Cincinnati Reds Broadcaster Thom Brennaman Suspended After On-Air Homophobic Slur

Anonymous

In the latest mea culpa, on Wednesday, very well known Cincinnati Reds broadcaster Thom Brennaman was suspended indefinitely after he made an on-air homophobic slur right after he was caught unawares on mic after the Fox Sports Ohio feed returned from a commercial break before the top of the seventh inning in the first game of a doubleheader at Kansas City. He said that some city was “one of the f-g capitals of the world” during the Reds broadcast.

Not realizing this had been caught on air, he went on to call the game as usual while social media was blowing up in response to the slur. When he was presumably alerted to this in his headset, in the middle of his broadcast, he said, "I made a comment earlier tonight that I guess went out over the air that I am deeply ashamed of," he said. "If I have hurt anyone out there, I can't tell you how much I say from the bottom of my heart, I am very, very sorry."

After pausing to announce a home run by Cincinnati's Nick Castellanos, Brennaman added: "I don't know if I'm going to be putting on this headset again" and apologized to the Reds, Fox Sports and his coworkers. "I can't begin to tell you how deeply sorry I am," Brennaman said. "That is not who I am and never has been. I like to think maybe I could have some people who can back that up. I am very, very sorry and I beg for your forgiveness."

Sigh...

Do I believe people can change? Sure, absolutely...people can change OVER TIME, but that doesn't happen within two hours of you dropping an on air homophobic slur. Is he trying to convince the world that suddenly he is some totally upstanding guy who would NEVER say something like....what he literally just did? Keep in mind, whether he knew it or not, this guy was mic'd up. Anyone who has been in the business as long as he has, knows that someone could flip that on air switch at any time, so probably not the best place for one to just freely show their true colors. What's even worse, is he went on in his apology to say he is a man of faith as if that somehow should just clear things right on up and make it right with the world.

No one just says something like that randomly. Racism, sexism, homophobia, all of that isn't just sitting there at the ready from good upstanding people who never would do anything to hurt or marginalize another group. These are things people like him say all the time, and unfortunately they are never called on it because either they hang out with like minded people or they are just never caught in a public way....until now.

Well, the string of apologies have been piling up from players, from his own family, from Fox, from lawyers, and everyone else in between about how this guy does not represent them or how they feel about the LGBTQI+ community. Social media has of course, already done away with him, and only time will tell if he will be able to work again, given zero tolerance policies for such things in contracts and all. He said it himself, he doesn't now if he will ever be able to put on the headphones again. That.

53
20
20Girl Opinion
53Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girls

• Anonymous
    First, I hate the concept of "homophobia." Just because someone disagrees with something doesn't mean they're scared if it. I wish this term would fucking die a violent death.

Second, he shouldn't have said what he said. It is wrong to be disrespectful or hateful toward anyone regardless how much you disagree with them.

Third, I don't think he should be fired. He apologized, and should be given time to "bear fruits worthy of repentance"
    Like 6 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • 8lutty

i think as long as he doesn't directly affect those he hate (like cause them fired, or thing like that), he should have the right to said he hate them, esp he doesn't mean to broadcast it, if he have to sry, he should only be sorry for doesn't turn off the mics

• supercutebutt
    If this guy was in high school, we could cut him sum slack for being young and dumb. But this dude is old and living in 2020. He should know better. Maybe let him keep his job but make him broadcast all of this season and next while wearing leather chaps and/or one of those tail buttpugs that are gaining in popularity.
    I am sorry
    I am sorry
    Disagree 5 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • lol such intolerance, and a current year fallacy to boot

• @007kingifrit We aren't living in 2020?

• it is a current year fallacy to suggest that there is significance in the year. as if somehow we are progressing towards something. we aren't.

do you really think that when climate change hits and the quality of life drops your peaceful tolerant ways will survive? of course not. your values and inclusivity can only exist in times of extreme luxury. that coach's ideas are more durable than yours

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1853
  • cth96190
    What creates actual hate in the minds of people who did not care yesterday, is when the Marxist/homosexual outrage mob descends upon anyone who expresses a view that is not aligned with the mob’s dogma of the day.
    Keep on going gay boys. You digging your own grave.
    LikeDisagree 11 People
    • DaMack999

Exactly just cause someone has different view from you shouldn't be crucified.

• @DaMack999 ... Um. He wasn't crucified-- he lost his job. He speaks to the public about a sports team, and he offended a large swath of that public. He's not dead. Hopefully he learns from the experience and comes out a better person.

• Guanfei

You're right, he's not dead. No one is. All is there are people crying about a word.

• DaMack999
    Dude didn't deserve that he even apologize on mid air while his still doing his job and announcing the plays. AM GETTING TIRED OF THESE OVERLY SENSRITIVE PEOPLE SERIOUSLY. GUY GOT HOME, FAMILY, AND BILLS TO PAY FOR. IN COVOID 19 AND FIRED. THAT'S HEARTLESS. AT LEAST TEACH DUDE A LESSON AND GIVE HIM FEW WEEKS SUSPENDSION. THIS TELLS ME RADIO BROADCASTERS NEED TO UNIONIZE. FOR REAL NO RESPECT FOR HUMAN ERROR.
    Like 7 People
  • coachTanthony
    If everyone had a hot mic in their homes we would all be asking for forgiveness! Everyone has said something they regret! I know the man and his father personally and have never heard him use this language in my prescience! He should apologize and reap the consequences. In the end he and everyone should be given another chance especially when we have all said something we aren’t proud of... we just never got caught either... so does that make us any better?
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    • he shouldn't even regret it, he did nothing wrong

• Walrus_au
    He's free to say it. and the sport is free to say they don't want to tollerate or put up with that kind of behaviour. Good for the broadcasting company.

Don't want to be fired for being a homophobic or hateful jerk, don't be a homophobic or hateful jerk.
    Astonishingly simple really.
    LikeDisagree 6 People
  • ObscuredBeyond
    But was he right about that particular city? And if sticking the tool of life in the hole of death is something to be proud of, then why the aggravation about him associating a city with it?

"Gay" "pride" makes no sense at all. Neither does this totalitarian thought control insanity.

The fake apology was dumb though. He should know by now the mobs are never appeased, until blood is spilled. He should've instead hunkered down, tripled down, and stocked up on incendiary ammo!

Answer the mob in the only language it understands: ultraviolence!

To call someone a "phobe," and then immediately give them a legitimate reason to fear you, is patent absurdity and hypocrisy. Lefttardation, and separation from God, causes both gay activists and Islamic ones to be equally guilty of this absurdity. With equally destructive results.
    LikeDisagree 10 People
    • 8lutty

his sorry is the dumpest thing he does, should have said it is a joke or sthing

• Akachan
    Don't say words that don't belong to you. He should've said "gayest capital" not fag, fag is a slur. I mean you wouldn't call a city with a majority of black people the niggerest city.
    Also no one outside of the community can accept his apology it's not your apology to accept.
    I'm black and gay✨try me✨
    Disagree 1 Person
  • Dansnlawlipop
    This is my thing:
    You know what the word means. You know what it is used to convey. You know who the target is.
    Why not call them something else that actually conveys the way you feel about them (performance, etc)? Unless you were trying to insult their sexual orientation (for some reason).

The apology-after-I'm-caught means nothing to me other than showing that you like to save face but are truly an ass in private.
  • Darcia
    He apologized, as society we should accept his apology. Everyone makes mistakes this is very common. Should he be fired? No, but should he get less airtime, yes. Brian Williams was fired for misspeaking. We hear lots and lots of news anchors being fired, why not this guy? In this time and age he should’ve known that speaking inappropriately especially with a job such as his his punishment will not be taken lightly.
    • brian williams was not fired , he was promoted to MSNBC

• di6n9
    Definitely feel bad for him. The guys' comments already said it all. Oversensitive people are now firing every possible person out there.
    Like 5 People
  • raven6933
    Saying"I am sorry" is not an apology, but a presence of being and that he definitely is sorry. Just another trying to hold his position, I guess he figures if one can do why not him. Just wondering if they will do like the media that carried dog the bounty hunter did. Wait till it blows over then allow to return?
    Disagree 2 People
  • ThisDudeHere
    Zero terance is one of the most evil concepts ever. It goes against human nature in regards to change and forgivness.
    Like 4 People
  • madgoat
    For a number of reasons, and based on what you're telling us, I'd be inclined to cut him a break if this is a first offence. I'm not in favour of destroying someone's career because of one off the cuff comment.
    Like 2 People
  • Thatsamazing
    Yeah it was bizarre and uncalled for. And his apology was only half of what it should have been. I never liked him as a broadcaster anyway.
    LikeDisagree 8 People
  • Bowdabra
    I mean this might hurt peoples felling and stuff but I could care less about what he said and who he said it too. There is way too much important stuff going on in the world to worry about a homophobic slur. Now i am excuseing what he said or did he would not have said it but he did.
  • Tamera952
    What a dumb-motherfucker. He deserves to be fired. If your job is to broadcast on the air, you should never let your guard down, and ASSUME you're on the air and that the mic is LIVE, the entire time you're working, just in case.
  • worldscolide
    LOL cancel culture at its finest.. Destroy as man's life over something he said.. This is exactly why i have ZERO respect for any of the "Special" Communities including the alphabet people. you and your kind make me sick..
    LikeDisagree 4 People
    • Oram52

Not cancel culture, he said something offensive and being held accountable for that. He's not being cancelled for disagreeing with his views. Replace homophobic slur with N word.

• @Oram52 no matter what his words are... Its cancel culture.. End of story end of discussion Now screw off leftist.

• Oram52

I'm a Libertarian, the fact you had to resort to insults instead of providing alternative view point says it all. So if someone uses N word and faces the consequences for racism he should face no consequences? In Trump era it may feel like such language can be tolerated but you'd be wrong!

• Likes2drive
    Yeah next time he needs to put his hand over the mic when venting, people are so sensitive these days, I guess free speech is out the window on this one if you do it during work. Obviously his opinion wasn’t changing in 2 hours, he was just sorry they heard his opinion on air
    Like 1 Person
  • Apple1996
    So he said fag? Like I dont get why it's such a big deal. If he wants to call gay people fags then he is allowed to. I dont think he should lose his job over using a inappropriate word
    Like 1 Person
  • _SOARER
    Biggest mistake people make it apologizing 😂
    I would double down! Like yeah those fags are gross! I call it like I see it! And I am expert at that!
    Never apologize!
    LikeDisagree 7 People
    • Oram52

Your ass will be fired!!

• _SOARER

@Oram52 most of these people get fired anyways 😂
      I would just find another job

• Change your profile now. You dont love everyone, you dont think everyone deserves dignity and respect, so change your goddamn profile right now!😠

• StephenCF
    If former soccer player, Jamie Carragher, can keep his punditry job after spitting at a family’s car on camera, then I disagree that this commentator should be fired for using this word once
    Like 3 People
  • Show More (51)