How to tell someone you don't feel the same way about them?

I go to the same college as this guy and he likes me but I don't feel the same way he makes conversations with me and hugs me when I'm about to go or he's about to go. I'm a nice person but I don't want to sound mean or anything I've tried avoiding him but he sees me and even if I'm ignoring him he will still go up to me and talk to me but I talk to him because I feel bad. I just want to reject him basically but what's the nicest way.

113

Most Helpful Guy

• Here is what you need to remember. There are billions of girls just like you and hundreds more where he goes to study. In other words, reject him and he will get over it. He will most likely forget all about you in a few days. So don't worry, just say ''I notice that you always make an extra effort with me but I'm not interested in being a friend, or being more''.

Most Helpful Girl

• There is no easier way to reject someone. It will hurt him, no matter what you say. Just tell him that you don't look at him the same way.

• ^This is the basic truth. You are under no obligation to soften the blow. That's not to say that you should be mean but you should be direct and honest. There is often no way to reject someone without hurting them, but you are doing what's best for them. They need to know so that they can redirect their efforts elsewhere.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 12

• So I'm guessing you don't like being his friend? Because what you've described are friendly gestures only.

If you dont want to be friendly with him, tell him to fuck off and stop touching you.

• I barely even know him that's what makes it worse and I don't consider him as a friend and he's a bit too friendly..

• As directly as possible, but privately if possible. Tell him that he is to forward with you and that he needs to respect your boundaries.

• Well, you say you are a nice person but ignoring and not being honest is not really nice. You are avoiding to tell him because you wanna protect yourself from that situation. It will make you feel bad to disappoint him and you wanna avoid that feeling. So if you really want to be a nice person, you should tell him honestly and politely.

• Just have to tell him you are not interested. Dont soften the blow and lie thats never good. Just be straightforward.

• I think that the nicest way for a guy to be rejected (coming from a guy who's been there before) is when you're very polite and comfortable in your answer. No matter what the answer is, try to go at it with positivity: you might tell him that he's smart and funny and you don't see him as more than that, a smart/funny classmate; you might tell him that you value his opinions and want him around as a friend, but that you don't care for romance with him; you might say that there's nothing about him that you like, but that he seems like a good guy and should go after other people that are willing to form friendships and relationships, but you just aren't one of those people.

• Just like that - "I don't feel the same way about you. I'm just not interested."

• Just have to sit down with him and say u like if as a friend but don't really see him as more or not ready for relationship. Yet and even tho might be hard to break someone dream sometimes better than to make either sex have hopes for while and crush him when u do find someone and they kinda see it as they wasent good enough lol hope helps ;)

• Tell him you have a boyfriend. Works wonders apparantly. Lmao

• Be simple with your words. Don't comfort him with a lie. Go to him, tell him you want to talk about something and explain.

• Just tell him everything calmly and try to handle the situation as calmly as possible.
    You'll have to be direct, because you said you barely know him.

• tell him you would like to remain friends and nothing more

• the fuck? just be real, and straight up. he might feel hurt shortly, but guys hate being played, and he'll forever remember you for leading him on. stop being a punk and tell him, you don't find him attractive. sorry but not sorry. don't be such a brat.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!