If you can't keep houseplants alive, you might be neglectful.

So, I feel like writing about people who kill houseplants.

If you cant keep houseplants alive, you might be neglectful.

It's incredibly difficult to kill a plant, as all you have to do is not water it or water it too much.

And that's why you might be a neglectful and abusive person if you can't not kill houseplants.

It means you don't notice suffering in others, obliviously going about your life slowly killing them. You think they're fine, when they're dying.

Dying houseplants don't grow. They wither and shrivel, and writhe, stunted. They turn pale and die. They are silent and vulnerable. They are indoors.

You might be narcissistic if you kill houseplants. Assuming if you only water them about as often as you think it takes to feed yourself if you were a plant while they are dying of starvation then that's all they need that might be narcissism.

You may lack empathy due to oblivion, if you kill houseplants.

All you need to do is pay attention and water them.

23
15

Most Helpful Girls

• HOAAH
    My mom raises a ton of houseplants.
    She is a self absorbed narcissist, who thinks that she is the most beautiful person ever born and the most righteous. Everyone should worship her and obdy her, or else they are evil and cursed forever. She controls and manipulates everyone around her. Daily, she tells everyone, including my dad, that they are unlovable and evil except for her and poor her to be stuck with such evil and pathetic people who can't be as wonderful as her.

I kill all houseplants. I think that i am not watering them enough and fear i am going to kill them. I water twice a week and all my plants die. Not because I am a narcissistic person, who can't understand people and their feelings. But because I am a pathetic person who fears everyone hates me.
    Is this still revelant?
    • :( Oh no. My mom is a narcissist too. I don't hate you. :)

Tips on plants: listen to them. Don't water on regular intervals, only water when they ask. Each plant is different snd has different preferences on when to be watered. They can communicate with you via their soil dryness, and when they begin to starve their leaves will droop, then turn a lighter green and eventually brown. The leaves will also get drier.

Only water when the soil begins to dry and get less moist. If you only water when the soil is slightly less damp and dry then the plant will thrive. :D.

• FictionalCharacter
    I take good care of all my plants. Here are some before and after once I brought them home. I feed them spring water. NOT FAUCET OR DISTILLED WATER.

my babies grew soo long big.
    baby in May.
    baby in May.
    Need to hang them, the vines are about to touch the floor.
    This baby is so heavy and big. I’ve got it in May with no vines. Now, the vines are so long. Look, it already wants to touch floor from the ceiling.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guys

• ObscuredBeyond
    That's why I seek out plants that require minimal maintenance. Of course, the affordable ones are always mature plants that don't have long to live anyway. So even when I nurture them for two years straight, they still die eventually. Because they were half dead when I bought them. So why bother? Because it sure beats having to take care of an animal. Call it OCD, but I find animals to be dirty. All animals. And I feel contaminated coming into contact with one. With plants... it's not the same thing.
    Is this still revelant?
  • anube
    You know that plants transplanted from your neighbors yard r outside plants just kidding
    Is this still revelant?
    • You think I stole neighbors' plants, brought them indoors snd then photographed them just to call them out for this take? That's awesome man.

• anube

Bro I was trying to be funny

• anube

Admit it in that context it was funny

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2113
  • lumos
    I've killed a couple of houseplants even though I tried my best to take care of them :( I always do a lot of research on the plants to see how much sunlight and water they need. Some just seem to be unhappy in my home, I don't know why that is. Plants are temperamental sometimes, I don't think it's always as straightforward as just neglecting them or giving them too much water. Some require pretty specific conditions that you might not be fully aware of, even if you do your research. Or they might already be dying or having issues with their roots when you get them, without you knowing. I don't think it's as black and white as you're making it seem.
  • Just because someone is bad at remembering to water plants doesn't make them abusive or narcissistic. Noticing a plant dying is very different from a human. Plants wither and become part of the background, not necessarily something you look at every day. Should we label people as abusive if they don't dust every day? Honestly, posting things like this is only hurtful. You'll lead people to self diagnose themselves when they are no where close to the real definition of the disorder.
    • Maybe I went too far.

• lumos

Not to mention that some plants aren't as obvious with their death as others. I once had a plant that looked totally fine, the leaves were still green, thick and waxy. But as I was watering it, I accidentally bumped into one of its branches, and all the leaves just fell off that branch. Confused, I gave its pot a little shake, and then about 80% of the leaves just fell off. It was super odd. For the next week, I really tried my best to check on it and take care of it, but at that point it was clear that it had practically already died.

• @lumos "But as I was watering it, I accidentally bumped into one of its branches, and all the leaves just fell off that branch. Confused, I gave its pot a little shake, and then about 80% of the leaves just fell off. It was super odd." 😂😂😂 Bwhahahahaha... HAHAHA.

Sorry I laughed too hard at this.

• wittymilf
    Meh, some houseplants are sick when you get them, and some are just precious and temperamental and you guys were never gonna get off on the right foot. I killed a cactus 😳 apparently that’s hard to do.
  • lovedejj_xo
    I’m not a flower person and don’t like receiving them because well they die. But my puppy has been happy and breathing for a solid 5 months so I’m doing something right. I think people get busy and flowers just cannot be compared to people sorry... how about if you’re depressed then what? You think people are worried about a plant. This post is a bit much in terms of comparison. Definitely not narcissism.
    • The puppy is alive! She must be doing something right, LOL.

I'd be more concerned if someone couldn't keep a pet or child alive: there's your red flag!

• Honestly lol!! He just commented on one of my comments and called me a plant killer so beware.

• Lol. 🤣

• Alpha09
    Or maybe your hella busy taking care of the people in your life, working, paying rent etc and the plant that was given to you randomly is the last thing on your mind lol
    • 🤣 I was literally laughing at this opinion. Good point. Good point. Touché.

• Taylor_C
    Not necessarily true. Many plants have needs beyond water. Some may need a certain amount of light, some require certain levels of humidity. The latter is very difficult to control in a home environment. So, it´s possible to kill pot plants without being neglectful.
  • Or maybe you just have zero interest in plants but care a lot about other people and animals...
    My mother just loves plants of any kind and no matter how often I tell her that they do not interest me in the slightest keeps buying them for me on about every occasion and then wonders that I forget to water them.
  • SoWhAt249
    Omg, my mom is like this, and she believes they die because the house has only sorrow, instead of happiness. I keep telling her to stop buying new flowers because none last longer than a month. The only plant that she has somehow kept alive is a ficus, that sprouts new leaves, but hasn't grown like at all, since she bought it like 2 years ago.
  • SpacedCharr
    I think it depends on the houseplant and whether you bought it yourself or not.

Some plants are ridiculously easy to kill, those are often best left to professionals or dedicated hobbyists.

Likewise, if you're given a houseplant, someone else has effectively saddled you with a life. Do you even want it?

But if you bought the plant for yourself and choose to neglect it, yeah, I can see where you're coming from.
  • blutwolfe
    Yeah I see where you were going with this, people took it the wrong way. It's more metaphorical not literal, and people took it literal. Probably not the best comparison either.

Basically saying background issues matter, that you not only care about primary issues but you also don't neglect the background issues. Most people aren't that devoted or are oblivious.
  • BetteDavis
    Haha I have the black thumb of death... like the opposite of a green thumb! Meanwhile the kids stayed alive 👍
  • Keep plants with similar needs together. So, don't plant ferns with cacti, for example. "Killing plants with kindness" is probably the number one problem with houseplants. As others have mentioned, water only when needed, and make sure every pot has drainholes so the plants don't get "wet feet".

If all else fails, get a pothos or spider plant, and water with rain water or let tap water "outgas" for a day or two before using.
  • Cynicaldreamer
    @Alpha09 pretty much said it perfectly.

My mom is always buying or putting plants in my yard to make it look nice, even when I tell her I don't want to water or baby them.

And some houseplants are super picky!
    They have to get a certain amount of light, no light, x amount of water, or they die. Not all of us have green thumbs. If it's not an unkillable plant, I will kill it 😂

In addition, I work in a hospital. My job is to care for patients and the employees.
    I dare someone to call me "neglectful." My job is to put others first.

And when I've had a long day at work, tired, or have a million other real life issues to tend to? Watering a plant is the last thing on my mind!

It doesn't mean I'm selfish. It means I have other things, or people, that need my attention more.

So you really need to consider ALL factors of why some people can't keep houseplants alive. Don't lump all of us as neglectful or selfish.
    • Thank you social worker over here I definitely had a good LOL at this

• Right? Lol. He obviously doesn't realize some of us have more pressing obligations in life than tending to a plant all the time

• MORPHEUS_12
    This is bordering the fringes of
    Anthropomorphism.
  • stardust101
    Give the dying house plants to me, I’ll revive them.
  • purplepoppy
    It's sad that we permit those who can't even look after a plant to have children. One can only imagine the neglect they must endure.
  • Big-A
    Water and sunlight.

How do you fuck that up exactly?
  • You dont even have to water them. Place wicking rope in a pot of water then proceed to going back to being a neglectful scumbag
  • Unit1
    Well, there is truth in there for sure to some degree. Aloe vera is not so easy to kill, so i have one 😀
  • Phoenix98
    Or your just horribly at gardening, some people have the green thumb and others don't.
  • HobisSunshineXD
    Dang... Im neglectful
    • It's okay. Maybe start practicing paying more attention to the needs of the plants you're taking care of. Believe it or not they can communicate with you. They'll tell you when they've had too much or too little water. You just need to pay attention to how they react and behave.

• Is that like how people say that sleaking to trees helps them grow?

• *speaking

• Yeah and many just don't have the patience for plants.
  • My plants live, it's just the children I can't get to live
  • unluckygal22
    Omg!! This post is about me. My house plants always die 😰
  • Liam_Phillipiah
    Ah well I’m African so I don’t get much water for my plants
  • ZELLxoxo
    Great mytake.
  • Stop watering them with Round-Up.
  • Syrian_survivor
    Deep.
  • Avicenna
    You have a point there
  • TheWaterisFine
    Interesting..
  • Good take
  • Plants I have don’t need to water often.
  • Anonymous
    I believe most deaths occur from being ill informed. I had an ornamental pepper plant that didn’t need a daily watering that I almost killed because I thought it needed it.
  • Anonymous
    I can’t even keep a cactus alive and they grow in the desert. However, I am far from neglectful. I have three kids and I had a dog for 15 years that I got when I was 5 and fed her everyday myself I also took her for walks.
    I just can’t keep plants alive that’s it.