Comic Book Trivia: The Amazing Spider-Man

My last one was about Batman. I'm writing one about Spider-Man like I had said.

10. He was written to be more relatable to readers.

In 1962, Stan Lee was looking for a new superhero idea. He decided to create Spider-Man as a character with whom teens could identify, and even went as far as to make him a geek and a social outcast. That pretty much described the stereotypical comic book reader back then.

The rest of the characters back then were Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Ant-Man. All of them were scientists and were wealthy people though. Even at DC, they had billionaire orphans, aliens, and gods. None of them were as relatable.

Bonus Fact: He was the first teenage superhero that didn't start out as a sidekick.

9. He once defeated Hulk by telling him a knock knock joke to calm him down.

Spidey is one of the few people who can calm Hulk down depending on how angry he is. Hulk also enjoys being around Spider-Man (more so than he enjoys being around majority of the Avengers).

8. He wasn't Marvel's first Spider-Man.

Actually, I lied. He was the first but there was a character before him who was a spider that got the abilities of a human. (So I guess Man-Spider?)

7. He was molested as a kid.

This comic doesn't contribute much to the main plot and was published to raise awareness about sexual abuse. It's still canon though. The movies left this out because it's darker and they didn't want kids watching it.

It was revealed when Spider-Man confronted a kid who was being molested by his babysitter.

He then starts talking about another kid who was in a similar situation. This kid was friends with an older kid named Skip who used to touch him inappropriately. He later revealed that the kid in his story was him.

He revealed at the end of the issue that he's still traumatized by that incident everyday.

6. His parents worked for S.H.I.E.L.D.

They revealed this in flashbacks. The movies left this out because of movie rights. We might get to see it now since he's finally back at Marvel.

5. He has an IQ of 250.

For comparison, Batman's is 192 and Iron Man's is said to be around 220-230. Now I'm not saying that he's smarter than both of them, but he's definitely more well-rounded. He's a good strategist, a good engineer, and a good scientist and has less resources. He once created a time machine using only household equipment.

I do think that an adult Peter Parker is smarter than Iron Man though.

4. His Uncle Ben's death is not what inspired him to be a superhero.

That's what the movies have you believing but the character development was much slower in the comics. After his uncle's death, his Aunt May didn't have enough money to support him so he started using his powers to make money instead. The Daily Bugle immediately labelled him as a menace and people started hating him. Because of this, there were less people willing to pay him.

This is one of the reasons Spider-Man gained popularity. The comics weren't about a superhero but about a kid trying to make a living. I guess this goes hand in hand with #10 since it also makes him more relatable. What really inspired him to help people was the speech that Human Torch gave in his school.

The movies left this out because

• They needed a quick origin before introducing the villain.

Sony owns the movie rights to Spider-Man but not to other characters.

3. He has a way with the ladies.

He's had more than a dozen romantic interests including Marry Jane, Gwen Stacy, Black Cat, Betty Brant, Liz Allen, Kitty Pryde (Shadowcat) of the X-Men, and many more. He's only returned feelings for 4 of them though. He's the only comic book character I know of that has had more love interests than Batman.

2. He's arguably the strongest street-level character.

I'm saying this because characters like Iron Man are not street level. Spider-Man could originally lift 10 tons with his bare hands but he's got a lot of feats now which place him in the 40-50 tons range. He once supported the Daily Bugle (which is a a 40-story building) since one of the pillars had collapsed.

He's also one of the fastest street level characters and can run at 200mph. He's 15 times more agile than an average human and his all of his senses have been enhanced.

1. He's Marvel's most iconic character.

Well this one is obvious. He's the most popular one and was the only one most people knew about for a long time. He's also right in front in many of their posters.

I'm currently writing one about Wolverine. I'm probably going to write about Wonder Woman after that :D

#ComicBookTrivia #LTComicTakes

LadyTerror is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 14

Spider Man was originally never invincible like other comic heroes, and often his girl friend , a stylish, ambitious Fox News type of girl reporter using sex to get ahead, was sleeping with his super-villain. enemies. Sort of humorous, in the original. Remember Spider Man was a nobody, a gofer, abused (not sexually) by his boss.

The sexual abuse is a recent addition. Originally, it WAS the death of his uncle that spurred him to fight crime, with a guilt complex.

I think marvel decided that the original story wasn't PC in the modern context of cop demonization.

He's only become a ladies' man since the movies started... He's no longer the original Everyman kind of character that Stan Lee thought could relate to ordinary people.

The first part is actually true.

"Originally, it WAS the death of his uncle that spurred him to fight crime, with a guilt complex."
      I am indeed talking about the original. Uncle Ben died in Amazing Fantasy #15 which was Spider-Man's very first appearance but he was using his powers to make money even after that. He only started using it to help people in The Amazing Spider-Man #5.

Most of the love interests I mentioned actually happened way before the movies but it's true that his character has changed a lot since Stan Lee stopped writing.

For decades, during most of the Stan lee time and a while afterward, almost every Spidey story started with the death of Uncle Ben and how guilty Spidey felt...

It's called character development. You can't expect him to stay in high school forever. Personalities change, especially for someone with abilities.

And yes he keeps saying it's his Uncle Ben's death because it's easier to explain. But all that did was change how he values other people people's lives. It didn't inspire him to do anything about it.

Then there's the Spider-Man statue in Korea they had to take down because people kept complaining about the boner.

http://i64.tinypic.com/ofy921.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/wqynf4.jpg

It really didn't help that they built it facing a playground...

Oh man, that's so surprisingly interesting, there is more to Spider Man than it meets the eye.

I missed the one about the time machine... did he go rescue his parents or his uncle Ben?

He used to be Marvel's flagship character but alas those days are gone. Now it's Wolverine and for the movie set Iron Man. Ever since the Clone Saga the company can't get out of its way in screwing over its best hero.

Agree. His popularity has gone down. Even Deadpool is doing better than him in polls.

You should write one about Thanos :D

recknews.com/.../...-2016-08-29-at-11.39.47-AM.jpg

¸Excellent Take, very interesting trivia, Spider-Man is one of my favorite Marvel characters, along with Silver Surfer and Hulk.
    I can hardly wait for the Wonder Woman Take :D
    Wolverine is definitely one of the most famous X-Men, but I hope you'll write about Dark Phoenix too, someday ;)

Great take - A lot I didn't know - 10 is a great point and I have a inkling I heard about the child abuse plot before, I think I watched a programme about where the comics became more socially aware with addictions, gay characters, abuse etc.

UGH! WHAT'S THE "KNOCK KNOCK" JOKE?

#3 - Kitty Pryde? That sonuvabitch...

You should write one of these about the X-men in general. :D

Lmao I knew nothing about him apperantly

Why is it only guys? Lmao ur the only girl that likes Spider Man or Comic books for this matter 😂

It seems like I am lol. Even for the rest of my comic book takes, there are more guys who commented.

Ikr 😂

He's the only Marvel superhero I like. And the only original one.

And thanks for Dem spiderman memes
    i3.kym-cdn.com/.../cac.jpg

What Girls Said 5