Filth. And anyone involved with heavy metal and electro-industrial.

• hadn't heard of any, thanks for the new music!

• I've never heard of those singers. If they want to break out they got to come to America they always do

• Rita Ora has broken out years ago in the US. Dua Lipa is getting there and same for Anne-Marie. Jorja and Mabel are fairly new.

• Sorry I never heard of her and I listen to the radio all the time the top new hits and watch the Grammy Awards and she's now where to be found

• No where

• I do not like any of them, nothing more irritating than the British accent.

• The only one I knew was Rita Ora and already read all about her being Albanian, even watched a video where she tried to speak some. The others I never heard of, but no offense I hate most of the British female artists these days. Too much R&B and I really hate the way they try to sing like black women (and I too am black).

I like the girl from the unknown UK group The Silence:
    https://youtu.be/Mt27tmsqJzQ

• I never heard of any of them. I miss good old British rock & roll.

• """""British""""""

• Damn these British female artists are dominating the music charts in 2018

• I like Ellie Goulding.

• I would've added her but she's not currently in the charts/working on much lately.

• The only person on your list I know is Rita Ora but I'm not a fan of hers. Lol

Good Take by the way

• I'm not a big fan of her either. I don't know why, but something doesn't seem right about her?

Thank-you!

• "British".

• Very interesting

• It's all shite to me.

• garbage music. absolute garbage

• İnteresting.
    Thanks for share

• Interesting...

• I wish
    Jorja Smith
    would dominate me!
    God damn!

• Rita Ora... yum!

• Thanks for sharing!

• the spice girls

• Are you talking about these days or of all time?

• These days. Ones who are currently in the charts and are busy making new music. :)

• @Hannah591 Do not understand what is good about any of these. Most of what I listen to is from the 1990s and earlier. Most of what I do listen to from today's music would not be on the billboard top 100 chart.

• I'm only sharing the music I enjoy whilst encouraging British and female artists. Nothing in this article is telling you to like them or think they're good?

• I'd smash all!

• Interesting myTake

• 0|0
    • check this African song, its good

• this song sucks, it's fake music. not made the by artists, over produced fake BS

• @steveguitar your life sucks

• Show more from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 18

• I knew some of these but really my absolute favorite is FKA Twigs. Her music is so against the norm! And soooo sensual in every way, from the moment I first heard one of her songs I was hooked! She is amazing!

• I love Dua Lipa
    My first song I heard was Scared to be lonely accoustic version and her voice was truly amazing.

• My favourite singer is Leona Lewis and I liked her more before she gained weight to fit into mainstream media more. A lot of celebrities make themselves fatter on purpose cause they don't want their fat fans to stop buying their cds out of jealousy.

• I love anne Marie voice so much she has a unique husky voice.

• I love Dua Lipa. Also, Ellie Goulding is so awesome.

• Clearly I don't like any of them, especially I don't get the hype about Dua Lipa. My British females singers/vocals clearly consist of lesser known ones. Chloe Howl, Lucy Rose, and Hannah Reid.

• I love Dua Lipa, I had no idea she was British though. I assume everyone is American until proven otherwise

• Dua Lipa. Her songs are catchy.

• JORJA SMITH <3

• I love Dua Lipa!

• Anne-marie and Dua Lipa are my faves!!

• Alessia cara is my favorite.

• Man who are these now

• Rita Ora is also Albanian. Her last name means “time.”

• Ok. Thanks for the points.

• I’m shocked they’re black.

• What do you mean by that?

• I never see many people of color who are really popular British artist

• Steflon Don

• Rita ORa!!!