Is telling girls to smile a form of objectification?

I recently came across this article about people harassing Brie Larson for her role in Captain Marvel. People were saying that she looks too "wooden" and should smile more. In response, Brie photoshopped smiles onto male superhero faces to demonstrate how stupid it looks for superheroes to smile.

Basically, the article claims that it's "sexist" to tell women to smile and even goes as far as to say it is a "very common form of harassment that objectifies women." So I'm wondering, do you agree or disagree that telling women to smile objectifies them and is offensive? What do you think?
  • Yes, telling women to smile is just another form of objectification
  • No, it isn't that deep
  • Other/See Results
    Vote C

60131

Most Helpful Guys

• This shit's stupid.

1) Nobody asked her to smile in inappropriate places. But throughout the entire trailer, her facial expression is wooden. Not only no smile - nothing. That's what actors are paid for. But sure, superheroes never smile...
    encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images
    i.pinimg.com/.../...85af1955d49325390cbc5f2658.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cisl5-3W0AQMupt.jpg
    media.giphy.com/media/Gwtv1sXXnunMA/giphy.gif
    media.comicbook.com/.../...rok-smiling-1039609.jpg
    Sorry, Bree... but you are a fucking idiot.

2) A friend of mine is a pretty depressing person. But I am attached to him emotionally, we are school buddies, I can't let him go like that. I used to tell him to smile. Not anymore, because I gave up hope. But whatever. I told him to smile because I hoped he would feel more welcome, or be more part of society.
    Smiling at people when you don't feel like it, to me, is not about me. I don't want to smile all the time. But when I make eye contact with a person on the subway, or on the street, or in a bar - even if I don't want to, I force a smile on my ugly face in the hopes that I might make their day a bit better.
    You don't always have to smile because you feel good - but to make OTHERS feel welcome. And maybe they'll reciprocate your gesture.

So my advice to Miss Larson is to get over herself, and stop thinking this is about her. When I say I want her to emote, and in this particular case, smile in a movie, I say it because I expect this from her as an actor. I pay a lot of money to see your stupid movie - the least you can do is make me feel like I am not supposed to root for a fucking droid.

Thank you for your understanding, Bree. Now go back to Tumblr, and post about how you are oppressed.

• WITF has this world come to? 50% of the population is running around looking for excuses to "correct" or reproach the other 50% so they can feel some smugness as they believe they occupy the moral high ground. How does any of this nonsense make us a better civilization? How does any of this nonsense help us thrive as a species?

This is just simple and unadulterated happy horse shit!

• This is my favorite quote of the week
      "This is just simple and unadulterated happy horse shit!"

• Trying to correct what can be better is how society's improve, being complacent slows down progress which is obviously inevitable. So why not try to make things better materialistically and morally i don't get it

• @SoccerKing88 You are operating with the woefully inadequate assumption that your morality "must be" better so it should be imposed on others. Additionally, that mentality is hypocritical because these same people who want to improve the world by extinguishing "unacceptable thoughts" will say that they want to increase diversity and tolerance for others.

Most Helpful Girls

• I have always been told to smile by guys alone and it's always when I'm in the middle of doing nothing like walking down the street, at the butchers, sitting on a bench---do you know how creepy that would be to just be walking around randomly just smiling at nothing?!? Why at 3pm in the middle of the day through no interaction with anyone would I need to smile, and why would I be just smiling at a stranger I'd never met before who randomly approached me---and told me to smile? That's weird. I don't tend to entertain this request, but I don't find it objectifying if it's a one time ask----but it is the insistent ones that ask 2, 3, 4 times, like come on, smile for me, or let me see that pretty smile, that do fall into that objectification category, because I'm not there to entertain some stranger's wishes. That's right up there with do a turn for me, or dance for me---do we ask that of strangers?

• No.
    Why do people have to look at it as telling "girls" to smile? Why not people? As if guys never get told to smile. I always say it to my guy friends when they're feeling down, or when I'm mocking them to annoy them even more, I do the same thing to my friends who are girls and they all do the same to me.

It's just a fun thing to say.

I'm liberal, but political correctness is going mad.