Emma Watson: a Hypocrite Representing Feminism?

spring

Feminist...that word may bring many different thoughts and ideas to your mind. But what does it REALLY mean? Well, the Merriam-Webster definition states,

1: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.
2: organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests.

Why then, can so many feminists themselves not agree? Every day I see something in the news about feminists. However, the latest controversy surrounds a very vocal feminist, Emma Watson. She is being called a hypocrite for posing braless for a Vanity Fair shoot, sparking controversy in the feminist community.

In the interview with Vanity Fair, Watson talks about her life from playing Hermione Grainger to championing women's rights as a UN Ambassador and her upcoming role in the live action remake of a classic, Beauty and the Beast.

The high fashion photo shoot features Watson in a wide variety of haute couture outfits. But, one image in particular has proven controversial on social media and some are questioning Watson's feminist values. This image of Watson sporting a Burberry shrug braless is the center of the controversy.

Many people took to Twitter to express their thoughts, with some claiming no one would take her or feminism seriously after this.

Some find Watson's action to be hypocritical considering her past of speaking up against over sexualization of women in the media.

One person mentioned the hypocrisy given recent calls from feminists to ban images of topless models in newspapers.

Others jumped at the opportunity to defend Emma Watson by saying those who are angry don't know what feminism is and that the outrage demonstrates why feminism is needed.

This brings up the question, if so many feminists can't even agree on what is okay and what is not okay, how then can anyone else take the movement seriously? Is it okay for women to expose their bodies because it's a personal choice or does exposing our bodies exploit and objectify women, therefore going against feminist ideals? It seems like these are things the feminist movement as a whole needs to figure out. If we are fighting among ourselves, it takes the focus away from other important goals.

What are your thoughts? Post your opinions below!

71
38

Most Helpful Guy

• Anonymous
    Feminists do agree on the definition of feminism. Feminazis are the ones who are disagreeing, but hey, they are not true feminists, they are just misandrists.
    There is no valid reason why Emma shouldn't pose braless.
    The only reason why she is under attack of alleged "feminists" is because she is beautiful, while the so-called "feminists" (actually feminazis) are ugly, fat, old hags, who are jealous of all attractive women.
    Beauty never contradicts feminism, it contradicts feminazism. The main problems are self-proclaimed "feminists" (Feminazis), who are very vocal in promoting hatred towards men, in the name of "feminism", although, their philosophy has nothing to do with the original feminism.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• Elarra
    She's just annoying in general. I was mad when she got the part for Belle in Beauty and The Beast. I don't even want to see the movie because of her.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

3770
  • LittleSally
    Please... if she wants to show her body off - it's 100% her choice.
    + she's been a model for Burberry for years now...
    + it was probably too much money to say no to...

It has nothing to do with feminism - at all.
    • I thought you werent biased yet here you are, not admitting the hypocrisy lol. It has everything to do with feminisim. She comes out as a self proclaimed feminist, then she slanders beyonce for posing topless and goes on about how women are being objectified by media then she turns around and does the SAME exact thing. On top of all of this, it seems like now a lot of feminists are arguing with eachother as if none of them are on the same side. Feminism has become a big joke due to the hypocrisy and shaming that media has pushed to younger females

• @applesandoranges22 Honey, you know nothing about me...
      https://www.dictionary.com/

• so you are a dictionary?

• lumos
    "Why then, can so many feminists themselves not agree?"

Because, as with any other ideology, there are many different branches within feminism that sort of separate feminists, and that not all feminists might agree with.
    This is like saying that Christianity shouldn't be taken seriously as a religion, because Christians have divided themselves into Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant etc.
    I still don't really get why people get so surprised over the fact that such a large group of people have their own interpretations and views within the ideology. It's literally impossible for everyone to agree on everything, that's a fact. Even people within political parties still have slightly different views than their fellow party members. Why should a movement or ideology be discredited simply because people have slightly different opinions sometimes? I think having different opinions is healthy for movements, as it creates discussions and helps the movement move forward on different kinds of issues.
  • JuicyBrain
    I don't understand why she can't be a feminist and show her breasts if she wants to. Isn't that what feminism is about? Women being in charge of themselves and their life? She hasn't been forced to show her breasts, she decided to show them. By the way, we don't see much to be honest...
    • According to this post she criticized beyonce for going topless. contradiction

• @FroggyDoggy96 all of feminism these days is one big contradiction. They run in circles and are not really accomplishing things that would better this society.

• JuicyBrain

@FroggyDoggy96 Only crazy people never change their mind. What if her views softened a bit?

• AskAlthea
    I can understand why she's under attack if she apparently shamed Beyonce for exposing her body and then opts to do the same, that's hypocritical. I don't follow celebrity news so not sure the circumstances of it, plus if that happened, you're definitely going to have a lot of Queen B supporter's shitting on Emma for the apparent hypocrisy.
    I do have a problem with the way feminists are perceived and honestly, if Emma did throw shade on Beyonce for exposing herself, I do disagree. If a woman chooses of her own free will to dress in a particular way, what right do we have to tell them how to dress? To throw shade on a woman like that is not being a feminist. To throw shade on them and then do it yourself makes you a hypocrite.
    I do think a lot of people take easier to Emma being a feminist because she played Hermione. A strong independent intelligent female character, a character who is very much a feminist.
    What is feminism, to me it's allowing women to make decisions of their own free will. If you are doing something because you are told to, it is not your free will, if you do something because it is against the establishment, it is not free will, if you do something because it is truly what you wish to do, then whether the action agrees with society or is against it doesn't matter, you did it because that is what you wanted. It means if you want to go into a non-traditionally female field, go for it, but if you want to go into a traditionally female field, you shouldn't get shade for that decision. It means if you want to bare your body for public, go for it, we shouldn't shame that, but if you want completely button up, we shouldn't shame you for being a prude. And so, baring your body doesn't make you MORE of a feminist, but shaming another feminist for her choice of what she chose to do with her body does make you LESS of one.
  • YourFutureEx
    It's okay to expose their bodies. It's their right and that's what makes them popular. But it is hypocritical if you are representing something at a world level. You should be responsible.

She's a dick. She is the last woman on the Earth I'll give a fuck about.
    • cipher42

Why is exposing one's body such a terrible thing?

• @cipher42 I don't think it is. But before giving statements, you should think twice if you can follow them or not, especially when you are a public figure.

• Tdieseler
    @DooMguy and we are RIGHT BACK to the very thing all smart men have always said. Women dont even know what the fuck they want.
    Even in their own civil rights fight/campaign, they are getting their destination and endgame confused. Many join without even knowing what its really about and because the originals themselves dont even know what they want, they can't pass down a clear message to the younger ones.
    I've met feminists that believe it should be ok to be topless, and I've met feminists that think women going topless on tv is an affront to females... lol.. i mean really? make up your minds.

To all you feminists out there and the feministic morons (femi-nazis) I've been watching your movement for the LONGEST and i have to say, I am a BIG BIG fan. and if I had my way, i would want equality for all women, "politically, economically, and socially". I mean, i LOVE to watch things just crash and burn, i would fight tooth and nail for THE DAY women will become Male equals. Thats the day that feminists around the world would renounce it.
    You want to be men, or like men? PLEASE have at it. You have NO IDEA how hard it is to be one.

Hey Feminists, here's your official definition:
    Feminism: noun. the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.
    This is the modern day definition of Feminism:
    Feminism: noun. advocacy of a bunch of already entitled moron (not all of em) in the female gender who regardless of how good they have it, want more anyway. People who want to have all the "perks" of being male, and leaving its down sides, thereby keeping the perks of being female as well.

PLEASE World, lets hurry up and give it to them. I would love to stop paying for dates, having expectations on some stupid circle with a rock on it, won't be afraid of losing half my stuff after, and if some higher positioned person at work gets pregnant, i can put in for a promotion as that spot will be empty soon.
    Oh, the list goes on, but those are just a drop of the things that irk me somewhat.
    List all the double standards... and you get more on that list.
    Feminism... pheh stupid groups misinterpreting the mission. Just like the dumbass MGTOW's.
    You can't be fully equal you morons, we were created to be Co-Dependent. One needs the other and vice versa. Who's fucking measuring. As long as we all do our part, whats the problem?
  • Tanuron
    Im no fan of feminism nor Emma watson honestly, since seen some of her "feminist speeches" guess could call it where yeah just spread lies, but even so. Dont think she's a hypocrite at all with this, I think thats just nonsence. How on earth can a movement or whatever claim to be about freedom in so many ways yet condem any women really who choose to go naked even if they wanted to, lets not forget "free the nipple" thing too that a lot of feminist stood behind.

Regardless, lets not forget either that objectification always come from the viewer really, cause its a perception thing. As horrible it may be to play with this idea (since im ugly, lol) , lets say I got naked and made some photoes for a magazin. To me, I would do it cause I wanted to, to express or share myself in a way. Thats my view. Like if other people say and decide that im objectifying myself cause maybe some women would like look at my body, make remarks, only see me as a body etc, see less of me anyway. They are the one who do the objectifying naturally. if the person themselves dont feel like what they are doing is objectifying, then no such thing takes place other than for those people who do objectify you, that turns you into it. But that is their problem and not yours.
  • TiffyPuff
    So like, I think the guys have a point when they say feminism makes women ugly, cuz those photos are awful!! Like, her haircut makes her look like a teenage boy with boobs 😂😂

And there's feminist things I agree with, but it seems kinda dumb sometimes. I mean, isn't being sexual just human? What's wrong with being pretty and desirable?

Guys shouldn't look at women just as sex objects, but like, if I want to have a baby (a feminine thing cuz duh), shouldn't I want guys to want to fuck me? So like, one of the things that's most women-y about us basically requires us to be sexy, so like, being feminine can't be separated from being sexually desirable. Why shouldn't blindly be proud of one of the things about women that makes me a woman?

So guys seeing us sexually isn't bad, it's kinda like we're doing it right. It's only bad if that's the only thing they want, but like, I get to choose who has sex with me, so if a guy doesn't appreciate me right, I can just say fuck off and be responsible and stuff. So I don't think it's necessary to be angry at guys for liking us sexually, cuz we're supposed to be and they're supposed to get attracted.
    • TiffyPuff

So I think it's fine she had a topless shoot. 😊
      Except for the part where she looks awful! πŸ˜‚

• teenage boy with boobs looool

• Maypai
    It seems like the women who are upset have sense, while the feminists who always quote "this is why we need feminism" are a bunch of air heads who were raised without any morals. I fucking hate those damn bitches.

Oh! And I could care less if she's a hypocrite or not. I dislike her regardless.
  • Anpu23
    There are two schools of feminism "sex positive" and "sex negative", Sex positive believe that a woman s the owner of her body, and should be able to do whatever she want's with it. Pose nude, have sex with anyone she wishes, and for some even sell it in prostitution. It's her body, she can do as she wishes with it.

Sex negative on the other hand feels that a woman selling her body for (presumably) male gratification is being exploited, and demeaning not only herself but ALL women (the concept of "one woman" being a staple of second wave feminist thought). She's encouraging rape couture, and the objectification of women in general.

That's why you see both sides of this argument.
    As for the "dictionary definition" of feminism, it certainly doesn't cover every issue, and thought within the feminist camps. I honestly feel that this definition is flawed, and wrote a mytake about it: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a27260-the-definition-of-feminism-my-proposed-revision
    • sex negative feminism is utter crap. How can a feminist state that she believes that women have a choice and should exercise it and yet if they don't exercise the choice they are wrong. What are women who do like sex or gym or attention or fashion meant to do? Most of these females who believe that men can't decide for women but yet they can decide for other women are sexist feminazis.

• Anpu23

@victoriaxoxo I don't advocate for either, in fact I am anti-feminist I am just explaining.

• So you don't believe a woman has a right over her body? Suppose you could be referring to Society's standards but who sets them and therefore can change them? Isn't it humans themselves? So I suppose you would oppose free the nipple either because women have no right to expose their nipples or because it is against societies norms for females, but not for males, to expose their breasts. Let's assume you support the latter, then I'd like to know why since if there are no sufficient reasons why women can't be allowed (and there aren't, there are reasons but they are hardly sufficient at core) to expose some boob, who are we to halt this change in convention. Why are we playing hot potato with conventional change, we both know if enough of the population wants the change, eventually it will have to happen, whether in this generation or the next. Sure 'not in my time' mentality might seem comforting but is it really a good long-term solution?

• FakeName123
    "Many people took to Twitter to express their thoughts, with some claiming no one would take her or feminism seriously after this."

Many people do not take it seriously to begin with.

This case about Watson seems to be blown out of proportion though. She is nowhere important nor influental enough to be interesting for that matter. But yes, she is a hypocrite. Not because of that though.
  • Izumiblu
    To my mind, feminism is a washed up out of date idea. Yes, at one time it was an important ideal in the west, but now its just silliness. If anything, me being a woman makes it easier for me than many men i work with so any one that says they are taking up women's rights in the west... my first question is... do you have nothing better to do... really? Take up women's rights in Saudi Arabia... or disadvantaged teens, or homeless as a cause... but feminism is really just a way for a lazy person to claim they have taken up a righteous cause by just doing what they would do anyway. Who cares?
  • xDocilexFaeriex
    Feminism pisses me off. Is this in favor of feminism? Yes. This proves the hypocrisy and irony of the movement lol. Emma Watson is a feminist... and feminists are all about showing their bodies and against slut shaming. Sooo... let's just forget about this. Oh and us, motherly-non-feminist women are the cause of the wage gap. Take those higher positions in your jobs... if you don't have kids! Lol.
  • Waffles731
    Amanda Palmer, a famous and very talented singer, and wife of Novelist Neil Gaiman is a feminist,
    She also did a song called Dear Daily mail after the daily mail did an article on her nip slip in the glastonbury festival, where performing dear daily mail she ripped off a kimono on stage revealing her fully nude body during the song,

Dear Daily Mail,
    It has come to my recent attention
    That my recent appearance at Glastonbury festivals kindly received a mention
    I was doing a number of things on that stage up to and including singing songs (like you do),
    But you chose to ignore that and instead you published a feature review of my boob!

Dear Daily Mail,
    there's a thing called a search engine: use it!
    If youd googled my tits in advance, youd have found that your photos are hardly exclusive
    In addition you state that my breast had escaped from my bra like a thief on the run,
    You do you know that it wasn't attempting to just take in the RARE British sun?

Dear Daily Mail,
    Its so sad what you tabloids are doing,
    Your focus on debasing womens appearances ruins our species of humans,
    But a rag is a rag and far be it from me to go censoring anyone - OH NO
    It appears that my entire body is currently trying to escape this kimono.

Dear Daily Mail,
    You misogynist pile of twats,
    Im tired of these baby bumps, vadge flashes, muffintops,
    Where are the newsworthy COCKS?
    If Iggy or Jagger or Jowie go topless the news barely causes a ripple...
    Blah blah blah feminist blah blah blah gender shit blah blah blah
    OH MY GOD! NIPPLE!

Dear Daily Mail,
    You will never write about this night,
    I know that because I've addressed you directly, I've made myself no fun to fight;
    But thanks to the internet, people all over the world can enjoy this discourse,
    And commune with a roomful of people in London who aren't drinking kool-aid like yours!

And though there be millions of people wholly accept the cultural bar where you have it at,
    There are plenty of others whore perfectly willing to see breasts in their natural habitat!

I keenly anticipate your highly literate coverage of upcoming tours
    • Waffles731

I'd link a video but I'm pretty sure it would get taken down for the full frontal nudity part

• Bananaman177
    What real feminists actually believe:
    https://i.imgur.com/hKwZXti.png

What useful idiots think feminism means:
    s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/.../original.jpg

Who really FUNDS feminism and feminist actions throughout the West:
    cdn-webimages.wimages.net/...9ad70f69a8f-v5-wm.jpg

1.bp.blogspot.com/.../Capture.JPG

Feminism at the top of the pyramid is very different than what gets shoved down the useful idiots' throats down on the bottom levels. Follow the money. It's all a dystopian dysgenics program at the highest levels. They actually hate and despise women and men and children and everything else.
  • Bandit74
    Well if she critized Beyonce for how she exposes her body then that does seem a bit hypocritical.

Personally, I am sick of feminists trying to tell us how we are supposed to perceive their choices. Like it is your right to get paid to expose your body and pose for sexual pictures if thats what you want. There is nothing that prohibits it, but you can't then demand that everyone has to perceive your choice of expression the way you intended them to.
  • TadCurious
    The feminists, like all SJW cliques, eventually devour their own. Like all good cultural Marxists, they are always on the lookout for someone who strays from whatever the orthodoxy of that day is and who is therefore not "pure" in fighting for the struggle.
  • ΉOMO_乇尺乇CTU丂
    The ordeal here reminds of something on a bigger scale…. The saying here is β€˜β€™How can feminist be taken seriously when feminists can’t even agree on something, Emma Watson posing provocative in a ttitty showing pose’’

This reminds me of USA.. If we look at their theoretical doctrine which is the constitution. Which is concise and pretty clear on its values but in reality their action is vastly different. How can American empire be taken seriously if they act so hypocritical and their two party system can't agree on many things hmmm?
    www.democracynow.org/.../iraq-shock-and-awe.jpg

https://www.wepsite.de/Steve_Bell_Shock_and_Awe.jpg

www.thesleuthjournal.com/.../Obama-drones.jpg

• MaiNameIsSunshine
    Feminism is about being free to do what you want. Free the nipple is a subcategory of this idea so...
  • windknowsmyname
    I really don't see the big deal when men was seen as pussies and bitches and weak for speaking about how stupid the feminist movement was in the first place. It takes world wide disapproval for people to wake up and see that it was a dumb movement from the start.
  • Panay
    People just need to realise sexualisation is not the same thing as objectification!
    Objectification is degrading and dehumanising
    What's wrong with sexualisation, if done consentingly? People are allowed to take pride in their appearance, and sex as a whole shouldn't be some taboo subject
    • TiffyPuff

I agree :)

• TiffyPuff

@FroggyDoggy96
      Oh. Yeah, that's hypocritical πŸ˜‚

• ThisDudeHere
    It's now commonly known that feminists will just for whatever is most convenient at the moment, altering earlier agreed upon ideals, if not out right going against them. Rinse and repeat.
  • cinderelli
    I might be wrong but I think when she talked about Beyonce.. she was referring to her songs and lyrics..
    but still you cannot even see her bare boobies here.. and it has nothing to do with where she stands on feminism... feminism is about equality of rights for women and men.. and most western feminists or people in general have ruined the term by using it for stupid ideas and theirs own stupid propaganda
  • vishna
    That's hardly the most exposing thing I've ever seen, and I think the picture is quite tasteful. I don't see an issue. So, I don't see they hypocrisy. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen feminism defined as covering up/modesty, it's about owning who you are as a woman. I don't think the pictures are tacky. So, again, I don't see the issue.
  • slatyb
    This is just another slut-shaming argument -- she's not to be taken seriously because she dresses in an alluring way, arousing sexual feelings in me. If she were truly a feminist she would only appear in public in a burqa.

That's crap. You aren't arguing with her positions at all, you are just making an ad hominem attack based on something she wore once. Maybe you just aren't comfortable with the idea that she's smarter than you.
  • ambertaylor
    I don't think it was the smartest thing to do when she's trying to move society forward with consideration to feminism but it's hardly surprising, she has a film due to come out shortly, this was probably intentional to cause controversy and put her in the spot light. She's overrated in my opinion.
  • mistixs
    Different feminists have different ideas.

Just like how different socialists have different ideas. There are National Socialists (Nazis, most of whom oppose equal rights for minorities) and Democratic Socialists (most of whom adamantly support equal rights for minorities). National Socialists hate Jewish people, but Bernie Sanders, prominent Democratic Socialist, is himself Jewish.

Groups are allowed to have varying opinions within them.
    • and I have seen a lot of your posts as you are a radical feminist who thinks they are above others. after all, women are ''smarter'' than men, right? The difference is, that your type gets media coverage. Such a sad case.

• and cases like this or comments like yours shows the irony in a supposed movement that is for equality. feminism has changed from a genuine movement to a bunch of money hungry, male slandering, hate mongering hypocrites who think they are better than men and are always the victim.

• madhatters4
    feminism is about female empowerment. about feeling like they can do anything and not feel constrained by their gender. so feminism should support a woman wearing whatever they want. they can be critical of it but to try and limit a person's choice is to take power away from them.
  • shy_guy_93
    I believe deep in the motive of taking nude photos, in this way, is to have the person feel that they are apart of something bigger, like a movement. The movement has different meaning to some based on what they believe feminism to be. Ultimately, women taking pictures of their own body is their own business, plain and simple.
  • AleDeEurope
    But that's what feminists do, they're a bunch of hypocrites.
    They spend all day complaining about how women are objectified and sexualized, but then they proceed to sexualize themselves. They go around half naked. They call themselves sluts, whores, dirty... They talk about sex a lot and say how they can fuck whoever they want. They dress as vaginas. They pose in naked photoshoots... They're contradicting themselves. They don't want men and society to sexualize them, but they do it themselves...

What Emma Watson did doesn't surprise me at all, it's just typical feminist behavior, aka hypocrisy.
  • GeorgiaSakas
    Honestly, feminism scares me. Modern day feminism is much different then woman back in the day fighting for the right to vote. Feminism in modern day is hatred towards men and I don't like it..
  • Stone_Fizzlebeef
    Emma Watson drank the feminist kool-aid and became a puppet for the ideology. She failed big time and is now playing the only card she has left: sex sells. It's not going to work. She's becoming irrelevant very quickly. All this take is showing me is that even other feminists don't like her.
  • cth96190
    I lost interest in everything to do with Emma Watson when she became the face of the He For She (Feminist) bullshit.
    Since then, she is dead to me.
  • cipher42
    Anyone who thinks her actions are hypocritical clearly needs to learn a thing or two about feminism. Yes, feminists have an issue with sexualization in the media. But a good part of the feminist stance on that is that feminists believe the female body shouldn't be considered inherently sexual in the first place. In other words, women should be able to reveal their breasts without that being seen as sexual at all. So there's absolutely no contradiction between fighting sexualization in the media and posing for nude or revealing photos.
    • "So there's absolutely no contradiction between fighting sexualization in the media and posing for nude or revealing photos." So Kim Kardashian breaks the internet with her big behind=slut but prominent feminist whips her breasts out=hero.

• cipher42

No? Both cases should be perfectly acceptable. Like, erotic nude photos and non-sexual nude photos are both fine, as long as it's because the women themselves want to do them. What we have right now is a bunch of predominantly male producers and writers and such deciding they want a sexy lady for the sake of having a sexy lady, which is where the actual issue lies.

• Producers and writers know what sells. Why are so many women so fond of women like Emma Watson, Kerria Knightly and Beyonce because basically they want to be them or be like them so by putting them in a movie, or music video or in certain clothes or on the cover of a magazine is going to sell. Last time I checked guys don't read Vanity Fair so the sexualisation is directed at women not by a few guys but teams of market research people. Quite frankly if you want to sell something to a woman you advertise an attractive woman aged 18-30 that men desire and your guaranteed most women will buy your product and even pay double the price as anyone else. 70% of all advertising is directed at women and a lot of research goes in to the psychology of women and what they buy and why they buy it.

• pavlove
    This is why celebrities shouldn't be dominating the conversation on political movements.

She's a young woman who's life is mostly been about playing a character adapted from a children's book. She's a good face for feminism because she's unconventionally pretty (in terms of what's considered true hotness) She should be the face and not say what she really thinks lol because she's not really versed well enough in political movements to understand the nuances.
  • NickFox
    Funny, I find Emma Watson as almost intimidating to me, like out of my league, and I don't understand why many women see showing sexuality as a betrayal of women's equality. That type of power which I think women always have over men from the time we all enter puberty (girls first of course) is one of the most obvious powers women have over men, if they choose to wield it.
    • Exactly. I mean a lot feminism is to do with choice and some is to do with the 'free the nipple' movement, which is based on proving that women's breasts shouldn't be oversexualised and we should be allowed to walk around without bras if we CHOOSE to do so. We know that this is not merely a fantasy because it works in practice in a few African and Asian tribes and countries. Bras are also expensive and uncomfortable (like esp. at the start; the first time I had to keep one on for 6 hours I was in tears) and seeing a guy walking around topless in summer makes you want to cry. Feminism is to do with respect, but not just respect for women who fit into a specific box. If that was the case then feminism would oppress lots of women and that is unfair, because if showing some skin, esp. breasts makes you a slut or whatever, then is Barack Obama a slut for going swimming in the gulf without covering his upper body?

• I know it might sound completely crazy to a person who looks at women as these foreign species from Venus but most girls don't oversexualise their breasts and so it seems unfair that guys get away with walking around topless when they have breasts, which yes are smaller but still capable of lactation, and yet if we walk around without a bra and a shirt (so our nipples might be a little visible), it's a tragedy.

Finally, just to add, feminism is largely to do with tolerance and therefore any feminist who claims that a women should fall into this or that box to be considered proper is not a feminist at all. Yes you can still have preferences to how you should live your life but those preferences should not be used to oppress and abuse others
      .

• Turkish_Delight
    I think exposing her boobs has nothing to do with feminism lol.
    • The "objectification" of womens bodies?

• If she wants to show her body its her choice. If men don't want to show their bodies, its still their choice.

• what you dont get is, she made a speech about how wrong this is and how she was a feminist, then she did the same thing.

• SarahsSummer
    I'm so fed up with the these feminazi idealist basHing on their own gender. A woman is making a decision for herself to pose braless. Big fucking deal. MaLe actors are bulking up and posing shirtless everywhere we turn. Why? because it increases their celebrity and in turn can increase their pay check. If feminism is based on equality and the rights of women, why bash a woman for exhibiting her RIGHT to pose braless. There was a time when feminists rose up to defend against men oppressing women. Now feminism is about oppressing or shaming one their own. SMH.
    LIVE AND LET LIVE PEOPLE. LIVE. AND. LET. LIVE.
  • sjoes006
    She's free to do as she pleases. I don't like the word feminism it speaks of divide where there should be none.
  • samhradh_leannan
    So she has to be a prude about nudity in order to stand for equality? This shoot isn't sexual at all in my opinion so I don't see it as hypocritical.
    • she literally bashed beyonce for being topless.

• @applesandoranges22 I don't think that was right of her, but I think this shoot is demure enough that it's not necessarily hypocritical. That's just my opinion though.

• ok look at it like this. She bashes beyonce for showing boobies, then she shows boobies. Thats like someone saying hey! dont drink coffee! then they drink coffee. Hypocritical

• erandal
    Part of me screams out that I should care about this but I don't. The only things i thought were that the hairstyle doesn't suit her and i wish I had boobs that small.
  • Eugene
    Your question makes it sound like as if feminists aren't hypocrites by default.
  • Blitzkrieger
    Emma watson is a celeb thats struggling to stay relevant. She became a feminist as a way to remain relevant. she's like shia lebouff getting all political of lately.
  • Ramiro1992
    she is a hypocrite, of course. She is just a pathetic puppet from the feminist movement who is trying to fix the damage that feminism has done, they use her stupid "qualities" to speak to people and trying to convince us that feminism is all about equality, sorry Emma. we are not idiots, we haven't born yesterday, we know very well what your movement is doing to society.
  • cecilmarie02
    Anyone is entitled to do as they want, when they want. but there is something extrememy realistic in todays society, that is called ''DOUBLE MORAL' and lot's of people have it. thereby a lot of people are full of bullshit. Sorry to be so brutally honest but it's the sad truth.
  • ProjectBaby1K
    That's what feminists do. Welcome to 3rd wave feminism.

Plus, that ridiculous movement has overstayed it's welcome. It was never meant to be taken seriously, I feel sorry for those who honestly take it seriously.
  • AlwaysBelieving
    Is it me or does she look a little masculine from the neck up the way that Justin Bieber looks a little feminine?
  • 1truekhaleesi
    I'm failing to see the problem. Why is exposing your body bad?
  • Idonthaveausername
    I don't understand the outrage. Feminists have been burning their bras and trying to walk around nude for over 50 years. From what I've seen, she's acting like a feminist. Seriously, the mentality shouldn't change just because she's more attractive than the first ones who did it

I thought feminists were trying to desensitize men to boobs by posing topless and running around town topless. (Mind you every girl doing that would not desensitize or desexualize boobs for men, only make them more perverted.) Feminists need to figure out what they want, how they're going to get it, and be consistent in their actions rather than attack each other. (Or go ahead and attack each other because you deserve to have your organization fall apart if you're going to be that petty)

If Emma Watson wants to pose topless, she can go ahead and do that. She's an adult and is perfectly capable of making her own decisions
    • feminism needs to die as it is destroying places like the UK, sweeden etc. its NOT good for society and is making things worse with idiots like emma stone, or radicals that run sweden.

• @applesandoranges22
      I agree except it's Emma "Watson" we're talking about, not Emma "Stone." They're two different people. Feminists incite hatred between men and women. They're the ones responsible for the gender war

• emma stone, emma watson. all the same people my memory is not what it used to be