Serena Williams Lost Because of Sexism!!

During the final of the US open 36 year old Serena Williams frustrated about losing to 20 year old Naomi Osaka displayed very aggressive abusive behaviour towards the matches umpire Carlos Ramos when he called her out on cheating by receiving coaching, which her coach admitted. After that she repeatedly spent the match hurling abuse at the umpire implying he was sexist. She later called being punished for cheating and breaking the rules as sexist.

Some may call out John McEnroe but that was 30 years ago, he paid multiple bad conduct fines, but was disqualified only once, from the 1990 Australian Open.

One player was expelled from the 2017 U.S. Open: Fabio Fognini, for calling a chair umpire a “whore” and worse in Italian during a losing match.
He also was fined $96,000 and threatened with banishment from Grand Slam events if he didn’t quit acting like a punk on the court.

Serena Williams has had several memorable meltdowns at the Open. The worst was in 2009, when she loomed over a diminutive line judge shouting, “I swear to God, I’m f—ing going to take this f—ing ball and shove it down your f—ing throat.” Game, set and match to Belgium’s Kim Clijsters. Afterward, Serena said the line judge was foolish to fear her, as she’s never been a violent person.
Other players, including Venus Williams, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Rafael Nadal and Nick Kyrgios, have complained on court after receiving code violations from Carlos Ramos.
Include a caption for your image…

Williams is a 36-year-old tour veteran. She’s supposed to know the rules. She’s also, however — like a lot of tennis professionals — a pampered childhood prodigy who travels the world in a celebrity bubble, surrounded by flunkies, protected by money, and tempted to self-dramatize.

Serena Williams and those that defend her behaviour on the court represent the worst aspects of feminism which promotes that women are forever the perpetual victims in their own live, basically their message is when women lose its sexism. Truth is a younger player was better on the day and Serena couldn't handle it.

Time for Serena Williams to drop the false sexism allegations and her melodrama, admit thst she was wrong and apologise to Carlos Ramos, Naomi Osaka and America.

3471

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 71

• 7d

Unfortunately, we live in a culture which promotes and rewards "victims" for whining and complaining as long as they are a member of any minority group. This reveals the worst racism in our culture: the leftists who are afraid to allow minorities to be judged on their merits and who clamor to find any reason to excuse their performance.

• 6d

While she does come across as a bit pampered, I also feel like people are reading way too much into this whole incidence. I don't believe any of it had to do with sexism or with feminism. It's much more simple.
    1) Serena Williams seems to have a rather fiery temper. I think we can forgive her for that, there's millions of other people just like her.
    2) If you're at the very top, the air becomes very thin. This is true literally as well as metaphorically for sports. Despite being rich and famous (pampered), professional athletes also stand under enormous pressure that most normal people can't even imagine. On the one hand, there's your celebrity status, which may sound attractive to us normies but it can actually become quite exhausting quite fast. On the other hand, a lot of people have a lot of expectations of you. There's your sponsors who expect you to win, your friends and family, your coach who puts so much work and time into you... . I think it's easy for us to laugh about these people because we don't know what their life is like. Even just the traveling: again, this may sound cool for us (yay, travel around the world!) but it's probably extremely tiring. You constantly need to move places, everyone wants something from you and when you get to a new place, you can't do any sightseeing anyway. I imagine that Williams but also her fellow professional athletes are oftentimes running on their last drops of gas, so to speak. And this becomes even more true when you're 36. You're not as resilient anymore as you used to be with 20 - physically and emotionally.
    In this context, I don't find it surprising that some professional athletes lose it every once in a while. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. So, I don't think this sexism-comment should be dissected so much. She was angry, maybe also a bit humiliated because she was caught and she knew millions of people were watching her. In that moment, she probably just wanted to piss off the referee and guilt-trip him into taking back his decision. I doubt her comment was based on any substantial contemplations on feminism or sexism.

• 7d

i don't think people are saying she lost due to sexism. i think people are saying the treatment by umpire may have sexist notions at its core or people's criticisms of her may come with sexist notions because of the difference in critiques of men who have done the same thing

i don't support her actions but i haven't seen it suggested that she lost DUE to sexism... but perhaps i'm wrong

• 7d

It's been suggested everywhere. If the umpire was a woman would it be sexist then?

• 7d

i understand the circumstances. did i suggest she didn't cheat? did i suggest that it was sexist?

i frankly don't care. her actions are a disgrace unto her. it's a little strange that they've caused such an uproar but oh well. maybe i don't care enough about tennis or serena williams to be bothered by it

• 7d

I think there's a real attempt to spin in in favour of Serena Williams and frame it as sexism. Many feminists have the mantra of supporting famous feminists no matter what but anyone who actually watched it and saw the match knows it's not true.

• 7d

Where did she make it about sexism? Can you point to an actual quote by Serena that made it about sexism? Online trolls have certainly tried to turn into a sexism issue, but I haven't seen any evidence that Serena herself has done it.

• 6d

Wow, yea, that's pretty bad. It clearly had nothing to do with sexism but she wanted to play identity politics get what she wanted. It isn't too surprising though because that is increasingly becoming the go to excuse for people.

Didn't land that job? "It's cause I am a woman". Received a negative performance evaluation at your job? "It's cause I am a woman". It seems to be an increasingly popular excuse from what I have observed and the support behind Williams right now shows that it is an increasingly effective excuse.

• 6d

Exactly right.

• 6d

I don't really follow tennis so cannot say what the norms are but I read somewhere a couple male players said they had similar or worse meltdowns without receiving the same treatment and if that is true that is a not good double standard
    While I cannot say if it really is the case here it is indeed something I have seen before the reactions to women have a tantrum vs men having a tantrum is often different not that it is ok to throw a tantrum in any case

• 6d

There was a guy last year that got thrown out for the same thing abusing a female umpire. Even McEnroe was given penalties, fines suspensions and thrown out.

• 6d

I think if a man behaved the way Serena did he'd be thrown out. Like in 2009 she threatened a female official by saying I swear to God, I’m f—ing going to take this f—ing ball and shove it down your f—ing throat." Now if a man had threatened that the police would have been called.

• 6d

It is possible I don't really know
      The question is not of what would happen to 1 but if you took 100 incidents with men and 100 with women how many men would end up being thrown out vs how many women
      Again I don't follow tennis so I can't say what the norm is there
      But you do point at a different double standard there though
      A man is more likely to suffer negative consequences from threats of violence than a woman but that is another question I guess

• 7d

She deserved what she got. Her behaviour was outrageous, unbecoming and not what you would expect on one of tennis's biggest stages from it's biggest star. Last time I checked, the opponent was a woman too. She didn't seem to have any problem with the umpire. Should we suggest that Serena is racist because she disrespected her Japanese opponent?

• 6d

That had nothing to do with that, that was a lame duck excuse just to get out of the loss because the judge took a game away from her. You see where she was fined didn't you? and the fine still stands

• 6d

I'm beginning to think few people read my take

• 5d

You did tiger

• 5d

Yeah that was what I was saying

• 7d

Great post! I haven't fully looked into the whole Serena Williams situation but from what I'd heard from other people it is just as you say: another example of people shouting "sexist" while they themselves basically saying that she deserves special treatment because she is a woman.

• 6d

NO NO NO, She is a bigot , sorry to say but she was well out of order , the umpire was doing his job , if she had problem lodge a complaint ,, or appeal. Not going screaming and being abusive which only creates more of a problem for her. If she had done that to me I would have disqualified her from the match …….

• 6d

I agree with you. And all of this melodrama from Serena Williams is a shame, because she is the greatest women's tennis player of all time. I wonder why she doesn't see how these abusive tantrums affect her legacy. She may be the greatest women's player of all time, but she is not above the rules.

• 6d

Serena lost because Serena lost. She was not as good as the girl - repeat GIRL subject to that same "sexism" - who defeated her.

The judge followed the letter of the law and she got burned for it. In fairness, it isn't so much sexism that penalized her as much as way too many male tennis players got away with abuse that they should have been penalized on.

• 6d

I can handle the Serena Williams shit but what's unconscionable is that the WTA sided with her instead of backing the umpire. They don't even respect their own rules.

• 7d

If Serena was playing against a guy and the ref was calling things against her that he was letting go against the guy than maybe. Since she was playing a girl so since two women were playing each other and the other woman KICKED HER ASS (it wasn't even close) it can't be sexism that he makes a judgment against ONE of the TWO women. Can the other claim sexism if she wants those calls to be made but feels the ref is letting her slide?

This type of stuff makes it tougher to have REAL, LEGIT cases of sexism taken seriously because so many just flippantly call everything sexism.

• 7d

She got the appropriate punishment and lost fair and square. Tennis is a game of rules and accepting your penalty is a part it. I would have ejected her and dq’ed her for the whole next set. That’s what happens when an NFL or NCAA football player intentionally disrespects rules and commits two personal fouls: tThis entitlement bullshit needs to end.

• 5d

When I first saw Serena Williams and her sister Venus, they both seemed incredibly muscled-up for women. It had he thinking that there are only two ways for a girl to be that muscled-up. 1, they spend all day working out in the gym, or 2, they're taking something like steroids. Based on Serena's behavior over the years, I'm inclined to wonder about steroids.

By the way, I always thought Jimmy Conners and John McEnroe were assholes.

• 5d

Well, yeah. Didn't she lock herself in a panic room just to avoid being drug tested?

• 5d

I don't follow her too closely so I wouldn't know but genetic wise

My two brothers, sister, and I are all very small framed. My oldest brother is hella tall and super toned but still really thin (like not drug addict thin but like his bones are thinner) thebrest of us have similar builds although I'm the only short one.

My cousins who's dad is huge are all huge asf. Like they're all tall and have super large body frames and all carry quite a bit of weight. Even the girl is built like her brothers I have a more feminine body than when does

• 5d

Than she does*

• 6d

She was blinded by adrenaline and enraged that she was losing. But rules are rules. I'll agree that McEnroe should have been treated more aggressively. But alleged sexism doesn't negate the rules.

• 6d

McEnroe got fines and penalties and even thrown out for the same stuff. This isn't the first time Serena has pulled this crap.

• 6d

True enough.

• 7d

She should apologize, but her enormous ego won't let her realize she lost because another woman was better on that day. Hence she blames the umpire. Pathetic sore loser.

• 7d

Pardon my ignorance.
    Why sexism?
    She played against another woman and lost.
    Her coach said that he was giving her coaching.

• 7d

It sucks when the trump card for any consequences of bad behavior on behalf of women, is "sexism." It's more a sign of our times then a reflection of her as an individual.

If it was just her, no one would even consider her accusations legit. The fact that some do, shows it is a societal issue.

• 6d

Her behavior was really bad. She seems to exhibit excessively entitled behavior. You're not entitled to win because you're a world-renowned tennis champion and your opponent is a 20-year-old kid. She had an opportunity to set a good example and lose with grace (or even not rack up so many penalties and actually win), but she didn't.

So, she disagreed with the line judge. There's nothing wrong with that. She broke a tennis racquet? That's bad, but it happens every now and then in Tennis. She didn't lose because she's a woman. She lost because she insisted on racking up penalties. No one forced her to break the racquet, and no one forced her to argue with the line judge.

She did that to herself, and she doesn't want to take responsibility for her behavior. Simple of that.

• More from Guys
    51

What Girls Said 34

• 6d

This topic has garnered so much hate from people who refuse to see both sides to this incident. This article is very informative. Check it out. www.si.com/.../serena-williams-carlos-ramos-us-open-controversy-umpire-penalty

• 6d

With that being said, Osaka played very well when I watched the video above. I agreed with Serena saying she's proud of her and they did not boo at Osaka. Serena did show good sportsmanship and I still dont think she cheated. Serena was upset because of her experience with Ramos. He did not give fair warning to her, I think he was already biased not giving her same treatment towards a player who was a guy who obviously cheated , clearly due to the conflict he had with her sister Venus 2 years ago. Thanks for understanding. Be at Peace and stop hating.

• 6d

Are you actually 20?

• 6d

Serena Williams is remarkable because she has won 23 major tournaments in her career and probably would have won more if not for her sister Venus. Between both Williams sister's they have 8 Olympic gold medals.
      Just because I wasn't around in 1956 to see Althea Gibson win the French open doesn't mean I dont know about it.

• 6d

I am not sure what to think since things are getting out of control and women might make it worse when they think things are better.
    There was coaching going on and she did verbally abuse the umpire. I hate it when girls or people say it is sexist or racist just because things do not go their way. wow :(

• 7d

I don't know, her behavior was wrong and unprofessional. She could have handled that way better. HOWEVER, I'm still not quite sure she was actually cheating despite her coaches claims. This girl has been playing tennis for years and has been excellent despite her attitude. I don't know, she seemed genuinely pissed too. But hey, she really could have been. I'm just 50/50 on it.

• 7d

Regardless it was her coach and he was signalling. Serena's excuse later is that apprently male players do it and get away with it and that's sexism. So in fact she was cheating.

• 7d

Oh okay, well, she just fucked up her entire career. That's really sad.

• 6d

for anyone to say that had it been a man the umpire would have acted differently is absurd, how can anyone say what a person will do on the day, the umpire was in charge of this match not what McEnroe has done in the past, rules even change in the big tournaments, Wimbledon has a rule that the players must wear predominant white clothes, the others wear what they like it was bad manners and took some joy from the lovely lady that won

• 6d

No. She lost cuz she got her ass handed to her by a first timer. She just made it uglier cuz she thre a temper tantrum.

She was also fined $17000 because she did in fact violate the rules. It’s not a question of inter page actually broke rules.

• 7d

Throw some accusations of racism into the mix and you've got the perfect victim cocktail.

• 6d

I think she was in the wrong to get mad, she does have a temper. And I think she should own up to that. Congrats to the winner

I have no heard much about any sexist claims.

• 6d

Quite simply on the day the better player won.
    Either get over it or retire completely.

• 5d

She had Lost Fair and Square. However, probably a Liberal Loser, She could Not Handle the Truth. xx

• 5d

Serena lost because she just lost. Her tantrum was unnecessary, though. However, she'll bounce back. She's an incredible player.

• 7d

I know nothing about this. But thank you for inviting me.

• 5d

Umm, no she didn’t. She lost because Naomi Osaka played better than she did.

• 7d

How does this concern anyone?

• 6d

I think it concerns wide soceity that when some of our fellow women fail they blame sexism.

• 6d

Nice take

• 6d

She lost because she lost. Get over yourself

• 6d

She was disrespectful of the umpire.

• 7d

No, she lost because of her bad behavior

• 6d

Her opponent was a woman too, and half black.

• 6d

Oh no

• 6d

Cheating is cheating she shouldn't be a cry baby.

• More from Girls
    14