Is it okay for my boyfriend's female friend to call my boyfriend sweety or honey?

She doesn't mean anything by it but i am not comfortable with that, am i overreacting?

3mo Already answered enough < we already came to an agreement

Most Helpful Guy

• She is in the wrong. It is disrespectful towards you and I would bet that she is planning on trying to steal him from you later on and she is just working on him right now, trying to get him to like her more.
    You are not overreacting.

Sounds like she will make a nice spare in case the current relationship goes south. It's always wise to plan ahead.

@fuqthegovt she won't become a spare because our relationship isn't going south and he already has agreed to tell her to stop that out of respect.

Most Helpful Girl

• No it's not okay... it's like another woman calling your husband her husband, not okay? Right?

I don't think you're overreacting, and if it's making you uncomfortable, then you certainly are entitled to react however you wish.

Clearly you boyfriend hasn't set boundaries with his female friends I presume?

Therefore you need to set some boundaries in place (it may be bitchy, but bitchy is necessary here)...

Next time this "friend" calls your boyfriend sweety or honey, just chime in and say "I thought he was my boyfriend, so MY sweety/honey" and then smile at her, don't say it too aggressively, say it in a calm nice way.

And if she still don't stop, then next time you just take her to the side and have a word her.

Though quite honestly, it should your boyfriend who should be dealing with it, and say to his friend himself that she needs cool off with the pet names.

What Guys Said 11

• If she's from the south. So long as they aren't making gravy.

• Nope

• Where I live calling someone that is very common, and doesn't mean anything.

• Do you also get mad when waitresses call him that?

No because they call everyone that but she doesn't. she calls anyone that is a male that.

You're going to run him off.

• Prepare to be cheated upon.

• Lol I don't think it's OK... if any guy called my girlfriend babe or honey I would beat the shit out of him

• Possessive are we? yes you are over reacting unless it's a closed relationship and they regularly kiss and grope each other in front of you.

he wouldn't want guys calling me that either ^^

I don't think its over possessive... its called respect.

@ginger569 It's just a pet name. Respect is not orally servicing each other in front of her.

• Lmaoo

• It's a bit weird :p

• those are nicknames for his penis

• mybe he just try to be cute but u should care of him very well do u understand

What Girls Said 16

• Its not a problem as it can be a cultural thing or tradition. Some people say it out of adoration for the person. But if this is not okay by you, then you need to speak up about this and not tolerate something you don't approve.

• No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no and no. Tell her what his name is and tell her how to use it.

• Maybe a little bit of overreacting but everyone is different. If it bothers you when she calls him that then respectfully tell her that it makes you uncomfortable and to stop, just don't fight with her and don't bottle it up. Not saying anything it will make it worse :)

• I tend to call my friends Hun or love, I don't mean anything by it. Unless you see other flirty behavior I wouldn't think too much of it

• Yes, it's okay.

But if you aren't okay with it ask her to stop.

• If it was my boyfriends female friend and she had always called him that before he met me then I'd be fine with it. But if she was a new friend then I'd definitely have a problem with it. It's like me calling his friends hunny or sweety, I wouldn't. Cause those names are just for him.

• If that's what she calls everyone including you, yes. If it's just for your boyfriend no.

she calls anyone that is a male that.

So if it were me, I'd let it slide. Provided she's not otherwise flirty with him.

• If she doesn't mean anything by it, then yes, you are overreacting.

• no its not ok

• You are worried, yet he is with YOU & not with her?

• does she call everyone sweety or honey

some girls do that

sometimes it's condescending

I love it

• I'm not a jealous person, so I wouldn't really care if it was said innocently. Now if I know the girl has feelings for him, it's a whole other story.

• Being uncomfortable under such situation is normal. You are not overreacting.

• I wouldn't like it.

• In all honesty, you should confront her, not rudely, but in a kind way. If anyone called my boyfriend that besides his mom, I would definitely feel uncomfortable. I think you should just politely confront her and tell her that you're not comfortable with her calling him that. you should also keep on eye on body language, but other wise if it doesn't stop, and if she doesn't listen, you need to tell your boyfriend

• Where I am from that's a pretty normal thing to call people. I wouldn't be worried. As long as you know what she means nothing by it.