Living under a dictatorship: The beginning!

DiegoO

Hi, for the ones who don't know, I am from a small central American country, called Nicaragua; although, geographically it's at the same time the biggest country of the region.

Protest of 2018
Protest of 2018

I remember been a 17 years old, the time the sandinistas won the presidential elections of 2007. They suppousdly won clean, by popular vote. It seems that pevious governments were a dissapointment for most people.

Some were happy, celebrating the victory of the FSLN (Frente Sandinista de Liberación Nacional: actual ruling party), others were fearfull. The party had its second chance, after it lost a tense election against the political oposition of 1990. Violeta Barrios de Chamorro won the presidency.

She became the first female president of The Americas, and she represented a new era for the country.

National news paper: La Prensa
National news paper: La Prensa
Daniel Ortega (actual president), passing the presidency to Violeta Barrios de Chamorro

In resume, the FSLN knocked down 45 years of a previous dictatorship sponsored by the US, to stop the influence of marxism. The country was now a geopolitical asset for Cuba and the USSR.

What happened in 1990? How did the sandinistas lost the democratic elections?

FSLN flag

I can only imagine they thought they were gonna be elected. That's why they didn't oppouse to it, or cancel any attemp to celebrate elections.The rest is history you can look up.

Whenever I think of 2007, my mind goes back to the moment I was in my last year of highschool. They called everyone of my classroom to a general meeting. Each one of us went to it. We were in the school gym, sitting on its benches, wanting to go home, soon as possible. Almost an hour passed, when the oficial speach started.

Previously, we were been tortured (at least I thought so) with propagandistic music of the new ruling party. The music was repetitive and loud. Honestly I suspected they were trying to brainwash my classmates and I. Since that day, at my 17 years self, I was sensing something wasn't right. I grew up with democracy. Before the FSLN returned to power, I saw the country heading to a steady development, and I also remember a functional judicial system. At 17 I started to realize things weren't gonna change for better, and that it was important for me to fulfill my academical goals, before anything goes worst. Years later, here I am.

In 2019, I finish college. What happened in all that lapse? I dropped college, changed carrier, my mom get seriously ill, I had to attend her, also a failed LDR I thought was gonna go beyond a screen.

1
9
1Girl Opinion
9Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• Wester1967
    Kill the gringo in your head bro. This uncritical analysis of US foreign policy and ridiculous statements like Nicaragua is an asset of Cuba. With a micro GDP. Or the USSR when there was a total blockade and nobody could get anything in to the country?

I lived through the 80s and Chamorro.

The gringoes will use you up and spit you out. No matter how cute you tap dance for them.
    LikeDisagree 4 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • DiegoO

I never favored the US, but I will not favour the FSLN neither. They had their chance to do better, and they didn't.

• @wester

Gringos? That’s cute. I guess I’d be jealous of other countries if my country was a third world dump run by drug lords.

Yes, us gringos will use your country up. At least someone will get some use out of your country. Nicaragua became independent in 1821 and what have they done since then? Install communist regimes and produce nothing of value. Do you guys have indoor plumbing yet?

Shit your filthy mouth with that gringo talk.

• OlderAndWiser
    This is the kind of experience that someone must actually live though to really understand. I don't think the far left in my country understands the dangers of a totalitarian government because the US has not experienced that in 245 years.
    LikeDisagree 10 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Wester1967

What the hell was the past forty years of Reagan’s wall to wall corporate police state?

• DiegoO

I honestly think the US is more likeky to fall into a far right regime.

• @Wester1967. Extremist rhetoric.

Most Helpful Girl

• malwins
    Was she the dictator?
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • DiegoO

No, she was the candidate who defeated the FSLN in 1990. The man who pass her the presidency (the one who appears with her), is the actual "president".

• DiegoO

He actually stated: "I'll govern from the shadows". So he did, when the other president (the one next, after Violeta) made a political pact with him. It was a huge mistake we are paying as a country.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

07
  • Exterminatore
    This is why communism should be considered a global threat that should be eradicated with extreme prejudice.
    Like 4 People
    • DiegoO

Extremism in politics, all together.

Fascism is just as bad.

• Well…. I consider myself to be somewhat a quasi fascist so….

Spain under Franco seemed to work well, but I can’t think of a communist country that didn’t mass murder its own people and where it’s own people don’t live in poverty.

• DiegoO

Anything that doesn't support marxicism is great for the US and allies. That includes far right dictatorships.

Looking back in the history of Latin America, you can see the prevalence of marxism in some latin American countries, and the prevalence lf fascism in others.

The only reason why fascist countries keep a relatively healthy economy is because of the US and friends

• monkeynutts
    Sounds crazy. Just remember you are the future of your country, you can if you want try and work to make it a better place.
    Like 1 Person
    • DiegoO

The future of the country has it worst. They don't know democracy. I am talking about teens, kids in my country who have no notion of how things were before 2007.

At 31, I am more part of the present.

• It can’t be as bad as North Korea, so they must be doing better than some.

• DiegoO

True, but it can be at bad if nothing is done.

• invalid1
    The third world should man up and join the first world. GET OVER THE PAST
    Like 1 Person
    • DiegoO

? You ever question how the "first world country" get to be "first world? Also, do you actually think "first world countries" wants to see the "third" world countries at their economical level?

Who does the low wage jobs? Low wage workers, where does they comes from? From third world countries, what that means? It means that for every developed country, there are countries in development, supplying them low wage workers and natural resources.

• invalid1

What I mean is that the future might have potential for dramatic changes for the better or the worse. We complain from a situation that we seem so satisfied about 🤷🏻‍♂️

• DiegoO

You really don't understand how fucked up the world is.

• m33lad
    C0ViD is the movement for NWO
    Sadly 90% of people are deep sleep! What’s coming to some countries before 2030 will be globally unless people will wake up.

60% of the world will die because of C0ViD 💉💉💉

There are 7 C0ViD jabs.

The first 2/3 won’t kill you. The others will.
    Like 1 Person
  • yofuknutz
    Living under a dictatorship: The beginning! I think that's what happened
    Like 1 Person
  • anylolone
    I'm sorry for you, and for all of us.

Remember kid, as anthony kiedis said, we win in the long run.
    Like 3 People
  • DWornock
    Ultimately, all countries become dictatorships because people always support the rulers and all rulers want total control.
    Like 1 Person

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!