"A Storm of Epic Proportions" Hurricane Florence Hits The Carolinas: A Look at the Devastation and Destruction

If you have been near a tv or internet the last 72 hours, you have probably heard about Hurricane Florence.

The category 1 Hurricane hit the coast of North Carolina around 7 AM Eastern Time on Friday Morning. Immediately the storm impacted the NC Coast. The storm first hit in New Bern immediately causing flooding and damage from the storm surges. Later in the afternoon, the storm headed towards Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach. Later that night the storm headed south towards Myrtle Beach then went inland very slowly at 2 mph. As the storm moved slowly several of NC's main roads were cut off and cities were flooding. Later into the weekend, the storm was heading through The Carolinas heading towards the west to Charlotte. So far the death toll in The Carolinas is 23 people. Wilmington is completely cut off from the rest of the state as most of the major roads including Interstate 95 and Interstate 40 are flooded in areas. Military, civilian rescue groups and rescuers are still working to save trapped people and start recovery. People trying to reenter NC are being advised to detour around the state through Tennessee and Georgia as those are the

two border states that were not affected majorly by the storm.

This picture right here is one of the saddest. At this house, a tree fell killing a mother and baby and seriously injuring the father.

Sadly this is not all the destruction that has been done in The Carolinas. Most of the major rivers in NC have yet to crest. Most of those will crest on Tuesday. The threat is far from over. Even though the storm itself has weakened and moved north, the flooding in the rivers is still a threat. There are alligators, rodents, snakes, bacteria, and diseases in the floodwaters. Wilmington being cut off means it's harder to get supplies to people. Right now the NC government is trying to think of ways to deliver food and medicine to 60,000 people. This is truly a tragedy for North and South Carolina, but I know Things will eventually build back and get stronger.

#CarolinaStrong

#HurricaneFlorence

1221
smahala1991 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 12

• I feel awful for the victims of Hurricane Florence. However, I have to deal with the aftermath of Super Typhoon Mangkhut which just ripped through northern Philippines and killed hundreds of people. I signed up to be a part of the disaster relief efforts. I'm just waiting for my assignment.

• I'm saddened at the destruction and loss of lives but angry at the people who refused to heed the evacuation orders only to need rescuing after the fact. Putting more lives at risk to safe the ignorant ones.

• Great MyTake.
    Thank God, WE made it Through this Storm. xx

• *Very sad that 37 Died, Soooo Many lost their homes, and the damage will take many months to get back things back to normal again. xx

• Try to stay safe everyone! And help where you can. Our prayers are with you.

• Just awful😞. Thanks for mytake. Some native Citizens of north and south Carolina are here in GA. I hope no more people get hurt

• I hope people recover from it fast and for better. My heart goes out for them

• Stay safe everyone. It’s sad to see all the damage

• I hope everyone is ok there

• This is jawdropping. I pray for the people.

• That's so sad 😭

• Breaks my heart

• That's all sadly

What Guys Said 21

• My brother evacuated from Fayetteville because his wife is on renal dialysis three times per week and they were afraid that the dialysis services would not be available. He got out while the getting was good!

• What about all the nuclear powerplants we have in that area? We have dozens of nuclear plants in the direct path of the hurricane and not a single one of them has gone into meltdown.

Suck it, Japan!

• Like I said. I understand when people can't leave but seriously go. I'm tired of people saying, "oh Irma was a 4 and it wasn't bad so I'm not leaving" Or, "fake news because the hurricane didn't affect me". You cannot tell what a storm is gonna do and just because one wasn't bad or didn't hurt you it doesn't mean the next won't be bad or that it didn't hurt someone else.

• Exactly even people 200 miles inland were affected, got flooded, lost power, and 2 children who lived inland died from a falling tree and being swept away by flood waters. In fact the train derailment photo happened near Charlotte which is exactly 200 miles inland.

• Yeah these hurricanes that hit the coast and inland cause so much loss and damage. It’s like hurricane sandie 6 years ago that messed up where I live, they are still raising house’s here on south coast of Long Island for future storms like that again

• The Carolinas had a while to evacuate and luckily only a small percentage were killed by it, unlike New Orleans. Hopefully the people affected by the storm can get the help they need soon.

• Plus it also hit at a weaker strength. It was a cat 1 at landfall but the storm surges and slow speed of the storm is what made it so dangerous.

• storm surges are no joke, they do a lot of damage to structures.

• Apparently it didn't hit Charleston, even though we were mandatory evacuated.

Im driving back there now as I type this at 8:21pm.

• I can't help but feeling impressed and mesmerized by the power of destruction of a hurricane. Something that isn't long than a blink of a eye compared to earth's age, and still so devastating that the most advanced species on earth can't do anything but take the hit and try to recover.

• The poor people that do not have a home to go to... I remember a few years back, we had over 200 mm or rain, and it was devastating to us. We ended loosing a neighbourhood as well.

I can't imagine the amount of sheer destruation these people had to endure... I can guarantee that a lot of them do not have a home to go to!

• Awful. We're fortunate enough not to get much extreme weather at all, here, and it's often hard to comprehend unless you see it first hand. Thoughts are with the people affected.

• i will never understand why people dont evacuate when they are told to evacuate

• I dont understand why they can't arrest people for not following orders

• Because of looters. There's a certain group of people who go out during these storms and steal everything, and when you know there's people like this right in your own neighborhood, it makes you want to stay home so you can guard your stuff when the looters come.

I'm talking about a certain specific type of people, and you can look up how they use twitter to communicate and form hunting parties. They team up in packs of 50-100 people and all just walk down the street and they strip a whole neighborhood of it's goods and valuables like an ant colony. They go into businesses, private residences, anywhere.

It's horrible to live next to people like this. They're only a very small percentage of the population but yet they commit over 50% of violent crime. But nobody is allowed to talk about it.

• @Bananaman177 why don't you go fuck yourself you stupid racist cunt

• Sort of reminds me of Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Hope everything gets back to normal soon.

• Sad and sobering. I pray for everyone's safety and strength...

• My thoughts and prayers to those affected by Hurricane Florance

• yeah everyone on the coast line is having a bad day

people in the cities are fine
    feels good :)

• And still Americans continue to build houses out of 2x4 and quarter inch plywood...

• Our prayers go out to those in the area.

• That’s terrible...

• Damn. It reminds me of Katrina.

• Great myTake

• sad..

• More from Guys
    1