Guess Who Can Be a Boy Scout Now?

Guess Who Can Be a Boy Scout Now?

So guess who can be a boy scout if they want now? Girls! Hooray!

I know I should be like, go girls go, you can do anything...except there is already a parallel scouting program not surprisingly known as the Girl Scouts and after this historic announcement, the president of the GSA was not a happy camper.

Some girls and their families want to join Boy Scouts for a few reasons: one, parents like the option of dropping all the kids off to one activity. Two, many girls want to obtain Eagle scout status, the boy scouts highest achievement ( the Gold Award offered for Girl Scouts is their highest honor, but not as well known). Third, girls want to reap the benefits of a lot of the training not offered to the girl scouts, but that is offered to boy scouts.

Guess Who Can Be a Boy Scout Now?

From NBC News: "The Boy Scouts of America announced on Wednesday that girls will soon be allowed to become Cub Scouts and to earn the coveted rank of Eagle Scout, the organization’s highest honor. "We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children," said Michael Surbaugh, chief executive of the Boy Scouts.The scouting board of directors voted unanimously to make the historic change in an organization that has been primarily for boys since its founding more than 100 years ago."

Okay, so again, reading that, I should be like yea!, but this for me wasn't a case of, oh hey it's about time like schools having to both fund girls and boys sports programming. This was more like a meh (shrug). In case you're wondering if the girls and boys in the upcoming "scouts" will be interacting with one another...no, none of that. They still believe in segregation over there, and if girls want to join, it will need to be in an all girls den and the boys, in an all boys den--you know, because cubs live in dens.

Guess Who Can Be a Boy Scout Now?

The leader of the GSA is of the opinion that the Boy Scouts are essentially preying on their stock and trade. Girl Scouts of America has prided itself for decades on educating women in life skills, character building, and growing strong women in these modern times and feels the Boy Scouts should quite literally stay in their lane.

I guess with all said and done now, what will be will be, but this isn't a case of lack of fairness, or sexism, or poor funding of the GSA or anything of that nature. I honestly see this as more of a money grab from the Boy Scouts and an effort to pave over what has been a rocky road with it's dealings with gay scouts and gay scout leaders. On the opposite end, this puts a bit of a black eye on the face of the Girl Scouts because it makes them seem like they are incapable of offering programing that caters to the young girls and women of the 21st century who'd rather be cubs, stars, and eagles, than daisy's, brownies, and ambassadors.

Guess Who Can Be a Boy Scout Now?

I was a girl scout for most of my years in elementary school and learned a lot of skills that I still use to this day. I found the experience invaluable with the amount of travel, volunteering, camping, life, survival, and social skills I was able to learn. Do I think girls can get that in boy scouts, sure, but I'm not so sure this was a necessary move that needed to happen for the advancement of girls in this world.

636

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as girls will be allowed to fight on the front lines in combat, I'm OK with that. That's equality.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I have so many mixed views on this but I think they should just make a "scout club". I think combining the two would be very beneficial. I was in girl scouts and I hated it! We sat around painting, coloring, and selling cookies when that isn't what I wanted to do! I think they should allow girls to join because if I had a daughter, I'm sorry but I'd want her in boy scouts.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • But wouldn't it have made more sense for the Girl Scouts to offer more programming that you would have liked in the first place? I was in quite an outdoorsy troop that did more "boy scout" type activities and I loved it, but for either boy or girl scouts if you just have a crappy troop/leader who doesn't latch on to all of the opportunities available, yeah, it's going to be lame.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 35

• Great... a place for young men to get away from their nagging Mom's and Sisters, etc... gone. As a 15 year old boy, I'm sure I'd focus just as well on fingerprinting merit badges while little susie is being all sexy and stuff.

I was in the Boy Scouts. At first it was awesome. We went camping every weekend, would do rope climbing, hunting, building fires, learning how to properly sharpen our knives, and climbed mountains. Then one day it happend to my particular troop.

No it wasn't girls that came and changed everything that made my boyscouts experience utterly insufferable, but almost the same.

They merged us with the cub scouts. All of a sudden our all weekend long camping trips turned into "day camp" where we were used like babysitters to spoiled little brats children. I quit about 2 months into that... it simply became boring. Gee... I wonder how the camping trips will be affected... probably like recess in school... slowly dwindled away to better suit the girls and their abilities... then you'll wonder why boys are increasingly weak and... dare I say, more girl like. :-/

• Don't worry, with your attitude, you'll have the rest of your life to be away from women.

• petty*

• @alessandro_02 I made that petty mistake before. I pointed out my picture and asked if she still thinks I don't get pussy... she simply resorted to the claim that my pic isn't me and continued her name calling, so even when one can rightfully be that petty, it doesn't help. That gay/fag name calling stuff too, they use that a lot... a whole lot. It's taken some time, but I've learned it's best to not get emotionally involved, point out their use of ad hominem, and reaffirm my premises or conclusions have not even been challenged. They usually go silent or start raging... a few will concede here and there.

I think they're just adhering to their group identity without any thought... basically, "I'm one of those, they say I can and am, and I can remember to parrot this and that." They don't research it themselves and... Vola... another dumb dumb talking about a wage gap and a lack of rights they already have more of than men.

• I agree with you on the point about cub scout dens being segregated by gender. That defeats one of the main benefits I could have seen coming from this- a leadership-focused program like boy scouts that is co-ed. I was in a branch-off of boy scouts called venture scouts. This branch of the boy scouts left the decision to allow girls or not up to the local "crews". The crew I was in did allow girls. Our crew's elected leader was a girl for one of the 3 years I was in that crew. I think that provides a good opertunity for young people to interact in a setting like that with people of the opposite gender. It wasn't always smooth sailing, as some of the boys weren't previously used to answering to a girl, but damn if they weren't much less misogynistic by the end of it. Some of my best friends to this day are the boys and girls from that crew.

• I think that is a wonderful thing that happened for you, but I also think, at least in the US where gender specific schools are not the norm, students must interact together already. When I was in the GSA, I found it to be refreshing to be able to focus on just us and it felt like more of a safe space where you could let loose and 'be girls' as I'm sure many boy scouts feel the same way. But it just depends on the people involved. Clearly with the doors open, people can make their own choices what they want out of it.

• I highly doubt this has to do with them trying to barge in on "girl scout territory" and more about how feminist and feminist organizations (like NOW) pressuring them to allow girls in to the boy scouts because to not do so is "discriminatory". This is something that feminist groups have been pushing for for years. Again, I don't think it has to do with them trying to take girls into the boy scouts but rather caving into social pressures.

• What I want to know is why so many women want to be Eagle Scouts. I get that the rank only exists in the Boy Scout community, but it feels like a huge gender infiltration as the women are daring to enter an only guy community. I'm not too sure what too feel about this, especially since I was a former Boy Scout.

• And as a former girl scout myself, I feel the same way. Like I said, this is not an issue of discrimination, sexism, or unfairness or not having some equivalent for young girls, so I'm not sure why this needed to happen. I guess their one saving grace is that the girls must start their own boy scout troops and won't be mixing with the boy troops, because really, somethings are just made to be gender specific so that both sides can feel safe to shine, and do more gender specific activities without having to cater to the other. I have no problems with this 'because' there is already a girl scouts.

• More from Guys
    30

What Girls Said 5

• Why don't the GSA rip off the boy scout's program so the girls will have parallel programs? It seems like an oxymoron to have girls joining BOY scouts.

• Because it's not about "girls learning these skills", but about infiltrating and destroying male spheres. It's political ideology. And it is a vile and toxic one at that.

I remember when the argument about boyscouts not allowing girls into them came up 5-6 years ago. People were just downplaying it - like always - that it's "only" a few extremists. And here we are now.

• I don't understand why they just don't include the same activities for the girls scouts?

• Boy scouts are not allowed in some countries

• Don't think we have scouts in my country

• Then what about my girl scout cookies?