What should I do about my friend who copies me?

So I started hanging out with this girl again whom I haven't been friends with in a couple years and she's already starting to copy everything I do just like she used to. It's getting really annoying even my other friends make comments saying she's like the girl in the movie Single White Female. She copies everything: my diet, how I work out, makeup, she's even slept with my current boyfriend years ago before we were dating after I told her I had a crush on him which is another huge issue entirely. Every time I see her she wants to know where I got my shirt or whatever it is I'm wearing. If I tell her I got it years ago she looks really upset by it. What should I do? Now she keeps inquiring about my boyfriend asking "Why doesn't he talk to me anymore? We used to all hang out. " She is a nice person for the most part.I just don't know if it's really worth being her friend or if I'm just blowing out of proportion.

Most Helpful Girl

• Whether or not she is worth your friendship is a personal decision only you can make. If you can't handle her trying to be so much like you then it is probably best if you do distance yourself from her and limit your contact. If she is a really good friend besides that she wants to be your twin and it seems like her copying is too much, than try talking to her. Tell her you value her friendship and her opinions, you enjoy hanging out with her, anything positive that you can think of to stress you like her as herself not your mini me. Maybe she just doesn't have the confidence in herself to be her own person so she tries to be the person you want her to be. Encourage her to be herself and reassure her in her own choices. Compliment her on things so she is confident that you will like her. Once she is confident in herself and that you can like her for who she is then perhaps she will start making her own decisions instead of following yours to a tee. If that doesn't work or she still doesn't get the clue. Explain to her that she doesn't have to always agree or do what you do. It's okay for her to think or dress or act however she thinks is best.

She obviously thinks rather highly of you so try to be kind. She just needs a bit of a confidence booster. I would also try to get your friends who made comments to see that also. I don't think she is trying to stalk you or act crazy or obsessive. I think she has just had a bad experience in the past with people not accepting her so she tries to be what she thinks you want her to be, like you.

What Guys Said 4

• "imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery"

• wtf? that's maad weird. she could be insane

• tell her you have a crush with this ugly guy and maybe she'll f*** him before you can even blink 3 times lol

• just ignore it for a while and if it doesn't stop just tell her to leave you alone

What Girls Said 4

• She has a lack of self-identity. Looks like she has chosen you to emulate. You need to be upfront about how this makes you feel uncomfortable. Also, real friends don't sleep with their friends' crushes. She seems on the mentally ill/narcissistic/manipulative side.

Try this: Tell her that you aren't going to tell her where you get your things because it seems that she always gets what you got. Ask he why does she do this? Do this in private! Tell her that you're flattered but it's starting to seem that she is copying you. If she gets offended, then that's great. Why? Because she may start working hard at not wanting to be like you.

• She sounds like a complete tool. I would be nice to her but not make her my best friend or anything. She must have some issues.

• you could call her one of those infamous toxic friends. I'm not sure which one she is but she is. she isn't worth being friends with.

• lol oh boy I know EXACTLY what your going through! I've been in a similar siutation I am now actaully.the girl that I've been pretty good friends with since a child has ALWAYS been like that, to give an example I went out and bought a new designer bag and she went out and bought the EXACT same one, so anytime we would go out people would be would just look oddly, after watchin single white female I compared it to her, its freaky! if a buy ANYTHING she asks questions about it, like where I got and such, and the next time I see her she either has it or something similar to it, if I'm wearing something new she ALWAYS noticies and goes "oh you never wore that b4, when did you get that?" its extremley irritating after awhile.anything that I'm into she suddenly is into, or if I like a song, she suddenly like the song, I'm big on eyemakeup and she actaully TRIES to do hers like mine.your def not alone on this one lol I think that they don't mean to actually act like this, but I've learned to watch what I say to her.especially with guys I know I can't trust her, she actaully started going to the restaurant that the guy I use to like went to, which I thought was fishy.they girls are prob both harmless but you never no, so if I were you if she wants to copy all the stuff, let her, and take it as a compliment, but when it comes to the guys you like be careful what you say ! remember girls will be girls, and more likely then not she's jealous of you and would do anything to see you fall.i just don't understand why they can't just have their own identitys!

• Oh p.s. and I bet its just not the whole copying tooo right?, is it just on my end or does she always have to question about who you were with and stuff??? the other night I hung out with my ex and I texted her sayin "oh when I was out b4 with john I saw blah blah blah" she ignored what I said and writes back "you didn't mention that" almost as if she was MAD I didn't tell her I was with him!