Why I try to never mock others or call them names

Nowadays, everyone has a camera in their pocket. Most people's first instinct once they see something interesting or relatively strange is to whip out that camera phone, start filming, and post on social media. Sometimes, it's a positive contribution; contributions that promote happiness, goodness, and kindness.

I present to you: Exhibit A:

My philosophy is to only use my camera phone for documentation that is absolutely necessary. Some of the footage in the previous video was that of security and dashcam footage. In others, it was shot by bystanders who are unable to help otherwise. In these situation, that footage may be helpful by providing legal documentation, or future teaching material.

Unfortunately, there are times where people film other strangers and events with the goal of mocking them. I understand that there are people who exhibit unusual behavior out in public. Sometimes, their behavior is bizarre. I'm not particularly against using a smart phone or video camera to document such things. The question is, however, where is the priority? Where is the empathy? What is the goal?

Here is an interesting example of an attempt to capture a viral moment, and many people mocked the man who is the focus of the video. Suffice to say, many people went on the mock the man in the video.

A New Jersey man was filmed on a transit train shaving. Many people mocked him and made fun of him online. (See article and video here). Little did they know, he was homeless and had just left a homeless shelter. According to the article mentioned previously, he has been homeless on and off, and has medical issues that include experiencing a stroke or more. His brother explained that because of that, he exhibits impulsive behavior.

The good news however, is that when people found out more about his background, and a GoFundMe campaign was started to help him get back on his feet. While the goal was to rais $35,000, it was exceeded and it is now at $36,430 while I was writing this take.

I will now invoke the Golden Rule. Imagine that you got sick and had a stroke. You became homeless, and your life is more difficult than that of the average citizen. On top of that, you find out that people were making fun of you because someone recorded you doing something unusual. I think that's what they call "insult to injury". How would you feel?

Again, my issue isn't that people thought that his behavior was unusual. The problem is that he was mocked online by people who don't know who he is or what his situation was. The people who mocked him might have done something bad, but that doesn't mean that they are necessarily bad people.

Here is another example where a man mocked a very young Hasidic Jewish child because of his appearance: Article available here. This situation is a little different because it's one man who mocked the child, and after facing some backlash, he apologized. I think it's good that he apologized, but he admitted that he should have just waited a few seconds to think before he acted.

Here's the thing: So what if the kid looked unusual to you? It's bad enough to openly mock an adult like that, but that's a little child. Talk about poor judgement.

Virtually all of us feel the urge to make fun of others or mock them. That's not unusual. However, strongly and actively suppress that urge. I try to avoid name-calling and mockery in situations like those mentioned previously because I try to put my self in someone else's shoes. I wouldn't want to be mocked by people who don't understand my situation.

Unfortunately, the advances in technology allows for misuse and abuse. How many people lost their jobs, or ended friendships over sharing a stupid video or a short tweet? Because that is always a possibility, it is one of the reasons why I strongly guard my identity online, and my interactions on social media are kept at a minimum and provided very, very carefully.

Bottom line, my advice is, just try to be nice to each other, even to people who do not reciprocate that.

1412

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 14

• People like to tramp on others to raise themselves up, often people never leave that school yard mentality behind.

• And you didn't? You mocked Serena.

• Oh! I remember this now! I read that take and agreed with you. You were criticizing her, and I agreed with you.

@NEOTUNIA2U Criticism =/= mockery (at least not always)

• 4d

Believe what you want to believe. She was a fake profile anywayz.

• The goal might be to hurt others (if they're hurting, themselves; they don't have a high opinion of themselves, etc.) It's like "misery loves company". The problem is; it ultimately doesn't make the person feel better but, rather, worse - when they ridicule, try to embarrass others, etc. Unfortunately, they often don't get that.
    Good article. :)

• This is a heartwarming Take!! I agree!

People who mock others are insecure bullies. I loathe people like that!

• Be careful pointing fingers when you do the same on the sly.

• I have mocked people in my day. It's not right, I was wrong, and I'm not proud of it. That's why I explicitly said that I TRY to never do that, not that I never do so absolutely. I also made it clear that the people who mocked the man on the train aren't necessarily bad people, and that the guy who mocked the little kid apologized and did the right thing afterwards. Nobody is perfect, we all have our moments of poor judgement, and our behavior is influenced by our particular circumstances.

• Thanks! I do too. That's why I wrote this take. I read the article about the guy shaving on the train, and I thought it could be a teachable moment. It's not really my intention to shame people who mocked others in poor judgement, but rather provide a reminder as to why we shouldn't be doing that.

• True. I saw one about the homeless lady who was giving her self grooming bath outside while It was raining. It was heartwrenching to see others making fun of her too.

• I never try to mock people cause they may come after you one day... as a stalker, killer, or your future boss

• I think that they are lovely acts of kindness, but nothing extraordinary. Over the past year, I have done at least a handful of these acts. E. g. saved a turtle from the side of the road, and dropped it off at the nearest creek. Help a old lady who fell onto the road. Helped a guy sleeping rough. Etc.

It’s our duty to not be a drain, and a waste of space on our community and to help out and give back when we can. It’s is far from ok to mock people! What right do we have to do harm to other people! None!

• Beautiful Love
    Great great mind set I adore your outlook

• You’re a good person. We need more like you.

• Good take

• Good take

• Interesting

• Kind hearted and honest. Great mytake

• it's okay to mock people. it;s natural

• Indeed it is, but I don't think it's OK. It's like drought: It's natural, and it happens, but it's not OK.

• I loved this take.

What Guys Said 12

• Great thoughts. I wonder how many of these people would be willing- or even able- to stop recording, put down their phones and actually help in a rescue, etc. if asked.

• Due to the bystander effect, unfortunately, not many, and at the least not enough.

• Good take, I will try to think more about what I post and if I hurt someone's feelings, before I post.

• great! Do you know how to give CPR

• Thanks. Indeed, I do. Why do you ask?

• Just so, I think that's also a part of basic literacy for anyone actually. You can learn it on you tube if nothing right

• keyboard warriors and bullies

• Indeed. Of course, no one can bully you with their keyboard warrior skills if they don't know who you are.

"Anonymity... is like a warm blanket." - Max from Mission Impossible (Movie)

Of course, the except would be if you're dealing with a hacker who is able to identify and dox you. That's the kind of world that we live in.

• i wish i was born to be nice like you

good take

• Thanks, but I mostly don't think that people are born to be nice. Nice people are mostly made, not just born.

• 0|1
  • This is good advice.

• Interesting

• nice take

• I mock people who mock if it's isn't justified.

• So, you're mocking the mockers? It might be OK on a case-by-case basis, but wouldn't mocking mockers make you a mocker as well, and therefore worthy of mock by mockers?

• He who mocks mockers runs the risk of becoming a mocker himself. When you stare into the schoolyard, the schoolyard stares back.

• @Wammu It's not gonna be justified if I just mocked right away. It has to be a last resort in order for it to be justified.

• Another left wing snowflake. This is TRUMP'S America. It's OUR time. Go feel up a black, transgendered thing and it's black-loving gutter slut, white girl.

• Good take!