19 d

How to Farm Rabbits for Meat and Manure

A whole ruck load of Tennessee shitbricks

So the first thing you need to know, is some of the words we in the industry use

1. Male rabbit - he's a buck
2. Female rabbit - she's a doe
3. Fryer - less than 10 weeks old, between 3.5 - 5lb live
4. Roaster - 10 weeks to six months, between 5.5 - 9lb live
5. Stewer - more than six months, and at least 8lb live
6. Shitter - a de-ballsed male rabbit

That last one - well, that's one I thought up myself ;) A good shitter will produce up to 300 balls of shit per day. That's a lot of manure for you to sell on, and make yourself a tidy profit into the bargain, too!

Cages waiting for shitters
Cages waiting for shitters

You might well ask why it's so important to de-balls your shitters. There's several good reasons

1. When he's got balls, a rabbit will spray piss everywhere he can, and it stinks. It makes him stink, too.
2. De-ballsing them seems to take the fight out of them - they're nicer and easier to handle. Plus they don't bite.
3. They'll shit more, when they're not thinking about screwing other rabbits.

If you don't de-balls them, you'll regret it. Trust me on this. I bet you want to know how we de-balls them, and it's real easy - it costs about 2c per shitter. You just wrap rubber bands around his balls, and then they drop right off all on their own. Take him to a vet and you could waste $200, just on that. But for 2c, you've turned an agricultural varmint into a Tennessee shitbrick. Neat, huh?

If any rabbit does anything that eats into your profit, cull 'em. Things like this can include chewing the cages, high infant mortality, not being a good mom, all of that kind of stuff. You want docile, productive rabbits, and it will pay off in the long run, if you turn any one of them, with bad behavior, into pet food.

My next edition will be all about breeding the ones who still do have balls. What else would you like to know about farming shitters?

How to Farm Rabbits for Meat and Manure
11
12

Join the discussion

Most Helpful Guys

• Curmudgeon

I realize the goo-goo "animal rights" people are going to go nuts at you, but like chickens, these animals are edible, and they don't live long enough to really bond to them like we do dogs and cats.
    (I will say that my ex-wife was a school teacher, and she had pet bunnies in hutches for her elementary school class to study and even play with, and the kids learned--the hard way--not to get too attached to them.)

Put into movable pens, they can actually "mow your lawn" or destroy your weed patch by moving the pen along as they eat it down.

Where I live, lots of people have chicken coops in their backyards, even in a built up suburban area. This seems to be especially common among Mexican American or other Latino families.

Is this still revelant?
    • There's a huge difference between cages on the ground where rabbits can exhibit their natural behaviour and have places to hide.( The same goes with chickens) and bare cages stacked up. No wonder there producing so much shit the poor things are terrified. I'm a sheep farmer, this crap just gives ammo to the animal rights activists.

• Curmudgeon

@purplepoppy Fair enough.

• Anonymous

@purplepoppy You could not be more wrong. In the wild, a shitter spends his entire life terrified. Of his own shadow, even. When he lives like this, in a cage, he knows nothing can get him, and he lives like a king. It's the perfect life for him.

• zagor

You must be kidding - rabbit shit as fertilizer? Don't they have cows in your area?

Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Rabbit shit is the best. Any gardner will tell you. Problem with cow shit is, you need to compost it for at least a year, as it is so acidic. Rabbit shit, though, you can use it right away!

• zagor

But it's in little balls. Do you mash it up or something?

• Anonymous

Yeah, you can do that, if you want, but the balls are pretty dry - we just sack it up, and leave that part up to the customer.

Most Helpful Girls

• WPFS_r6

I will look forward to your next MyTake.

Is selling manure better than selling meat and/or fur though?

Is this still revelant?
  • Great Take. šŸ˜Šā™„ļøšŸ¤™

Is this still revelant?

910
  • May the god Myxomatosis smile upon your endeavours.

• Anonymous

If it does, I'll just get more

• Cybernizer

Why not just de-balls them the old fashioned way? Chop chop!

• Anonymous

You don't want them bleeding out. My way, the balls just drop off, or the shitter takes them off himslef.

• You are so mean ur willing to kill a precious animal who done no harm to u really? How cruel ,šŸ˜­šŸ¤¬šŸ˜ šŸ˜”

• Cybernizer

Hey.. Rabbit actually tastes pretty good!

• WolfsRoze

Honestly rabbits were introduced into Australia as a food source and now they run rapid it destroying the country. Are an invasive species and they're multiplying like rabbit.

• Cybernizer

Oh great.. It will be like the great emu war all over again!

• Twat_Twig

Poor bunnies... They don't deserve to be locked up in cages their entire lives..

• anametouse

No one:
    Literally no one:
    Blue anon age 36-45: shitters need to be de balled yee haw

• Anonymous

Are you some kind of an idiot, son?

• anametouse

Not really, dad!

• Anonymous

You sure sound like you are!

• Jersey2

I wonder if there is a market for free range and/or organic rabbits?

• Passinggas

I know a guy that tried this and his kids made pets out of them so then he couldn't kill/butcher them. Rabbits have that built in protection.

• Anonymous

You got to stop the kids from giving them names. That's when the rot sets in.

• GraveDoll

Sounds extremely cruel... poor things.

• Anonymous

What sounds cruel?

• GraveDoll

Doesn't matter. I never explain things to anyone who can not even see the other side of the coin. Be a waste of my breath.

• CocoBat

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure they don't profuce nearly enough manure.-.

• NovissimumVirorum

I'd rather hunt wild rabbits

• Anonymous

Well, I think that's fun too, and they taste different and that's a fact. The real betty about raising your own, though, is they're there when you need them.

• Definitely

A good reminder that life is often cruel

• itstheimpossiblekid

Ty for the new information

• FictionalCharacter

Okay.

• Xander27

Nice

• OsamaBinLadan

This reminds me of the movie US

• Nothing.

• Anonymous

Why not? You already know all there is to know?

• I don't care enough. Not my goal.

• Anonymous

A dark and cruel soul is fit for this shit. Disgusting.

• Anonymous

Ass hat

• Anonymous

Iā€™m gonna hunt you down sick rabbit killer

• Anonymous

I'm really scared.

• Anonymous

The poor babies šŸ’”