How many years apart would you date?

after answering a question I started to think that dating 1 year above and 3 below was normal. what are YOUR preferences? id like to see answers from both boys and girls. (men/women...whatever makes you feel good and important inside) =) lol

Most Helpful Girl

• Im 19 and my boyfriend is 24, we've been together for a bit more then 2 years. When I was younger I also dated a guy for two years who was older then me. When we met I was 15 and he was 20.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that age is not really important, but rather the connection and feelings shared between the two people involved in the relationship. The level of maturity of both counts way more then the age.

In my opinion, the age difference we have is perfect. I would never date a guy my age. Guys who are 19 are just looking for causal things and to have sex with as many random girls as possible, they are basically still 'playing the field'. I actually think it's a good thing they do that, cause then when they are older they will have experienced all they wanted to and can then have a serious relationship. Basically, that's what I believe.

Age difference is perfectly normal and acceptable, and long as its not a 15 year old girl with like a 40 year old guy. Yeah, ok then there are limits. But a 6, 8 year difference or whatever is fine ;).

• "Age difference is perfectly normal and acceptable, and long as its not a 15 year old girl with like a 40 year old guy. Yeah, ok then there are limits. But a 6, 8 year difference or whatever is fine ;)."

A 75 year old man could (try to) date a 60yr old woman ;-) LOL

• Hahaha yeah okay, then it's just wrong. But a few years difference might actually be good ;)!

• i use to say i would never date anyone over 2 years, but now that i have dated i would say sometimes dating someone older is better if you are a mature young person like myself. In my experience younger guys just want to explore their oppositions and in some cases try every color of the race rainbow, but there are some guys out there who are also young and mature themselves. so i can't put all guys in the same category because no one is the same. recently i started talking to this guy who is 24 and i'm 18, he's turning 25 next week and i'm turning 19 in a few months. this is the oldest guy iv ever talked to, so i might just wait till i'm 20 then give a try.

What Girls Said 8

• I have gone 4 years older and right now would only go 2 years below. At my age now (24) guys that I know under the 2 years tend to still be in school, having fun and all that, rather than thinking seriously about a relationship. As for the older age gap, my sister is 3 years older than me and I will not date anyone older than her boyfriend at the moment. I tried it before and it just got awkward for some reason.

• I'm somewhat strict... I believe in life stages, and when I look for a relationship, I want to find someone with a comparable life stage to my own. I think the lines/ages of what defines a life stage get blurry the older you get, but that there are definite stages of progression. For instance, my highschool self was very different than my college self, which was very different from my early 20's self, and my now late 20's self. That's not to say that crossing lifestages can't work, but I do think it takes more thought, effort, and communication to bridge the gap.

When I was 25, I went on a couples date with a 21 year old guy and decided I couldn't date him - I felt like I was robbing the cradle! He felt and seemed much younger than me and I was actually worried that I could hurt him as he seemed too innocent. I met my current boyfriend when I was 27 and he was 24, and I sometimes joke to him that if he was one year younger, we would never have been a couple. However, he came across more like a guy in his late 20's... and so far, it works!

• depends on how old you are. and if your a guy or girl.

for a girl under 18: 2 above 1 below

over 18: 4 above and 1 below

for a guy under 18: 1 above and 3 below

over 18: 3 above and 3 below

thats justmy take on it

• Yes I totaly agree that it depends if you are a boy or girl. ur pretty good. you got my age group right lol.

• Im 17.

Younger: About 1 or 2 years.

Older: 2 or 3.

Thats just my take on it tho.

I think that as you get older though, age difference doesn't really seem to matter so much. It's how much you like the person. Whatever there age. Not like a 16 year old with a 40 year old. But you get what I mean. :)

• haha no not at all music is just a big part of my life

• Lol same here.(the music as a big part of my life part)

if I was going to date anyone they would need to like at least like SOME of my music!!!! I make too many exceptions though.....nevermind =)

• i'm 20 I'd date someone 26 27 and the youngest I'd go is 18

• Thats cool. does he have to be obsessed with music also? lol sorry. I read ur description. I can't help it.

• I'm 20 and the age ranges I would date a guy would be 19-24.

• It completely depends on the age of the individuals. My 14 year old daughter would date a 19 year old guy over my dead body. (Though a lot of 14 year olds may disagree...until they turn 30.) A 30 year old and a 40 year old is fine. I agree with the simple "within your category" guildeline, for the most part. My Boyfriend is 3 years younger than I am, but we are both in our 30's. I would not have dated him when I was 17 and he was 14.

What Guys Said 5

• Avoiding possible harm or abuse to the youngest is WAY more important than preferences, "feeling good and important inside".

Focussing on "whatever makes you feel good and important inside" is what makes some older guys preying on girls too young to resist their experience and tricks.

Do not count in years(absolute data) but count in percentage: + or -10%, + or -15% , + or - 20%, + or - 25%

It takes evolution into account

It's best to use the age of the youngest of both as reference:

if the youngest is 16 ,

16+15%=+ 2yrs=18yrs

16+ 20%=+3yrs=19yrs

16+25%=+4yrs=20yrs

I would suggest not to exceed an age difference of 15% of the age of the youngest.

Another rule of the humb I read: take half of the age of the oldest and add 7 years: that should be the MINIMUM age of the youngest.

Simplest way is to date within your age category: Middle Shool, High School, College, University, avoiding 'professional students' of course. LOL.

• On year younger to two years older. I can't date anyone my brothers age or younger because that's weird to me, but I hate those old school movies where the dame is hot, sexy, and filled with life ad promise, and she gives it up because she fell for an old giezer (sometimes they are slighty attractive, sometimes not). So I won't go older than that. It's gross. (for me anyway)

• Jessica Alba is 16 years older than me...

• 2 years younger and 3 years older...its a 5 point spread

• I like a girl who is 19 and im 27 and yes i respect all women young and older