Emma Watson: a Hypocrite Representing Feminism?

spring

Feminist...that word may bring many different thoughts and ideas to your mind. But what does it REALLY mean? Well, the Merriam-Webster definition states,

1: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.
2: organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests.

Why then, can so many feminists themselves not agree? Every day I see something in the news about feminists. However, the latest controversy surrounds a very vocal feminist, Emma Watson. She is being called a hypocrite for posing braless for a Vanity Fair shoot, sparking controversy in the feminist community.

In the interview with Vanity Fair, Watson talks about her life from playing Hermione Grainger to championing women's rights as a UN Ambassador and her upcoming role in the live action remake of a classic, Beauty and the Beast.

The high fashion photo shoot features Watson in a wide variety of haute couture outfits. But, one image in particular has proven controversial on social media and some are questioning Watson's feminist values. This image of Watson sporting a Burberry shrug braless is the center of the controversy.

Many people took to Twitter to express their thoughts, with some claiming no one would take her or feminism seriously after this.

Some find Watson's action to be hypocritical considering her past of speaking up against over sexualization of women in the media.

One person mentioned the hypocrisy given recent calls from feminists to ban images of topless models in newspapers.

Others jumped at the opportunity to defend Emma Watson by saying those who are angry don't know what feminism is and that the outrage demonstrates why feminism is needed.

This brings up the question, if so many feminists can't even agree on what is okay and what is not okay, how then can anyone else take the movement seriously? Is it okay for women to expose their bodies because it's a personal choice or does exposing our bodies exploit and objectify women, therefore going against feminist ideals? It seems like these are things the feminist movement as a whole needs to figure out. If we are fighting among ourselves, it takes the focus away from other important goals.

What are your thoughts? Post your opinions below!

71
38
38Girl Opinion
71Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• Anonymous
    Feminists do agree on the definition of feminism. Feminazis are the ones who are disagreeing, but hey, they are not true feminists, they are just misandrists.
    There is no valid reason why Emma shouldn't pose braless.
    The only reason why she is under attack of alleged "feminists" is because she is beautiful, while the so-called "feminists" (actually feminazis) are ugly, fat, old hags, who are jealous of all attractive women.
    Beauty never contradicts feminism, it contradicts feminazism. The main problems are self-proclaimed "feminists" (Feminazis), who are very vocal in promoting hatred towards men, in the name of "feminism", although, their philosophy has nothing to do with the original feminism.
    LikeDisagree 10 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• Elarra
    She's just annoying in general. I was mad when she got the part for Belle in Beauty and The Beast. I don't even want to see the movie because of her.
    LikeDisagree 15 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

3770
  • LittleSally
    Please... if she wants to show her body off - it's 100% her choice.
    + she's been a model for Burberry for years now...
    + it was probably too much money to say no to...

It has nothing to do with feminism - at all.
    LikeDisagree 16 People
    • I thought you werent biased yet here you are, not admitting the hypocrisy lol. It has everything to do with feminisim. She comes out as a self proclaimed feminist, then she slanders beyonce for posing topless and goes on about how women are being objectified by media then she turns around and does the SAME exact thing. On top of all of this, it seems like now a lot of feminists are arguing with eachother as if none of them are on the same side. Feminism has become a big joke due to the hypocrisy and shaming that media has pushed to younger females

• @applesandoranges22 Honey, you know nothing about me...
      https://www.dictionary.com/

• so you are a dictionary?

• lumos
    "Why then, can so many feminists themselves not agree?"

Because, as with any other ideology, there are many different branches within feminism that sort of separate feminists, and that not all feminists might agree with.
    This is like saying that Christianity shouldn't be taken seriously as a religion, because Christians have divided themselves into Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant etc.
    I still don't really get why people get so surprised over the fact that such a large group of people have their own interpretations and views within the ideology. It's literally impossible for everyone to agree on everything, that's a fact. Even people within political parties still have slightly different views than their fellow party members. Why should a movement or ideology be discredited simply because people have slightly different opinions sometimes? I think having different opinions is healthy for movements, as it creates discussions and helps the movement move forward on different kinds of issues.
    LikeDisagree 11 People
  • JuicyBrain
    I don't understand why she can't be a feminist and show her breasts if she wants to. Isn't that what feminism is about? Women being in charge of themselves and their life? She hasn't been forced to show her breasts, she decided to show them. By the way, we don't see much to be honest...
    LikeDisagree 9 People
    • According to this post she criticized beyonce for going topless. contradiction

• @FroggyDoggy96 all of feminism these days is one big contradiction. They run in circles and are not really accomplishing things that would better this society.

• JuicyBrain

@FroggyDoggy96 Only crazy people never change their mind. What if her views softened a bit?

• AskAlthea
    I can understand why she's under attack if she apparently shamed Beyonce for exposing her body and then opts to do the same, that's hypocritical. I don't follow celebrity news so not sure the circumstances of it, plus if that happened, you're definitely going to have a lot of Queen B supporter's shitting on Emma for the apparent hypocrisy.
    I do have a problem with the way feminists are perceived and honestly, if Emma did throw shade on Beyonce for exposing herself, I do disagree. If a woman chooses of her own free will to dress in a particular way, what right do we have to tell them how to dress? To throw shade on a woman like that is not being a feminist. To throw shade on them and then do it yourself makes you a hypocrite.
    I do think a lot of people take easier to Emma being a feminist because she played Hermione. A strong independent intelligent female character, a character who is very much a feminist.
    What is feminism, to me it's allowing women to make decisions of their own free will. If you are doing something because you are told to, it is not your free will, if you do something because it is against the establishment, it is not free will, if you do something because it is truly what you wish to do, then whether the action agrees with society or is against it doesn't matter, you did it because that is what you wanted. It means if you want to go into a non-traditionally female field, go for it, but if you want to go into a traditionally female field, you shouldn't get shade for that decision. It means if you want to bare your body for public, go for it, we shouldn't shame that, but if you want completely button up, we shouldn't shame you for being a prude. And so, baring your body doesn't make you MORE of a feminist, but shaming another feminist for her choice of what she chose to do with her body does make you LESS of one.
    LikeDisagree 4 People
  • YourFutureEx
    It's okay to expose their bodies. It's their right and that's what makes them popular. But it is hypocritical if you are representing something at a world level. You should be responsible.

She's a dick. She is the last woman on the Earth I'll give a fuck about.
    LikeDisagree 7 People
    • cipher42

Why is exposing one's body such a terrible thing?

• @cipher42 I don't think it is. But before giving statements, you should think twice if you can follow them or not, especially when you are a public figure.

• Tdieseler
    @DooMguy and we are RIGHT BACK to the very thing all smart men have always said. Women dont even know what the fuck they want.
    Even in their own civil rights fight/campaign, they are getting their destination and endgame confused. Many join without even knowing what its really about and because the originals themselves dont even know what they want, they can't pass down a clear message to the younger ones.
    I've met feminists that believe it should be ok to be topless, and I've met feminists that think women going topless on tv is an affront to females... lol.. i mean really? make up your minds.

To all you feminists out there and the feministic morons (femi-nazis) I've been watching your movement for the LONGEST and i have to say, I am a BIG BIG fan. and if I had my way, i would want equality for all women, "politically, economically, and socially". I mean, i LOVE to watch things just crash and burn, i would fight tooth and nail for THE DAY women will become Male equals. Thats the day that feminists around the world would renounce it.
    You want to be men, or like men? PLEASE have at it. You have NO IDEA how hard it is to be one.

Hey Feminists, here's your official definition:
    Feminism: noun. the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.
    This is the modern day definition of Feminism:
    Feminism: noun. advocacy of a bunch of already entitled moron (not all of em) in the female gender who regardless of how good they have it, want more anyway. People who want to have all the "perks" of being male, and leaving its down sides, thereby keeping the perks of being female as well.

PLEASE World, lets hurry up and give it to them. I would love to stop paying for dates, having expectations on some stupid circle with a rock on it, won't be afraid of losing half my stuff after, and if some higher positioned person at work gets pregnant, i can put in for a promotion as that spot will be empty soon.
    Oh, the list goes on, but those are just a drop of the things that irk me somewhat.
    List all the double standards... and you get more on that list.
    Feminism... pheh stupid groups misinterpreting the mission. Just like the dumbass MGTOW's.
    You can't be fully equal you morons, we were created to be Co-Dependent. One needs the other and vice versa. Who's fucking measuring. As long as we all do our part, whats the problem?
    LikeDisagree 3 People
  • Tanuron
    Im no fan of feminism nor Emma watson honestly, since seen some of her "feminist speeches" guess could call it where yeah just spread lies, but even so. Dont think she's a hypocrite at all with this, I think thats just nonsence. How on earth can a movement or whatever claim to be about freedom in so many ways yet condem any women really who choose to go naked even if they wanted to, lets not forget "free the nipple" thing too that a lot of feminist stood behind.

Regardless, lets not forget either that objectification always come from the viewer really, cause its a perception thing. As horrible it may be to play with this idea (since im ugly, lol) , lets say I got naked and made some photoes for a magazin. To me, I would do it cause I wanted to, to express or share myself in a way. Thats my view. Like if other people say and decide that im objectifying myself cause maybe some women would like look at my body, make remarks, only see me as a body etc, see less of me anyway. They are the one who do the objectifying naturally. if the person themselves dont feel like what they are doing is objectifying, then no such thing takes place other than for those people who do objectify you, that turns you into it. But that is their problem and not yours.
    LikeDisagree 3 People
  • TiffyPuff
    So like, I think the guys have a point when they say feminism makes women ugly, cuz those photos are awful!! Like, her haircut makes her look like a teenage boy with boobs 😂😂

And there's feminist things I agree with, but it seems kinda dumb sometimes. I mean, isn't being sexual just human? What's wrong with being pretty and desirable?

Guys shouldn't look at women just as sex objects, but like, if I want to have a baby (a feminine thing cuz duh), shouldn't I want guys to want to fuck me? So like, one of the things that's most women-y about us basically requires us to be sexy, so like, being feminine can't be separated from being sexually desirable. Why shouldn't blindly be proud of one of the things about women that makes me a woman?

So guys seeing us sexually isn't bad, it's kinda like we're doing it right. It's only bad if that's the only thing they want, but like, I get to choose who has sex with me, so if a guy doesn't appreciate me right, I can just say fuck off and be responsible and stuff. So I don't think it's necessary to be angry at guys for liking us sexually, cuz we're supposed to be and they're supposed to get attracted.
    Like 1 Person
    • TiffyPuff

So I think it's fine she had a topless shoot. 😊
      Except for the part where she looks awful! πŸ˜‚

• teenage boy with boobs looool

• Maypai
    It seems like the women who are upset have sense, while the feminists who always quote "this is why we need feminism" are a bunch of air heads who were raised without any morals. I fucking hate those damn bitches.

Oh! And I could care less if she's a hypocrite or not. I dislike her regardless.
    LikeDisagree 6 People
  • Anpu23
    There are two schools of feminism "sex positive" and "sex negative", Sex positive believe that a woman s the owner of her body, and should be able to do whatever she want's with it. Pose nude, have sex with anyone she wishes, and for some even sell it in prostitution. It's her body, she can do as she wishes with it.

Sex negative on the other hand feels that a woman selling her body for (presumably) male gratification is being exploited, and demeaning not only herself but ALL women (the concept of "one woman" being a staple of second wave feminist thought). She's encouraging rape couture, and the objectification of women in general.

That's why you see both sides of this argument.
    As for the "dictionary definition" of feminism, it certainly doesn't cover every issue, and thought within the feminist camps. I honestly feel that this definition is flawed, and wrote a mytake about it: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a27260-the-definition-of-feminism-my-proposed-revision
    Like 2 People
    • sex negative feminism is utter crap. How can a feminist state that she believes that women have a choice and should exercise it and yet if they don't exercise the choice they are wrong. What are women who do like sex or gym or attention or fashion meant to do? Most of these females who believe that men can't decide for women but yet they can decide for other women are sexist feminazis.

• Anpu23

@victoriaxoxo I don't advocate for either, in fact I am anti-feminist I am just explaining.

• So you don't believe a woman has a right over her body? Suppose you could be referring to Society's standards but who sets them and therefore can change them? Isn't it humans themselves? So I suppose you would oppose free the nipple either because women have no right to expose their nipples or because it is against societies norms for females, but not for males, to expose their breasts. Let's assume you support the latter, then I'd like to know why since if there are no sufficient reasons why women can't be allowed (and there aren't, there are reasons but they are hardly sufficient at core) to expose some boob, who are we to halt this change in convention. Why are we playing hot potato with conventional change, we both know if enough of the population wants the change, eventually it will have to happen, whether in this generation or the next. Sure 'not in my time' mentality might seem comforting but is it really a good long-term solution?

• FakeName123
    "Many people took to Twitter to express their thoughts, with some claiming no one would take her or feminism seriously after this."

Many people do not take it seriously to begin with.

This case about Watson seems to be blown out of proportion though. She is nowhere important nor influental enough to be interesting for that matter. But yes, she is a hypocrite. Not because of that though.
    LikeDisagree 9 People
  • Izumiblu
    To my mind, feminism is a washed up out of date idea. Yes, at one time it was an important ideal in the west, but now its just silliness. If anything, me being a woman makes it easier for me than many men i work with so any one that says they are taking up women's rights in the west... my first question is... do you have nothing better to do... really? Take up women's rights in Saudi Arabia... or disadvantaged teens, or homeless as a cause... but feminism is really just a way for a lazy person to claim they have taken up a righteous cause by just doing what they would do anyway. Who cares?
    LikeDisagree 16 People
  • xDocilexFaeriex
    Feminism pisses me off. Is this in favor of feminism? Yes. This proves the hypocrisy and irony of the movement lol. Emma Watson is a feminist... and feminists are all about showing their bodies and against slut shaming. Sooo... let's just forget about this. Oh and us, motherly-non-feminist women are the cause of the wage gap. Take those higher positions in your jobs... if you don't have kids! Lol.
    LikeDisagree 5 People
  • Waffles731
    Amanda Palmer, a famous and very talented singer, and wife of Novelist Neil Gaiman is a feminist,
    She also did a song called Dear Daily mail after the daily mail did an article on her nip slip in the glastonbury festival, where performing dear daily mail she ripped off a kimono on stage revealing her fully nude body during the song,

Dear Daily Mail,
    It has come to my recent attention
    That my recent appearance at Glastonbury festivals kindly received a mention
    I was doing a number of things on that stage up to and including singing songs (like you do),
    But you chose to ignore that and instead you published a feature review of my boob!

Dear Daily Mail,
    there's a thing called a search engine: use it!
    If youd googled my tits in advance, youd have found that your photos are hardly exclusive
    In addition you state that my breast had escaped from my bra like a thief on the run,
    You do you know that it wasn't attempting to just take in the RARE British sun?

Dear Daily Mail,
    Its so sad what you tabloids are doing,
    Your focus on debasing womens appearances ruins our species of humans,
    But a rag is a rag and far be it from me to go censoring anyone - OH NO
    It appears that my entire body is currently trying to escape this kimono.

Dear Daily Mail,
    You misogynist pile of twats,
    Im tired of these baby bumps, vadge flashes, muffintops,
    Where are the newsworthy COCKS?
    If Iggy or Jagger or Jowie go topless the news barely causes a ripple...
    Blah blah blah feminist blah blah blah gender shit blah blah blah
    OH MY GOD! NIPPLE!

Dear Daily Mail,
    You will never write about this night,
    I know that because I've addressed you directly, I've made myself no fun to fight;
    But thanks to the internet, people all over the world can enjoy this discourse,
    And commune with a roomful of people in London who aren't drinking kool-aid like yours!

And though there be millions of people wholly accept the cultural bar where you have it at,
    There are plenty of others whore perfectly willing to see breasts in their natural habitat!

I keenly anticipate your highly literate coverage of upcoming tours
    Like 2 People
    • Waffles731

I'd link a video but I'm pretty sure it would get taken down for the full frontal nudity part

• Bananaman177
    What real feminists actually believe:
    https://i.imgur.com/hKwZXti.png

What useful idiots think feminism means:
    s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/.../original.jpg

Who really FUNDS feminism and feminist actions throughout the West:
    cdn-webimages.wimages.net/...9ad70f69a8f-v5-wm.jpg

1.bp.blogspot.com/.../Capture.JPG

Feminism at the top of the pyramid is very different than what gets shoved down the useful idiots' throats down on the bottom levels. Follow the money. It's all a dystopian dysgenics program at the highest levels. They actually hate and despise women and men and children and everything else.
    Disagree 1 Person
  • Bandit74
    Well if she critized Beyonce for how she exposes her body then that does seem a bit hypocritical.

Personally, I am sick of feminists trying to tell us how we are supposed to perceive their choices. Like it is your right to get paid to expose your body and pose for sexual pictures if thats what you want. There is nothing that prohibits it, but you can't then demand that everyone has to perceive your choice of expression the way you intended them to.
    LikeDisagree 8 People
  • TadCurious
    The feminists, like all SJW cliques, eventually devour their own. Like all good cultural Marxists, they are always on the lookout for someone who strays from whatever the orthodoxy of that day is and who is therefore not "pure" in fighting for the struggle.
    LikeDisagree 9 People
  • ΉOMO_乇尺乇CTU丂
    The ordeal here reminds of something on a bigger scale…. The saying here is β€˜β€™How can feminist be taken seriously when feminists can’t even agree on something, Emma Watson posing provocative in a ttitty showing pose’’

This reminds me of USA.. If we look at their theoretical doctrine which is the constitution. Which is concise and pretty clear on its values but in reality their action is vastly different. How can American empire be taken seriously if they act so hypocritical and their two party system can't agree on many things hmmm?
    www.democracynow.org/.../iraq-shock-and-awe.jpg

https://www.wepsite.de/Steve_Bell_Shock_and_Awe.jpg

www.thesleuthjournal.com/.../Obama-drones.jpg

LikeDisagree 2 People
  • MaiNameIsSunshine
    Feminism is about being free to do what you want. Free the nipple is a subcategory of this idea so...
    LikeDisagree 7 People
  • windknowsmyname
    I really don't see the big deal when men was seen as pussies and bitches and weak for speaking about how stupid the feminist movement was in the first place. It takes world wide disapproval for people to wake up and see that it was a dumb movement from the start.
    LikeDisagree 5 People
  • Show More (87)