Stop Skinny Shaming!

Stop Skinny Shaming!

Skinny Shaming

This is my topic for today . Yeah it's a real thing and it happens. Buckle up because I'm about to start. I'd firstly like to say that I have nothing against people who are not exactly the skinniest, my problem is when people start shaming you for being skinny. Up next I'm going to give five reasons or scenarios in which skinny shaming happens but shouldn't.

1. Shopping

Stop Skinny Shaming!

It's so grueling that people simply assume that you fit into everything and everything looks good on you just for the fact that you're skinny. Also people never take into account how bad it feels when clothes sag on you or when they slide right off, despite it being the smallest size that the store caters.

2. Picking Fat people up by putting Skinny people down

Stop Skinny Shaming!

Skinny women are real women! You don't have to say that we aren't just to spread body positivity to women who are thick or fat. If they aren't comfortable in their own skin why should they have the right to make us uncomfortable in ours? Most of us didn't choose to be skinny. We were born that way and there isn't much that we could do to change our complexion or metabolism. All women are real women, doesn't matter your size or measurements.

3. All skinny people are on some sort of crazy diet or are starving themselves

Stop Skinny Shaming!
Stop Skinny Shaming!

Personally I'm skinny. My size ranges from 2-6 mostly because of my bust since it's a 36C and I eat whatever the hell I want. I'm not going to deny the fact that anorexic people exist but all skinny people aren't anorexic. Most of us achieve our body naturally or through working out and mantaning a healthy food regime. I'm so tired of having the words toothpick, plank, skin and bones and so on thrown at me. Don't put people down to feel better about yourself.

4. Why would a man want skin and bones?

Stop Skinny Shaming!

It's this type of comments that hurt the most. Would you like to be reminded that no one will ever want you just for the way you look? I bet that you wouldn't. Why is it okay to put skinny people down simply for the fact that we look different from thick or fat girls? It's incredible the amount of doble-standards that we live in. If a thick or fat girl is shamed then everyone is outraged at the person who did it, but if a skinny girl's shamed no bats an eye. Why should we take all of the shit that is dished out on being skinny?

5. Skinny girls have it easier

Stop Skinny Shaming!

Truth is that we don't have it easier. We suffer from societal pressures, low-self-esteem, self-doubt, self-consciousness, and so on same as any other person would. Being skinny isn't easier. Like everything it has its pros but it's not all chocolate and rainbows.

That being said, I love my body and this take isn't to say other wise. My purpose in this is to say that we should stop the shaming. Fat shaming and skinny shaming, because attacking eachother solves nothing. What is so wrong with having a different type of body? That just makes it all the more interesting and beautiful. If you love it there's nothing wrong with it.

I hope this didn't offend anyone because that wasn't my intention at all. If so I'm sorry, but this is my opinion and I have a right to say what ever I want to say. I don't care if I receive backlash. I said what was on my mind and it doesn't really matter what is said negatively about it. However I do hope that people reflect on this and think of how they've been acting towards others.

3549

Most Helpful Guy

• Body shaming is wrong, period. I am particularly sympathetic on this issue because I have been "skinny shamed" myself.

Most Helpful Girl

• Body shaming in general needs to stop. I never understood why it was so easy for women to tear each other down. We're not all going to be the same size. And that's ok. Learn to love the skin your in. Skinny. Curvy. Fat. Whatever.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 48

• What does someone do that causes you to feel shame? I don;t understand. I get this argument all the time about slut shaming. I have never chased after a girl to tell her that I think she's a slut. However, if I express an opinion about slitty behavior, I get accused of "SLUT SHAMING!!!" I haven't done anything to cause anyone any shame. I have only formed private opinions but, apparently, there is a move afoot to make having unauthorized and unapproved private opinions illegal.

• by the way, my girlfriend is a size 2 and she looks just fine to me!

• You said people assume "Southern ways" means racism

• @ronaldo75 Not germane, but if you want to discuss it. . .

"The south is proud of it's history with racism." The South is a very diverse region. Actually, all Southerners do not believe the same things. Any notion that we all ascribe to the same beliefs is horribly simplistic. Prior to the Civil War, there were large portions of the South that opposed slavery, and portions of the North which supported slavery because Northern textile manufacturers made huge profits because of the artificially cheap price of cotton. Abraham Lincoln did not strongly oppose slavery but used abolition for political posturing with Europe.

"Northerners at least have the decency to pretend they're not racist." If you truly believe that constitutes decency, there is no reason to continue this discussion.

• I'm sick of hearing about things like this.

1: Too fat, too skinny, doesn't matter. There is a reason the word "too" is being used. It's pointing at an extreme that we don't want to see. It's not healthy to be that skinny. If people are telling you to gain weight but you still have anxiety to be skinny, that's your fault. Not ours.

2: "Most of us did not choose to be skinny"? Bullshit. No one is naturally that skinny without doing it voluntarily. If you are skinny enough to have it commented on then you are too skinny and probably could benefit from eating healthier.

3: People still fat "shame" all the time.

4: If eating healthy and working out are things you do, no one will comment on how skinny you are. Meaning you have over done it or done it incorrectly to get that skinny.

5: Some men like thinner women. I don't mind what size you are, as long as you aren't one of the extremes. If someone is commenting on how skinny you are, you are probably too skinny! How many times must I say it?
    Also, we love thick women, not fat women. Don't confuse the two.

6: No one is shaming, or at least what you interpret as shaming isn't. It's merely an opinion, a critique. Again, everyone faces pressure and anxiety. I feel I need to lose my belly considering the rest of me is muscle. It wouldn't be shaming me if it was the truth.

• 🙄🙄🙄 it's because of people like you that I wrote this take. Let's get one thing straight I never said anything against thick and curvy girls. Secondly never said that fat shaming wasn't a thing, not my fault that you didn't read the whole take.

I always get the typical "you're so skinny, how do you do it?" And the "you must be on a diet" and let's not forget the "you have a blessed metabolism" , things that are always said to me despite my averaging weight being 110-120 depending on the day. I am not "too skinny" and if my thinness is something that people notice it's because it's a noticeable quality and a striking feature. Also I've always been skinny I've never been on ANY type of diet. When I was a kid I was 60-90 pounds and when got into high school I was 100-110 pounds and since then my weight has averaged around 110-120. My measurements are not one of a girl that's "too thin" being 36/25/35.5 and over all I don't look like I'm "too thin".

• Not everyone's case is the same as yours and I didn't have an "unimportant complain", most girls and guys found truth in what I said. So how can it possibly be "unimportant"? If you considered the Mytake such a waste of time and such an "unimportant" thing then why'd you comment at all?

• yes they do comment if you're naturally skinny! for example: ME!

• I think we ought to encourage healthy living. There is a point at which a woman is so skinny she doesn't seem healthy and there is a point at which a woman is so fat that she doesn't seem healthy. I personally prefer larger women because they tend to give better hugs. I've got nothing against skinny women, of course they're people just like anyone else. Even so I've seen many more hostile skinny women than hostile fat women. I've seen many women say shit like "If you're any fatter than me (they are toothpicks) then you should just go die because you're completely worthless). That's the kind of bull I don't like to see from either group. Shaming one direction or the other is not okay, we ought to encourage people to simply be healthy. Don't be proud of your body if you aren't doing anything to take care of it. It's like a college kid being proud of how messy their dorm is. It's not okay to be proud of an unhealthy lifestyle or body, we ought to strive to be healthy people. Not fitness nuts, or obsessed with our health but we ought to strive to maintain good health.

• Stop being so fragile. I get tired of seeing these whiny takes on here, everybody has something to complain about, but it annoys me even more when people complain that people "shame" them for things that are positives. I've seen takes about "fit-shaming", some guy complaining about how terrible it is to be attractive, now you're talking about "skinny-shaming" on women, as if being slim as a woman isn't desirable. Jesus Christ.

• First off I never said being slim was undesirable, did you not read the part where I said that I love my body. If it came across to you as whining then that wasn't what I meant. I was simply bringing up points on something that has happened to me my whole life. People telling you that you're not a real woman, that you look like a 12 year old boy, that no one will ever want you because you don't have a fat ass, and so on. I don't have a reason to whine really. The pros are good. Abs in a month (two month if you want them rock hard), eat whatever I want, don't really have to work out and I could go on. My take was to say that people should stop making us villans for something that should be a blessing but half of the time feels like a curse. As I said in point 2 people really need to stop making skinny as being inferior and curvy/thick to be the greatest thing there ever was.

• Well to further explain my point, in a way, it kind of works like peer pressure. When are you a teenager, because again, all of these insecurities are dragged from teenagehood into adulthood. Things easily get to you. One day you're standing in the mirror and you're wondering if your boobs are too small, if your hips aren't wide enough, if you really are "too thin" and that type of stuff. Really that kind of thing doesn't bother me, I feel blessed with my body, but not all girls can say that and it's really sad that they feel that way. It's partly why many skinny girls feel insecure, unattractive, and generally undesirable. I was in another web page and there was this girl saying that she had never worn a bikini and I couldn't believe it, it sounded ridiculous. And just like her there are many others that I could tell you about.

• By then girl was very much thing which is where my outrage was coming from.

• I think skinny women have to deal with all the things that you mentioned in your post. And I totally agree that all those points (bar No. 5) ring with truth. I've heard too many times the old "Men want REAL women" as if skinny women aren't real women. *rolls eyes*

However, I will have to disagree with Point Number 5. When you add up all the pros and all the cons, skinny women DO have it easier THAN fat women. Why? Skinny women fit society's ideal. Do skinny women catch flak for it and have to take shit from some quarters? Definitely. But it isn't anywhere near the vicinity all the crap that fat women have to take. If I were a woman, I know which body type I'd rather have to get by in society.

• I guess I agree with you with what you said about number 5, the pros are pretty good. My take was really to say that people should stop making us villains for something that half of the time feels like a curse. And by people I mean thick/ curvy and fat girls, because most of the hate that skinny girls receive aren't even from men obviously. It's all from thick / curvy women that think that by putting us down they're making us seem less attractive or fighting "fire with fire". Because apparently hating on fat girls is something that skinny girls do. I for one have never done that because my sisters are thick/ curvy and I would never say something to shame them or make them self-conscious. Same as they would never do that to me. Really this whole competition thing between women has to die already. As a united front we could do so much more.

• @simplyrandomgirl I agree. We should all stop the body shaming. Just live and let live. Life is too short to waste on negative things like body shaming. Let us work instead to raise people up, instead of tearing them down.

• I feel like it's all depends on the personality. By that I mean you can be fat and ashamed and skinny and ashamed. If your ego isn'tthe best you may compare yourself to others and find flaws. We are our own worst critic.

• Thank you for this!!! Many girls need to read this!! You have promoted a lot of healing here! Again thank you!

• Aww sorry you have to go through this. If it makes you feel any better, the last girl I dated was really skinny (and 3 inches taller than me o_o). Even when she had anorexia from being shamed at school (I was in college because I am a year older than her), I still tried my best to contact her as much as possible despite the fact that she would constantly break contact because she was so depressed. She is still one of the most beautiful women I know. Nowadays we broke up, but we are still friends. Hon, I think you should be proud of yourself because your satisfaction comes from how you view yourself, not how others see you.

• Thanks for your opinion! I am proud of my body and I love it , especially now that I'm working out more than I did last year and I'm starting to look how I always wanted to. I'm sorry that your ex-girlfriend want through that, it is a horrible mental disorder and sickness, and I could never imagine how she was feeling to go down that path. Thanks for your wise advice and I hope she gets better!

• She is much better now, thanks for your concern. I feel especially sympathetic towards skinny people over fat people because typically being skinny isn't always a choice and sometimes being skinny is just genetics. I myself am more slim than skinny to be honest, so I have never been insulted weight wise. But I can understand how you feel :)!

• I agree. We should praise skinny people. So long as they aren't legitimately underweight, as that causes health issues.

Likewise, we should encourage fat people to lose weight, rather than attacking them for it. No one should be attacking anyone.

But we should never approve of fat as a sexy or desireable thing. You wouldn't praise a smoker for destroying their lungs. So why would we praise a fat person for destroying their arteries? Being overweight causes a host of health issues and diseases.

The approach to that shouldn't be shame, but concern for their health and encouragement to maintain a healthier weight. Underweight or overweight.

• Uhhh... the only idiots who "skinny shame" are 1) other girls who are 2) fat. and 3) just jealous of the skinny girl.

Sooo...

• I agree... Most are just jealous but seriously it's annoying and tiresome to see how petty and stupid it can get 🙄🙄🙄

• @Unit1 Whatttt on Earth are you talking about. How did we get on that. We're talking about your dad telling you you're too skinny.

• Skinny shaming, remember?

• Show more from Guys
    38

What Girls Said 34

• This. I especially hate the term "real women". Like real women have curves, real women have some fat, real women look like this and real women do that. No, real women do whatever the fuck they want and look however the fuck they want. I'm a very real woman, with some very real small tits and very real small buttcheeks. It's absurd how some thicker gals (and some other people in general) complain about society not accepting them for how they look, but then turn around and in the same breath complain about how skinny girls aren't "real" and that we're "anorexic" or "unhealthy".

Once I got past the weird growing stage as a kid, I've been skinny pretty much entire life. Sometimes I've been pretty unhealthy when not eating well and not exercising, and other times I've been working out regularly and eating healthy. My body has stayed pretty much the same, and the change has felt more internal than external (more strength, more energy, feeling healthier and happier etc). But people have aaaalways felt the need to comment on what I look like. How skinny my legs are, how narrow my waist is, that I look like I should eat more, that I look "anorexic", questioning my eating habits etc. What's even more hurtful is that these comments would more often than not come from my own friends and family, and would be cloaked as "concern" rather than flat out judgment or rudeness. Except for the fact that they always SEE me eat, they see my portion sizes, and it's not like I run to the bathroom every time I've eaten something either. But that didn't matter because I still look skinny and *something* simply must still be wrong with me.

Great take. Thanks for sharing.

• The only decent point on here is number 2 but everything you listed isn't skinny shaming. How is it skinny shaming that skinny/thin people have an easier time finding clothes than someone who is 200lbs?

• That's not the point at all... You missed entirely, by a long shot. The point of the mytake was to say, and I quote, "My purpose in this is to say that we should stop the shaming. Fat shaming and skinny shaming, because attacking eachother solves nothing. What is so wrong with having a different type of body? That just makes it all the more interesting and beautiful. If you love it there's nothing wrong with it." So really you just went by the tangent and a not so important detail/example which you got entirely wrong also.

• All I care about his health. As long as the people are healthy and fit enough I have no problems. Don't care if the woman is skinnier or thicker. To me, it's all about not being unhealthily thick of skinny. Once you reach the point where you are, I won't shame but I won't support it either. You're a hazard to yourself and it doesn't need to be glamorized. It needs to be fixed. When health and happiness is there I think all is well.

• Fantastic MyTake! There are plenty of times I’ve gone shopping and the salesperson says “You’re so tiny! I bet everything looks good on you!”
    Yeah I am very petite. It is actually hard to find clothes that fit me everywhere, I could try on clothes at 10 different stores and walk away with nothing.

• I relate so badly. Usually I get clothes that somewhat fit and and up getting them tailored.

• Yeah! Tops may be too big on my narrow shoulders, but too tight across my chest. Or I find ankle length jeans, but it sags at the butt. I've learned not to buy clothes unless they fit 100% cause tailors are expensive.

• I'm envious of slimmer and naturally thin women. I used to be and well I'm not anymore. would I trade my body now possibly especially since I have a bad back and I struggle to exercise.
    But I get your pain and misery from the reoccurring insults you face.
    I'm sorry. I really am just try and learn to love the skin your in. and remember there are women dying to have a body like yours and most bitch to make themselves feel better. X

• Thank you! I do love my body which used to be kind of a struggle because I felt like I was never enough, but once I came to peace with my body I learned how to get comfortable in it and eventually love it. Thank you sm though!

• Or, we can all grow thicker skin and stop expecting assholes to stop being assholes. Just tell them what for and move on, not approving of their antics isn't going to make them stop, getting in their faces is more likely to do that.

• Haha I love your comment because it's so true. I usually try to avoid confrontation though because when I get hot headed it's like a bull seeing red and it's kind of hard to stop. So usually I avoid confrontation because if not I'm going to go off on that person.

• What's hilarious to me is how socially offensive it is to call someone overweight, but calling them too skinny isn't. It feels equally as offensive, because it usually is.

• I think a lot of the skinny shaming people wish they could be the same way instead of looking like 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack and constantly having to work out to keep the weight off. And some people like my aunt, can eat anything they want and never gain any weight. She always said she had a straight gut - food went in and straight out, no loitering in the gut allowed.

• Body shaming needs to stop completely!! If it doesn't effect your life then why feel the need to comment on it. No matter if your skinny, curvy, overweight, whatever! Love the skin your in. Great take!! X

• @simply random
    Hey, I feel you 100 percent! I have been both thick and skinny. When I lose weight from being a size 12 and go down to a size 6, my mother tells me I look great. But then tells my family that I look like i will blow away in the wind. She used to accuse me of doing drugs to lose weight. But every summer my body tends to drop about 20 lbs and pack it back on in the winter. Im not trying to accomplish this, it's just how I've been a long time. Im now 38 and had c sections so when I lost weight this time I was excited to finally not be asked if I'm pregnant (which happened often, tho im not pregnant). It just feels like hate and I can't win. When im larger, she says things like " ... your rings would be bracelets on kiki " (very petite best friend) and so yes, it's unkind and hurtful, esp from people who are supposed to be supportive.

• Damn, that's horrible coming from your own family... I'm glad this resonated with you so people can see that it's a real thing and that it does happen. Although I am sad that you had to go through it... Best wishes though!

• Thank you. Best wishes to you as well and I appreciate the post.

• Show more from Girls
    24