"The way someone dresses is how they want to be treated", true or false?

For females with short dresses, with guys with feminine outfits or a caked up dress, etc.

Most Helpful Guy

• False they do not dress that way to get you to whistle

Most Helpful Girl

• How someone dresses is a statement on who they are. It's a form of expression.

But no matter how someone chooses to express themselves through their clothing they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. No outfit is an invitation for violence or harassment.

What Guys Said 63

• I think the way a person dressed can say a lot about what kind of person they are.

• No, that's definitely not true. Though, there's this thing in criminology called "victim precipitation" which suggests that the victim of a violent crime acted in such a way to cause his or hers victimization. An example would be a woman wearing a very provocative dress at a club and then getting sexually assaulted. Clothing can indicate what you want or feel sometimes

• That's crazy. Isn't that victim blaming?

• I didn't say that...
      Victim precipitation implies that many individuals have been found to precipice or cause their own victimization through their indirect or direct actions. Sometimes, certain situations that people put themselves in or certain people they hangout with, increase their own victimization.

• This is a feminist theory implemented in the U. S. justice system. Where the lesser of two evils persistently argue the invalidity of the victim and the ignoring what constitutes the perpetrators charge. It's bias as a standard of prosecution , whereas the violation of guaranteed due process for the victim and the perpetrator as a whole. This impeeds upon constitutionally protected rights guaranteed by our constitutional amendments. Both are biased by the law at whole.

• i think it is false in most cases

• No. False.
    How someone dresses MAY be a reflection of who they are, how they identify with themselves or others, or even how they want other peope to see/identify them. But then again, it is just as likely that someone just throw on some clean shit they had lying around.

It does seem, however, extremely unlikely that people dress for the specific reason of "being treated a certain way" And frankly, that way of thinking sounds dangerous, opening up the gates to a whole world of victim blaming.

People dress for a purpose. This much is true. But the purpose may be as simple as "it was cold out, I put on more clothes" And it really never means you're supposed to treat them differently. That's silly.

I really hope you dont believe that ridiculous statement :/

• Maybe this is just me, but as a mature man, I don't dress how I want to be "treated", I dress functionally depending on situation. If I am exercising I wear fitness gear, if I am at work I dress business casual, if I am at a metal concert I wear jeans and a printed T (band or horror), if I am trying to be attractive at an event or at a bar I wear something classic (button down, indigo jeans, fashion sneakers or dress boots), if it is a formal event I wear a suit, tie, and a pair of black oxfords.

There is some truth that people treat you differently depending on how well put together you are or what your sense of style is. If you dress like you are going to a metal concert every where you go, chances are, only people who have the same mind set as you are going to understand and fully appreciate your style choice. If you don't give a crap about how you look, it will show. If you wear clothes too big or small, it will also show.

As for women, mature women do the same. However it is also true that at a night club or some other venue, if the woman is dressing extra sexily, like in a short cocktail dress with heels, chances are she is looking for validation and maybe even some guys to approach her. She is obviously trying to either boost her own confidence or trying to be attractive. If not, then she is going to be annoyed by all the unwanted attention. Same goes for an attractive guy who puts a lot of extra effort into his look to show off, he might get tons of female (and male) attention regardless if he is looking for it or not.

• Mostly true. While there are many different fashions and styles, how one dresses says a lot about them. You dont wear Hawaiian shirts at a funeral. You dont sag your pants and look gangster when going for a job interview. ( people in the south still sag, that shit died in the north years ago.) you don't dress like a hooker working the streets for her crack addiction and expect to be respected by men or women, or treated by wife material. You dont show up to work for construction wearing tennis shoes and shorts.

• Its true only to an extent. If someone dresses provocatively, they likely enjoy the feeling if being looked at in a desiring way, or they want a specific person they think they're going to see to look at them that way. Similarly, a girl who covers up most of her skin likely doesn't enjiynthe feeling if being looked at in a desiring way. However, that's not to daynthst women who dress provocatively are asking to be raped and it certainly doesn't mean that a man should disregard her plea for him to stop stating at her.

• Yes and no. They aren't intentionally asking for the treatment but the result is that people will perceive them differently. It's part of the law of unindented consequences.

A woman dresses provocatively wants to look sexy and feel sexy. The achieved the sexy look. However, this also leads to some men to perceive them as potential rape target. All it takes is a fool trying it.

Somebody needs to collect some data. Just need to answer if rape victims ever dress or act provocatively in front of the criminals. If you get a disproportionately high percentage compare to the control group then you probably have something there.

• I guess. I mean why else do girls wear crop tops and short shorts in -10 weather. I know they want to look sexy and be thought of as sexy. But doesn't mean they want to be treated as meat. \

I also noticed in beach volleyball, the girls with better games wear less clothes and the average girl will wear shorts instead of a sport bikini.

• Mah thats sometimes people are ignorant and are blinded by certain standards and rules
    People dress themselves the way they do to feel good and express themselves

people who treat others different cause of their clothes are insecure and close minded

• Don't even know what that means... I wear American flag stuff or fishing shirts with khakis. What does that mean I want? Do I want to be treated like a fish? Not preferably

• No, it' false, dressing style has nothing to do with "treatment".
    But I love the dressing style on the picture above ;)

• Treated? No. Nope.

But I do think it says *something*about their self-image and what they think they have to offer.

This is true for men and women, by the way.

• It CAN be true but I don't think it's immediately "she's wearing a short skirt, time to whip it out." It's just too delicate an issue to be like "oh I thought you were horny when you picked out that outfit."

• I don't know about treated but viewed defiantly.

I mean if a woman doesn't want you to look at her boobs or ass then she shouldn't wear clothing that says hey look at my boobs or ass.

• It's not correct in plenty of cases, because not every person has the intellectual capacity to realise that they way they dress influence the way they are perceived.

• No. Not true. But fashion isvan expression of self. If you dont care to look good and just wear crappy pjs or hoodies.. it says something about you and self esteem. If you dress sluttty, that says something too. All people should be respected tho.

• No, it's not because I dress like a 30's mafioso that you owe me money otherwise I fill your body with.45ACP. However, the way people dress tells you some things about them.

• The way you dress shows your personality, preference and the way you see things. How you want to be treated may be a part of your personality but it is not completely like that.

• The way one dresses could be for attention seeking. It could say lot things about someone they may be depressed and seeking love but doing it in the wrong way.

• False lol... How can you treat some 1 based off how they dress

How would you treat someone whos wearing a bathing suit at the beach... makes no sense.

• Its true.

Both sexes look at their own sex and the opposite sex in a different light depending on the way they dress.

Pretty much all men agree on this , some women too..

• More like the way they dress is the way they're gonna be treated if they want it or not xD

• sweet jesus

• What would this say about how they want to be treated?

• I mostly try to be presentable but then sometimes I just don't bother. Not sure what that tells you about how I want to be treated.

• True to an extent

• I dress how i feel lol

• In my experience, yes.

• Not really

• More from Guys
    33

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 41

• Well, the girl in the picture above (Danielle Robertson) is a very decent girl; so I would have to disagree in her case. She's an athlete.

It depends on the intentions of the individual prior to wearing a specific outfit. Some people will feel insecure, & seek attention; others will dress to gain respect; some will dress to avoid mediocrity.

The latter is me; I was born a rebel & I don't conform to the rules of society.

It depends on what you value in life, how you were raised, & it sometimes is a direct reflection of how you see yourself or how you feel at that very moment.

Women, in my opinion, seek the most attention & validation, because they are emotional thinkers. Men think on a very basic & logical level; except probably when they have to dress for a specific occasion.

It's a very subjective topic.

I think when we go out, we're all prone to pay more attention to the way we dress, & our appearance overall; as we're going out to meet new people.

Valuing your appearance means that you value yourself.

However, considering girls who show a lot of cleavage & who wear skimpy clothes every other day; reflects that they need attention & validation from men in order to feel significant - it's a deep-seated insecurity; & it's visible to most people who observe these kinds of women. It may reflect a lack of self-respect, which is why men wouldn't think twice of putting these women in the "MRS. RIGHT NOW" category when on a date. Most decent men in this case, wouldn't see you as girlfriend material if you dress provocatively all of the time (bad idea on a first date). It's proven psychologically, as all men compartmentalize their thoughts through what they observe - it's in their biology.

• I think that everyone wants to be treated with human decency/respect (at least I hope they do). But, I've often noticed that people will treat those who dress nice/professionally better than those who dress more casually.

• In most cases, I think this is nonsense.

It doesn't matter what I'm wearing, I dress very modestly most of the time since I work in a conservative field teaching and it doesn't limit how many times I get catcalled or chatted up.

The earliest time I remember getting catcalled was at age 9 and I certainly wasn't asking for it wearing a conservative schoolgirl's uniform. Some people will treat people badly or objectified them regardless of the situation because it's what they want no matter who you are

• Nobody ever has the right to rape or abuse someone based on their clothes they wear... i know a lot of girls were probably thrown out of and laughed out of a police station because she was wearing a mini dress when she was raped but men don't understand they never have the right to rape women and i don't think enough people understand that and it seems 1/2 of women agree if a girl wears sexy clothes she deserves to be raped but your all so far off.

• Then stop lookin like a trashy looking hooker

• @angelica453 when I was raped I wasn't dressed trashy. Go fist yourself you judgmental c*nt.

• @angelica453 i'll say it again a man never has a right to rape a woman no matter what a woman wears or doesn't wear... i could curse you out call you every name in the book accuse you of anything i want but you'll always be an a**hole

• That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

If you wore a t-shirt that said "murder me" and someone did, they would still be charged with murder. I believe a judge said this during a trial, or perhaps in reference to a rape trial. It is unreasonable to expect that how someone dresses is how they want to be treated.

• Thats like saying a ( fake ) skater girl wearing short shorts that almost show her ass when she know damn well she just want some dick

• @angelica453 stupid is as stupid does. Thanks for the demonstration.

• This is a really interesting question. I've come to the conclusion that it's true to an extent.. As it definitely doesn't apply 100% to everyone all the time.. But it does somewhat. For example, if a female were to dress somewhat more risqué.. She's to expect more attention than if she were to dress comfy and casually. As with a male.. If he's to dress formally etc. he's most likely going to be treated more politely than just your casual banter in your daily ongoings. But I've thought of this before.. Specifically tailored towards how a female may dress and be reacted towards. I've often thought about how I'd be treated if I was wearing something else as opposed to another outfit when something peculiar happens when I'm out an about.
    Nice question! I hope this helps! :)

• False. No one wants to ne treated badly. Even if they dress in a provocative way.
    I like wearing pretty dresses and skirts but not because I like being harrassed but because I like being pretty and I want other people to see that invest energy and time in my appearance. That won't happen if I go outside wearing jeans and hoodies.

• That's true for me. I dress slutty when I am going to hookup with a guy. But every other time I dress normal and covered so people don't look at me sexually.

• yeah also a misconception is that dressing is all about you. society highlights everything is about yourself and don't give an ef about others. true humans take into consideration others as well. you should respect and make others happy as well with your dressing. you can be modest and dress nicely as well. and that way you respect both yourself, and others and their aesthetics.

• False...

• The way you dress is the way you want to present yourself, the image of yourself that you project to the world.

• This is so typical. Haha men set the standards for how women should feel, act and even fucking dress? Nah fuck off losers. Like you'll wife a woman in a nun outift out at the club either. Fucking hypos. ain't nobody wanna be your wife, niggas. Show a little human courtesy from one human to another and teach ya homebois not to be trash. Thats it. And do us all a favour and keep your standards to strictly on your own dicks. Don't know how many gay rapists can see you erect from those tight ass skinnies. Cause god forbid a fiver year old walked around HALF-naked and a pedophile thought it was "easier". HAHAHA BECAUSE "WHAT SELF-RESPECTING CHILD WOULD WALK AROUND WITH BARELY ANY CLOTHES ON AND WANTED TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT." So at the end of the day, without my SAY, no one is fucking allowed to touch me. And if you feel the need to treat me any less than human, than bitch, no one wants you around anyway. Huhu bubye. xx

• I don't dress how want to be treated I dress in what I feel reflects my personality. I wear tight and revealing clothing because I love myself and my body and love to show it off. That doesn't mean I want to be treated like thats all there Is to me. I have brilliant body and brains, one does not rule out the other.

• Partially true, depends highly on the environment and your upbringing, and your social norms.

I myself dress modestly in shapeless clothes although I'm a fashion freak. I hate being sexualized and cat called and objectified etc.

• So it mean that if I like to wear sweatpants, shirt and sneakers I'm either athletic or a couch potato too lazy to get dressed up XD

• false.

• Not true at all. For example if I wear a short skirt it doesn't mean that I'm looking for a hook up but sadly a lot of people 'judge books by their covers".

• Very true like if you go on a job interview you dress professional since you wanna be taken serious

• If I had her Ana I d be going out nude😂

• It depends honestly. I do believe that depending on the way one presents themselves plays a large part in how others perceive that person. Us ladies especially. But many people just have their own fashion style and are not attempting to tell you what university they went to with the color of their shoes. It's "dress how you want to be addressed" vs. "don't judge a book by its cover".

• How someone is dressed does not give you a right to assault them or touch them. Take responsibility for your own actions. None of this "I can't help it she was dressed provocatively" bullshit.

• Yes the statement is true. I mean for example why a lady wants to dress like a slut or prostitute when going to a night club wht is the sole and real motive for her to do that? Can anyone give me a logical explanation?

• false- I thin people dress to feel good about themselves

• Yea... if you want attention from guys dress up pretty...

if you don't wear a sweater, cape, cargo shorts, and a ski mask lol

• how someone dresses has absolutely nothing to do with how they are treated

• Unless it's very obvious I don't find it true, but at the same time people have different views of what's obvious or not. It really depends on person, but people should limit it, not because of what's right, but come to a certain agreement so there won't get any conflicts and have order.

• Just bc a person likes to show a little leg doesn't mean they invite anyone or anything in

• That can be true, of course environment counts to what they might want too. If a woman is dressing sexy/revealing at a club she may want to attract the opposite sex. However it still gives you no excuse to treat her like a piece of meat.

• False. We dress up how we want and nobody has a right to treat us bad if we don't want to.

• go explain that to a 6'3 dude following you in a dark ally ready to jump you, safe better than sorry, dont make yourself look like a target !! when i travel to a poor country i never wear gold cause they will rob me

• Then the issue isn't females if a guy attacks us. :^)

• your logic doesn't work here, safe better than sorry i dont think you will care if iam right or you're right when you're being attacked

• Don't know if it reflects on how they want to be treated, but it effects how they are treated.

• More from Girls
    11