1 mo

Dawn on the beach with a skunk named 'Sharp'

DeeDeeDeVour

Just visiting...

I woke up early. So, I decided to explore parts of Kiawah Island despite the chilly ocean breeze and passing showers. I was dressed for the moment... wearing my raincoat over my wet suit. I sought shelter from the rain inside a gazebo that was just erected for a wedding later in the day. From our hotel room, I brought a backpack with a towel, my thermos with hot chocolate, a bagel with lox, capers & cream cheese, bottled water & my phone.

Soon after I unwrapped my bagel sandwich, a skunk arrived and circled the gazebo numerous times before stepping in with me. He was drenched wet with rain water. I stood frozen stiff, contemplating whether or not to make a run for it. However, after shaking himself to dry up, he showed interest in my bagel sandwich. As an animal lover, I decided to pick off little pieces of my bagel and toss them to him just outside the gazebo. Quickly, he'd pick 'em up and re-enter the gazebo. The rain stopped but, at this point, I completely missed my chance to capture the sunrise with my phone because this critter "stole the show" this morning.

Dawn on the beach with a skunk named Sharp

I later realized that I had gotten down to sit on the floor and share the rest of my food with him. He particularly liked the capers and the cream cheese. He showed a bit of interest in my hot chocolate but didn't care to drink what I offered. We were actually together for nearly an hour. My fear of him disappeared. I'm still afraid of skunks but not of this guy. In fact, I didn't reach out to touch him.

As soon as the resort staff started combing the beach, he looked at me as if to say "thanks" & "goodbye" with his face & hands. But, before he left, he shook his entire body again to dry up. That did scare me again a bit since I saw his tail up.

Tonight, I was approached by a resort employee who told me precious stories about a male skunk they call 'Sharp' who surprisingly survives solo in the island. Unfortunately, the resort management is infuriated by Sharp's existence but, at least, Animal Conservationists here are geared towards protecting Sharp and, hopefully, finding him a suitable new environment. That gives us few Sharp "fans" some peace of mind. I even quipped that I'm crazy enough to adopt him if they'll let me.

8
2
2Girl Opinion
8Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• Andres77
    That is ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS!!!
    I loved reading this. Thank you.
    And I envy such a wonderful innocent moment.
    Well done.
    There's something in your heart that just screams "right".
    Blessings on the one you choose to share your heart with.
    Frikkin awesome...
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

27
  • MrOracle
    Skunks only spray when threatened. Otherwise, they are cute and friendly creatures - they just aren't able to run very fast or fight very well, and would otherwise be eaten by foxes, coyotes, dogs, and large birds. Their spray is their only weapon.
    Like 1 Person
  • jimmy2
    Ever get spayed by a skunk you never forget that. I remind of a story in prison. The male offender pick up a skumk it sprayed him so he pointed the spay to feet and chest then kick it like a football went back to his bunk and qent to sleep making everyone disgusted by his presences
    Like 1 Person
  • Guardian45
    That reminds me of the time I befriended a large pelican on a Florida pier. After our half-hour of close but too close contact, people cam up to and said is he your pet? I said No, I just met him!
    Like 3 People
  • lightbulb27
    Cute. Maybe doesn’t have the odor sac or lost sense of fear w humans.
    Like 1 Person
  • najekim
    Many states allow de-scented skunks as house pets and I have always wanted one. Too bad where I live now don't allow them.
    Like 1 Person
  • bulletbob555
    I live in sc I've never seen a skunk. Sounds like a experience for your memories. Enjoy your vacation
    Like 1 Person
  • DaisyOpal
    I 💖 skunks! I'm not kidding!
  • BlacklightShade
    Who needs a guard dog when you have a pet skunk!
  • Tabasco25
    Western spotted skunks are my favorite kind