Why do uglier girls get told they are pretty more than pretty girls?

i have some girl friends who are not very attractive and some who are very pretty. the not so attractive girls (and this includes me) always have comments on their MySpace pics saying how pretty they are. I know when people say this to me they're lying. and when I see those comments on the pics of my unattractive friends I'm always confused why people are saying that to them. it's like every pic has 20 comments of "omg you look stunning!" but then my very pretty friends never have people commenting on their pictures or saying they're pretty. I know I'm not crazy because the girls I think are pretty have guys talking to them all over their wall, but not saying anything about their looks. and the not pretty girls don't have guys talking to them but have girls saying how pretty they are. I'm really confused.

Most Helpful Guy

• In the back of most guy's mind lies a subtle prejudice against very attractive women. At some point in our lives we either saw or personally experienced a beautiful girl express disinterest in us only to run off with a guy that treated her like crap. It's not an intense hatred or anything but we tend to have a more aloof attitude towards such women (even though we simultaneously want them as well) whether it's merited or not. As men, we're acutely aware of the effects female beauty has on us and we assume a very beautiful girl would have no qualms using it to get her way.

I guess we unfairly assume that, being aware of our male impulses, that being uncommonly attractive must have gone to her head. It seems redundant to compliment such a girl on her beauty. We just think "she knows." We can't imagine that such a woman would be insecure. Paying a compliment to a woman feels good. Paying a compliment to a very pretty woman makes us feel like just another loser guy kissing her ass and kind of redundant too.

That's not to say, though, that we're always lying when we give a compliment. We'll often compliment women who are in fact quite pretty (like yourself) but have a more humble and subdued aura about them and we assume that our compliment would actually be appreciated.

• You make a lot of sense. but all my really pretty friends are insecure because no one tells them they're pretty! guys will try to flirt with them and stuff, but no one ever says they're beautiful, so they think they're ugly. I'll see them staring in the mirror with a frown on their face and feel bad for them.

What Guys Said 4

• because its clearly obvious who is better looking and people that are unatractive need more.. of a self esteem boost you could say.. then people who are better looking.

• Same here. I think people try to make uglies like you and me feel good. The good looking people feel good enough already.

• First of all you aren't ugly. I saw your pics and you look cute.

and second, all the pretty girls I know are super insecure. none of them seem to feel good about themselves. it's always the unattractive ones who are confident.

• Nope. That isn't so, mainly because I'm not a female. Nice try though.

• cause usually the pretty ones have ego's so big they can't fit through a door. So the 'ugly' ones get told they are pretty more often because they won't say yea I know orsomething like that

• Any reason you have pictures of Leighton Meester as pictures of yourself?

• Because I'm ugly. duh.

• I'm the ugly version of her. like I'm the effed up little sister.

• Well be proud of who you are, and don't try and be someone else.

What Girls Said 6

• yeah I am pretty but I didn't know I was pretty because my mom always called me ugly or said I tried too hard. I guess I'm a different case but I got compliments too even though I am pretty but I suppose it is attitude that attracts people.

people can be pretty and snobby or they can be pretty and down to earth. and people can be not as pretty and down to earth. so people who are 'real' or who aren't too snobby or act too above everyone else, will get compliments but those who are too snobby wont' get the compliments. that usually is how it works.

• I don't know, beauty is subjective. There are some people I know who everyone else seems to think is really attractive, but I don't get it at all.

But I've noticed it too. Maybe people are just trying make them feel better. Also, I think a lot of girls are threatened by really pretty girls, but with the more average girls, they don't view them as "competition".

Also, I just realized I get inexplicable compliments on a lot of my facebook pics from people I hardly know, and now I'm a bit wary. :S

• I think you look good. and I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it. I don't know you so I have no reason to lie.

• Maybe because they have a personality...

• Yeah but that has nothing to do with their pics. if they have a personality people should be talking to them on their wall. not commenting pics. but instead they are commenting and not talking to them. why?

• Their personalities make them beautiful or attractive.Just because you find them not so attractive it doesn't mean they aren't.

• Maybe because they actually think that person is pretty. Just cause they don't look that great to you, doesn't mean they don't to others. I think the real thing you need to worry about is your low self esteem. Confidence (not cockiness) can be very attractive and while it may seem corny, personality is key. Why does it matter that people say their pretty. It makes the person feel good. You're pretty friends may not be getting any selfie action due to lots of things. It may be the way they act or come off. Hell, they may not even be that pretty really. That's your opinion. But it also maybe because there's nothing new going on in their pics. If the "ugly" changes up her lot, people will noitce and comment. The "pretty" girl who does nothing, gets boring.

• ppl stereotype pretty girls as already knowing that they're pretty and being cocky so they would be more likely to tell an uglie she's pretty to boost her self esteem and make her feel good. its very fake

• girls are commenting because they feel they're doing charity work by calling an ugly girl pretty. girls are threatened by pretty girls because they're jealous and view them as their competition.