The DEATH of PAY PHONES and TELEPHONE BOXES

AviatorTom

At one time, not many years ago, before the age of the mobile phone, thousands of pay phones could be found in cities, towns, and villages all across the United States. Some even in the middle of nowhere.

Similarly, all across the UK could be found the classic red telephone boxes. You could tell how old each one was by seeing which royal Crest was on the box.

Whether in the US or UK ... By inserting a coin, picking up the handset, and dialing a number, you could instantly be in contact with someone miles away.

But that is history, and that history is rapidly disappearing. Recently, the last pay phone in New York City was removed and is being put in a local museum. And the numbers of telephone boxes in the UK has dwindled, with some being turned into small flower gardens.

Pay phones and telephone boxes have joined the ranks of the seriously endangered species. Replaced by the personal mobile phone.

What will Dr Who do without a telephone box? Will future episodes find The Doctor zipping from place to place inside a mobile phone?

Time marches on, and we must march with it.

3
19
3Girl Opinion
19Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• exitseven
    Where is Clark Kent going to go to change into Superman? There is a pay phone in the building I used to work in. That was two years ago so it might be gone. I think that if they were still profitable they would still be around. Who would use a pay phone that you would have to put money into when you could use a cell phone that you alresdy have calling plan? A phone call would no longer be a dime. It would probably cost five bucks.
    Helpful 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

• @exitseven
      When I was in high school it was 50 cents to make a call and that was twenty years ago. I don't think it ever was a dime in my life tome or if it was then it was for a short period.

• exitseven

@MysteriousDarkness I can barely remember when it was a dime. It was the 70s. Ironically I remember having a credit card that I used to make phone calls.

• Never saw a pay phone that you could use a credit card for.

Most Helpful Girl

• purplepoppy
    Most here are either used as toilets by drunks or if in a village turned into flower displays. As for Doctor who I prefer the welsh equivalent The DEATH of PAY PHONES and TELEPHONE BOXES
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

218
  • youngmix
    I think it's dangerous to remove every public pay phone, especially in high density population and high foot traffic areas. Phones break, and I would want to have a phone I can access, as I don't think anyone would stop and give me their phone to use, at least not where I live. Everyone is moving from A to B as fast as they can.
    Like 1 Person
  • ArrowheadSW
    I don't like seeing them go. I think some people would still use them. Not everyone can afford a cell phone. I've been asked by people in public if they could use my cell phone, and I do NOT let them use it for obvious reasons. If they still had access to pay phones, and they had a dime or quarter, they could use that.
    Helpful 1 Person
  • Citizenkirk
    Less personel, more automation, more services rendered cheaply with less accountability and personal, customer service support, who wouldn't go for making insane amounts of money for doing whatever the hell you want in telecommunications technology advertising revenues?
    Helpful 1 Person
  • DonkeyDan
    In the UK part of the communications charter is to ensure a certain number of phone boxes remain especially those in poor mobile phone coverage areas. But I really don't remember the last time I saw a phone box.
    Helpful 1 Person
  • Daniela1982
    I'm not concerned about Dr. Who. But now Superman doesn't have a phone booth to change in. I miss them too because I used to find lots of change in the coin returns when I was a kid.
    Like 1 Person
  • msc545
    I used to own a payphone company here in Los Angeles, and we had about 10,000 phones scattered all over the city. Between the labor problems (someone has to fix them and collect the coins, and payphone repair people have a bad habit of not doing that but wanting to be paid each month anyway) and the incredible vandalism (20% of phones not working on any given day due to damage), we almost went bankrupt. We finally sold the business at a loss.
    Helpful 1 Person
  • Whatever2929292
    They cost more to maintain then they earn in money. If people used them then they would stay around longer. Most people have cellphones and even those who don't well... It is pretty easy to find someone who does.

I suppose if they were still common place it might be nice to have something in case you lost your phone or just for the fun of it and I do think there are still some out there but few and far in between. Since again they are hardly used.

Some people might have used them but when something costs more money then it makes... you really can't have it anymore. They were fun while they lasted
    Like 1 Person
  • micheal727jovanie
    Nyc Time square has Wifi/phone boxes free of charge. Its going to make a big comeback with wifi! FREE!! WIFI!! 😃
    Helpful 1 Person
  • Andres77
    The phone book arrived yesterday. It used to be a large book. Like 10 x 12 x 3".
    Now its a pamphlet about 5 x 7 x 1/4"
    Funny 1 Person
  • Pogi-Paddy-2
    This is in my living room. Ha ha ha I still have a landline phone and number too.The DEATH of PAY PHONES and TELEPHONE BOXES
    Helpful 1 Person
  • GoodGuyBreakingBad
    Just recently in New York they removed the last ones and were taking them to a Museum
    Helpful 1 Person
  • John_Doesnt
    It's still useful for drug dealers and people transforming into a superhero costume.
    Funny 1 Person
  • pizzalovershouse
    Yes cell phones have killed many pay phones I've read
    Like 1 Person
  • jimmy2
    I used tell phone booths a lot growing up... hold honey. More quarters
    Like 1 Person
  • schittywok
    That happened 10 years ago. Why is this now a thing?
  • weirdoweirdo
    Lol the last pay phone was removed 9 years ago in my country
  • BillyBalls
    Pay phones went the way of the horse and buggy!!!
    Like 1 Person
  • humanearth
    I will die before I would submit
  • Tstrbrainer
    I'd miss the phone numbers of hookers in it.
    Helpful 1 Person
  • legalboxers
    they had this the other day here