Why is height so important?

Yes I know another height question but please bare with me. I guess I expected people to be a little more open in todays day. Short guys seem to have it the hardest and then tall girls seem to have a difficult time too. So from what I can tell the typical couple who is straight will be a short woman and tall man. I think 5'5 is about the average height for women and from what I hear most all ladies want a man at 6 feet tall.
So if this keeps happening why is it so surprising that taller women and shorter men are more abundant now? When a big man and small girl get together and have children is it all that surprising that they have made a medium sized person?
I am not a tall guy im only 5'7 5'8 on a tall day so I am somewhere in the middle. My dad was 6'2 and mom was 5'0 I landed in the middle of their heights.
Does anyone else find this to be a really ignorant aspect of dating? Is this just an American thing?

Most Helpful Guy

• Height is important because many women have this logic that the taller a guy is, the more capable he'll be of protecting her from harm (which is false), not to mention women want to feel feminine in their man's presence and being dwarf by their man increases that feeling of being feminine and innocent.

Yes its a very ignorant and shallow aspect of dating, however in the world of dating, shallowness is found in everyone. It may not be a height requirement but it may be based off another preference like religion, race, culture, weight, breast/ass size, hair length, jaw shape, wealth, social status and etc. So everyone is shallow when it comes to dating.

What Girls Said 5

• I am 5'6 and love a tall man. It makes me feel "safe" or something. I dont know its all preference. However... I was with a guy who was 5'8 for quite some time and we lived together and he was really cute and we had fun so I overlooked the height... dont get too hung up on it! Just showcase your amazing personality and confidence and you will be just fine!

• Dude, your height is really good in my opinion since I am short. Lol.

Anyway, I think height matters when talking about preferences but once you start liking someone, it does not matter as much or at all.

• Yea I suppose your right. Just kind of stuns me how judgmental this is for people.

• I'm 5'9" and a lot of guys out here actually prefer the shorter women it seems:/ I dont mind if the guy is a little shorter than me though. People definitely tend to be very shallow when it comes to height :/ It's especially bad for me because I guess I'm limited when it comes to the dating pool :/ But oh well, if a man wants to turn me down because of my height then he's the one missing out on a good woman :/

• For me it is I'm 5'7 and with heels I'm 5'11 so yea

• I guess I didn't realize how important heels are to ladies.

• You didn't realize how important heels are to women? Heels are important to men! We created them! They make women's legs & a$$ look better. I think the average high for a U. S. Male is between 5'10 & 5'11. I'm 6'0 & always wished I was a couple inches taller. Most women prefer taller men. It makes them feel safe. I dated a girl in college that was 5'11 & I didn't like it. She was too tall for me.

• Well I don't want a 6ft guy its not a must have

• Im sure not all women have that preference but it just a very common statement. I would doubt the abilitiy of someone to tell the difference between someone who is 6 ft and 5'11

What Guys Said 7

• All i gotta say is don't worry about it being average and short doesn't make much a difference becausr to girls who have a strong preference to tall giys we are all the same.

But here are some reasons why you should not worry

1. Your still taller than most women
    2. Your 5'8 a lot of short women & tall women won't mind dating you
    3. Unless you are in the extremes like danny devito i don't see why you should worry

My friend is 5'5 and is doing well lenny kravitz is your height and he is seen as a sex symbol or yunno prince who is 5'2 who still gets talked about today by woman

I know im late but don't let the girls who are vocal about it get under your skin their no better then dudes who sweat over a phat ass. Enjoy your height

• never really thought of like that but thank you very much for taking the time to tell me.

• Another boy has done this question on a highly populated place such as the studentroom and the majority of the girls on the site even the pretty ones said they would date a dude that is your height.

The girls who won't date you because of your height are in the vast minority compared to the huge amount of girls your height or shorter who don't mind

Notice how most women who responded to the question said they would but only one said she wouldn't because of heels, I hope that helps good day.

• Yeah, the average guy is 5'10, but according to most girls 5'10 is "short". Pftttt as if.

Girls want guys 6'0 or above, but newsflash, that applies to less than 30% of guys in the U. S.

• a lot of women want a taller man but some are not shallow

• i dont know if you're implying that wanting a taller guy is shallow but if you were then its not because its just a matter of preference sure it makes the girl feel safer but not everyone feels comfortable dating someone that is shorter or taller than them depending on the sexe

• @mayagrant126 I can understand shorter girls wanting someone taller but it seems every girl wants tall men and us shorter guys are always just last place

• Because the ladies want to feel protected and so forth...

• I get that but I guess I think its odd that protection is thought of with height. How short or tall anyone is does not determine if they can fight or protect anyone.

• Hate to be that guy, but why would it matter? If someone didn't want to date you because of your height or what not then what's the point in caring what they they?

• Well yea I see your point here. If they are that shallow then they are missing out but still this seems to be a big deal to lots of people and I am just curious about it.

• Okay it not always about being shallow. People like certain things about other people. Example it wouldn't be considered shallow it a skinny person said they don't want to date a fat person. Everyone has a preference.

• I see. So just a very common preference. That makes more sense but I feel bad for shorter guys who are I guess what you would call automatically filtered out because of something they can't control. Or they end up with someone who is just setteling for them.

• Girls want to feel protected.

• Thats strange to me because height does not determine anyone's ability to protect or fight.

• My Dad is 6'2 and my Mom is about 5'2. I landed at 5'10. Funny thing is my Dad had to put a lot of effort forward to end up with my Mom. Luckily their relationship was based off of love, and not height.

• Yea I hear you. good for them and you