My girlfriend slapped me should I break up with her?

Yesterday, me and my girlfriend were having a causal conversation about her friend, Adalyn. Adalyn is in my girlfriend's sorority and has recently been sort of a bitch to her even though they're friends. Now, my freshman year of college Adalyn was the first new friend I had, and convinced me to rush for a fraterinity. She basically is the person I have to thank for all the friends I have now. So we were talking about Adalyn and Taylor, my girlfriend, started saying some really bad shit about her. I felt like I had to at least defend Adalyn a little since were still friends and we've been friends since we were frosh. So I told Taylor that she was overeacting and Taylor started bringing up all the times I had overeacted in the span we had been dating. I said oh really and started bringing up all the times she had overeacted and we both, for some reason, were yelling over eachother. We were dumping all the shit we had on eachother, eventully forgetting what we were orginally fighting over. We were just trying to prove eachother wrong for no reason. Finally she yelled something that really ticked me off about my ex. So I yelled over her "Taylor shut the fuck up for once." and all at once she gave me the worst look and she just slapped me really hard. I'm pretty sure I just stood there staring her down, not saying a word for about a minute before she said sorry really quickly under her breath. I just said "Alright Taylor." And grabbed my jacket and left.

Do y'all think I should break up with her? I asked my friends and they all said it was a slap and I'm thinking to much of it.

Most Helpful Girl

• She went way too far in slapping you. I mean, you seem REALLY upset with what happened and I wouldn't blame you if you decided to break up with her. However, I think you should just talk to her and get everything out. What she did was wrong but if she genuinely apologizes towards you, I would give her the benefit of the doubt (one more chance). You guys were in the moment, she wasn't thinking and she just slipped and fucked up with you. If things have been really rough lately between you two and the slap was just the cherry on top to all the problems you guys are having, then I would definitely end the relationship.

What Girls Said 8

• Her slapping you was over the top! Now, the reality of the situation is both of you were wrong. First you don't go for the throat (both of you basically did). Someone is going to and did snap, every person has a breaking point. She found hers.

If you are to continue this relationship with her you need to do at least these two things. First, address the physical abuse issue, she needs to seek and you grant her forgiveness for her slapping you. Just because you forgive her doesn't mean that you don't forget the issue; but you are giving the right to keep bringing this up every time there is an argument. Once she has proven herself over time that this isn't an issue, you can forget it if you choose. Second issue, Verbal Abuse (or close to it), you again should take the lead if she doesn't and seek her forgiveness for being over the top with arguing with her, she should do the same, this part is a 50/50 situation. If you value her then the answer is to work through it and become a stronger couple because of it. Most importantly you need to stress that this kind of behavior is unacceptable, that there won't be any other chances. Ask her how she would have felt if you slapped her, I think she will get the picture.

If this is part of an ongoing problem that you feel is big enough or you're tired of revisiting then it probably is time to look at why you are still together. If neither of you are able to be happy as a couple, it may be time to part as friends. Leave the door open things could change for the better later.
    Good Luck with whatever you decide.

• I think that you guys should have a long talk first before you decide to break up, definitely because you both probably said hurtful things to one another, but what she did was physical abuse, and that's inexcusable. I'm mean, I'm not condoning you telling her to shut up, no one like to hear that haha, but I feel like her bringing it into physical fighting now is really overstepping a boundary. And if it happened once (her becoming physical), it'll happen again.

• Well she seemed to regret it afterwards since she apologized, and I think it's important for people to give others a second chance and forgive them. But at the same time, I don't tolerate abuse and if I had a boyfriend and he slapped me, I would leave right away. So it's up to you

• Well you sound a bit sensitive. I'ma just get that out the way right now. If you argue with her like that, like you sound like two women fighting than yes you should break up with her.

• The slap went too far. It's your call to be honest. You know your relationship best. Is she the type of person to do stuff like this usually? If this isn't a big deal to you, forgive her. If she hits you again, break up.

• It is your relationship and it is actually happened between you two. If you think it is not acceptable and she has no respect then you should.
    Personally i would.

• There's this saying "if your girlfriend don't like that bitch, then you don't talk to the bitch" lol. Now I wouldn't say it was okay to slap you. However, she was probably upset you defended your friend. Stay out of the girl drama and let her vent. No need to take sides. Give her another chance but let her know the slap was unwarranted.

• Personally, I would.
    It sounds like there were problems before the slap anyways.

• Yeah there were problems during the fight. But honestly we barley ever fight so there aren't a lot of problems in our whole relationship...

• 'We were dumping all the shit we had on each other' - doesn't that imply that there were problems before hand?

Anyways, it's your call. If this was something totally out of whack, talk to her first. Obviously.

What Guys Said 8

• I would break up with her. I have no desire to be in a relationship with someone that thinks they have a right to hit me. I understand everyone has their limits. If you had been making fun of a dying loved on of hers or something really horrible I could understand her snapping, but this was just a lame argument like people get into all the time. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if you were arguing over something really important to both of you?

If there is one thing I have learned, is to judge your future relationship by how the other person argues with you. This is really telling as to how they will treat you in the future. In that moment you are seeing the real them, and not the person they pretend to be.

• You guys had an argument and a heated one at that. Once things have cooled off I would recommend talking it out and figuring where you guys stand in your relationship. Sure she slapped you and you both said some bad things, but I think it might be a tad over reactive to just straight out dump her

• If you had slapper her the show would be on about you being abusive and all that. You are a guy and can handle it, if she does it again, she has an anger problem which long term is an issue.

• Break up with her, she has no respect for you if she did that.

• I'd break up with her.

• Only if its what you really want to do

• Yes, break up. There are plenty of women to replace her with. There is no room in a relationship for physical violence, ever. If someone touches you and it isn't loving, you can them, no need for further questions.

Reverse roles too. If you hit her, do you think anyone would be telling her to stay with you? To give you another chance? Of course not.

• Yes (.)(.)