4 Things Atheists Need to Stop Saying To Christians

Anonymous

You Get your Morality from the Bible

"Good" is a subjective concept. Atheists are generally raised within Christian cultured societies (although the majority of the worlds atheists are in China where that morality is highly questionable) so concepts of "good" and "bad" are generally speaking, non foundational. Inconsistent with the worldview of naturalism. In this attempt at mockery, It presents a highly misconstrude concept of Christian morality, as the common atheistic dismisall presumption goes "you get your morality from a book".

Nope... and neither do Christians claim that. They believe in an objective moral law, because they believe in an objective moral law giver. That every human being (yes EVERY) is made in God's image with an innate moral compass which the atheist equally posses. But atheistic foundations of morality (to defiine the terms good and bad) have yet to have a solid grounding

You're only a Christian because Your Parents were Christian

For a lot of people, regardless of where they come from. This is no doubt that parenting and culture play a huge influencial factor in deciding your belief of the child. It's just a matter of fact, but this happens regardless of belief system, whether it be Christian or Atheist or indeed any other set of beliefs. I am personally a Christian with non Christian parents, in fact my household consists of a mocking attitude to any religion (a backgroound that neither cares nor seeks), the same is true for my culture.

If someone is a Christian, it is someting atheists would openly mock so there isn't a culture sustaining it. Everyone has different reasons but for me, I became a Chrristian first and foremost for intellectual reasons after evaluating the evidence and second, spiritually. For a lot of people it can be the opposite or either/or. I would have actually preferred to have found God the opposite route. This argument is quite tiring and lacks substance

We're all Born Atheists

This has actually been studied extensively, including the largest and most extensive research project undertaken on human psychology. Oxford invested over £1.9 million over a period of 3 years in over 20 countries in over 40 separate studies to find out whether human beings we're predisposed believers or not.

The "New research finds that humans have natural tendencies to believe in gods and an afterlife. Research suggests that people across many different cultures instinctively believe that some part of their mind, soul or spirit lives on after-death. The studies demonstrate that people are natural 'dualists' finding it easy to conceive of the separation of the mind and the body."

“This suggests that attempts to suppress religion are likely to be short-lived as human thought seems to be rooted to religious concepts, such as the existence of supernatural agents or gods, and the possibility of an afterlife or pre-life.”

The study noted that regardless of where one is born, human beings are hard-wired believers in God. A small remote tribe with no culture in the middle of the pacific is expected to see creation and develop a religion through virtue of brain wiring. Rather the belief that there isn't a God is one that although a minority, is something culturally introduced but not rationally accounted for.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110714103828.htm

"Hiter was a Christian"

Unless we're desperate to argue straw men, no he wasn't. Yes, Hitler was born a Catholic but so are many atheists.

Claiming I am a test pilot because I play flight simulators doesn't make me a test pilot

Many of the "pro" Christian quotes you'll often hear thrown around the internet are public comments prior to ascending to power as evidenced by the years vs his criticism of Christianity while a leader in later years.

He is generally believed to have been skeptical of religion, but opportunistic and shrewdly aware of its influence on politics. Raised by an anti-clerical father and practicing Catholic mother, Hitler was baptized and confirmed in the Roman Catholic Church as a boy, but became hostile to Catholicism in adulthood. In his semi-autobiographical Mein Kampf, Hitler outlines a nihilistic philosophy, makes some religious allusions, and declares himself in favour of separation of church and state.

In public speeches, Hitler references providence, and sometimes said he was Christian. Officially, the Party endorsed what it termed "Positive Christianity" which stripped the religion of its Jewish origins and certain key doctrines such as belief in the divinity of Christ. In practice Hitler's regime persecuted the churches, and worked to reduce the influence of Christianity on society.

Hitler was reluctant to make public attacks on the Church for political reasons, but generally permitted or encouraged his inner-circle of anti-church radicals such as Heinrich Himmler, Joseph Goebbels and Martin Bormann to perpetrate the Nazi persecutions of the churches.

His remarks to confidants, as described in the Goebbels Diaries, the memoirs of Albert Speer, and transcripts of Hitler's private conversations recorded by Martin Bormann in Hitler's Table Talk, indicate anti-Christian beliefs. Goebbels wrote in 1941 that Hitler "hates Christianity". Alan Bullock considered that Hitler's central objection to Christianity, was that its teaching was "a rebellion against the natural law of selection by struggle and the survival of the fittest" (later through his eugenics programmes). Bullock considered Hitler to be a rationalist and a materialist who did not believe in God, but who frequently employed the language of "divine providence" in defense of his own myth.

According to Speer, Hitler had contempt for the neo-pagan views of Alfred Rosenberg and Himmler Hitler's appointment of the neo-pagan Rosenberg as official Nazi ideologist angered Christians. The regime launched an effort toward coordination of German Protestants under a unified Protestant Reich Church (but this was resisted by theConfessing Church) and moved early to eliminate political Catholicism.Hitler agreed to the Reich concordat with Rome, but then routinely ignored it, and permitted persecutions of the Catholic Church. Smaller religious minorities faced harsher repression, with the Jews of Germany expelled for extermination on the grounds of Nazi racial ideology.Jehovah's Witnesses were ruthlessly persecuted for refusing both military service and allegiance to Hitler's movement. Although he was prepared to delay conflicts for political reasons, many historians believe that Hitler eventually hoped to eradicate Christianity in Germany.

The Mohammedan religion . . . would have been much more compatible to us [Germans] than Christianity. Why did it have to be Christianity with its meekness and flabbiness?” (Speer, Albert. Inside the Third Reich (New York: Avon, 1971, p. 734).

"National Socialism and religion cannot exist together.... The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity." July 1941 Hitler's Table Talk

I think of of us recognise that Hitler wasn't a Christian. He may not have been an atheist but certainly was not a believer.

Religion is about Believing in Something Without Any Evidence

To Be continued

4
7

Most Helpful Girl

• bente2
    Things christians should stop telling me

Things atheists shouldn't tell christians
    God is real
    You'll go to hell if you don't believe
    Faith in yourself is wrong, place it into god instead
    You should not look like that
    You should not do that

Fuck off, I'll tell christians whatever the fuck I want because all of the above is true. (Except maybe the parent one)
    Is this still revelant?
    • That really doesn't add much to the conversation. It sounds more like a knee-jerk response that resulted from triggering.

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    I just want people on both sides to not be dicks to each other
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

36
  • ladsin
    1.) The morality bit. Most Christians I've met believe in divine command theory, that something is moral or immoral because God says so. I find this to be an amoral philosophy because the individual is not acting as a moral agent, they are merely following a set of commands and not morally evaluating them. Most atheists in contrast believe that morality is relativistic and that what is deemed to be moral changes from place to place and throughout time. This is simply a fact. I however am a complex consequentialist and I think if you structure morality as dealing with human well-being you then have an objective standard to evaluate an actions morality.

2.) Don't really disagree with much here. Most people believe in what they do because of their parents or society as a whole. There are exceptions but the vast majority just follow.

3.) you're correct. We're born with natural cognitive mechanisms that predispose us to a belief in the supernatural (natural belief in disembodied minds, tendency to attribution errors etc), although it is important to note that we are not born with any religious ideas. Religion hijacks these natural mechanisms and gives us an "answer." For why we feel the way we do.

4.) The confusion about this is caused because in Hitler's public life he was a Christian. He talked about Jesus, his creator, and all sorts of other religious things all the time, but in his private life it appears that he was actually not. I don't think it particularly matters whether he was Christian himself, but that he was able to use the religion to convince people to do horrific things.
  • Rissyanne
    They also love calling anyone who believes in religion stupid. Then they get hostile... I know I work with one. He can get very nasty. But I am sure not all are like that.
    • Anonymous

I might address that one in the next 4 queustions. Actually there's a lot that proves the opposite. 8 of the 10 smartest people in the world are Theists. 6 are Christian but as far as I understand. one of the other 2 became Christian a few years ago.
      www.scottmsullivan.com/.../

• Rissyanne

I am just telling you my experience. Besides being a Christian is about faith... not IQ

• Anonymous

I agree except on the definition of faith. Belief cannot be held without certain understandings of the world. I believe in things because of evidence but I have no issues for those who don't

• JRICHARDS1996
    To add to the Hitler conundrum, he also exhibited a massive obsession with the occult. I saw a documentary about it once, but basically he even planned key battles to correspond with significant dates relating to the occult and neopaganism. He also funded expeditions to uncover important relics from pagan holy sites to the Christian holy grail. He was looking for a good luck charm to turn the War in his favor, opposed to any real solutions.
  • true_love_lover18
    Look man, I know you're frustrated. I have the exact opposite situation as you actually. The only non believer in a family of Christians. I just wish we could all be kind to each other and accept each other as we are
  • JenSCDC
    "Religion is about Believing in Something Without Any Evidence" Isn't believing something without any evidence the definition of faith?
    • Anonymous

nope, beliefs are impossible to have without some valid foundation of the world. "lack a belief" isn't exactly a better argument of substance. "lacking a belief" simply means you don't have any collective knowledge to form any opinion about anything. I. e a vegetable or someone in a coma.

We don't claim there are aliens in space somewhere without any basis for that belief. We understand that life exists on earth which provides the foundation for searching for it elsewhere. Interestingly, there once wasn't any desire to study the universe in the atheist community, because there was no reason to believe that there was any order in order for study of the universe to make sense. I mean why would it... Until borrowing from a religion framework, it didn't go very far.

• Righttobeararms83
    Some Atheists follow atheism as a religion and are fanatical shitting on other people's beliefs, guys like Richard Dawkins.
  • OfDeath
    But you can't ask a baby whether it believes in god or not so that study is obvious bull crap. What a waste of all that money.
    They could've just given it to me.
    • Anonymous

most atheists wouldn't really take a thorough approach to that question to begin with. They just dismiss and claim everyone is born an atheist. The study found that children and babies have a tendency to see things through the lens of creation, that everything has a purpose.

The odd thing with atheism is it's a position that requires one to take a presumption on the basis of non evidential belief that the world and reality conforms to atheism. Most of these questions are dismissed before they are asked

• OfDeath

How can one assess whether or not a baby who cannot speak believes in god or not?

• Anonymous

clearly stated in my answer and in the study. You don't ask animals questions when you do studies on them. The ability to vocalise an answer isn't how we form results... vocalised opinions can often be wrong too. They evaluated their lens of reality through how they studied them.

• Adigelunar
    .. Good post
  • Anonymous
    "But atheistic foundations of morality (to defiine the terms good and bad) have yet to have a solid grounding."
    Umm, yeah they do? Evolution?

We're no more born atheists than animals a atheistic. Newborns and animals are incapable of belief, that's the difference. But older humans having a predisposition to believe doesn't mean anything.