Golden Ticket Racism: What it Means, Why You Should Care

GoldMeddle

*This MyTake contains offensive material, read at your own risk. Call me ignorant, stupid, selfish, or any other name you can think of, but don't call me racist. This is in no way racist. I do not believe any race is superior to another race.*

I really wasn't planning on writing another MyTake about race. But here I am, writing another MyTake about race. Because there's something(s) I need to get off my chest.

There's a racism epidemic in America. It's spreading like wildfire. I'm pretty sure you've noticed it. non-whites being abused by cops. Non-whites being treated poorly because of the color of their skin. Whites hating on non whites, solely due to the color of their skin.

There's a racism epidemic in America. It's spreading like a virus. I'm pretty sure you haven't noticed it. Whites being treated poorly because of the color of their skin. Non whites hating on whites, solely due to the color of their skin.

I can already anticipate some of the responses. Something about how non-whites cannot be racist because they don't benefit from systemic racism and systems of oppression. Something about how white people are more racist. Something about how racism is justified because look at the history books.

I'm just going to give my answers to these responses right now.

1) Non whites cannot be racist because they don't benefit from systemic racism and systems of oppression.

Yes, non whites can be racist. The definition of racism is as follows. As you can see it has nothing to do with oppression.

But definitions can change over time. Yes, they can. But any word can be broken down into its parts to derive its meaning. You can't change the definition of a word willy nilly.

I covered this at depth in another MyTake. In short, any race can be racist. But if you don't believe that before you read this, I probably won't have changed your mind.

Racism isn't a contest

Having a contest to see which group of people is more racist is like a contest between two people to see which one of them is more antisocial. Who cares. Racism is racism and racism is bad. It doesn't really matter who is more racist. Just like there are degrees of antisocial behavior, but I think we can agree that any antisocial behavior is bad.

Honestly, it doesn't matter who is more racist. And how would you prove this to begin with. There aren't statistics measuring the amount of racists in America. According to one poll, more than half of Americans are racist. I sincerely doubt that's actually the case, but who knows, maybe it is.

Racism is bad. End of discussion.

Racism towards non-whites isn't justified, racism towards whites is justified

Whether or not one kind of racism is more justified or not really doesn't matter. Here's what I know. In high school I had a few black friends. They didn't hate me for my skin color. They dealt with racial discrimination. If they dealt with racial discrimination and don't hate me, that proves a person can be racially discriminated against and not turn into a racist.

I think some people are logical and mentally strong enough to not let one bad experience color their views of a group of people while others aren't. I think that's what determines who is and isn't racist. Intelligence also plays a major role- racists of any skin color seem to be the most unintelligent people. The sort of people who would overgeneralize and believe that because two people share a trait they must also have similar personalities.

With that out of the way, let me get into what I really want to talk about today. Racism towards white people, or as I like to call it "golden ticket" racism.

I call it golden ticket racism because that's precisely what it is. A non white person will be racist towards a white person. When called out on this racist behavior they will point out one of those three things (usually, there are other arguments as well) in an attempt to distance themselves from the term. Instead of changing their behavior and actions to avoid being racist they want to change the word itself.

This is basically a golden ticket. They can say whatever they would like to the other person because they are white, while the white person cannot say whatever they want to the non-white person.

Granted, this is very flawed logic. And it's not as though everybody else is OK with this person saying whatever they want or agrees with them. But that's the thing- really all this person needs to do is justify to themselves why it is OK for them to say these things and why it doesn't actually make them a racist.

Earlier this morning I came across this gem of an article entitled "My Open Letter to White People or Why I Hate ‘White people’

Just stop and think about that for a second. What if I were to write an article entitled "my open letter to black people or why I hate black people." I'm willing to bet people wouldn't react well...

Now, I know what you're thinking. OK, so this person is racist. So what. As you pointed out in this MyTake, racists exist.

That's precisely the issue- I wouldn't have such a problem if the person writing this letter simply came out and said "I hate white people, I'm a racist I don't care white people suck."

That's not at all what happens.

(https://whatwhiteswillneverknow.com/post/75598021537/my-open-letter-to-white-people-or-why-i-hate if you care to read it yourself)

First, the author mentions some racist things she's said in the past. She seems completely comfortable with mentioning that stuff too. Like it's something to be proud of.

Let's replace the word white with the word black and see what happens:

"Ugh, black people."

"Fuck black people."

"I hate black people."

Sounds like the ramblings of a racist. If somebody made those remarks and then claimed they weren't a racist I would probably laugh in their face at the absurdity of that statement.

So how does the author justify it? By claiming there is an underlying REASON for the racist statements. Oh ok, let's hear her out. What is this reason.

As she goes on to explain, her distaste for white people is not actually her fault, but the fault of white people.

If I were to write an article called "my open letter to black people or why I hate black people" write down a bunch of racist stuff I frequently say about black people and then go on to explain that my hatred wasn't my own fault but the fault of black people...

She contradicts everything known about words and language by explaining that she isn't really saying she hates white people. She's saying she hates being compared to white people. She's saying she hates being judged by the standard of white people. She hates that she's being scrutinized based on the principles of white people. And she hates that white people don't have to think about race on a regular basis.

But instead of saying that, instead of clarifying what she means she just simply says she hates white people. Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like a bit of an...

So not only does she hate white people. It's white people's own fault that she hates them. OK lady.

She goes on to list all the reasons she hates white people and her hatred is justified. There are many.

She then goes on to justify her own racism by pointing out examples of other people's racism.

And then she has the audacity to claim that white people cannot face racism. And adds that she hates white people for claiming they can face racism.

So she hates white people because they call her a racist when she says she hates them. Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

Oh, and she hates how white people can defend this point with the dictionary.

Basically, she's a raging racist that frequently spews anti-white racial epithets and it's all white people's fault and she doesn't want to be called racist.

This sort of casual racism towards whites isn't exactly uncommon though. Just take a look at the black lives matter facebook page. I hate white people isn't an uncommon sentiment followed immediately by "I'm not racist, I just can't stand them."

Your past does not give you a golden ticket to be as racist as you want when other people who experienced the same things in their past are not racist. You are racist because you are feeble minded and stupid.

And if you don't like that word, tough shit. I'm not too fussed about what I call someone who hates me. If you don't want to be racist, DON'T ACT RACIST. This isn't rocket science.

4
12

Most Helpful Girl

• Brokenheartedx
    The only way to beat racism
    If have a group of little toddlers
    1 white 1 black 1 Chinese 1 Mexican 1 sihk 1 Jewish kid 1 Muslim etc etc
    One of every race/ religion and watch them interact
    Kids are immune to colour and by watchin these kids play and share toys would set an example to the grown ups... kno where this is going?

Is this still revelant?
    • GoldMeddle

Yes, racism isn't something you're born with, it's learned. I completely agree. No little kid could even wrap their head around racism and race. Through their parents, they learn to be prejudiced.

Most Helpful Guy

• Borginborg
    Suprisingly I mostly agree with your rant. Just have to broaden it to include other non-white nationalities. Messed up thing is even though I'm native I pass for white and could easily be a white person, was raised white. But I still agree with you (for the most part)
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

311
  • Other_Tommy_Wiseau
    "This sort of casual racism towards whites isn't exactly uncommon though. Just take a look at the black lives matter facebook page"...

Well, no shit 😂. The internet, especially with the addition of social media, has created an extremist mentality whereby any article about anything generally attracts people who agree with said article. The people most likely to read and comment on fox news articles are people who read and like fox news. People who comment on the patriots fan page are generally patriots (and trolls). That's how the system works. And generally, the people commenting are the most extreme and/or most brazen

Thanks to the internet, it creates anonymity whereby people can say and do what they want with no one even knowing. None of my friends or family can trace this account to me... FUCK BLACK PEOPLE!!! See (btw, I'm black)

But because of it, generally those sites and pages attract a minority as opposed to the majority. It's 1 instance where the 80/20 rule applies... And that goes for anything, not just the thing I highlighted

As for the rest of the article, I could address it, but already burned through 1500/2500, so I'll save it. I'm going to write a take on something related to this eventually. I'm just a lazy shit 😑
    • GoldMeddle

It's fine, I understand. I often don't read through the entire MyTake people write and get burned out. Just as long as you get the gist of it.

That's very true, I was just surprised to find an article like that on the internet. I knew if I searched the internet I could find a racist article, but I didn't realize I'd find an article with an author that said I hate white people and then pointed out that they were not racist.

The comments don't really surprise me I guess. But some people still seem surprised that this sort of racism occurs.

• It's going to at least be 2x as long as that... I also don't read entire takes. You were surprised to find that type of internet article? You must be new to the 21st century 😂. rule 34, minus the porn part

• Saoirse_Nua
    I actually never heard term before "Golden Ticket" racism but you are spot on - I stay as much in the middle as I can but if a person is abused because of their race, it is racism - I think the whole argument is getting lost in the weeds here though where both sides can link to examples of their group being racially abused lets just view each case on at a time and see is there any issues that need to be resolved - We seem to spend so much time trying to prove who is more right.
    • GoldMeddle

Good point, i agree with you. I was trying to come up with a catchy title and I settled on golden ticket racism, picturing that SP episode with cartman saying he got a golden ticket.

Racism towards anybody is a horrible thing.

• DoctorNuggets
    So sorry for your exposure to racism! Do you need aloe or emu for your burns? If a black person were racist to a non-black person, everyone would coddle the the non-black person, and bring up the tired "statistics show" rhetoric to justify their racism towards black people. Whenever black people are going through some rough shit and try to speak up about it, people like to rally and say "get over it," or my personal favorite, "stop playing victim." Yet, I see no one saying that to you (hmmmm). So please get over it. Or better yet, if you're so mad, just go talk to the girl who wrote the article instead of venting about it. Why is it that when non-black people have a problem with black people, you all go to the internet to blow the steam instead going to what you considered the problem in the first pace? Isn't that how you solve things?

I find it funny how you can analyze how racist a black lady can be, you know, so everyone can come together and bash her too but that's nothing new, I see people bitch about black women all the time. How come you're not on Chimpmania trying to be a saint?
    • GoldMeddle

@DoctorNuggets What a hilarious joke. My sides hurt from laughing so much.

Who is this "everyone" you speak of? In case you weren't aware, the word everyone means every single person. You and the other three people criticizing me fall into that group. Therefore "everyone" would not coddle the non-black person.

I didn't bring up the statistics show. Why are you bringing this up?

Oh please, there are entire ARTICLES on the internet defending black people. There are people defending a black person who pointed a loaded gun at a cop.

Go talk to the girl who wrote the article- are you an absolute idiot? I don't know the girl who wrote the article. How on Earth would I get in contact with her? Why would she contact me? How often do you read an article on huffington post and then contact the person that wrote the article. And, on top of everything I just said, why would I want to contact a racist.

• GoldMeddle

@DoctorNuggets in case you're completely illiterate, I mentioned she was racist. Why would I, a white person, want to contact someone who freqently mentions how much they dislike me.

I go to the internet. Yeah, no shit sherlock. Of course I'm not going to go up to a random black guy and bitch and moan about how difficult racism has been for me. If you're still talking about the lady who wrote that article, once again I DO NOT KNOW HER. I only know that she hates white people. That's all I know about her.

Yes, I linked that article hoping that people would bash her. I linked it because it was an example of a black person being racist. Who are these "people" who bitch about black women all the time. Because I don't know anybody like that and I've never met anybody like that. Are you talking about Keemstar?

Half of the comments you made seem to be directed towards a member of the KKK so I'll just let them respond to those.

by the way, you must be blind. Three people and yourself criticize

• GoldMeddle

@DoctorNuggets criticized me. "I see no one saying that to you"- not my problem that you are blind. Or stupid.

If you are blind I can't make the typeface any bigger. So I'll just count on the fact that you're stupid and specifically single out the comments I'm referring to.

1)"Racism isn't a contest"

Okay, in that case you should probably quit trying so hard to win the Whos The Biggest Victim of Racism Contest.

2) Racism is an aspect of oppression. Pretending minorities oppress the majority is ridiculous. Just an excuse to be racist.

3) your dumb comment

4) there's a thing your missing out on.

When a bully routinely kicks the crap out of weaker kids, it's wrong.

When the kids hit back, it's still wrong. But the bully doesn't get a lot of credibility or sympathy by pointing it out.

Usually I don't respond this way, But I've never seen such a condescending obnoxious comment in my entire life.

• Relentless_Hippie
    Why does every race related topic have to be about whites versus blacks? There's more people out there, especially mixed people and racism is pointless and stupid.
    • GoldMeddle

I specifically used the term non whites because I recieved this piece of criticism on a different MyTake

A lot of racial tension happens between whites and (Insert group here)

But yes, I agree racism is pointless and stupid. As are racists.

• Honestly I didn't realize this was you until you commented. May I ask, how come you write about this so much?

• GoldMeddle

@Relentless_Hippie a lot to say on this topic, but this is my last MyTake about it. I felt like I hadn't addressed this particular element in my other two MyTakes.

I'm going to stop making MyTakes about race though, I'm tired of talking about it at this point.

• jacquesvol
    Racism is an aspect of oppression. Pretending minorities oppress the majority is ridiculous. Just an excuse to be racist.
    • GoldMeddle

I didn't say minorities "oppress" the majority. What I said was minorities can be racist. That's all I said.

I'm not racist. Nothing I said was racist.

• jacquesvol

Racism by a minority group (real or supposed) will have few effects, compared to racism by a majority group.

• GoldMeddle

@jacquesvol will have few effects on the group as a whole. It will still affect the person it's directed at.

• Fizpop
    "Racism isn't a contest"

• GoldMeddle

If you came away from this thinking that was my intention you obviously didn't take any time to read this or my other two MyTakes. I think I explicitly stated multiple times that blacks face more racism. Not my problem if you can't read.

• bloodmountain1990
    No one should be hated because of their race, gender, sexual orientation, etc but that doesn't excuse them to do certain behaviors either.

A piece of shit is a piece of shit regardless of what race, gender, sexual orientation, etc they are.
  • selflover
    well look when I watch videos on youtube trust me i find everybody hate everybody on youtube
    like i was watching hort video about some culture and its beautiful but the comments were
    Fuck... and fuck... and death to... and blah blah blah
    we are all humans
    im so sad i see this amount of hate esp online against people who did nothing coz we never choose our race
    i was born in Egypt I didnot choose my race so why some people say fuck Egypt ot i hate you or etc
    i feel you and i think black people are the most ones who feel this racism :( sad world. excuse my bad English
    • GoldMeddle

Your English is fine.

I agree that black people are on the recieving end of most of the racism. I wrote this MyTake because most people are aware of racism towards blacks- more people may be unaware of racism towards whites.

I wish we could all get along too. Don't know who hates Egypt- Egypt is awesome.

Yeah, youtube comments are notoriously awful unfortunately.

• selflover

well sadly on youtube everybody hate everybody
      type name of any country and you will see haters
      i know many people love Egypt and the history of it
      but we are as any nation , some people hate us some love us
      i still wish to see people focus more on peace and love
      coz we are all humans and i dont support any kind of racism
      i mean we are all sons and daughters of adam and eve :)

• IsraelJordan
    "Let's replace the word white with the word black and see what happens:
    "Ugh, black people."
    "Fuck black people."
    "I hate black people."
    No lie this part made me laugh because i have said every single one of these things about black and white people, but i never mean it seriously, for example its snowing outside and i see a white guy walk by in a t shirt and shorts, im going to look at my friend and say "fucking white people" and they will agree. Is it racist? Yeah probably, but am i wrong though? I have never seen anyone but white people do shit like that. but on to the bigger point. "And then she has the audacity to claim that white people cannot face racism. And adds that she hates white people for claiming they can face racism." Can you give me an example from personal experience where being white has been a negative factor in your life? Just curious
    • GoldMeddle

Can I give an example where being white has been a negative factor? In classrooms where most of the kids were latino or black it has been a negative factor, that's for sure. Aside from that, no, I can't.

The thing is though, a statement is racist whether it impacts the person you are saying it to or not. At least, that's the way I see it.

I guess my response to that would be this; the difference between you and the person in the article is you are joking. Plus, you obviously mean fuck that person. The examples she gave were a lot more serious, and I didn't get the sense she was joking. Even if you attribute a certain trait to white people that isn't racist perse. And you don't dislike white people because of that. She dislikes white people (or seems to anyways) because of those things she mentioned.

• I know she was serious, i can never really hate anyone. There is no point. But any ways now see the difference here is that i can give you many examples of how being black affected me negatively either professionally or personally and i believe that is the reason why people say "white people can't face racism" Im pretty sure they don't mean it in the literal sense of you can't say something racist to a white person, what the mean is that white people don't live with racism the way other people do, which may vary in come cases but is generally true for most white people that being white has never really been a negative for you.

• GoldMeddle

@IsraelJordan I'll concede, in most cases being white has not negatively impacted me. And obviously there are struggles non whites face that I can't understand, not having faced them myself.

Perhaps she didn't mean it that sense. Maybe she did mean white people can't face institutional racism because in most cases it isn't detrimental to them. But there are quite a few articles claiming that non whites can't be racist and that's what bothers me.

I can't even guarantee I wouldn't be racist towards white people if I had a different background. However, I can observe the fact that there are people like you who have dealt with these things that aren't racist, and other people who have dealt with them that are racist. And honestly, I got the sense that the woman who wrote that article was racist. Maybe not, but that's definitely the vibe I got.

• NedfromtheNed
    Very good.
    You would make a fitting addition to the Coalition of Reason.
  • anonman32
    That anti white letter is racist as fuck.
  • Anonymous
    Golden ticket = race card. You are 100% correct in the fact that it's become socially acceptable to be racist against whites, and sexist against men! Good Take!
  • Anonymous
    I think your take is more or less true, but there's a thing your missing out on.

Whites complaining of racism now, after 200 years in America of being the racist whip holders, doesn't engender a lot of sympathy, even if it is true.
    You see?

It doesn't matter that you or your peers are not racist. "White" people still are. And the reaction to that is racism, but directed at whites. And racism, by definition, doesn't care about the individual. So it doesn't matter that you're not a racist.

Is it wrong? Sure. So was racism 200 years ago. You just won't get much sympathy for deciding that NOW it's a problem, just because it's suddenly become a problem for your race.
    • Jager66

"When a bully routinely kicks the crap out of weaker kids, it's wrong."

Half wrong. A race of people aren't the bullies, racist individuals are the bullies. This is a VERY important distinction your missing.

"When the kids hit back, it's still wrong. But the bully doesn't get a lot of credibility or sympathy by pointing it out."

Wrong, self defense is an acceptable form of violence.

"Whites complaining of racism now, after 200 years in America of being the racist whip holders, doesn't engender a lot of sympathy, even if it is true.
      You see?"

Wrong. There has always been racists individuals of every race. Racism didn't start in "White America" but "White American" values are for the first time in human history acknowledging all people as deserving of basic human rights, including the eradication of Racism. White culture is at it's core anti racist, a few radical outliers does not change the rule.

• Jager66

"It doesn't matter that you or your peers are not racist. "White" people still are. And the reaction to that is racism, but directed at whites. And racism, by definition, doesn't care about the individual. So it doesn't matter that you're not a racist."

Wrong. It does matter if you and/or your peers are racist. Judging people by their race IS racism and you are not going to solve the Racism problem by being racist. People must be judged by their own merit, not as groups who fit into boxes. This comment of your is also hypocritical.

"Is it wrong? Sure. So was racism 200 years ago. You just won't get much sympathy for deciding that NOW it's a problem, just because it's suddenly become a problem for your race."

Half wrong. Yes Racism is wrong. This issue is not about "getting sympathy" it's about correcting and preventing racism. The reason people are speaking out about white racism is because racism is wrong and anti white racism is on the rise, it's about doing the right thing.

• Anonymous

@Jager66 You spend ages taking apart a metaphor, without seeming to realise it is a metaphor. Not a perfect one to one analogy.

And no one said we're trying to fix racism. Merely pointing out that your concerns won't mean much to people who have had to deal with racism for a lot longer than you.

Since you seem obtusely unaware of this - I can't help you.

• Anonymous
    Liberals split us. Blacks have it great and want more, preferences for jobs, preferences for schools, extra GPA for being black as in Florida, freedom from arrest, and white women are told they are oppressed as well to split white people. If you don not agree with the Liberal mindset then you are silenced. I and many others are fed up. The US will be like Detroit in 20 years, broken, crime ridden, corrupt and people who are confused as to how it happened when they voted for it all along.
    • GoldMeddle

I certainly don't agree with that. Certainly blacks have it better then say 200 years ago, but I wouldn't say blacks have it "great."

I fall somewhere in the middle when it comes to race issues I'd say.

• Anonymous

Blacks are PRIVILEDGED today. They know it too and take advantage of it. They are also incredibly racist. It doesn't help them much because as a whole they don't seem to be determined to get educated and work hard.

• GoldMeddle

I'm not convinced. Do you have any statistics that prove this? This is one of those citation needed cases.