Why do some men think men get better looking with age?

There is some men out there that seem to think men get better looking with age, well into their 40's. Men peak in their mid 20's (imo) but why do some men think that young women are genuinely attracted to 40+ year old men? Often men will use examples of brad pitt or johnny depp, but aren't those celebrities probably in the top1% of good looking men on the planet? I've never seen a 40-50 year old man look that good in real life. Does the average 40 year old man truly think that he could get 20-25 year old women?

I'm actually really curious and am looking for serious answers to this. I have been wondering for a while, because I am a young woman, and am friends with lots of young women, and we never look at older men IRL. The only "old" men we like the look of are celebrities.

So how popular is this attitude or belief among men?

Most Helpful Guy

• me being a guy I do not embrace this

What Guys Said 11

• Does the average 40 year old man think he could get 20-25 year old women? Yes, probably.

I get hit on by more 20-25 year old women at 38 then I did when I was 25. I am under no illusion that I am attractive to most women of any age, but certainly -some- young women seem to like me now. I suspect this may be more true for me then some men - I'd guess the characteristics I have may appeal more to women who have a natural tendency to like older men, and maybe aging had more positive impacts on me (I don't so much mean physically) then for some.

My wife's cousin lived in my basement for a while during unemployment. He's in his early 40's and single. Dates mid 20's women all the time.

I think physically men do peak in mid to late 20's, but it seems that the impact of aging reduces their attractiveness far less then it seems to for the average woman. Beyond that, many women seem to value traits that men gain with age more (stability, wealth, power, maturity). Men don't really go out looking for women who are mature and powerful, even when looking for a serious relationship. They look for sweet, kind, loyal and nice to hang out with. Some older women are like this, some younger, but its not something that necessarily is growing with age to offset any decline in looks.

Short version - men get better looking with age a little longer then women do, which isn't surprising given they hit puberty later and are still growing physically into their bodies well into their 20's (compare the performance of 20 vs 25 year old male and female athletes). But its the post-peak impacts that differ more. Women seem to find aging to be less of a negative in terms of male appearance then vice versa. Combined with increased stature, older men may be finding dating easier, and interpret this (and spread the story) that they get 'better with age'. Its probably more accurate to say that many men don't look that much worse as they age and are overall more date-able then when they were younger.

• Out of curiousity, being a guy, what makes 40 year old men think they can get 20-25 year old women? Because, as a 20 year old woman, going by me and the young women I know, they *can't*, so why would they think that? Are they just trying to hold on to their youth or what? I can understand if a guy looked like brad pitt, but most older men look more like: link The only younger women I know that want older men are after their money only

• I have no clue on ratios. Note that there have been guys on here who only wanted younger women because they themselves were inexperienced and I told them by all means go for it but that it would be -tough-

The girls who -like- older tend to like experience/confidence/maturity. Not too many women are looking for a guy who looks 40 and acts like a shy 14 year old.

There's one other thought ...

• ... If you're wondering why older single guys might hit on you so much. The answer to that is that they can handle rejection better then younger guys, on average. So they will go for long shots and not worry about it. Didn't mention it before because it's a tangent to your original question.

• Just to clarify what I wrote in a previous topic...

I think guys peak when they're young (let's say mid-20s), but then they have the *potential* to stay looking good for longer than women do - because older guys can look good in a different way (rugged or sophisticated or worldly or whatever).

In practice, there isn't the same pressure on guys to look good once they're married - so they stop working out, get beer-bellies, don't make the effort on personal grooming, let their wives buy their clothes for them, etc - so that potential nearly always goes unfulfilled.

As you say though, guys like Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt (and many others, such as George Clooney, Sean Connery, Richard Gere...) prove that it is possible for at least some guys to stay looking good - but there aren't any women who still look good at that age. There are women who look good "for their age", but none who look as good as younger women.

• but that\s the same for men. Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp look good for their age, but they definitely don't look as good as younger men, like Chris Hemsworth or Zac Efron etc. So it's no different from women.

• No, it's not the same for men. If you have a "top 100 sexiest men in the world" list, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are pretty much guaranteed to be on it (eg. Both are in the top 20 here: link ). If you have a list of the "top 100 sexiest women in the world", none of them will be over 50, and maybe 1-2 will be over 40 (eg. link )

• I am far more attractive now then when I was younger. AND HONEY lol I haven't peaked yet lol. where would you ever get that idea from lol...

simple minds makes me laugh out loud !

• Mature and older men get less critical about themselves (and about women!) It helps.

• I'm pretty sure men peak about 30.

• There are enough young women who are attracted to older men, that it has become common knowledge.

"Does the average 40 year old man truly think that he could get 20-25 year old women?"

No. The average 40 year old is married and even in his mid-life crisis, doesn't think he can get a 20-25 year old.

However, he also knows he might be one of the few who has a 25 year old crushing on him or flirting with him, because she has daddy issues or what ever.

• Maybe they think that because men don't usually get cellulite or sagging breasts or flabby bellies by the time they reach 35 like most women.. Just a thought.

• Oh, almost forgot the most important one. You always see younger women with older men but very seldom see a 23 year old guy with a 33 year old woman. Probably because of the reasons stated above.

Unless she's one of those rare hot celebrities that actually still looks sexy in her 30s

• "I've never seen a 40-50 year old man look that good in real life". That's putting men down. At least men don't NEED to hide their face when they reach a certain age. Or any age. The older women get, the more makeup goes on. Jeez, wonder why 95% of plastic surgeries are women. Probably nothing.

• wow. You sound like you have some issues. No one is putting men down. It's true that almost no man will ever look nearly as good as Brad Pitt at 50. That's not putting men down. That's the same as saying almost no woman will look as good as Sofia Vergara at age 41.

• Most guys thinks it looks on why they age well but women are attracted to older guys because they are richer

• Men tend to get richer with age. Money and power has been shown to increase a man's sex appeal to women. Men are also able to reproduce our entire life, but women are not. The human race is designed to be attracted to healthy fertile people. Since women have a harder and harder time getting pregnant as they get older, nature taught men not to waste time trying to impregnate those women. As opposed to the oldest males, which were the strongest and smartest of the men, which is how they stayed alive for so long. So an older man, had good genes and could still reproduce, unlike his female counterpart.

• Not all men, of course, but generally speaking it's much more true that women find older men attractive than men find older women attractive.

Besides that, it's women who have always said men get better looking with age, not men. You're barking up the wrong tree.

• I'm not trying to call out all men for this, I was just really curious as to why some older men believe this myth.

• Men don't "look younger for their age" than women as they get older, but women find men in their 40s, 50s far more appealing than men find women of those ages. That's a fact, not a myth.

• Well I like older women. There's a lot of older women out there that's hot .

What Girls Said 6

• In my opinion, men age better. I work at a fitness club and we have a lot of older businessmen who come through and they're very attractive. I handle sign ins so I have access to info and most of them are between 35-45. Very attractive

I actually don't find the old celebs hot. Every one loves George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio & I'm just like "no"

Most women look a hot ass mess. But almost every woman on here claims to look younger than they are, which is bullshit.

• men don't physically age better, in terms of skin and wrinkles etc. But more men than women don't allow themselves to get obese, which helps them. I think it's just more acceptable for a man to have wrinkles and look "old" but he could still be considered attractive by some, while a woman with wrinkles just looks old in a bad way.

• Taking care of skin doesn't mean you end up looking good. Genetics and lifestyle play a role.

I guess that is why Asian women age better than white women though

• taking care of skin with sunscreen and anti aging products plays a huge role in wrinkles or lack of. Skin care is more determining of wrinkles than genetics is. Lifestyle would be included in skin care and health and general body maintenance...

• I think so too.

• In your opinion, men peak in their mid 20s because that's what you're attracted to.

Every woman is going to have her own opinion on whether or not men look better with age.

When you're 40, you're likely going to say men around your age are more attractive than guys in their mid 20s because that's what you're attracted to.

It's completely subjective.

• exactly. Most young women aren't into much older men. So I was asking why these much older men that don't look like brad pitt think they can still get young women.

• ugh I agree so much. It's even strange to read some of these guys answers. Like at their age are they honestly so delusional to think young 20's women want them? It's really creepy actually.

• I know! Especially when you reach a certain age where you're old enough to be those girls' father...

• Not in terms of looks but money. They need to learn to specify on that.

• LOL I agree with you girlfriend most guys are somewhat cute when younger but gross when older. It's called male privilege

• also men don't give birth or breast feed

• I'd say it's wishful thinking, mostly.

Some women do this too, pointing out hotties like Sandra Bullock or Susan Sarandon who are freakishly well kempt.

Truth of the matter is that young people look the hottest.

However, females ARE more likely to compromise on sexual attraction for stuff like financial security or even emotional security. I do know younger women who will date older guys who aren't as hot as the younger guys they could bag if the older guy is richer or more attentive.

• yeah, the only time aside from rare occasions that it seems young girls date old men is if he is wealthy or has money available to spoil her. I guess maybe older men might be trying to relive their younger days by trying to get women too young for them.

• Older women are sexually attracted to men in their prime, as well. But we enjoy more than just visual desire for a relationship.