I'm 22 and can't drive?

I started lessons at 21 and had a few like 6/7 but i stopped because of money. I feel ashamed that i can't drive and really behind. I have to move out first because i can't live at home anymore , i go to school and have a tough job at a restaurant. Should i be ashamed?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm 36 and can't drive, never want to either. Might be good to have a licence for emergencies but if I ever find myself sat behind the wheel of a car every day I screwed up somewhere.

Never caused me any problems, never held back my career in any way. So many people claim they NEED their car but I think its bs in most cases, it makes life more convenient for them sure, but they don't need it.

If being able to drive is useful to you, go ahead and learn, but if you don't want to, don't bother, it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Hell, most cars will know how to drive themselves soon enough anyway.

• For the most part knowing how to drive is helpful for example going to the doctors, dentist, grocery store, visiting friends and family etc.

• I have no problems getting any of those things done without a car or driving.

People who've had access to a car for a long time seem to lose the ability to get things done without one. Has the strange effect of making you less independent nit more in that way.

What Guys Said 24

• I am in the same boat. I never felt ready to want to have it. Don't be ashamed that you dont have it. I recently started to get it going and Im still not 100% ready. But you should get it done even if you aren't ready to drive. A lot of freedom and most careers require you to have one.

• Tons of people don't drink. It's totally not a big deal.

When you're able, wanting, and ready, you'll do it. Besides, doing great things that are far more important than worrying about your driver's license. No worries.

• You shouldn't feel ashamed. Obviously you recognize that driving is a skill you want and need to learn. So try to come up with a strategy to make that happen. Whether it's saving up to pay for the lessons (I know that will be hard to do), or getting a trusted person who is an experienced driver to help you learn. Big parking lots are good places to practice driving skills when they are mostly empty (like at night). Don't give up.

• I didn't get my license until I was 24.

My family was going through rough times when i was in high school so we didn't have a car. At my uni it was inconvenient to have a car so I never got one.

A year and a half after I get my Bachelor's, THEN I got my driver's license. Lol

• I don't know how to drive either, and I think that I'm until your age more or less, I wouldn't try to get my license.
    I'm not ashamed because I know my life hasn't allowed me to get it yet.

• No. I'm 20 and I can't even ride bicycle but I'm still proud. No big deal, stay happy ^_^

• Im a 24 almost 25 year old man and have no idea about cars and driving. How you like that? How many chances do I have for a relationship? The moment the girl finds out that Im without a car and can't even drive, thats it.
    And yes its true, female down voters. Don't bullshit me with ''His personality is that matters.''

• No reason to ashamed. My mom didn't get her drivers license until she was pregnant with my brother at age 30

• Me neither! I use public transport.

• not at all, dont be ashamed of something so silly like that
    It is useful to have though, when you are ready take the test =)
    you will do fine =)

• I know a guy who is 22 and can't drive either he still doesn't have his license you just have to practice and break your fear.

• Um... well, it depends on why you would be ashamed. Usually people get their licenses at the age of 16, 17, or 18. 21 is a bit out of range.

• If I were you I wouldn't be ashamed, I would be proud. It's all about prioritizing. You can learn to drive later when you get more time. That's not an issue.

• Seriously 😱😱

Shit i could drive a car and ride a bike when i was 18... now i am thinking of taking flying lessons literally...😂

And no you should not be ashamed cause not everyone is smarter and faster like me 😈😜

• You shouldn't be ashamed. It's just a skill you don't yet have. I mean, sure, if you rely heavily on others to drive you, then it might be an idea to take lessons again when you find space in your budget, out of courtesy to them.

• You don't need to spend money on driving lessons your better off learning to drive with a friend who has a car with an automatic, find someplace quiet to practice, eventually you'll be confident enough to pass your test.

• I'm 23 and can't drive, but my reason is because of a med condition that's holding me back so don't feel bad

• No disrespect, but what kind of parents did you have. Teaching your child to drive is one of the most basic responsibility's of a parent. They should be the ones feeling ashamed, not you. Maybe a friend could help you to learn.

• Driving is not a necessary skill for survival you know.

• My parents never taught me because I kept telling them I'm not ready. They didn't want to force the subject so they let me decide when I'm most comfortable and ready.

• Sounds like it's a necessary skill to her or she wouldn't be worried about it.

• Why do you need to drive? Im 27 and dont drive

• most places in the US dont have very efficient public transportation. Usually only major cities. Just depends though.

• @Dansexuall Are you saying that every city and village in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland has either a train station or bus station?

• Yes sir, iv never seen any area even very remote places that dont have some form of public transport. my district is made up of about 5 towns and a few little villages, there is a bus service thats every 7 minutes that loops through all the towns which runs about 20 hours a day, then to the villages its about every hour linking them to the bigger towns, every town and most of the villiages are on the rail line which goes to london and then links to everyother city. The trains here are aboit every 30 minutes. And then there are all the taxi companies which will pick you up and take you from town to town for about £5 ($8)

• you'd be surprised.

• I'm 21.83 and I can't drive. Even never sat on driver's seat, at least you started lessons ^^

• didn't get my license until like 24 or some sht

• I was terrified of it, then I eventually even got a job, doing it. I didn't get my real license until I was 18, and you can get it at 16 here in the States. I was even going to wait longer but my parents just found a way to get me some confidence, so I could just go and do it. You just need a way to find some confidence, however that may be

• 24. and im a man. butdont take me as an example im the most gradioso loser in this universe and the next...

What Girls Said 17

• No need to be ashamed. I know a few people who can't drive at all. I live in a city so it's easier to do away with a car and not drive at all. I have a car and I drive though.

But it's not too late to learn driving. I remember when I was in driving school, there was a guy in his late 30's there as well.

• Why should you be ashamed? Some people don't drive bc of various reasons like some states/cities are expensive to learn to drive and it's even more costly for licenses and insurance. Two of my friends don't drive bc they know they get sleepy behind the wheel. Then there's people in large metropolitan areas that driving is just rendered obselete for the most part. I got my license bc I enjoy traveling and driving myself a lot to places. However if I moved back to New York I wouldn't really drive unless I wanted to go out of town. So don't feel ashamed. But when you get your license don't be one of those douche drivers that never uses a signal always cutting people off, causing near accidents and not keeping a reasonable flow with traffic that's when you oughta be ashamed.

• I don't think you should be ashamed about it. I come from the country side so we all got our licence at 18 but when I went to college, a lot of people didn't have their licence and I still know a lot of them who still can't drive or are currently learning. There is nothing to be ashamed about.
    Also, a lot of us were lucky enough that our parents paid for it where I life it between 1500 and 2000 euros to get a licence, so it's even more understandable when you have to pay it yourself

• That is very expensive. When I took driv ki no lessons it was cheaper than than $1600.

• Welcome to France, we all learn to drive sticks but I've always though this price was ridiculously high

• My brother is the same age as you and doesn't drive yet but that is because he is a total procrastinator and I think he might even be scared to.

• I'm almost 20 and I don't have a license. I can drive and handle the car but I don't have the interest in it. No matter what I do I just can't get interested in wanting to learn how to drive. My younger sister can't wait until she gets her provisional license so she can begin the driving lessons. People have different interests and priorities. So don't worry :) You're not alone in this.

• I'm 27 and I can't drive. And I don't feel ashamed. There are people older than me (my mom) that don't drive. Nothing to be ashamed of.

• No, it's quite common for people your age to not have a driver's license and your reasoning for it is perfectly understandable.

• Nooo not at all... I took my license at 23 ... nothing to be ashamed of. .. and I am not so good in driving yet... lol

• You should not be ashamed. This is life. Sometimes it takes time to do what we want.
    You will drive again soon. No worries. Just focus on what you have to do first right now. Like school, and finance.

• Just like me and I'm not ashamed.

• No worries, my friend is 23 and doesn't have her license. It doesn't seem like she's in a rush to get it. I don't know if she ever will. So don't feel ashamed.

• I'm 24 and I don't drive a car and I can't drive because of being specilneeds and also because I used to have seizures as a baby so that's why I wouldn't be able to drive and if I did drive I'm afraid I would get in a car accident

• No but get your license for emrrgencies or for ID

• I can't drive either.. Its not a problem for me cuz it's easy to keep a driver here

• Me too I don't drive, so don't be ashamed because you're not alone.

• I'm 14 and I started driving.

• Don't feel ashamed a guy coworker of mine is 24 and he still can't drive. Neither can I and I'm 20.