Another Question on a Man's Height and His Attractiveness to Women?

So recently I've discovered that a man's height is a pretty big deal to most women. I've never realized that is was THAT important to a woman that a man be very tall. I've always known that women prefer men to be a few inches taller than them, just like guys prefer a woman to be a few inches shorter. I've always figured that a guy who was good looking and fit at 5'7" would be preferred by most women under 5'5" over a guy that was 6'3" and looked like he had been hit repeatedly with the ugly stick. However, it would seem that I'm wrong, at least if I go by internet standards. I've observed some things:

Firstly, only about 14.5% of all men in the US are over 6' tall. Only 3.9% are 6'2" or taller. Girls, that means that your chances of landing a man who is 6'2" or taller is no better than 3.9%, and probably a lot lower than that. You're more likely to be struck by lightning. According to he most recent census taken by the CDC, the average white American male aged 20-29 is about 69.9 inches - just a hair under 5'10". From what I've seen, the best looking girls are usually of average female height, and they are typically with best looking guys of average male height. There are exceptions, but in general I find this to be the case. Rarely do I see extreme difference in height. Heck, I only see a dude above 6'2" about once a week, and I have a job where I drive all over. I think a lot of females have skewed ideas about male height, and that's because men lie and usually give themselves about 2 - 3 inches of height to impress the girls. This gives the ladies a false idea about how tall men are. As a general rule, if he's says he's 6', he's probably 5'9" - 5'10". So what do you all think? Am I right or wrong? What else could explain this discrepancy?

By the way, my height ranges from 5'9" to 5'10" depending on how my spine is doing. Someone's height is dramatically affected by posture and other factors. No one's height is static.

Most Helpful Guy

• Damn, I'm 6'2" and I always figured I was rather tall since I'm usually above most guys, but I didn't think I was with only 3.9% of men. Pretty sure it's accurate since I've been measured before, including at numerous doctor visits, not that I'm bragging or anything (Sorry, really can't help it, lol).

In my experience guys are usually truthful of their heights, I hardly see any claiming to be 6' and I can usually tell if they're truthful by just comparing themselves to me. Of course I live in a more rural area with less of the urban influence of hooking up, so maybe that kind of crowd lies more about this kind of stuff.

I think the main thing here is that a few inches really aren't that much. Personally I didn't even notice I was tall until people started pointing it out, someone who was around 5'10" just wouldn't seem all that short to me. Really I think some people just put way too much weight in just a few inches. If you're like 10 inches apart, sure, but just 2 or 4 inches really isn't that much.

Really I think people just like the IDEA of a tall guy more than a guy whose actually tall.

• "Really I think people just like the IDEA of a tall guy more than a guy whose actually tall."

I believe you have hit the nail on the head, friend.

What Girls Said 3

• I only want someone taller than me, I'm short to begin with

• Yes he has to be taller than me... But I'm 5'2

• It seems to me that "6 feet" just means "tall" and people don't necessarily want someone at or above that. Could be wrong. I also live in an area (WA) where lots of guys are 6' and up.
    I don't mind someone under 6' but I'm also almost 5'8" and so I tend to prefer the proportions of someone 4+ inches taller.

• It's perfectly understandable that a woman as tall as you are would prefer a taller than average man. What I don't get is why these girl's 5'0" - 5'5" say they won't date a man under 6'. I mean, do they measure them or something? And how would a girl who is 5'1" even be able to tell the difference?

• That's what I'm sort of saying - maybe they hear "6 ft" and think "tall" rather than actually 6 ft.
      My mom is 6' so I actually know how tall it is haha.

• I think you may be right about that.

What Guys Said 4

• I'd like to get me a big ol' six-and-a-half-foot Amazonian babe-u-lator, even if she looks like she fell outta the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

• I actually don't put too much stock to this rule because every girl is different; however there is a baseline idea that women in general like guys that are taller than them. My 1st gf was 4'10 and the tallest girl I've been with sexually was 5'11 both were cute as hell. I'm only 5'8 but most girls I've dated are around the 5'6/5'7 so it all on preference or how badly you want that guy/girl in your bed c'mon let's be honest here.

• I am only 5'5" -_-

• :( I'm sorry dude. Even at my average height I've been having a hard time. I can't imagine how hard things are for you. I hope you have people in your life that love you, and I'm sure you will find a nice girl one day. It's hard to get respect sometimes when you're tall, and darn near impossible when you're short.

• Yeah thanks for the support man.

I just need to find a girl who is shorter than me

• Men lie about their height? I didn't know that.
    I'm actually 6'2 so this is pretty amusing haha

• It didn't used to be a problem until online dating. Now everyone is 6'4" and stacked like pancakes. I find that a lot of guys THINK that they're a certain height, but really aren't.

• Lol, that's hilarious. Poor guys.