My girlfriend slapped me, should I break up with her?

My girlfriend got really mad at me for texting my ex. My ex texted me just checking in. (we haven't talked for like 3 months and I broke with her) She asked how I was and I said I was good and didn't ask anything else. Basically that was the whole conversation. Well, when my current girlfriend found out about the texts she started saying how our relationship wasn't important enough to me, and how maybe I should just be with my ex since I only care about her. She was making such a big deal about it, that I just said " Casey, why are you so fricken insecure?"and she slapped me and yelled "I am not insecure!" and then grabbed her jacket and left.

I'm so mad and confused. Should I break up with her for slapping me?

Most Helpful Girl

• Mkay first of all she overreacted!!! second of all, she is the one that is insecure and third of all, she should be respecting you by not laying a hand on you! Have a good talk with her about respect and that you didn't appreciate her slapping you. If she doesn't like it, then you know what to do next! Good luck!

What Girls Said 17

• Break up with her for her insecurities. If she is going to get that upset about a couple of texts then she needs to work out her problems before getting into a relationship.

• she must be really insecure to jump to conclusions like that. If she's had a relationship with someone prior to you than things may have happened to make her this way. Try sitting down with her and explaining that breakups (if she hasn't been in a relationship before you) can have long lasting effects on people and your ex just wanted to make sure that you were okay and not bearing grudges or mulling in depression. I'm friends with three exes and my bf just gets tense, he doesn't say anything though (they dumped me because I was better at video games than they were, stupid reason eh?). Don't force the issue, that will make it worse. Try asking how she felt when she saw the text and why she felt that way. Talking it out, crying it out, etc sometimes that will make her feel better. If you ex is with someone else, tell her this, it shows that she (the ex) no longer is interested in being with you. one of the reasons relationships don't work out is because of the lack of communication. Automatically breaking up with her will make her believe the assumption she had made about your ex. Just... don't make any irrational decisions. I hope this helps...

• wow... she actually does sound really insecure. she needs to learn how to control her temper as well, getting physical is not ok, especially your boyfriend!

it works both ways - if a guy hit a girl, i would tell the girl to leave. and if the girl hits the guy.. well, its the same situation.

• She might be mad because she found out and you didn't tell her. By you not saying anything it might seem like you are trying to hide the fact that your ex wrote you. Which in turn caused her to become insecure about your relationship.

• No, don't break up with her just cause she slapped you. I have hit a guy when we were in an argument before and he didn't get really mad at me for it. He ended up apologizing first at the end of the argument. I guess it depends where you're from cause where I'm from girls hitting guys is kind of normal...

• Your explanation is appalling. just because something happens a lot doesn't make it okay you dumbass. What if he smacked would u say the say same?

• Well, for starters she's obviously insecure and maybe got offended that you "found it out" and didn't know how to react. Maybe you could try to clear things up but only break up with her if you don't want her to be with you anymore. Otherwise, it would be a huge mistake.

• i wonder really wonder whats wrong with some girls these days, they love to resort to violence.
    u have to ask yourself whether she is worth for u to stay on in a relationship. personally, i wouldn't like it when someone behave in that manner and i would reconsider the relationship.

• I would take a pass she should NEVER have hit u - if that happened ONCE may be an abusive female - i would stay away... MOVE ON to non physical girls!!! NEVER put your hands on your mate in anger EVER!!! that is OUT OF CONTROL!!!

• I would NEVER hit my man. It doesn't solve anything. Anyways if this was out of character, don't break up with her just yet, but be cautious, talk to her and see why she did that. If she's just like that run dude.

• Don't let it depend only on this. If she does things like this constantly, dump her.

• One piece of advice I have to give is to not make decisions when angry or frustrated. Maybe it'd be best to talk to her first about her reaction before you break up with her. My thinking is that you two had a loss of communication. And I do not think it was right for her to be physical and hit you. She seems that she may be the jealous type. Talk about the situation with her first, and if she doesn't want to fix it or hear you out, I would consider a split. This all my opinion though. Do what you feel is right.

• I'm pretty sure you should break up with her.
    She's seems a little crazy.

You're ex texted YOU, not the other way around. And it was innocent and short.
    Also, physical violence is never a good sign. Some things are excusable, like I'd forgive a guy for shoving me/knocking me down if he apologized and it was like once, in a really long time period, but not for like, punching me. I thing slapping is forgivable with an apology and it being very very VERY infrequent. But still, not a good sign.

• You should dump her. If she is not mature enough to communicate effectively she is not mature enough to be in a relationship

• Don't break up just cause she slapped you. That's something really small to break up over. She did overreact a little but texting an ex could make any girl pretty upset. She probably didn't even think about slapping you to be honest. I have slapped a guy before and he didn't even say a word about it, probably cause he knew he deserved it.

• If a man slapped me, for any reason, I'd break up with him on the spot. It also just shows you the way she handles a problem/conflict, and it's not looking good. So if you break up with her, I think that's totally justified.

• you shouldn't break up with her yet, talk to her about it and say that she texted you first and it isn't your fault. Also, you shouldn't call a girl insecure or ask why she is, apologize for that and she will end up apologizing too.

• nah break up with her for leaving before you could slap her back

• I would never slap her back.

• im just kidding :) i dont support abuse.

What Guys Said 14

• I have no tolerance for being slapped by a girl, and I don't care what the reason was. Striking another person does not belong in a relationship. What if you slapped her? You'd probably be thrown in jail. I've never hit a girl and probably never will. Something my parents taught me to never do. I expect the same respect from a girl. Sure, I could take getting slapped, but it's the principle that matters. Now if your friend is angry about you texting your ex, she has every right to be angry. But lashing out physically and striking you is crossing the line.

Cut ties with the ex completely if you want to have Casey as your girlfriend. Your ex should be in the past. Leave her in your past. Your attention should be on Casey. If you try to keep connected to your ex, you're just going to have an angry girlfriend who won't be able to trust you. She will think you're having a fling with your ex behind her back. Is your Casey insecure? Yes. But that's normal in her position in light of the situation. Don't add fuel to her insecurities.

If I were you, I would have a discussion with her. If you want your relationship to continue, she will want a commitment from you to not have relationships with exes. You will want a commitment from her that she'll never strike you again. If you can reach a deal, I'd give her another chance. But if there's a next time she slaps you, I would leave her for good.

Good luck.

• Not saying her slapping you is the right thing to do... but if you're gonna break up with her because of a little slap... I blame the new liberal parenting no corporal punishment method.

Dude... why are you even texting your ex?
    It's suppose to be OVER OVER , cut all ties man , you don't want it to haunt you again years from now.

Call me a white knight but I think she's right , she's not being insecure she's expecting you to put the current relationship first and not have some... secret backup plan by being "friends" with someone you broke up with.

• What happened to the good old days of.

1st verbal explanation and incentives.
      2nd privilege deprivation.
      3rd reasonable corporal punishment

Slapped once and suddenly throwing a fit over a little slap.

• Honestly bro, 9/10 times a girlfriend that cares about you is going to hit you in situations like this. She felt that you still had feelings for your ex and she is really insecure about it. Instead, you should go up to her, give her your phone, and have her delete your ex's number. That way you can get her trust back and she will start to like you better than right now.

• Yes you should. If she slapped you over something that small, it only gets worse down the road. It sounds bad, but you should be thankful this happened because you found out how unstable she is/can be early on. You can dump her, wipe your hands and be done with her without too much mess

• Role reversal. You're a girl and he slaps you. Everyone would be like break up with him without question! At any rate I would have a nice long chat with her before I came to a decision. She can't tell you who you can and can't talk to.

• Actually I'm surprised she didn't break up with you. Rule #1: Never deal with ex's. Now you see why.

• I would definitely break up with her. I do not tolerate physical violence. And I do not trust anyone who resorts to physical violence.

• Breaking up with a girl because she slapped you is a bit of an overraction, don't you think?

• Before you dump her, I suggest you set some time aside to see if she apologizes to you within a reasonable amount of time. People do crazy impulsive things they inevitably regret later when they're furious. If she's a decent human being who cares about you, she would apologize. Give her a chance to explain herself. If she's obstinate about it all, then it would be reasonable to break-up.

• I can see where she's coming from but she shouldn't have slapped you. Let her cool down then talk to her about it before considering breaking up.

• No, I've never broken up with a girl cause she hit me. My girlfriend I have right now has hit me before when we were in a fight. I didn't go and cry about it. Honestly, at the time I didn't even raise an eyebrow. You need to get over it cause it wasn't a big deal at all, instead just apologize and move on.

• Apologizing for her slapping him... if that's not Stockholm Syndrome I don't know what is

• I didn't apologize for her slapping me. I apologized for what I did that caused the fight. I did something that was really wrong to her, that's why we had the fight and why she slapped me. @rjroy3

• You should rephrase and say you did something to her and she slapped you because of it. Because your original post just said, you two were fighting and she slapped you.

• It's funny how most of them say don't break up with her while all of them would break up with their boyfriend if he slapped her. All the women are doing is promoting female violence

• And I suppose like half of the guys are justifying female violence too. What a shame

• Wow. Dump her. Your're seriously going to tolerate her abusing you?

• I would dump her. I am not putting up with that from any woman. I have no respect for anyone that would strike their partner like that.