One Nation Under God and the NFL Dilemma -To Kneel or Not to Kneel?

miamigirl1970

Why is it that Tim Tebow had to deal with the fall out between his faith and football? This issue was an intersection that sparked debate over religion in the NFL. I never understood this. Receivers dance and waive gestures in the end zone when they run in a touchdown, so why can’t someone take a knee just the same? And I am not just advocating for Christian Faith, but all Faith. Yes, all that jazz earns penalties and fines, but sometimes expressions are simply just that. Expressions. That was November 2011.

Now fast forward to 2016 and the NFL allowing Colin Kaepernick to kneel during our Nation’s most patriotic anthem because of what he deems unfair and unjust treatment of African Americans and minorities here in the US. He simply says he has no pride in our flag, because of the racial injustice going on all around. When this first occurred, this statement was released by the NFL.

The 49ers issued a statement about Kaepernick's decision: "The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem." The NFL made their statement. Right or Wrong, they spoke about freedoms in our Country. The Result:

The Sporting News article says "Nearly one-third (32 percent) of adults say they're less likely to watch NFL game telecasts because of the Kaepernick-led player protests against racial injustice, according to Rasmussen's telephone/online survey of 1,000 American adults conducted Oct. 2-3. Only 13 percent said they were more likely to watch an NFL game because of continuing protests by Kaepernick and supporters such as Antonio Cromartie of the Colts (who was cut only two days after raising a fist during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" in London on Sunday)."

Now rewind back to the Tebow days: According to the Daily Sentinel, “Tebowing sweeps the nation.” The Sentinel notes that Tebowing has become such a major trend that it has even helped to divert attention at times away from Tebow’s failures on the field:

He gets blitzed. He gets sacked. We have no idea what he’s going to throw or not throw next ... but we know this:

He’s Tebowing.

And yet Tim Tebow is no longer in the NFL. Some say due to lack of talent. Maybe, but maybe not.

To his most fervent supporters — and there are many — Tebow was never just a quarterback. He was a champion of Christianity in shoulder pads, a wholesome, fearsome football player who loved God and touchdowns, in that order. If detractors found Tebow preachy, if he seemed too good to be true, he still won two national championships and a Heisman Trophy at the University of Florida, securing his legend as one of the greatest college players ever. But yet the debate was reduced to a basic all out consensus that there was No Room for Religion in the NFL. Kurt Warner was quoted as saying: The role religion plays here is enormous,”“When somebody professes their faith, and I was that guy for a long time, people automatically think when you praise God it’s because He makes passes go straighter or helps win games. When you lose, they say, your faith doesn’t belong here. Your God’s not helping you win.”

Why do I tie these issues together? So while my personal beliefs would NEVER ever allow me to kneel during our anthem, or show disrespect, I have to wonder if silently protesting (for any cause) is still a part of our inalienable rights? It should be, we still have a Constitution in this Country.

Yesterday, Decorated US Navy Admiral, Harry Harris’ remarks generated a lengthy standing ovation from the thousands gathered on a pier across the harbor from where the USS Arizona sank during the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.

“You can bet that the men and women we honor today – and those who died that fateful mourning 75 years ago – never took a knee and never failed to stand whenever they heard our national anthem being played,”

You have Senator Elizabeth Warren saying this:

"None of us can ignore what is happening in this country. Not when our black friends, family, neighbors literally fear dying in the streets." Warren said. "This is the reality all of us must confront, as uncomfortable and ugly as that reality may be. It comes to us to once again affirm that black lives matter, that black citizens matter, that black families matter."

Both True, and All Powerful!

So I am seeing that the National Football League with 32 teams and a net worth this year of over 74.8 Billion Dollars and all by the way loosing ratings as we speak. I believe there are ways to try to find consensus. We as a Nation must collectively find common ground. I believe we do have a right to speak out and or non-violently protest about issues that are important in our Country. The NFL is so large, and can utilize the power it has for both the good and the bad. I have to sit back and wonder, by them taking positions on issues of such a powerful topics as Religion and Civil Rights, if they have started the decline of the very power on which they were founded?

To close, I would like us to all think about a very famous John F Kennedy quote, putting our political party beliefs aside: “Without debate, without criticism no administration and no country can succeed and no republic can survive.”
― John F. Kennedy

20
3

Most Helpful Guy

• madhatters4
    i personally don't really care. i don't take offense to it and think if we take offense to something so minute it seems we are concerned with matters that are rather frivolous.

tim tebow is not in the nfl because he wasn't a good qb. i personally think his star power, which worked in tandem with his outward show of dedication to his faith kept him in the league longer

as for Admiral Harris, i don't know that he is in a position to speak for all soldiers but we know for a fact that plenty of soldiers have protested, burned the flag, or done other things that some may consider disrespectful to the flag. one look at protests in Washington during the Vietnam war will attest to this. additionally there have been vets who have come out in support of Kaepernick's or at least defending his right to protest in the manner he chooses... so i just think that Admiral Harris needs to be careful in speaking for everyone without actually asking everyone their opinions

his protest whether we like it or not is his right and has had its desired effect which is to create a dialogue and bring about awareness. if it does anything to change anything remains to be seen, and most likely it won't, but i'll defend his right to stage a non-violent protest
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• Rissyanne
    The only reason Kaepernick did this is because he was riding the bench and wasn't getting any attention. The reason I am against the kneeling thing... is he is getting paid millions of dollars to do one thing... entertain us. That is his job... no insult have the fans. With the stunt he pulled in Miami with the Castro thing... he is lucky to have any fans left. But I am sure he does have some. I am not watching football this year. I usually an big fan. But it just dont mean that much to me anymore... like a lot of people.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Prof_Don

Wow you're really quitting football over players peacefully protesting?

• Rissyanne

@Prof_Don till they get rid of him... since they haven't won a game... that won't be long.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

219
  • Other_Tommy_Wiseau
    I have more of a problem with the hypocrisy than anything else. Mainly his disgust with the country's government, but will wear a Castro t shirt. That's my main gripe. That's about it

As for the message, go ham. People don't like being uncomfortable and don't want to solve problems and would rather ignore it and put it to the side and not have to deal with it than address it and confront it head on. And someone bringing a light to it is just proof. You hear how people don't like riots that went on. Well, this is a peaceful protest. They praise MLK and Malcom X (to a slight lesser extent), but some go as far to say BLM is a terrorist organization. He's not doing that. People say inner cities are bad, a la mr trump, but they'll say that it's the minority's fault. As if racism hasn't permeated for 200+ years in this country and will managed to be solved in half a decade. People want black people to better themselves, but when black people do speak out, on, keep quiet. If it's in the public inconveniencing them, do it somewhere else to not bother me. But when it's not in the public light, people question and say that nothing is being done. People want to have it both ways

Trust me, I'm a fair person, but I find it disturbing how multiple historically oppressed groups are dismissed by another segment of society who haven't by them claiming that "racism isn't real", fix yourselves, etc. As if they remotely understand the plights, nuances, histrionics, socioeconomic disenfranchisement, etc of being a minority. Not saying white people can't. I'm not saying that all. But I'm saying that, again, it's weird how people in this country know there's some sort of problem, admit the problem to some extent, but won't even admit that racism etc doesn't exist or don't want to at least try to have the government of the rest of society remedy the issue and advance the country for a better place

It disturbs me that people understand everyone else's shoes and some level of empathy is still lost when there's 24/7 news, 1000s of examples each year that says the contrary. But again, people don't want to admit it and do anything about it cause their butts get a little tight and would rather not watch a 3 hour football game cause someone is kneeling for 2 minutes expressing that there is a problem...

I have more to say, but I kinda ran outta room 😑

As for the ratings, it's more cause the games kinda suck and there's a lot of turnover I need teams. So marquee games have bombed
    • Very wise indeed! Good words, especially at 23! Are you a law student?

• Lol! Lil' ole me? God no... I wanted to (among other things) until I realized I had to do a bunch of reading and be really smart 😂😂😂 I'm just a dude who simply likes to look a thing the bigger picture and look for ways to improve humanity. I'd like to think that, considering we live in 2016 and what we know now instead of what we thought way back when, that our culture would be bigger than what we apparently are. Especially 1 that boasts so proudly about being so great. If we were so great as we claim, why do we still have the same problems we have had for the last 50 years? We can send dudes to the moon, but can't figure out how to fix poverty... da fuck? I was just taught to think of others as I would myself and if I'm not part of the solution, I'm the problem. People want solutions, but don't want to put in the work and/or too stupid to do so or ignorant enough to even consider there's a problem to begin with... I'd honestly like to think America is better than this

• Thanks for your view points, keep being part of solutions!!! Great JOB!

• UnknownReflection
    We have freedom and we have rights. Sure. But this freedom should not be performed against the basic principles of this country.
    You can criticize, you can be unhappy, rise your voice and be part of your belief for the greater good of this nation. But do not use your voice or criticize as a way to disrespect the country and the principles. A criticize is valid when it don't offend nor disrespect other perspectives. Do it peacefully, do it right.
    -Burning American flag on 4th of July in protest of gender injustice?
    -Grilling the American flag in protest of racial injustice?
    -Burning the flag just because you disagree with Trump's election?
    -Removing the honorable flags on veterans day out of sight for protesting?
    -Kneeling on national anthem, the anthem full of glory and patriotism and the very basic symbol of this country?
    All of them above are unacceptable, kneeling on the flag who is painted with the blood of those who stood and died to make this country an independent nation? burning the flag that many people lost their lives, served and still serving in order to keep it safe, protect it's constitution and it's freedom?
    No, this is not right. Despite our achievements, just like any other nation, we have our own issues and protesting it down to this path won't fix anything but only destroying integrity and unity of this nation and this elements are what made us a nation from the first place.
  • TadCurious
    Interesting myTake. I always rooted for Tim Tebow to succeed in the NFL. I don't know to what extent if any his strong faith played in his not making it in the league. He insisted on playing quarterback, the position at which he was a star in college and one of the greatest college players of all time. Many analysts of the NFL who have contacts with NFL teams have said that if he had been willing to change positions he would still be in the league. But he didn't want to change positions, and that was his right. There were some technical issues with his throwing motion that were considered problematic for an NFL quarterback, and possibly some issues with how he read defenses. But everyone knows he's an outstanding human being. I've been critical of Colin Kaepernick for disrespecting the anthem. But at the same time I recognize his freedom to be an ass. America has been very good to him. He received a full scholarship to college and has made many millions of dollars as an NFL player. In my opinion, these NFL players who are kneeling need to understand something important: Yes, they have right to do what they're doing. But at some point a significant amount of people who would otherwise watch their games and buy tickets and provide the TV ratings are going to turn away. And if that happens the success of the league that has provided them a means to become millionaires by playing a game will be in peril. Many people want to watch sports as an escape and not have it become a forum for political stances.
  • AthleticMom
    Be it politics, sports or entertainment
    we came to be amused
    ergo give us amusement and we really don't care
    but judging others and such is amusement in itself

that said, if people REALLY gave a damn, they would NOT watch disrespectful people, their team, that network, boycott advertiser products... instead of just talking about it
  • legalboxers
    interesting Mytake.

I think it is a disgrace. You are suppose to stand attention, eyes focused on the flag, and maintain eye contact until the flag until the presentation of colors is over.
    • cipher42

Meh. Like, if you wanna be super patriotic fine, but why exactly must everyone else feel the same?

• @cipher42 I agree actually, I think we all have rights to believe as we do... did u actually read this? Are u asking me why I am? Or just making over all statement?

• @cipher42 so you think people should take a knew? Its not super patriotic. I worked in 2 volunteer organizations (military and law enforcement) it is the right thing to do. You do not do things in public to protest your beliefs.

• JuicyBrain
    Why are people talking about that? It's such an inconsequential issue! Who cares if he does backflips during the anthem? Playing the anthem is a ridiculous tradition that wastes everybody's time anyway.
  • ginny_weasley
    Not that kind of quiet I guess? 🐸☕️
    https://s11.postimg.org/bxrcqucdv/national.jpg
  • Paultripp
    As an avid football fan... the lower ratings are not as much to do with Kap as people dumping cable and going to internet based tv viewing. Sports are the only thing that hasn't moved to the net, and when it does network tv may go the way if blockbuster. People don't like what Kap is doing, but the lower ratings this year are likely for a different reason...
    • Never thought in those terms, but I do know that cable TV is also struggling in the market place! Thnx

• Dred1614returns
    Every single NFL player that kneels is a laughable hypocrite.
  • coolbreeze
    Everybody has the right to express themselves but expressing one self in the usa comes with a big price. Sometimes it can cost a person their job.
  • ThisDudeHere
    I read how people say that it's disrespectful but wasn't America the land of the free n shit? Shouldn't it be your right to express said freedom by not looking at the flag or even burning it?
  • Phoenix98
    It's disgraceful to not stand to attention with your eyes focused on the flag it's disrespectful to our men in uniform and those who have been crippled fighting for that flag. To knee with your eyes facing the floor is eeh.

Also before you say it's super patriotic or something to stand to attention with your eyes focused on the flag it really isn't it's just done as a sign of respect for the flag and what it stand for and for the people who fight for it. Any soldier or law enforcement officer will tell you that.

But what I think was most disrespectful was the fact that he wore a Castro shirt.
  • lazermazer
    i ' m not NFL fan, you guys call that football?, lol.
    thnkx for invite
  • TheGOM
    Go to work
    Do your job
    The gridiron is not a stage for your personal opinions
  • The_flying_Frenchman
    What is this? Another Christian cries persecution whilst being the 80 percent majority and jerking off "murica" harder than Michael bay? Typical😒

Apologies, but that shit really is getting old.
  • Waffles731
    I actually think tebow is kinda pathetic praying over football.
    A higher power who is omniscient and omnipotent and you pray over a football game?
    Seriously, he's got WAY better things to do
  • FemWorship
    If it bothers me, as if they know what they are doing, then I'll turn the channel
  • glock33sig357
    I as an outsider can only say i don't understand the game; but i feel that the USA being one nation when it's not , but a continent divided by class and race under the almighty greenbacks. God's name is used to keep those wronged from fighting the injustices that are made against them/keep them poor , ignorant and separated. If you choose to stand, stand for your rights as a human being not for any flag because no flag i found grants anyone freedom. Freedom comes from the will to fight to gain it for your friends , family and the generations to come that inhabit the earth and will kneel to pay respect to those that sacrifice themselves so i don't have to live through what they did and stop it from becoming my children's future.
  • Kachatterjee
    Very well put.
  • JohnDoe3000
    Nice, thoughtful myTake!
  • Iraqveteran666
    I've boycottedited the NFL for a year so.