Why breastfeeding should be given more support.

Here's MyTake on breastfeeding mothers and why we need to be more supportive of them instead of looking at them with disgust .

First of all I believe that fed is best weather a baby drinks from a bottle or their mothers breast. It doesn't matter to me as long as both mother and baby are happy and healthy.

One thing that I'll never understand is why people think breastfeeding is gross and something to be hidden away so that no one can see. Is it merely for the reason of a woman's body and especially her breast being overly sexualized. Sure breasts are nice to look at and even more fun to touch but they actually serve as source of nutrition for a baby.

I'm going to go through a few opinions that I've seen on here.

It's fine as long as she covers herself and the baby with a blanket.

Pro : people will not be offended by the fact that a baby is fed and that they may see a little bit of boob.

Cons: baby loves making eye contact with his or her mother as they are feeding and the mother looking at her baby while it's feeding can often help her to produce more milk.

OK so that doesn't mean that she can't cover up am I right ? sure it's easy to cover up a new born baby but once they discover that they have little arms and hands that can grab at things including said blanket 😳. Next thing you know you're being confronted with the sight of a baby being fed. Yes this did happen to me on an outing with my first born but I think I was more embarrassed then the people who were around me so I got over it and kept on feeding him.

Now let's set the scene in a cafe or restaurant.

Can't she feed the baby in the toilet?

Pro: no one around her is put off their food by the sight of her nursing her baby.

Cons: toilets stink 💩😕

Her food or her tea/coffee will go cold , nursing mothers get incredibly hungry and often need a caffeine fix from all of those night time feeds.

MYTH :she could step out for a little while because breastfeeding only takes one minute or so 😕. It can take almost an hour for some babies to finish feeding. My husband used to cut my food up for me so I could eat and nurse at the same time ❤ Now that's what I call team work.

I can't pee in public so why is she allowed to breastfeed in public : Sorry but I really don't have a pro for this one .

Con: WTF pee is human waste and it stinks these two things can never be compared to each other. FYI I have never changed my child's nappy in a restaurant or cafe let alone in public.

She could express her milk for the outing.

Pro: we don't have to whiteness a baby being fed from it's mothers breast.

Con: The breast milk can turn bad if it's not stored right. All the goodness can be destroyed if it is heated up too much or even burn the poor babies mouth besides milk straight from a mother's breast is at exactly the right temperature. Missing feeds by using expressed milk can cause breast engorgement (this is painful) and puts the mother at a greater risk of getting mastitis (blocked milk ducts) also and even more painful and often requires antibiotics to clear it up.

I'll also challenge anyone here to drink a liter of water and not go for a pee for around 4 hours it hurts to have a full bladder and not being able to empty it.

I really hope that I have helped some of you who are against public breastfeeding with some useful facts about nursing mothers.

Being a new mother is quite often challenging and extremely lonely at times and I have written this Mytake from my own knowledge of motherhood .

2932

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm all for breastfeeding.
    In public? Nobody was ever hurt or blinded by a breast.

• I never could wrap my mind around this, but maybe its because nudity isn't a big deal to me. I hope the general stigma changes the same as it did in regards to showing ankles and legs.

I actually had an awkward moment with a friend and her baby while she was nursing because her breast didn't even register in my mind. I was just looking at her baby and commenting on how cute she was. Somebody else told me I was being inappropriate, and I apologized profusely.

Its a human body part. Yes, its a thing of beauty, but it also has a function that has nothing to do with sex.

Most Helpful Girls

• Nice take honey and its a really really weird behaviour of society that they love seeing breasts otherwise but in this case goes nuts and the most shocking for me is when women start getting harsh on mothers who are just trying to feed their babies, i witnessed such situation twice, once in a bus and once in starbucks and both times these mothers were trying to cover up (to which i dont insist on as if people can be alright seeing breasts otherwise then whats wrong this way) and both times a woman confronted them and asked them off, it was awful tbh

• I was fully covered up when I fed my baby in my sister in-laws lounge room and my MIL wouldn't stop complaining about it so I left and sat in my sister inlaws bedroom. It was a 40+ degree day and the lounge room was the only room in the house that was air-conditioned, I was sweating profusely while I was feeding him.

• Goshh i can never understand the thoughts and things go through woman's mind when they react like this specially when she would even ignore that its hot like hell and how both you and the baby would be uncomfortable

• I really HATE when people start saying BS about mothers who breastfeed their babies in public. Breasts were created with the purpose of feeding the baby, but there are still a lot of hypocrites who play at being "correct" and say it's wrong to show boobs... but they're completely okay when a hot woman is flashing her boobs to their own pleasure. It disgusts me.

• I'll be honest and say that there are some people out there who should have to cover themselves while they're eating because of foal eating habits that are really gross.😆

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 30

• I'm fine with it as long as you don't advertise it.

• I'm in full support of breast feeding, even in public. A child's needs override all others. Women shouldn't be shamed for making a better choice for their little one.

That and its so much more healthy over all the GMO lab made formula now days. Man can't do what nature can do.

• I agree with most of the comments , I support breast feeding its a natural part of life and when your a single mom living from check to check and can't afford a baby sitter you have to do what you have to do. To feed the child even if you are in public. If you see a pair of boobs in a low cut shirt you stair!!! IF you see a women in a dress you try to look under it. but when you see a baby getting something your not. suddenly your ALL NO BREAST FEEDING HERE..

• I'm actually fine with it but they still need some precaution tho. There are pervs out there. That's why brings one of these and your husbands with you (optional) I support it tho.

• I did not think that breastfeeding needed support to be honest.

But if thats the case let me just say ladies, you shouldn't give the slightest of care about what people have to say about this. baby needs his food when he needs it. Its something natural that just happens

Also that Joker meme was priceless

• I'll be honest. I love babies. One that's feeding is incredibly cute! but I've been given too much grief by feeding mothers for being a "pervert" to have much sympathy. On the other hand, I do so love to tear a strip off those who castigate them in public.

• It's never worried me, either way.

Thinking about it, just now, I can see why it might make some people uncomfortable that they're 'invading' the mother's privacy by being in close proximity with her.

But as long as she's OK with it, then I don't really think there's an issue?

• First off, personally, I have no problem with it. Whip em out and feed that kid. More power to ya!

Here's my take based on my experience. MOST women I know aren't that comfortable breastfeeding in public. Bottom line, if you have boobies out someone is going to look, even if you are feeding your kid. Someone will probably be offended and you are definitely going to get ogled. All the support in the world isn't going to stop this.

So do what you have to for you. I don't think it should be prohibited or illegal to feed your baby in public. In private businesses, like a restaurant, I think the ownership should have a right to make that decision.

I think this is mostly a theoretical problem. I've known lots of moms and haven't seen this be a huge issue. It's tough to go out in public with a little one anyway, and they get on a pretty regular schedule so you can plan ahead a little. Yes, it would be nice if it were more accepted, but hey, what are you going to do?

• I'm just putting my experience of motherhood out there in hope that more people will understand.
      Yes I had one friend who would sit there with her top and both sides of her nursing bra open which was unnecessary but if it's done right you don't see anything and the mother doesn't even need a blanket to cover her up.

• I think women can beat feed anywhere however I would find a secluded area or try to cover up to stop prying eyes

• I don't have a problem with it. I have a problem with it in public, and I don't care that people think im asshole that belief. You won't listen to me anyway.

For the record, I don't like the sexualization of women's clothes or media portrayal either.

• Truth is, a baby may get hungry anytime when the mother is out. The only solution for such assholes is to have the mother locked inside her home 24/7 so nobody has to witness breatfeeding. Lame.

• @SirRexington That's still public by the way only covering it. It's like changing your clothes in public only covering yourself with a cloth. What you said is you have a problem with it in public. Thats the same story.

• @Aiko_E_Lara ok then I have a problem with it not being covered.

• Yeah I loved this take it was one of the best I have ever seen. I also agree with your opinions.

• I am Always mystified as to why there is even discussion about this- breastfeeding is a baby's nourishment!

• If women are able to discreetly do it in public then I support it.

• If people are against breastfeeing, then the government can take their right to eat their food in public away from them... Guarantee that it would not take long for those people to complain about it is not fair.

• women should be able to breastfeed in public , the problem is that some men perverts find this sexual , here where i live women breastfeed in public and you won't find one man staring at her because its totally normal here.

• I totally support it. It’s natural. Baby formula is a replacement for those who can’t or won’t. It’s nothing to be ashamed of if done discreetly.

• I'm all in favor of breastfeeding in public. I just hate that there's some damn baby head blocking my view of bare nipple.

• A lot to think about there and to be honest I never would have thought about it not being a nursing home. I am not offended by breastfeeding in public but see it so rarely that it would be a headturner.
    Okay as you say it goes back to the sexualisation thing which basically claims all civilised men will be totally distracted by the sight of the naked female breast. In reality this goes back to the missionaries in the 17th and 18th centuries making natives cover up who had been dressing topless for thousands of years without societal meltdown.
    Like most societal change it will take time at a glacial pace, people in 100 years will be saying "They did what?"

• public breast feeding isn't odd if its covered up. if its in full view as if you're trying to use your baby for some cause then it's offputting

• I'm against. We have breast pumps for a reason, use them. If all else fails and your at risk of painful engorgement, cover up.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 27

• Breastfeeding is the babies most natural source of food and nourishment AND comfort... I breastfed my baby for 2+ years... he's healthy and socialized.

For all the moms who don't breastfeed- I still support you as well... We should support each other.

This post is in SUPPORT of parents who choose to breastfeed

• I breastfed my first two babies but decided not to breastfeed my third baby due to how exhausting it was for me. I did have some mothers question why I put my daughter straight onto the bottle and I responded with a "it's the best decision for my family".
      As a mother you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• AGREE... we need to support every decision... that baby is still being loved and nurtured... you're doing your best Mama!!

• Lmaonthat first point where thre baby yanks off the blanket. And i didn't knownbabies and moms wanna starre eachother down while breastfeeding. Lmao i dont even stare at my boyfriend while he sucks my tit hahahaha.

I knownits hard to use breasts pumps bt its prob the best outcome to avoid nursing in public. Im not breatsfeeding my babies. They’ll be on formula like all of my family and friends were

• And as a mother of three I support your decision to put your babies on formula because fed is best. ❤

• The reason why women can't breast feed in public or have to cover themselves when breastfeeding in public, is because there's sick men all over this world. Im not saying all men are like this, but there are a lot of them out there. This isn't to shame on the mothers for breastfeeding, its to keep them safe from these kinds of men. Like the movie, "me, myself, and irene."

• Men are sick because they find breasts appealing? That's human nature, biology, it's not a sickness.

• Lmao i remember that scene qhere he sucked her tit hahahahaha

• On here I've more so seen comments on how gross it is to look at.

• I hope seeing this from a mom's perspective, like you put here will help people change their minds.

Anyway, I strongly support breastfeeding in public. Babies are unpredictable. They don't understand shit. Baby can't think like "oh, my mom's in public she can't feed me, gotta supress my hunger"

• Honestly, I'm not even a fan of the idea of exposing boobs in public in the first place whether it's for selling a product or for feeding a baby. I think breastfeeding is something private the mother and infant and it's really valuable time that strengthens the bond between mother and child.

Even if I leave my personal opinion aside, it can be really uncomfortable cause do you really think the baby just patiently lays in mother's lap and drinks? Hell no. Some babies legit do yoga or circus while being breastfed I swear. Sometimes the babies bite on the mother's nipple and it can be so painful. Some babies do not like being covered and remove any piece of clothing from the boob by themselves. Some babies prefer to listen to stories.

When they learn to speak they ask for milk anytime anywhere and end up leaving the mother in an awkward situation sometimes. (Some people suggest to teach the kid a secret word that only the mother understands.) And pumping milk with that breast pump thing takes forever to fill even half of an small bottle and some mothers have to legit quit and squeeze out milk instead. And then it has to be fed quickly because it can go bad like you said.

Breastfeeding is really important and a mother should be able to breastfeed a child when going outside without any discomforts. I think nursing rooms should be available everywhere, like malls and café and literally any place where moms take their infants with them. If toilets can be available everywhere then why not nursing rooms? Also, people who suggest breastfeeding in toilet are crazy.

Breastfeeding is very important, especially for the first six months the baby shouldn't be fed anything else except mother's milk, ideally.

• Im all for it. I breast fed my two in public. Most people don't care but you get the odd busy body who has to loudly make a scene usually other women. Guys tend not to mind and just are nervous that you might think they are watching you in a perverted way when they are not.

• It's a choice women should be educated on it but not pushed or feel they need to becaues they will be frowned upon by society

• The lactation nurse pretty much tried to brain wash the expected mothers in the parenting class and went on about it for around 2 hours running out of time to talk about postnatal depression because apparently that's not important to know.
      I was also told off by a midwife when she found a baby bottle in my suitcase because I was trying to breastfeed but wanted a back up just in case.

• I know I think it's horrible they push it like that

• Great MyTake. It shocks me that people are so against breastfeeding just because they don’t want to see boobs in public. The child’s need to eat trumps others‘ slight discomfort.

• I would rather breast feed privately or at my home. I don't want some creepy bastards staring at my boob. I know for sure that is going to happen so I at least want privacy.

• This is nothing to spew over their guts about but people love to invest in energy being negative something that has nothing to do with them personally.

• Those are backward retards who think they have a say on how a woman should breastfeed her child in public.

• I fully support breast feeding mothers who care more about their hungry baby then what society think on how she should feed her baby in public.

• A first class, well thought out and put together MyTake. Many congratulations.

• And that's why I carry a taser. Let someone say shit about me feeding my kid 😇

• I think breastfeeding is a beautiful thing. Mothers should not be ashamed to do that, even when people find it offensive in public

• nudity isn't a big deal to me. I hope the general stigma changes the same as it did in regards to showing ankles and legs.

• Really great MyTake :) I enjoyed reading all the points you raise.

• Meh!
    People who chew with their mouths open are much more offensive.
    Ban them

• There’s nothing wrong with breast feeding in public. I have nothing against it but just use a towel or blanket to cover up. It’s not hard.

• I would rather breast feed privately or at my home.

• A new born baby needs feeding every three hours sometimes every two hours so you'd basically be stuck at home for the first 3 months.

• More from Girls
    7