Should guys help their wives around the house if they both work

Daniela1982

This should be interesting reading.

Girls can show this to their husbands. Go for it girls!

A friend came to my house for coffee, we sat down and talked about life. After a while I interrupted the conversation and said to him, ′′I'm going to wash the dishes, I'll be right back.” He looked at me like I told him he was going to build a spaceship. So he said to me with admiration and a little stumped, ′′Glad you help your wife, I rarely help mine because when I do she never thanks me. Last week I washed the floor and she didn't even tell me thank you.” I sat back down with him again and explained to him that I don't ′′help′′ my wife. Actually, my wife doesn't need help, she needs a partner, a teammate. I'm her home partner… and due to that, all functions are divided, which is not “help” with household chores. I don't “help” my wife clean the house, because I also live in it and I need to clean it too. I don't “help” my wife cook, because I also want to eat and I need to cook too. I don't “help” her washing dishes after eating, because I use these dishes too. I don't “help” my wife with kids, because they are mine too and it's my duty to be a father. I don't “help” my wife wash, extend, fold, and put away laundry, because it's mine and my kid's laundry too. I don't give a “helping hand” at home, I'm part of it. Then with respect I asked my friend when was the last time after his wife finished cleaning the house, doing laundry, changing the bed sheets, bathing the kids, cooking, organizing, etc.. and did he say: “thank you?” I mean a real thank you, like, “Wow, baby!! You're amazing!!" Does this all seem absurd? Does it sound weird to you? When, once in your life, you cleaned the floor, you expected at least an excellence award with great glory... why? Haven't you ever thought about that? Maybe, because for you, macho culture taught you that everything is a woman's task. Maybe you've been taught that all this should be done without you having to move a finger. So praise her as you would like to be praised, likewise, with the same intensity. Hold her hand and behave like a true companion, and assume your part, don't behave like a guest who simply comes to eat, sleep, shower and satisfy sexual needs... feel at home, in your home. Change in our society begins in our homes, teaching our children the true sense of fellows

I got your breakfast, right here!
I got your breakfast, right here!
34
10
10Girl Opinion
34Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• motownplayer2000
    If that is what you guys agree on.. everyone is different in there relationships. I’ve seen wives get made if they husbands help around the house. Mostly because they create more work than actually help. But I’ve seen it. Goes to show, don’t always have to follow social norms.
    Funny 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
  • exitseven
    I do a lot of household chores. Vacuuming, laundry, empty dishwasher, my wife usually cooks most nights but I clean up the mess afterwards, sometimes I make dinner.
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1032
  • Massageman
    My wife has greater earning potential than I ( counseling can be done via phone now- massage can't- sigh ), so I cook almost all of our meals, do most of the laundry, load/empty the dishwasher, most day-to-day shopping, inventory and restock stuff as needed, and all the usual fix-up junk and the honey do items. I also keep all the books for my business, her business, plus the household books.

My wife gets to wash the plastic dishes that can't go in the washer, and usually puts out the garbage (she comes home late at night, and when the garage is open anyway to get her car IN, the garbage goes OUT!). She pulls most of the weeds while I mow and design the landscape, and for some strange reason, she actually likes to paint (walls, not pictures). Projects such as hanging drapes - our current effort- we have to double-team the problem!

So, it is a team. When my wife rhetorically comments "what would I do without you?", I just say "a little less". Now, if you 'll excuse me, I hear the dryer buzzer calling for me.
    Funny 1 Person
    • Always nice to see a division of labor in a marriage.

• Massageman

Too bad we don't see a division of power in government!

• Slartybartfast
    Remember, yard work, home repairs remodeling, car repairs are all "housework"

My friend's wife was complaining about him not doing dishes, he said fine , I'll do them all, but you have to mow the lawn..

She made it halfway through ONE cut before giving up, he had to finish it. Never mentioned it again.

He had just finished putting new break pads on her car while she was mowing, I don't think she understood that was "housework" as well.
    Like 2 People
  • Mjay420
    Yes of course. Why is she going to be doing more of the work around the house if she works as well and bring money to the house. Both people need to help in order for the relationship to work. Men in the relationship are supposed to be a boyfriend or husband and not a child or extra child.
    Helpful 2 People
  • Not_Average
    Women are generally much better at cleaning and taking care of a home, so it makes sense for her to fulfill that role. My wife works and so do I. She cleans and cooks. I take the money we earn, and make more of it through investments and trades. Most women aren’t good at what I do, and most men aren’t good at what she does. 50/50 doesn’t make sense when each person offers unique talents and traits.
    • But does she get half of that money you make?

• It’s our money. We don’t look at money like that.

• MzAsh

So it’s “our money” but is it “our responsibility to cook and clean?”

• hellacray
    I think it's fair to split the duties or take turns.

A buddy of mine is doing pretty much everything in his house. Like he does all the cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, and he's the only one that drives.

I'm a little surprised he's able to put up with it because he does work full time as well.

Personally I wouldn't want house chores being that one sided.
  • Spongeboblol
    Otherwise dont tell us , women, to earn money and split the bills and house expenses , dump selfish husbands today , dont wait for tomorrow, thats all what i will do 🤔😏
  • Dragonpurple
    Yes I think they should, housework is everyones job not just one of you.
    Like 3 People
  • Alisa158
    I think as long as time allows, anything two people do will feel romantic. Love is mutual, no need to distinguish too clearly
    Like 1 Person
  • AviatorTom
    Marriage is a partnership. You help each other, any way you can. Sometimes she'll ask for help, sometimes you help out without her asking.
    Like 1 Person
  • Juxtapose
    I keep hearing about this 1950s standard that women are supposed to be the ones to clean yet I usually clean and cook better than a lot of women I meet lol.
    Like 1 Person
  • Femphile_xoxo
    I think it's however the couple agrees to hash out the chores. Personally, I'd like an s/o to be doing just as much work as I do around the house. 😋
  • Mickbert
    I’m 100% the submissive so I do 90% of the chores, cooking, cleaning, etc. she sits back until I’m done and then I get to go and take care of her ;-)
  • Staximus
    Of course they should help them. Anybody who doesn't help their wife clean up the house is a lazy inconsiderate spoiled piece of shit who's mommy did everything for them growing up.
    • Wait, didn't everyone's mothers do everything for us when we were kids?

• Staximus

I'm talking about guys who didn't have to do chores around the house when they were old enough, mom did their laundry until they moved out, etc.

• For some they still take their laundry to mom.

• Justagentuk
    I'm a perfectionist, maybe a littke ocd,
    So I do the housework so it meets my standard
    Men make not just better cooks, but better cleaners too!
    • How does your wife see it though?

• We do share the housework but I like doing it, for sure she doesn't like when I point out missed areas etc.. So I learned not comment and I do the missed bits later

• beenthereguy
    I have an unexpected answer for you. 18 years after I had a woman TEACH ME to lick her AFTER she had sex, I gently coaxed a "timid" or passive woman into letting me lick her AFTER we had sex! For a woman that had 1 orgasm with some patience on my part, she had multiple screaming orgasms. She begged me to stop because she "wasn't in shape for that". What does that have to do with housework? "IT" changed the WHOLE relationship. We talked MORE about sex and had MORE sex! She became more aggressive about her DESIRES! And, the housework was done with me naked and her in lingerie! Sometimes she made me wear lingerie or even lipstick. Here is the point -- the HOUSEWORK was WELL done and done with enthusiasm. Ha!
  • sunflower00
    Of course both the man and the woman should split housework/cooking etc. equally. My boyfriend and I both work full time, he makes a little bit more than me, but I work more hours. When we move out this year we are going to split rent equally and we have spoken about splitting the housework and cooking equally. Obviously he has been raised with a general idea that women do more housework but he seems on board with it and it would be incredibly unfair if he did nothing. Also, he’s a way better cook than me so I think he’d rather make the food half the time to be honest haha
  • Hispanic-Cool-Guy
    If they can't hire a maid then obviously he needs to help. He lives there too.
    Like 2 People
  • HighValue
    Hmm, does the wife also mow the lawn, trim the hedges and trees, wash the cars, take out the trash, feed the animals, etc? Because most people that complain about a man not doing much around the house, are the same people that do nothing outside.

She needs to do as much as he does outside if she expects him to do as much inside the house. And that is if she actually contributes equally financially to the house, utilities, transportation and food expenses, etc. too.

For the majority of couples, the man contributes FAR more than the woman does.
    • Hmmm, do you plan on staying single the rest of your life then?

• SHREYASH007
    Yes 100%, but I am not proficient in household chores so I can only work as a helper, I may surely give her good body masssage after work for sure.
  • msc545
    It depends on the relative amount of work each one does: If the guy works 40 hours a week and she works 10, then no.
  • Show More (22)