Do you have different standards for different races when it comes to dating?

Do you have different standards for different races when it comes to dating ?
While majority of people are tolerant and able to form friendship with people of different races. This doesn't mean we are all open to dating other races. For some people they may only want to date members of their own race, while others are open to dating members of other races.
For those of us who are open to dating members of other race, we often place different standards for each race. In other words one race may not need to be as qualified than another to be given a shot at dating.

A perfect example of this can be seen in African American women in online dating. Where many men will require the woman to be very pretty to give her a chance at a relationship. While a non-black candidate would merely require average looks to be given an equal chance at dating.

Another example can be seen where men of one race need to compensate with a high status profession (e. g. lawyer, doctor) or earn X more dollars than someone of another race to be considered an equal chance at getting into a relationship with that person.

With that being said. For those of us who are open to dating members of other races have you ever found yourself raising or lowering the bar on the requirements you expect in a partner when looking at candidates from different races?

Most Helpful Guy

• I do think there is truth to this. The same can be said of height too. Supposedly guys who are 5'10 need to earn an additional 20k per year to be as attractive as guys who are 6ft.

I will admit I am hesitant towards the idea of dating a black girl. Part of it is I prefer the look of lighter skin and don't really like their hair. Then there are the stereotypes that also turn me off and while I know they don't apply to every black girl they do seem to apply to a lot.

Like I could see myself dating a black girl but she would have to be really attractive, however a white girl or Asian girl I wouldn't be as picky.

So I think you are right about having higher visual standards for the races that you don't find as appealing.

I think the concept of "gendered race" is also a factor...

www8.gsb.columbia.edu/.../gender-and-race-how-overlapping-stereotypes-affect-interracial-dating-leadership-selection-and-athletic-participation

Asians are often seen as a more feminine race which is beneficial to Asian women but harmful to Asian men. Blacks are often seen as a more masculine race which can be disadvantageous to black women.

• It does not seem like you have been around many black girls. You sound very ignorant with your generalizations. Black girls hair differ, so do their skin and features. For e. g. blacks who are descendants of the Ashante tribe has Asian eyes. Blacks from the Yoruba tribe tend to be darker with thick legs and arms. Blacks like myself who has a mix in between are petite with hour glass figures. Blacks mixed with Indians ''dougla'' have softer features; curly hair, straight nose and hour glass figure, and the list goes on. I will suggest you visit the Caribbean to experience the variation of black women there is.

What Guys Said 24

• I'd like to see the person and how they react to their environment, sure you can't help being born into a race, culture, nationaity...
    But that don't mean nothing to me, if a person can make the best of their situation no matter where they are, I would consider them very dateable. Competence over race, anytime, anywhere.
    I'd just hate to think that my ideal woman has to be Asian, Black, White... whatever. In many ways I feel lucky that there so many badass beautiful women in the world.
    So here's an analogy.
    Anyone who says I prefer rubies and not diamonds is a fool in my opinion. Both are precious stones. One does not diminish anothers beauty or value. It never will. I'd be happy if I possessed any gem, because a gem at the end of the day is whay it is, a gem. Ruby, Emeralds, Sapphires or Diamonds. A gem is a gem. And all of them are beautiful.

• "Where many men will require the woman to be very pretty to give her a chance at a relationship. While a non-black candidate would merely require average looks to be given an equal chance at dating."

That doesn't make sense to me though. If someone is attractive then they're attractive. If they're not attractive they're not attractive. I just don't see where race plays into it (I'm not criticizing you just the people that actually act this way). Frankly I just need a person to be attractive to me inside and out and I've met quite a few black women in person who I've found incredibly attractive.

• I think it's possible that some of the appeal to dating another race is that it's a little more exotic, and that's why they need to be more attractive or make more money or whatever. I think that people are more attracted to their own race so another race has to do more to compensate. I have no idea if that last statement is true but it appears to have some truth or it's possible theory.

• Not really,... the person just has to work, doesn't matter what or where they come from. That girl is scrumptious, she looks like she has nice feet

We're all the same at our core.. we just decided to take such a small world and break it up into different sections because to us it seems big when in fact its not.

previews.agefotostock.com/.../osf-016655ora.jpg

• Not in particular, i'll date any race... the thing is what i'm attracted to is very specific and my preferences lean me towards specific races more than others. At the same time if I find a girl beautiful I won't care what race she is.

• i don't really. i expect all people to be kind and respectful as a basis for a relationship.

• No. I have certain standards for what I want on a girl, physically and mentally, that's why I tend to prefer one race over the others.

• Well I have a preference for pale skin, so that tends to leave me with one race only.

• i have my preferences when it comes to dating. I'm more attracted to white, Asian and some middle eastern women. But i'm open to dating all races. When it comes to dating women of my own race, my main concern is that she doesn't fit the stereotype. I'm reeeally not down for it. If they don't fit the stereotype then I'd consider dating them

• Na, my standard remains constant as I go from dating an individual from one racial group to another: Don't be an @$$.

• They're trying to get rid of white people. Suckers eat all the propaganda up like soup. You should be dating your own kind before they're endangered. White stick to white. Don't listen to all this crap about racism. The wanks are warping your minds

• I don't impose requirements on women of different races. First, no kids. Sex within a month and no contact whatsoever with ex's or talk of them.

• No. I go into dating with no expectations. I have my own personal standards, but that's it.

• Nope, as long as we click and mesh well and i find myself attracted to her and entranced by her, race and skin color and creed dont matter because ill love her just the same in the end.

• Well I've only dated a Latina and what you hear about them is true. Those girls can be crazy. She was a handful some times

• I can honestly say I look for different things in different races, and think that some races are better looking than others.

• I don't really consider these things, i am open to everyone, irrespective of caste, colour, creed, race, religion, nationality but gender of course because i am straight. So i never think of such things.

• Men of all races prefer white women simply because white women are biologically the most attractive. The fairer, the more feminine. End of story. Close thread.

• I have broad "standards" and they are the same for all races. Honeslty, I think you are all beautiful.

• nope.

• Open to other races. Treat them all the same.. as people.

• Nope.

• I don't know.

I would say that i'm open to dating any race. If I find her attractive, i find her attractive, period. I don't say 'well if she's black she has to be suuuper hot'.

But i've sometimes thought that maybe i am only attracted to above average black women, while i'm attracted to 'average' white and Asian women.

But I've come around more to thinking that's not the case. I'm attracted to -slim- women. And I think i find -slim- black women with attractive faces as attractive as slim women of any other group

• Friendship I Have Friends Of Many Races.
    Dating, Marriage My Race Only.

What Girls Said 18

• I've never held expectations of my (Asian) boyfriend that are any different from what I'd expect if I were dating someone who was white. Though perhaps sometimes I'll be a bit more patient/understanding with him because of cultural differences that may pop up, I do my best to realize that not everyone was raised with the exact same mind-set and views as myself.

I'd do the same with guys of any ethnicity, though would never accept cultural or other differences as justification for abusive behaviour.

• You don't have to be a of certain ethnicity for me to be interested in you. I really don't care. Consciously, at least... Thinking back on my few boyfriends and guys I've been on dates with, the only ones I really liked were Latinos or Mediterranean type (think Middle-Eastern, Italian-looking men; if it's too vague, type Justin Baldoni and Lorenzo Fragola on Google and you'll see what I'm talking about). I dated one Caucasian guy (my longest relationship btw) and I think that, since it was an ugly breakup, I got "traumatized" by white guys, haha! I haven't dated any since. To conclude, race doesn't matter to me, but I still have a preference for men of "colorful background".=)

• I've lived most of my life in such a small community its hard to answer this. I think I would be open to dating other races but I've known so few people of other races well enough to consider it, mostly for lack of other races being around.

I guess I find I'm attracted to certain types of people and the race doesn't really matter? I don't have enough exposure to other races to know lol.

• I have lots and lots of friends who are of different races than me. My best friends are Chinese and Mexican, and I have many other close friends who are black, Japanese, etc. However, when it comes to PHYSICAL attraction in men I'm interested in dating, I prefer white. It really has nothing to do with the fact they are white except that I like how it looks (not to say I don't like other races look, I'm just not /romantically/ attracted to it). I think part of it is instinctual. The guy I'm currently interested in is hands down the most attractive human I have ever seen in my life, celebrities included. Like I'm not kidding, I'm actually blown away by it. And the funny thing is, we both have light skin, round brown eyes, and dark curly hair. I think people are often (not always) attracted to people who look like them. I've dated guys who were not under this category of course and still found them attractive, but this guy in particular tops it all.

• Actually I have only dated one person so far. My current boyfriend is of a different race than mine.

But all it took was the kind of person he was

Actually, I can say I dont have a preference for his race and he doesn't have any kind of "redeeming" attributes attached to him that could supposedly, like you said, compensate for the fact that he is not of the same race as I am or of the race that I am usually attracted to.

I can say that I will date any person that touches my soul in the right way. And that was the case with him.

Also, I am able to see beauty in all races.

• i see this too often, like earlier i saw a white girl who posted a hdil question and to me she was average looking but a lot of the opinions were praising her and hitting on her then i saw an Asian girl who's also average but there weren't too many positive comments. this also has appeared in the past with average looking black girl where the word "ugly" was used surprisingly often.

since i've never dated outside my race (black), i don't raise or lower the requirements because i just don't date interracially. but i know that a black guy that the average gagger (a white american) says is below average is considered average or even sometimes attractive to me and vice versa is true for me with white people. i see some truth in this.

• I like the same general type of guy regardless of race, shy, slim, kind, has a bit of a baby face, a little dorky, and is into some form of fine arts. All the guys I have ever had a crush on had those things in common but they were all different races.

• no not really.

• I do not know if I will date a Caucasian again. I have three too many bad experiences with them over the last three years. I do not really have a problem dating outside my race. I do wish for respect, care and love from my partner, and no matter the race if it isn't there I will leave.

• Not wanting to pry but I see your from Trinidad. Can you share a little bit more about your dating experience with caucasians and why it was bad? Are you Indian by chance?

• What other minorities are u willing to date? (:

• @SammyCakes I date any guy much less, once he approaches me respectfully and I am attracted to him

• Not at all. I think what's more important is that he loves me, respects me, and that we have a good foundation for a healthy and awesome relationship.

• In my country i can't almost find a people of other races so automatically i like people of my own race. But from whom i met and know i would date people of other races as well. So i don't have different standards for them.

• No way lol they all have to be equally hot for me 😂

• You mean like take advantage of them for several reasons? No.

• No. Like to require other races to bring extra thing to the table to get into a relationship with you.

For example:

A black candidate needing to earn X+ more dollars than a white candidate to be given an equal shot of getting into a relationship with you.

• most of us do it. for me its far moreso governed by cultural difference and family expectation than a persons race/racial appearance specifically. i prefer guys of my own culture or similar enough

• No. I don't lower my standards. I'm open to dating men from any race.

• Id like to think not, as I hate predjudice and racism but in the end it comes down to my type and if I click with someone!
    If I don't fancy/click with someone it wouldn't happen regardless of race and I don't purposely date or not date any race or religion purely based on them facts.

• I dont mind dating other races and I think Mexicans are usually the most funny but... Usually only other white people get my motor running. It's not that I wouldn't date an asian/black guy but, with a few exceptions its white people who turn me on.

• I'm black and white and I find that Asian guy cute lol

• There is truth to this question to