Why We All Need Sadness!

Why We All Need Sadness!

Few things affects us as deeply as sadness, as sorrow. We fail, we embarrass ourselves or we fall, we loose our loved ones, or we make mistakes. So many people seek the key to lasting happiness, the secret to be joyful forever. Many of us also idolize our dreams, whether by night or daydreaming, for where could we be happier than in the place where all our secret wishes come true?

I am not always happy, I am happy, because I allow myself to be sad sometimes.
Sadness, is an emotion unlike others. You have dreams where your mind think you are the happiest, but in truth there is no real joy, only thoughts. Sadness makes us remember what is real, and what is not. It hurts, but everything will make you feel deeply when it is real. The thing about sadness is that most people think it's an abyss, and so they hold it back, they bottle it up, fight it, which only hurts. but it's not an abyss, it is a path, one which always has a light at the end of the tunnel. This is why some people say that wounds never heal or sorrow never ends, it never ends because it never comes.

It isn't a given in society today to accept sadness as a natural and good process. It is rather looked upon like something to be avoided, and stopped if it approaches.

When you learn to embrace sadness as something you need, whenever it arises, the need to cry, to feel down, lean on someone's shoulder, reflect over past tragic events, you'll grow to see just how bright the end of the tunnel is.

Why We All Need Sadness!

2033

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 20

• “Sadness is an emotion you can trust. It is stronger than all of the other emotions. It makes happiness look fickle and untrustworthy. It pervades, lasts longer, and replaces the good feelings with such an eloquent ease you don’t even feel the shift until you are suddenly wrapped in its chains.”

• 5d

Where would we be without Poe?

There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless which cannot be touched without emotion, even by the utterly lost, to whom life and death are equally jests, there are matters of which no jest can be made.

Edgar Allan Poe, The Masque of the Red Death

• 5d

Well, that is a very interesting myTake.

I don't feel the same way about everything you said, but I still like many of the things you said :)

• 5d

Wow this was depressing, and made me cry. The world is already a sad bitter place, so why spend your whole life or most of it drowned in sadness. Its pointless and its depressing.

• 5d

you can take mine if you would like I think I have had a pretty good dose I don't think I need anymore lol

• Sadness is good to experience because it can help you grow but if it's forced then it isn't good. It coming naturally is

• 5d

Nice take

• 5d

❤❤❤❤

• I'm in love with your cat 😍😍

• 6d

Thanks.

• Good take

• Have my sadness. Take it away.

• I feel sad a lot too.

• 5d

True--people need to feel different emotions to grow and mature.

• 5d

Even if its all the time...

• 5d

There's no shame in admitting you need someone to talk to about your grief. Humans are social creatures, to behave contradictory is bad for our health.

• 5d

good take

• Struggles makes us stronger. Imagine how much the life will be boring if everything was too easy to achieve?

• Our true desires and will to improve come from this

• Good take. The only problem is I'm overflowing with sadness.

• I am of the opinion that all forms of human emotion have their time and place. I don't think we are meant to just smile all the way through life with no cares and no worries. The harder aspects of daily life help us build depth of character.

Some people suffer a great deal from depression and anxiety, and other mental disorders, so we see how it can be a problem when emotions get out of control.

But sorrow, feelings of loss, missing people - these are all normal feelings for every person to experience at some point or another. Nothing to be ashamed of. And it's good to have ways to express those feelings.

What Guys Said 33

• 5d

Great take and perspective. Sad is as I think you said a cycle in life that regenerates our being as a forest fire makes way for new life and light. I went through periods that lasted so long that I began to train myself to enjoy sad and like it. It is possible to retrain your mind to accept sad and begin to embrace it as the norm. So I think sad is a positive state.

• 5d

First off, that's quite a big fluffy cat you've got that doesn't want his picture taken:)!

Great thoughts. It is tragic how society shuns sadness, tries to turn it off. It's there for a reason, some kind of purification, maybe so the painful event doesn't hold a grip on us... washing away the badness?

I wonder though about what and where is appropriate to share ones emotions, especially for men. Women are more free to experience emotions but men are often shut down. Like it is a sign of weakness.

• 5d

Aren't we as men expected to be able to withstand and endure pain? True grief can cut deeper than a thousand blades, so why is it not strength to face sadness and deal with it.
      And I wouldn't be so quick to fear how your sadness is received, tons of girls find a man who can cry when he needs to immensely attractive.

• 5d

good. yes we are expected to endure... emotions and pain, but it seems like we just bury our emotions rather than experience them. agree, women do like a man that can cry when appropriate. but is only accepted in certain scenarios it seems. Im trying to sort out how to really make it work in practical relaionship. they don't want weak, nor closed off, they do want emotion, especially love and submission. I see all too many guys who cannot feel their emotions because they are shut down.

• 5d

Short but powerful read.
    I really enjoyed it - it made me see sadness is something needed to appreciate all the positive emotions and feelings.

And to not be ashamed of my own emotions.

• The older you get the more in tune with sadness most people necessarily become. It's just part of life. I've always found it helpful to think of life as a waveform - peaks and valleys. Happiness / sadness let us know where we're at on the curve. Happiness is the upslope. Ecstasy the peak. Sadness the down. Sorrow the trough. If you're younger it's harder to tell where you're at on the way up / down - life gives you context as you go.

• 5d

Good words, man. But sometimes you have to let the sadness go away, forever

• 6d

Maybe one can argue that sadness has a similar function to physical pain in letting you know that something is wrong, but I'd still rather not feel it.

• I almost totally agree with you (;
    Only there is no real joy, but there isn't also real happiness for when the is no happiness there is sadness and when the is no sadness there is happiness...
    They're both the absence of the other.
    Therefore when we accept the being of both and let them flow, we can make happiness from sadness and sadness from happiness ( :

• 5d

all emotions need contradictions. Where there is joy, there needs to be sadness. Where there is anger, there needs to be sorrow.

• 6d

If we didn't know sadness, we wouldn't be able to fully appreciate happiness.

• A very good take. You're completely correct. Hiding your sadness or pain will only make you more sad. You think you're alone, I've been there done that.

• 5d

I don't know that a person necessarily requires sadness so much as sadness is unavoidable in the human experience.

• 5d

Sadness is painful but it can make you see the truth with some situations. Reality kicks in and it is not pretty sometimes.

• I think is a realtors that sadness is part of our lives. You see extroverted and apparently happy people but you never know what’s behind.

• Without sadness happiness can't exist. Without death with can't appreciate life. You have to have the negatives in order to have the positives

• 5d

Despair and saddness=life without it would just be death. Simple boring death.

• 5d

Too much of it is clearly bad and depression is very bad for your health.

• 5d

That's why you need to deal with it. Shun it too much and it ust piles up, and that will indeed lead to depression.

• 5d

But i don't shun it. I let it out when i can. I not only have clinical depression but im also in a horrible living situation roght now and until that goes away (which no matter how hard I work it doesn't), my depression will continue being as bad as it is.

Regardless of anything.

• 5d

Sorry to hear that. Depression is of course another matter entirely, still, not unbeatable.

• darkness is nothing without light
    light is nothing without darkness

they need each other to survive.

Like Thanos said. BALANCE.

• Completely true, all emotions have a purpose and are most effective when in balance (this doesn't necessarily mean happy)

• sadness is ok. helps us feel humble. But when your in that mode a lot and know too much of disappointment, then you need a new plan

• 6d

Pain makes us human.
    Pain shared is what brings us together.

• Sadness is just a emotion like others.
    It has its role and balance.

• 6d

This is a weird answer, but i feel like that song sad by bebe rexha "maybe im comfortable being sad"

• Ask the brilliant people. They made the nonsense rules.

• 5d

All human emotions are equally important

• 5d

Good

• 6d

Excellent point.

• 5d

I've had enough sadness that's enough already

• 5d

Fuck sadness. Punch it's lightz out.

• 6d

Sadness can clso lead to depression

• 5d

lifes makes me sad

• Show more from Guys
    3